Author Topic: Help please.  (Read 4141 times)

Offline liferebooted

• Registered member
Help please.
« on: Monday June 06, 2011, 08:44:10 PM »
Hi everyone. I'll start with a little bit of background. I'm 28 years old and I've had eczema and crohn's disease my entire life. Most of my life I was really lucky with my eczema. I forgot I even had it most of the time and the little bit you could see just looked like freckles so no one ever notice. I moved to NYC from Ohio in 2004 and had to move back to Ohio in 2007. In NYC I had no doctors, didn't take any meds or lotions and still had perfect skin.

However once I moved back to my families house in 2007 my eczema flared up and is still flaring. My entire body has been covered in redness and blood for 4 years now. It goes away when I'm on prednisone for my Crohn's disease which is normally 40mg+ but I can't stay on prednisone because of the Crohns and it makes me gain 50lb every time.. Oh and don't forget the back pain it causes.

Anyways as soon as I'm down to 20mg of prednisone the eczema comes back right away. I tried going to a regular Doc and he just referred me to a derm, I went to the derm 3 times but I haven't went back there because its too expensive to pay their office visit when I can't find a job.

First the derm told me to use cetaphil's cream and cleanser which didn't do a thing at all. She gave me a small sample of something called Lipocream or something like that but the sample was really too small to see if it really helped, not that it mattered because that stuff is over $100 a month which I can't afford.

The next visit she had me switch to curavu instead of cetaphil but it didn't make a difference either. She then gave me a sample of protopic which I used on my arms, chest and face and it was wonderful. I have really bad eczema on my legs but didn't try it on them so that it would last longer =\ It turns out that that medication is more expensive that the lipocream so I couldn't get a prescription for it anyways.

I haven't been back to them since then because I can't afford any medications they have my try even though they're aware of the money issue they just have me trying samples for expensive stuff.

Lately I've been trying curel's derm science lotion and it doesn't help. Aloe Vera gel makes it worse, turns out I'm allergic to aloe vera. I've been drinking oolong tea since I read it helps and it did for a little while but it doesn't anymore, for the past week I've been drinking apple cider vinigar since I heard its great for this but I can't tell if its helping or not. I also tried just rubbing it on my skin like people suggest but it didn't help either, the strange thing is that it doesn't burn my skin at all and everyone says it burns really bad.

Some of my known allergies since birth include nuts (deadly), milk, fish, wheat, eggs, coffee, shellfish and aloe vera. I've tried avoiding these items but wheat is extremely hard for me to avoid, it seems to be in everything. However it doesn't seem to make my eczema any better when I avoid these things. I'm starting to think its because this house I'm stuck living in with other people is very dusty and dirty. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could try next? I can't stand this horrible itching. My legs don't even itch during the day but as soon as I try to fall a sleep they itch like hell for 3+ hours even if I have taken the max dose of benadryl.

Offline maryL

• Registered member
Re: Help please.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday June 08, 2011, 05:32:21 AM »
Hi, I just had a comment to make about where you live and how you think it may be triggering your non stop eczema. I think you may have something there.I find that when I am at home, which is the majority of the time, my skin itches and itches and of course, I scratch.My skin on my face is extremely inflamed right now...I am seriously considering going and getting a Kenalog shot to relieve it...It's been going on strong for about 2 weeks now and I am at the end of my rope...I know the Kenalog is really bad for us, but when the AD is out of control, we have to do something to tame it, at least till the next round comes along :P

Anyway, I have found that when I get out of the house, my itching subsides quite a bit, but when I get home, it starts up again...My house is dusty and it also has mold in the bathroom.I am allergic to both of those things, and others as well.If I do housework, my allergies flare up like crazy...I have all three of the allergic triad, asthma, Atopic Dermatitis and allergic rhinitis.Triple whammy.....The itch is the worst thing for me....Maybe you could get someone to clean the house, dust, etc....That may help..That's what I am going to try to do, as well...I hope you figure it out, at least something to help sooth it so you don't feel so miserable.... :)Take care, Mary

