Author Topic: Comparing pompholyx treatments.  (Read 78181 times)

Offline TinyArmy

• Registered member
Comparing pompholyx treatments.
« on: Tuesday May 17, 2011, 02:16:26 PM »
Hi (I'm new!) everyone. I have had pompholyx/dyshidrotic eczema since I was around 7 or 8 and in the past 16 years I have noticed there is a whole range of triggers and a whole range of treatments that affect different people differently. I was just wondering if there's any corellation between triggers and treatment and I wanted to ask the other pompholyx/dyshidrotic eczema sufferers for their stories. I hope that by maybe trying to find other people with my triggers, I can find out what has brought relief to them and it might work better on me! I figure if you have the same triggers, you might respond to the same treatment?

What are your triggers and what has worked for you?

I have very few allergies and have had all sorts of scrape and poke tests to determine whether I am allergic to things or not (I am not). The only trigger I can find is the weather. My pompholyx appears usually end of April or the start of May and then continues sometimes as late as August. It has been this way as long as I can remember. And it's not like it is a trigger I can avoid, I mean how do you avoid summertime!? I have also found that soaking it in cold water or rubbing ice over it just exacerbates the problem but REALLY hot (almost scalding) water is infinitely more soothing to it (especially with apple cider vinegar added). Before I moved to the US I used to use a gel called Witch Doctor and it made it less maddeningly itchy but I can't find that product here.
Does anyone know of a comparable product available in the US?

My pompholyx has gotten worse and worse with every year I have spent in the US and this year I have huge blisters on the soles of my feet so I can barely stand to put weight on them. It has never been this bad before. I don't think my new dermatologist believes me when I say that. My GP says that lots of Europeans develop never before seen allergies when moving to America because of the huge difference in air and water quality. Your body tends to react badly to what it isn't used to.

Offline Big Ears

Re: Comparing pompholyx treatments.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday May 18, 2011, 05:28:55 PM »
Dear T Army,
Hello! Welcome to the wonderful world of sharing your frustration of Pompholyx with others that have the same annoying issue!
Feel free to search the site under eczema board for other threads concerning Pompholyx.

Here are some of the things that have helped me:
1) UV light - I actually bought a used tanning bed off of Craigslist to help me here.
2) Grenz Ray - a type of x-ray that can be administered by a dermatologist - grew to an annoying expense given my Kaiser Permanente insurance.
3) Vitamine D - I'm currently taking 1000 - 2000 iu daily depending on the amount of sunlight there is outside (I live in the Pacific Northwest = 75% gray skies!)
4) MSM - not quite sure if this really helps, but I'm giving it a try (1000-2000 mg daily)
5) I recently gave up coffee, I don't really know if it is related, but since giving up coffee i've had no extreme break-out with my pompholyx - only a few blisters here and there.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Keep posted to the Eczema Board to see new posts regarding pompholyx. Lapinblanc and I have one thread that goes on and on!

Welcome to the family!

