Author Topic: Comparing pompholyx treatments.  (Read 78198 times)

Offline Big Ears

Re: Comparing pompholyx treatments.
« Reply #20 on: Friday August 17, 2012, 06:36:59 PM »
Quick update:
My hands and feet have been behaving very well in the last two weeks, mostely because I've been on the prednisone and started taking another drug called methotrexate.
Started Methotrexate 2 weeks ago today and the doctor said I should see results in the fourth week.
I started another round of prednisone in the mean time while I wait for the meth. to start working.
I know it is drug induced, but I'm really happy with my hands right now and it's been a long time since I've been able to say that, so i'm not too ashamed to use the drugs to take away the misery.

Have a great weekend, everyone. Esp. you Bama, whom it seems is the only person reading these threads! :)
Take Care,
BIG EARS

Offline nexusangel

• Registered member
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday August 29, 2012, 02:07:04 AM »
Big Ears: I'm so happy for you! I totally understand that feeling. :)

Offline Trifoilum

• Registered member
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday September 05, 2012, 09:32:23 AM »
My sympathies goes for you, Big Ears, and my relief that it's finally getting better! I'm so happy :D

and for ruditoots, I'm sorry about your conditions as well. I hope you're going to get better as well. :)

You know, mentally I still had that....dissonance, that oh maybe I'm going to be fine, that I'm going to be the exceptions, that it's going to be gone just as when I'm a child but... *Sigh*

The drugs idea is interesting-- I'm still taking notes. :D

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
  • Administrative Bleeper!
  • Token Nutcase :D
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday September 05, 2012, 11:42:51 PM »
I haven't been reading the threads that well; I've missed most of these until now! I'm so glad you're doing better though. It's great to see pictures and not get sympathy itchies. With this stuff, it's a case of whatever the heck works!
« Last Edit: Wednesday September 05, 2012, 11:48:58 PM by Bamawing »
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline salvanost

• Registered member
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday January 22, 2013, 10:55:45 PM »
hi, i'm using medrol a kind of prednisone
it's really work for 1 week

after that it's still comes out
currently my hand still no blister, i don't understand something, it didn't affect my feet, my feet still got lot of blister

1week after prednisone
the prednisone not removing the itchy, i'm taking anti histamine desloratadine, but it's not very effective
so now the itchy area comes with the small bubble
knowing it's starting again, maybe i'm gonna take other kind of anti histamine, just to relieve the itching

Offline missmartha

• Registered member
« Reply #25 on: Saturday February 23, 2013, 03:22:27 AM »
Hi, I am new here and have been to the doctor today after weeks of  a very terrible breakout.
I am learning a lot of new things from your posts and I am thankful you all have taken the time to try and spread your stories.
I have had this condition since I was about 10-11 years old and I live in Texas so the weather triggers are nearly an every day thing. I have started prednisone today as well as an antibiotic because my dr. said she believe's I have a slight infection.
I was wondering if anyone else has had a reaction to rubber or plastic or latex. I work at a school and I have to wear gloves when I'm helping with lunch/snacks in the classroom and I have seen an increased outbreak since I started working there.
The swelling seems to have started to subside since this morning, however, i know the prednisone isn't a long term treatment and to my dismay I have read here that the relief with it doesn't last long after termination. :/ My dr. suggested Burow's Solution but she is not a dermatologist. I am in college and without health insurance at the moment so the university health clinic is as good as I can get.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice! :)

Offline salvanost

• Registered member
« Reply #26 on: Saturday February 23, 2013, 09:30:39 AM »
Hi, I am new here and have been to the doctor today after weeks of  a very terrible breakout.
I am learning a lot of new things from your posts and I am thankful you all have taken the time to try and spread your stories.
I have had this condition since I was about 10-11 years old and I live in Texas so the weather triggers are nearly an every day thing. I have started prednisone today as well as an antibiotic because my dr. said she believe's I have a slight infection.
I was wondering if anyone else has had a reaction to rubber or plastic or latex. I work at a school and I have to wear gloves when I'm helping with lunch/snacks in the classroom and I have seen an increased outbreak since I started working there.
The swelling seems to have started to subside since this morning, however, i know the prednisone isn't a long term treatment and to my dismay I have read here that the relief with it doesn't last long after termination. :/ My dr. suggested Burow's Solution but she is not a dermatologist. I am in college and without health insurance at the moment so the university health clinic is as good as I can get.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice! :)

you need to know the trigger
like everyone else
for complete remove the outbreak need 2 x 10 medrol

but to be wise, after the bister and the itchy gone
search the trigger cause
1. keep using the lotion to protect against the trigger from touching something
2. keep monitoring the food and drinks, it's really need tight monitoring cause the trigger will be shown after 1-2 days
for example you can wear cotton glove before the rubber glove
u need to stop consuming suspicious food and drink
3. if the itchy and the blister come, consume medrol and anti histamine again

so this kind of pompholyx need maybe up to half year to know all the trigger

Offline missmartha

• Registered member
« Reply #27 on: Saturday February 23, 2013, 06:44:49 PM »
Thank you  salvanost! Occasionally on trips to Walmart my hands will swell and become itchy and ice cold water is the only thing that relieves it. I usually get mild blister by the next day. Have you ever heard of someone having a trigger like this? I'm not sure what it is that I am touching there that does it though? maybe the ink in on the bags or something?