Offline liferebooted

• Registered member
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday June 08, 2011, 05:50:23 PM »
Thanks for the reply, I just couldn't take it anymore. Mainly because my face was so red and swollen and my neck too, it hurt so bad to even turn my head to look to the side =\ I have Crohn's disease also so I had a supply of prednisone on my dresser. I've 28 and have been on and off prednisone all my life, I've had Crohn's and eczema since birth. I just decided to take 40mg for 3 days, 30 for another 3, 20 for another 3, 10 for another 3 and finally 5mg for another 3. I feel so much better after 2 days, just a little dry around the eye lids but I don't even feel it. =\ I don't know what to do when I'm off the prednisone since I can't stay on it long, I just have a few hydrocortisone bottles ready to do =\ I'm also using this prednisone time to eliminate everything I'm allergic to from my diet incase one of them is suddenly effecting my eczema. My allergy list makes finding something good to eat so hard, I can't have eggs, wheat, milk, seefood, or nuts which is pretty much anything decent lol.

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
  • Administrative Bleeper!
  • Token Nutcase :D
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday June 08, 2011, 11:26:09 PM »
I agree with Mary about it probably being where you live. You've got it rough: Crohns is nasty enough without eczema and allergy problems. Unfortunately, allergies are really common among people with skin problems... it makes me wonder what our immune systems are doing to us!

Welcome to Skincell. I hope you find some hope and help here. :) :hi:
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline Big Ears

« Reply #4 on: Thursday June 09, 2011, 10:17:03 PM »
Is there any way that you might be able to take one to two months to try living in NY again?

If not, even consider moving out of your house for one to two months.

You really need to figure out if it is that house that contains some kind of mold or if it is the region of the country or something else.

Good luck!
Take Care,
BIG EARS

Offline Madpom

• Registered member
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday June 14, 2011, 07:41:35 AM »
I'd say house dust mites - most people are allergic but i recently found out that on a score of 1-6  6 being worst i'm a five. 

I've followed all the anti mite advice - bought matress covers, duvet covers, pillow covers a new matress (latex).  I've ditched the carpet and the curtains moved all the knick knacks books and general crap out of the bedroom.  I've now got a minimalist room that could have come out of a home design mag.

My skin was heaps better before i followed the next bit of dermatologist advice and went cold Turkey on the Topical Steroids.

If you need a cheap starting place try the mite proof duvet cover and pillows in contact with your'e face, they used to be horrible palsticy sheets but these days the ultra fine weave cotton and synthetic fabrics are realy good.

For Free take everything out of your bedroom that doesn't need to be there.  Take it back to wardrobe, bed and alarm clock!  Pull the covers back during the day and get as much UV on the bed as you can(kills mites).

Offline liferebooted

• Registered member
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday June 14, 2011, 07:07:56 PM »
Sorry for the late reply. I wish I could move out but I have no money and can't find a job, I'm praying to find a real job to pay off bills and loands and eventually move back to NYC though... I'm working on cleaning my room too because of dust mites but its a pain with so many dogs and dog hair. I'm hoping to get the bed and pillow covers asap.

Offline carolethecatlover

• Registered member
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday August 24, 2011, 07:20:17 PM »
 Where you live may have mold spores, but also you may share with the family candida.
How is it going with you?  Please let us know.
Sounds to me like the Dermatophyte in question is Candida Albicans,  this is colonization of the bowel and it grows on sugars.  You need to take antihistamines Fexofenadine 180mg per day to test the allergy.  Going on the Atkins diet will cut all sugars and carbs drastically.   Then you need to do a course of NYSTATIN 4 miillion units.  You may need to do a second course.  This kills all candida.  Some doctors are really nice and give you KETOCONAZOLE at the same time (Nisoral).  Another potent anti fungal.  Do you have food allergies? IBS? The crohns is a type of IBS. 
Carole