BE
Take Care,
BIG EARS

Offline carolethecatlover

• Registered member
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday August 24, 2011, 07:38:35 PM »
  I am studying Dyshidrosis, also known as dyshidrotic eczema, pomphylox, and chronic hand eczema.
I am a chiropodist, this condition occurs on the soles of the feet and the palms of the hands, the glabous skin.
Why?  Because this type of skin has the greatest number of histamine receptors.
Causes:
The basic cause in all cases is allergy to a dermatophyte. (a fungus, mold, bacteria or yeast that adheres to skin.)
The Id reaction is by far the greatest cause of Dyshidrosis.
This is the dermataphyte/dermataphid reaction.  Dermatophytes are skin loving micro-organisms.   They are usually fungi/yeasts, however, they may be bacteria, mold spores, a type of fungus usually thought of as a plant parasite, pollen and even a temperature change that results in over-production of histamine.  There is no doubt, statistically,  that the sweaty, the pregnant and gym fans get this more, but everybody of any race or gender can get it. Rationale is that the dermatophytes get more to eat in sweat and can increase at such a rate that a colonization results that alerts the body's immune system which produces histamine.
Many people with this condition believe that it is a food allergy or a nickel allergy.
Most doctors seem  to confuse it with contact dermatitis.  Most doctors are prone to tell patients that it is incurable, and the cause is unknown. 
Since 2008 it is totally curable and the cause has been known since 1999.
Most common dermatophytes that are known to cause Dyshidrosis:
Tinea species:  This is athlete's foot in various forms and explains why podiatrists/chiropodists know more about it than most doctors.
Candida Albicans:  Overgrowth or inappropiate colonization by Candida.  This is the 'leaky gut syndrome'.  Most common cause when this occurs during pregnancy or post partum.
Staphylococcus Aureus: Colonization on the skin without infection. Seen along scars on ordinary skin.
Various yeasts that inhabit the nose, anus, vagina and sweat pores.
Bacterial colonizations, which is a sub-clinical infection, ie. no visible infection is seen or felt.
Seasonal molds.

Treatment:
Treatment may be divided into a) alleviating the condition and, b) curing the condition.
 Many people have doctors who either do not know the cure or prefer to profit from a continuing patient with an 'incurable' condition.
The best alliviating is to take anti-histamines.  Fexofenadine 180mg per day or 60 mg every 8 hours with food. This is a 3rd generation anti-histamine and it very effective against hives, and other skin rashes.  Fexofenadine has a half-life of 14 hours.
Soaking the hands and feet in warm 50/50 dilute vinegar.
Ditto potassium permanganate.
Going on the carbohydrate restricted Atkinsí diet is excellent but will only alleviate symptoms if the dermatophyte is Candida Albicans in the large bowel.  This yeast/fungus feeds on sugars and carbohydrates.
(The wikipedia article is a load of crap, the webmaster wonít let me change it.)

Curative Treatments:
Nystatin:  A very well tolerated anti Candida drug.  Kills Candida on contact in the bowel, does not pass into the blood.  Usual dose is 4 million units per day.
Ketoconazole/Fluconazole: (Nizoral) 200mg daily
Toctino:  Alitretinoin  9 cis Retinoic Acid  manufactured by Basilea of Switzerland since 2008.
Once a day capsule of 10 or 30mg for 90 days.
9 cis RA is one of the 350 components of vitamin A.
This works,   the clinical trails show various figures from 47% to 87%.  However it is expensive at 411 British Pounds per month.  Toctino can only be prescribed by a dermatologist.
Vitamin A protocol (by Marcona, modified by me in light of pharma 101 and experience)

My research:
I have had 14 out of 17 people cured by the vitamin ~A protocol with 2 relapses.
The first person I cured was myself.

Offline Big Ears

« Reply #3 on: Monday August 29, 2011, 10:07:08 PM »
Catlover,
I'm so excited to hear a scientifically statured individual that is looking in the intricacies of the human body for the cause/cure and condition of our persistant problem.

You cured yourself you had mentioned, with the vitamine A protocol.
I am very curious to see your protocol. Can you please tell me where I can see this protocol?

My wife has been telling me for about a year about the possibility of the Candida possibility, but i didn't believe it. I read your entry to her just to show her how right she sometimes is! (to my dismay!).

I am not especially interested in putting any more drugs into my body, but If I could get rid of the cause of this hand condition by killing the candida, I would give Nystatin a try. Are there many side effects of taking Nystatin?

I have so many questions for you that I don't know where to begin.

Thank you , thank you, thank you for your entry. we are all in shock at this point.
Take Care,
BIG EARS

Offline carolethecatlover

• Registered member
« Reply #4 on: Monday January 09, 2012, 10:27:17 PM »
Big Ears,
Did you try any of the treatments?
Did you get a cure?
I was studying in the UK and did not look at this board often.