Offline Mzktlc

• Registered member
« Reply #28 on: Monday February 25, 2013, 04:42:11 AM »
Hello, I've always had sensitive skin but never this, it only started about 1 yr ago on my hands, mainly fingers when I'd just had my first child... I'm still in disbelief that I have it and there is not cure  :'( i tried lots of steroids and steroid creams but they would work as long as I was taking them, and can only take them so often because of side effects , angry at this I found a dr that gave me a script to keep taking on my own free will, it worked but maybe a month later I started getting breakouts even on them. I tried sokes even though they hurt like hell, tons of eczema creams the body shop hemp cream helped abit not much,,    I'm now pregnant again and have the worst out breakes and baby wipes aggravate hands so much, I have to globe up when changing my toddler now, to wash her and myself , to do anything really  >:(. Sence all of this I've become allergic to latex gloves which was never an issue,, they burn as soon as I put them on, and latex free gloves hurt after a few minutes of wearing as soon as my hands sweat,,, I wear cotton gloves a lot, but not as much as I should. They are annoying and dirty easy with a child. I'm almost at my wits end with my hands but am glad that bubs seems to be fine, I just don't understand how you can just get it??   I'm thinking diet may have a big factor in it, but it's very hard to pin point and to change foods, as I hate cooking as it is lol   I have read from posts that you all advise not to pop blisters,, I always have and might stop, there has been afew times they turned like pimples were the clear fluid went yellow and hurt to pop but fell better after. I get blisters and cracking and bleeding and peeling all at the same time. Sometimes it loos like hives ill get it down my palms and wrists. And the itch wooww sometimes i dont even realise im scratching other times i know that im ripping my hands but cant help it, ill often find myself scratching on anything like a dog with fleas lol. Just my first post so I thought I'd put in a lot of detail sorry. Glad I found this forum though. It's nice to hear I'm not the only human In the world that struggles with every day things
« Last Edit: Monday February 25, 2013, 05:05:18 AM by Mzktlc »

Offline salvanost

• Registered member
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday February 27, 2013, 04:27:37 AM »
Thank you  salvanost! Occasionally on trips to Walmart my hands will swell and become itchy and ice cold water is the only thing that relieves it. I usually get mild blister by the next day. Have you ever heard of someone having a trigger like this? I'm not sure what it is that I am touching there that does it though? maybe the ink in on the bags or something?

i got swell when my wet hand/feet touch some surface like rubber for example from slipper
looks like lotion not work properly with wet skin
so need to cover the hand and feet with cotton sock / glove

or careful to touch anything with sweaty/wet hand or feet

Offline Mzktlc

• Registered member
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday February 27, 2013, 05:25:48 AM »
Yes sweat makes my hands so much worse, the pram handles I put gloves over,, if I get sweaty myself I try and wash it off ASAP. It's hard though who wants to wear white cotton gloves down town  :-\

Offline staceyknapp7

• Registered member
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday June 18, 2013, 07:00:58 PM »
 I've suffered from eczema all my life. I didn't have it very severe as a child...and it was only in the creases of my elbows and knees.
Then as a teenager I started getting it on my hands, but its only recently that its become really severe.
It started out with pompholyx, burning and itching. The more it itched, the more I scratched and fluid would leak from my skin.
Over a period of a couple of weeks, the eczema spread from two fingers on my left hand to four fingers on that hand and one finger on my right hand. I was using epaderm cream every 20 minutes in the day and dermovate (steroid cream) twice a day. It didn't seem to be getting better. In fact, one morning I woke up and two of my fingers had completely broke open (I have pictures, please let me know if you want to see them and I will email them) its was so bad it made my stomach turn. My skin would dry out so quick I would have to re apply cream every 10 minutes. It was so sore I started to feel really down. The worst affected fingers nail began to come off and now I only have half a nail (again I have pics). Eventually, I have managed to keep it under control (only over the past week!) although my skin is shiny and thin and still dries out quickly. Unfortunately, last night I started to get another break out and have woke up with pompholyx on one of my fingers this morning. Because it has spread so quickly on my hands, I am so worried it is going to break out on my face, I think that would tip me over the edge 

