Author Topic: Does this look like Seborrheic Dermatitis or PMLE?  (Read 10265 times)

Offline maxpower

• Registered member
Does this look like Seborrheic Dermatitis or PMLE?
« on: Wednesday June 01, 2011, 07:56:08 PM »
For the last few years, I’ve gotten this rash on my nose and cheeks like clockwork every spring as it warms up and I start spending more time outside. It really seems to flare up when exposed to the sun (or maybe it is the heat or springtime pollens?). It usually goes away slowly on its own, but this year it is sticking around longer than it has before (I’ve had this round for about 3 months now). I also had it show up a little in the fall last year, so I’m afraid it is getting worse with time. It is just a red rash, it is itchy, but not really flaky. In the past, I have also had small patches of it (or something similar) on my chest and the tops of my ears, but those seemed to go away more quickly. I am a 32 year old male if that makes any difference. 

They did the blood test for lupus. My ANA was slightly elevated, but not in the normal range they consider lupus. They also did a biopsy on my face today, but I won’t have results for a week or so. I’ve tried a number of creams on it… epiceram, elidel, metrogel, xologel, and a couple of others I can’t remember the names of. None of them really seemed to help. I was also given prednisone, which did indeed make the rash go away… but it slowly came back after I stopped taking it.

The dermatologist mentioned that it could be also be seborrheic dermatitis. I’ve researched it some and the pictures do look similar to what I have. The one thing that I find puzzling  is that most of what I read says that the sun seems to help clear it up… mine seems to get worse with sun exposure. PMLE was also mentioned as a possibility, but I’m told that doesn’t normally occur on the face and also normally goes away more quickly than mine. My general practitioner seems to be stumped. I really hope the dermatologist can give me a better answer, but thought it would be good to get some opinions from people who have experience with this type if stuff also. 

Any ideas on what this is, or how best to treat it?

Thanks!

EDIT: Also, I have been having a lot of joint pain in my right hip (which is another reason they wanted to do the lupus testing). The pain is worse on some days than others and started about the same time as the rash this spring. Is there any chance these two symptoms are related? My blood test showed some "mild inflammation." I'm not even 100% sure what that means... could there be something going on with my immune system that is causing the rash and the hip pain?

« Last Edit: Wednesday June 01, 2011, 08:20:35 PM by maxpower »

Offline e7rick

• Registered member
Re: Does this look like Seborrheic Dermatitis or PMLE?
« Reply #1 on: Monday June 06, 2011, 11:06:59 AM »
Hi Maxpower,

I am not an MD, but I have had pmle for more than 20 years now, so I have seen a lot of cases of pmle.

The outbreak you have actually looks a lot like pmle. However, if you stay completely out of the sun for a few days it should go away. Try to wear a hat or a baseball cap or similar to protect your face from direct sunlight when outside. It could be pmle, but you shouldn't rule out other possibilities yet.

It is true that you usually don't get pmle on your face or hands to begin with, as those parts are "hardened" from lots of exposure. However, if you tend to wear pants and long sleeved shirts (like I always do nowadays) you will get it on your face and hands as well. I normally get it on my ears, neck, cheeks, forehead, nose and the back of my hands. But if I would expose my arms or legs, they would get much worse for the same amount of exposure.

/Richard

Offline sparky7ot

• Registered member
Re: Does this look like Seborrheic Dermatitis or PMLE?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday March 24, 2013, 04:32:40 PM »
I have seb derm and i have to say that your red patches look like the same things as i get. I get it all year round, sometimes the sun makes it worse but most of the time the sun helps to clear it up. when i cant seem to control it and i look like you in the picture ive resorted to wearing make up....... dont know what else to do, thats how desperate ive got, ive suffered for over 10 years.