Offline Big Ears

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday January 10, 2012, 04:44:59 PM »
Carole,
I have seen a dramatic improvement in my condition. The condition is 99% gone, but I still get a few blisters here and there on my feet and hands. VERY minimal and very managable.
I am planning on running another 2 weeks of the two candida treatments to be gone with it.

Very positive results!!!!
Take Care,
BIG EARS

Offline Tammiyap

• Registered member
« Reply #6 on: Friday January 13, 2012, 04:18:12 AM »
I prefer natural treatments for this condition and have searched the internet for answers to this problem.
Eventually I found a treatment at www[dot]dyshidroticeczema[dot]co (it is not [dot]com) that has
really helped me turned the corner on my condition.  Finally, the misery is improving substantially.

Offline Alohamora

• SkinCell God
« Reply #7 on: Monday January 16, 2012, 01:38:41 AM »
It's been a long time since I've posted here, but I wanted to come back and report my success.

My triggers were foods, chocolate and cashew nuts were the worst. 

I have have had almost no problems in the last few years, I can now eat chocolate every day (except for what the sugar does to my waistline).

I attribute this to overall better diet, more natural foods and less processed foods. I am far from perfect at maintaining a natural diet, but I try. I do not avoid dairy, in fact, I eat lots of cheese, eggs, yogurt and cottage cheese.

Supplements I take -

Zinc - 30 mg a day. I think this is a key, I had a small flareup of blisters when I stopped the zinc for a couple of months and they disappeared as soon as I started it again.

Vitamin D - I take 5000 IU a day, only in the winter.  I can't prove this helps, but some people say it does. I will continue for the general immune system support. In the summer, I try to get some sunlight for natural Vitamin D production.

B Vitamins, especially B6.

Flax seed oil - 1000 to 2000 mg a day. This used to help reduce the itching very quickly when I was having a flair-up so I continue, along with 2000 mg of fish oil a day. The fish oil by itself never helped short term the way the flax seed oil did, but I do fish oil because of it's general health benefits.

Vitamin C - This never made a lick of difference in my skin, but it does help my allergies (hay fever) immensely. Just listing it in case there is some synergystic effect with something else listed above.

I do avoid most hand lotions and creams. When my skin was bad, they just made it hurt much worse. Memory of that pain keeps me from trying them again. 

You are what you eat.

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
  • Administrative Bleeper!
  • Token Nutcase :D
« Reply #8 on: Monday February 13, 2012, 03:42:53 PM »
Glad you found something that worked, Alohamora! I've also been very cautious about eating organics as much as possible. (I'm finally converting my parents!) It may have helped my skin, but has definitely helped what Mama tactfully refers to as "lady problems."
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline Big Ears

« Reply #9 on: Thursday March 29, 2012, 04:38:06 PM »
 :-\
Hello everyone.
My pompholyx was soooooo much better on the first go around with Carolthecatlover's recommendation of Nystatin and Nizorol.
It's been about 3 months since this and I have done one more round of the Nystatin and Nizorol but my hands are not responding this time the same way.
I will try the Nystatin and Nizorol one more time and then proceed to the Vit. A protocol, although I have used a Vit. A derivative before and did not like the way my skin (other than my pompholyx) responded to it. Very dry skin on face and especially lips, and my hands and feet were more sensitive. Not to mention I started chafing on my waistband - which I've never had in my entire life. Uuuuhhh, did I mention that my body hair almost all fell out?
So we will try the Nystatin and Nisorol once again.
more to come....
Take Care,
BIG EARS

Offline itchyasaurus

• Registered member
« Reply #10 on: Friday June 15, 2012, 05:02:13 PM »
Hi all, I am new here too. I will start with what I have used that has helped:

*Coconut oil/lotion worked brilliantly on hands! Almost as good as prescribed lotion.
*Salt water hand/foot baths to alleviate the itching and dry out the blisters.
*Salt water baths in general
*Dermol500 (for use instead of soap)
*Fexofenadine antihistamine
*Regular vitamin c
*Infrared heat lamps to alleviate itching and pain of swelling under skin.
*E45 itch relief cream
*Oilatum in baths.
(because I have very bad hives its usually tepid or cold baths for me).