In terms of what I have been trying and advice for other sufferers, I would say this
get a full allergy test. I had a food and general allergy test. The only thing that came back positive was dust mites (I have loads of tips on dust mite allergies, email me) breakouts stem from allergies a lot of the time

don't use soaps or shower gels, instead use e45 wash. dont wash hands too often if you can help it and NEVER use hand soap, again just e45 wash (its been difficult as i have ocd with hand cleanliness!!)

keep your environment as clean as possible, but make sure you dont come into contact with cleaning products.

dont use cotton gloves, they absorb any cream you put on your hands so just dry them out. The BEST advice I can give at the moment which i  found has helped me the most is to wear latex/powder free soft vinyl gloves that are well fitted. put plenty of cream on before bed then put the gloves on overnight. they hold the moisture brilliantly. overnight hasnt been quite enough for me, so wear them in the day as much as possible as well (not convenient i know but definately worth trying).

I think i  am going to have to be referred as the glove and steroid cream treatment isnt going to last forever, plus its taking over my life and im beginning to think much of it is triggered by emotions!?
i dont think people understand just how bad it can affect everyday life and the fact that its not an 'illness' as such, people dont take it seriously.
taking doctors advice hasnt helped an awful lot, ive had to find out a lot for myself which is sad and i just hope one day there will be some miracle cure.
In the meantime, I hope I have helped people with this article, and I would seriously appriciate ANY advice that people can throw my direction.
I'm only 24 and i dont want to have to live like this forever 
Stacey.

Offline Big Ears

« Reply #32 on: Friday June 21, 2013, 09:38:10 PM »
Hey Stacy,
I feel for you and your situation, although it is a situation that we all know very well and your description of how the hands started and continued to get worse is very similar to how mine started.

This should NOT spread to your face. I have, however, had the condition spread to my feet. Not cool.

Apple Cider vinegar has helped some. My hands laughed at that.
I've used Witches Hazel and helped dry out the weeping blisters.
DRY! that is the enemy. Leads to cracked hands. I've been using a callus remove to grind away dead skin on my hands (this leads to less cracks). If your hand does crack, use medical tape to keep it closed while it heals. This seems to help the healing process by about 100% (otherwise it keeps cracking open more and more).

Hang in there girl.
We are all in this together - in all walks of life.
I'm a 35 y/o male in the NW USA, I know of others that have contacted me from all over our country as well as in the UK and in India and all over!

If you look around this site, you can see that our condition is one of the less severe conditions out there and we are still blessed to have our overall health (most of us).

I've noticed that when I have other "infections" like a cold, or anything that might increase my white blood cell activity, I generally see an increase in my pompholyx symptoms.

Use prednisone if it gets unbearable. I have used it and I swear it is amazing for the symptoms of pompholyx. not good for the rest of your body, but hands and feet get relief!

Hang in there!
Take Care,
BIG EARS

Offline salvanost

• Registered member
« Reply #33 on: Sunday June 23, 2013, 06:40:51 PM »
please beware the cause from beverages too
my phompolyx allergens come from beverages
i remove all beverages i recently add as my routine drinks, coffee, tea, milk, all of them
just to decrease the trigger

if you starting to get phompolyx, better focus recently beverages and check them if they are allergen of phompolyx

the easy way to check the allergens when there is phompolyx sign
it would make the itchy and bubble sign worst really fast in matter of hours - half day

if it become unbearable
try some Antihistamines specialized for night before sleeps

Offline PatrickH

• Registered member
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday July 23, 2013, 09:26:20 AM »
Hello all, I'm new here, suffering!

I've never had bad skin complaints so this is a new one on me. I'm a 46 yo male.

I guess the soles of my feet have been itchy on and off for a few months now but to be honest I never thought much about it, and who looks at the soles of their feet? Well I do now, practically every hour!

It got bad last week, intense itching and pain when walking and I was horrified when I looked. Since then I have had to sit with a bucket of cold water to dip my feet in when it gets too bad, sleeping became difficult and so I got an emergency doctor's appointment yesterday.

He was a bit off hand and said there is no point in a diagnosis, although he said it looks like Pompholyx, it certainly does to me. Anyway, got Betnovate and Epaderm so hoping for some relief in the next few days but I am finding it hard to believe that all the vesicles on my feet will actually go away, some of them are so deep where the skin is thick.

It's also appeared on my hands, but just patches of the 1mm things at the moment. Not itchy unless I scratch.

The deep fissures and cracking on my soles are the real problem at the moment, walking is painful and I seem to have entered a twilight world of existence where from the moment I wake up it is about pain and itch management.

I was definitely under some stress which probably didn't help but now all I do is stress about this. Everything else seems secondary.

Just another day in the life with this thing innit?

I went for a paddle in sea water at the weekend, which was soothing if nothing else, but getting there is a painful walk, catch 22!

When a bit more mobile I want to go to the shops and stock up with some of the other things suggested here. Especially footbath recommendations.