I suspect the dyshidrosis I have was either a side effect from increased dosage of medication, from a skin infection or fungal overgrowth.

Offline Big Ears

« Reply #11 on: Friday June 15, 2012, 05:07:18 PM »
Thanks for the info, Itchyasaurus.
Since my last posting, I have tried the Nystatin and Nizorol combo again and to no avail.
I have gone to prednisone and what a miracle. Not to say that it dosn't come with it's own side effects, but my condition is much more controlled since starting the prednisone.
I like the suggestion about the Fexofenadine. I'll give that a whirl next time I'm off the prednisone.

Welcome to Skincell!
Take Care,
BIG EARS

Offline itchyasaurus

• Registered member
« Reply #12 on: Friday June 15, 2012, 05:18:46 PM »
I was prescribed Prednisone too as I couldn't bare the itching and went to an out of hours clinic.
It helped for a while, but being a steroid I only had a short course. If its the one I'm thinking of I had to take 6 a day.
Don't laugh, but I assumed that meant 6 all at once instead of spreading them through the day.
I was done with them pretty quickly and noticed less itching while I was taking them..but the blisters did come back and to be honest I didn't like the thought of being on them for any longer than that.
I do experiment with different "cures" on myself all the time, so will let you know if anything gets rid of it altogether.
I know it seems far-fetched, but regular salt water baths have helped most, that's why I put that near the top of the list.
Things like menthol vapour rubs work to get rid of the itching too..best not to put it on cracked skin though.

Offline Trifoilum

• Registered member
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday July 03, 2012, 02:13:47 PM »
Salt water; interesting. O_O can you tell me more?
what salt do you use? Are you using cold water as well? How long do you soak yourself?

Offline Big Ears

« Reply #14 on: Friday July 27, 2012, 04:56:37 PM »
Alright y'all, so Prednisone for me is the cat's meow. Too bad it's only treating the outbreak and not the cause of the outbreak.
I have gone off of it all together now (doctor says I cannot keep taking it cause it will cause bad things in my body) and my condition is urrupting like Mt. St. Helens. Here are a few shots for sympathy votes.
The "no pickey" rule it getting very hard to follow. I find myself picking at my hands all the time and I hate it!
The description on most websites (including this one) say that there is a period of blistering followed by a period of crusting and peeling. Can it be so!?!?! I'm blistering and peeling and crusting and cracking all at once. There seems to be no end, but I'm just getting frusterated, I think.
Back to the tanning bed, I guess. I will try some new things and report back here, but I just wanted to touch base with all y'all.
Take Care,
BIG EARS

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday August 07, 2012, 06:46:38 PM »
Oh my gosh that makes me... I keep typing a word or two and then squeezing my hands together. Oh that looks so awful.

I've also had it cracking/peeling and blistering at the same time, and it's a new kind of hell. :( Hope the tanning bed gets some decent results quickly!
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline Big Ears

« Reply #16 on: Tuesday August 07, 2012, 10:14:35 PM »
Tanning bed did very little for my hands and feet. I did get a killer tan, though! ::)
It seems like when I go off of the prednisone it is the worst.

Dermatologist put me on a new drug - should start working in 3-4 weeks - methotrexate. This one works more like a systemic action rather than a local or a skin only drug. Prednisone is the only other systemic action drug that I've used and it works like a dream.

Just after my recent derm. appointment, my wife came home from India (she goes there for work) with a small surprise for me - About 10 foil packs of predinsone! She really loves me!!!! ;D I found out from my doctor that I can take the prednisone while taking the methotrexate and all is well. They work on two different mechanisms. I had blood and urine work done to make sure that I'm all good, though.

I'm posting more pictures to keep the documentation alive.

Hope everyone is doing well out there.
Take Care,
BIG EARS

Offline ruditoots

• Registered member
« Reply #17 on: Thursday August 16, 2012, 03:52:06 PM »
Hi,
I am new here after finding this forum today! I have suffered with pompholyx for about 20 years. I am now 23 and am no closer to understanding it, only managing it. My first ever breakout was when I was very young. I used to wear jelly sandals in the summer months and turns out I was allergic to rubber, I spent many years unaware of this so my mum kept putting me in these sandals so the 'air could get to my feet', she felt very guilty when I was diagnosed with a rubber allergy at about 5 years old! The doctors said they had never seen such bad dermatitis and I used to have to go for weekly appointments to have dead skin cut from my feet and have iodine patches applied and my feet bandaged! I learnt to deal with it quite quickly, and even to this day find myself walking on the sides of my feet, even when they are clear of dermatits!

I then developed it on my hands at about 6 years old. I remember waking up one morning with really stiff itchy hands, and discovering I had fallen asleep on top of some face paint crayons which had melted all over my hands and arms, I think the heat and greasyness triggered a reaction and broke me out. I have had it ever since!

At first I would spend every other week at the doctors getting various creams and ointments, which never worked they just made me sting really bad! If I had a break out on my hands I wouldnt be able to hold anything and would have to sit out of lessons at school. If I had it on my feet I would have to hobble around in agony and sit out of sports lessons. As a direct result of the dermatitis on my feet, I am incredibly self concious of them and very rarely go bare foot in public, and would always insist on wearing socks in sports lessons.

Eventually I realised that there was no instant cure and you basically have to ride it out, making sure youre as comfortable as possible! Now I am able to manage it better and not freak out about it so much, although if a breakout lasts a long time I do get depressed and incredibly self conscious and sit and sob for a while! People dont realise how badly it affects you! I cant wash or tie up my hair, cant tidy, cant walk properly, cant do up my bra in the morning or take my underwear down to go to the toilet, let alone wipe properly after!!!! I think people always think I am over reacting a bit!

My triggers are: - My rubber allergy (most shoes!, socks, rubber gloves, bike/pushchair handles, toothbrush/hairbrush handles.... the list goes on!) - Hot weather that cause my hands and feet to sweat alot. - And wet shoes! If I get caught in the rain and my shoes get wet, through to my socks, I will definitely break out everytime. I obviously try avoiding this as much as I can but living in the UK makes it hard as our weather is so unpredicatble! I spent yesterday at a wildlife park and it POURED with rain, my shoes were soaking and there was nothing I could do:( I got home and washed them straight away and smothered them in cream and took an antihistamine, by the evening thye were very prickly, and woke up this morning with blistered toes and heels!

For the first time I think I am going to keep a 'break out diary' and keep record of everything I put on them and how they heal. Later on I am going to try a vinegar foot soak to try and dry the blisters out. I used to pop them with a sterile needle, but I found that the small hole it created in the skin promoted the skin to crack and split more when it dries. Now I leave them, or spray a deodarising foor spray on them, until they drain by themselves and them moisturise daily.

I dont know about other people, but for me the blistering part is the worst bit for me, as its so uncomfortable and itchy. Dry split skin I can manage, with moisturising and removing dead skin, but the blisters are unbearable, the feeling of pressure they create is horrible! The worst thing is, I can always tell when they are going to blister before it happens, and I cant do anything to prevent it :(

Anyway, sorry for the essay, Im just happy to find somewhere with people who understand exactly what I have been going through for the last 20 years! It can be quite sad and lonely dealing with the worst of this!

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: Thursday August 16, 2012, 07:17:15 PM »
Hey Ruditoots, and welcome! :hi:

Don't know if you wanted to keep a "brick and mortar" journal or not, but if you want to keep one online, we've got a space for that here. I know that it did help me identify a pattern - it always starts on one of my fingers.

http://www.skincell.org/community/index.php/board,36.0.html

Good luck finding patterns of your own! And good luck with the vinegar soak. I was the same way when it came to puncturing the blisters, and I came to the same conclusion. So maybe our skin is alike enough to where vinegar will help you. It's awful about your triggers, though... you can't get your feet wet and you can't wear wellies. Talk about unfair!