Offline PatrickH

• Registered member
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday July 24, 2013, 08:43:07 AM »
Just seems worse today, lots more bubbles appearing on my hands.

I have one quick question, my right foot has a constant dull ache, in the in-step, away from where all the problems are, I'm wondering if it's where I have been rubbing all the Epaderm in or if it is just where the pain has gone, or perhaps it has been my adjusted walking?

I am also slightly distressed that I have 2 painful lumps in my groin area, that could be because I have been getting up close and personal with my feet, yanking them up to moisturise and have a look all the time.

What a nightmare.

Offline salvanost

• Registered member
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday July 24, 2013, 11:58:26 AM »
from my experience
the pain should just from the crack/blister

1. try to find any different food or drink or medicine recently consume, you must get the trigger from those
tea, coffee, all product prepared and touching nickel metal tool
my suspect milk stored on nickel storage causing some milk product could be trigger
dunno why tea could be a trigger despite tea contain nickel naturaly
dunno about food i still cannot suspect any food exclude some canned food
i'm still not tested them too so i cannot sure 100% canned drink and food were trigger to pompholyx
not all food could become a trigger, for example not all tea, all coffee could trigger the pompholyx

2. buy baby shampoo and use them for bath and clean feet and hand

3. buy small dosage of celestamine or anything similar (google it) and drink it 1pil before sleep
this medicine use 1/8 only dosage just to relieve the itch and simptom, so i thought this one better for long use than use strong steroid medicine

4. buy lotion called doublebase gel, and use em after cleaning and drying the feet and hand

5. buy cotton glove and socks , maybe 5pair to prevent them from sweating too much and contact touch with some extra trigger

6. find any extra trigger, this one cause the simptom worsened, mine rubber and any dirty plastic surface (something that become slick when get touched by sweaty hand or feet)

7. suspect anything from 6 hour ago, if the itch got worsened, that mean you contact with some trigger, found the trigger exclude the scratching activity

8. DON'T SCRATCH OR DO ANYTHING including slapping, use heat water, rub it into towel / cloth, just to relieve the itch from the bubble, it would make the simptom worse

do your best to search for trigger, trigger is anything, cannot depend on medicine
« Last Edit: Wednesday July 24, 2013, 12:02:34 PM by salvanost »

Offline PatrickH

• Registered member
« Reply #37 on: Friday July 26, 2013, 10:14:27 AM »
The betnovate seems to be working, feet look much better but right foot still hurts constantly.

The only trigger I can put my finger on was spending up to 16 hours a day in the same socks and shoes, and then I was in someone's garden for a few days and was sneezing sometimes and also had a lump in my neck gland, some sort of allergy or in my view it was the heat and the flare up on my feet making the rest of me uncomfortable. Perhaps a little dehydrated too.

I cannot pinpoint any changes in food or drink, I don't have the best diet but I do vary it, never had any indications of allergies to food and drink I think mostly it has been environmental factors. I don't drink much tea or coffee, maybe a few cups a week.

Fortunately I have been able to rest a lot this week, which is helping the recovery, boring staying in during the nice weather but if that is what I need to do then so be it.

Offline PatrickH

• Registered member
« Reply #38 on: Sunday July 28, 2013, 08:53:43 AM »
Well, following doctor's orders it's the 2nd day of no steroid use and the itching is back with a vengeance, also I can feel bumpy/rough parts on my fingers where it had been getting better.

I suppose the one good thing is that the pain in my right foot seems to have been a deep seated infection which has drawn to the surface so I am slowly squeezing and drying that out, sorry, TMI, but this is how we deal with this annoying condition. The lump has gone, still sore but I can feel that it is now clear so it just has to do its healing.

Still sleeping OK now which is something, the fissures and cracks have healed up nicely after just a few days but feet generally still very sore to walk on.

In fact on closer inspection the area around my little toe is sore and swollen, I've just done some amateur foot surgery and uncovered another area of infection. I am wondering if that is what has exacerbated the situation, a generalised infection that got in through the foot and made the pompholyx worse.

I am not a doctor but I used to be a microbiologist.

Might see about getting a general antibiotic if things have not improved next week.

Ho hum.

Offline smokytopaz

• Registered member
« Reply #39 on: Monday July 29, 2013, 08:44:13 AM »
This is something that has helped me, and no, I have no idea what causes this skin condition, I just have to try stuff to make my hands and feet feel a bit more comfortable. The part that 'hurts' is when the thickened skin dries out and cracks and splits down to a deeper layer. Creams to moisturise are ok to an extent but I use a foot cream that reduces hard skin, it contains urea. It seems to soften the hard thick skin and make it a bit more flexible, and then it rolls off in the bath. But I am not getting so deep fissures. Who knows, it might help someone else! I use it twice a day, morning and pre-bed time.