Offline ruditoots

• Registered member
« Reply #19 on: Friday August 17, 2012, 05:35:02 PM »
Thanks Bamawing!
Maybe I will keep one on here, might inspire me to keep at it! Its quite hard to be consistent with treatments, as I obvioulsy have to work and run errands etc, so its not always convinient to bathe my feet/hands, apply creams... but I am trying hard! Did a vinegar soak last night but didnt notice much difference after one, although the cold water was nice and soothing! I have been rinsing my feet every time I come home from walking in hot shoes and that has definitely made a diiference. I have had complications previously regarding athletes foot developing on the affected areas, which made everything so much more uncomfortable! Have also been applying emollient with a few drops of tea tree oil to ward off any secondary infections!

Offline Big Ears

« Reply #20 on: Friday August 17, 2012, 06:36:59 PM »
Quick update:
My hands and feet have been behaving very well in the last two weeks, mostely because I've been on the prednisone and started taking another drug called methotrexate.
Started Methotrexate 2 weeks ago today and the doctor said I should see results in the fourth week.
I started another round of prednisone in the mean time while I wait for the meth. to start working.
I know it is drug induced, but I'm really happy with my hands right now and it's been a long time since I've been able to say that, so i'm not too ashamed to use the drugs to take away the misery.

Have a great weekend, everyone. Esp. you Bama, whom it seems is the only person reading these threads! :)
Take Care,
BIG EARS

Offline nexusangel

• Registered member
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday August 29, 2012, 02:07:04 AM »
Big Ears: I'm so happy for you! I totally understand that feeling. :)

Offline Trifoilum

• Registered member
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday September 05, 2012, 09:32:23 AM »
My sympathies goes for you, Big Ears, and my relief that it's finally getting better! I'm so happy :D

and for ruditoots, I'm sorry about your conditions as well. I hope you're going to get better as well. :)

You know, mentally I still had that....dissonance, that oh maybe I'm going to be fine, that I'm going to be the exceptions, that it's going to be gone just as when I'm a child but... *Sigh*

The drugs idea is interesting-- I'm still taking notes. :D

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday September 05, 2012, 11:42:51 PM »
I haven't been reading the threads that well; I've missed most of these until now! I'm so glad you're doing better though. It's great to see pictures and not get sympathy itchies. With this stuff, it's a case of whatever the heck works!
« Last Edit: Wednesday September 05, 2012, 11:48:58 PM by Bamawing »

Offline salvanost

• Registered member
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday January 22, 2013, 10:55:45 PM »
hi, i'm using medrol a kind of prednisone
it's really work for 1 week

after that it's still comes out
currently my hand still no blister, i don't understand something, it didn't affect my feet, my feet still got lot of blister

1week after prednisone
the prednisone not removing the itchy, i'm taking anti histamine desloratadine, but it's not very effective
so now the itchy area comes with the small bubble
knowing it's starting again, maybe i'm gonna take other kind of anti histamine, just to relieve the itching

Offline missmartha

• Registered member
« Reply #25 on: Saturday February 23, 2013, 03:22:27 AM »
Hi, I am new here and have been to the doctor today after weeks of  a very terrible breakout.
I am learning a lot of new things from your posts and I am thankful you all have taken the time to try and spread your stories.
I have had this condition since I was about 10-11 years old and I live in Texas so the weather triggers are nearly an every day thing. I have started prednisone today as well as an antibiotic because my dr. said she believe's I have a slight infection.
I was wondering if anyone else has had a reaction to rubber or plastic or latex. I work at a school and I have to wear gloves when I'm helping with lunch/snacks in the classroom and I have seen an increased outbreak since I started working there.
The swelling seems to have started to subside since this morning, however, i know the prednisone isn't a long term treatment and to my dismay I have read here that the relief with it doesn't last long after termination. :/ My dr. suggested Burow's Solution but she is not a dermatologist. I am in college and without health insurance at the moment so the university health clinic is as good as I can get.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice! :)

Offline salvanost

• Registered member
« Reply #26 on: Saturday February 23, 2013, 09:30:39 AM »
Hi, I am new here and have been to the doctor today after weeks of  a very terrible breakout.
I am learning a lot of new things from your posts and I am thankful you all have taken the time to try and spread your stories.
I have had this condition since I was about 10-11 years old and I live in Texas so the weather triggers are nearly an every day thing. I have started prednisone today as well as an antibiotic because my dr. said she believe's I have a slight infection.
I was wondering if anyone else has had a reaction to rubber or plastic or latex. I work at a school and I have to wear gloves when I'm helping with lunch/snacks in the classroom and I have seen an increased outbreak since I started working there.
The swelling seems to have started to subside since this morning, however, i know the prednisone isn't a long term treatment and to my dismay I have read here that the relief with it doesn't last long after termination. :/ My dr. suggested Burow's Solution but she is not a dermatologist. I am in college and without health insurance at the moment so the university health clinic is as good as I can get.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice! :)

you need to know the trigger
like everyone else
for complete remove the outbreak need 2 x 10 medrol

but to be wise, after the bister and the itchy gone
search the trigger cause
1. keep using the lotion to protect against the trigger from touching something
2. keep monitoring the food and drinks, it's really need tight monitoring cause the trigger will be shown after 1-2 days
for example you can wear cotton glove before the rubber glove
u need to stop consuming suspicious food and drink
3. if the itchy and the blister come, consume medrol and anti histamine again

so this kind of pompholyx need maybe up to half year to know all the trigger

Offline missmartha

• Registered member
« Reply #27 on: Saturday February 23, 2013, 06:44:49 PM »
Thank you  salvanost! Occasionally on trips to Walmart my hands will swell and become itchy and ice cold water is the only thing that relieves it. I usually get mild blister by the next day. Have you ever heard of someone having a trigger like this? I'm not sure what it is that I am touching there that does it though? maybe the ink in on the bags or something?

Offline Mzktlc

• Registered member
« Reply #28 on: Monday February 25, 2013, 04:42:11 AM »
Hello, I've always had sensitive skin but never this, it only started about 1 yr ago on my hands, mainly fingers when I'd just had my first child... I'm still in disbelief that I have it and there is not cure  :'( i tried lots of steroids and steroid creams but they would work as long as I was taking them, and can only take them so often because of side effects , angry at this I found a dr that gave me a script to keep taking on my own free will, it worked but maybe a month later I started getting breakouts even on them. I tried sokes even though they hurt like hell, tons of eczema creams the body shop hemp cream helped abit not much,,    I'm now pregnant again and have the worst out breakes and baby wipes aggravate hands so much, I have to globe up when changing my toddler now, to wash her and myself , to do anything really  >:(. Sence all of this I've become allergic to latex gloves which was never an issue,, they burn as soon as I put them on, and latex free gloves hurt after a few minutes of wearing as soon as my hands sweat,,, I wear cotton gloves a lot, but not as much as I should. They are annoying and dirty easy with a child. I'm almost at my wits end with my hands but am glad that bubs seems to be fine, I just don't understand how you can just get it??   I'm thinking diet may have a big factor in it, but it's very hard to pin point and to change foods, as I hate cooking as it is lol   I have read from posts that you all advise not to pop blisters,, I always have and might stop, there has been afew times they turned like pimples were the clear fluid went yellow and hurt to pop but fell better after. I get blisters and cracking and bleeding and peeling all at the same time. Sometimes it loos like hives ill get it down my palms and wrists. And the itch wooww sometimes i dont even realise im scratching other times i know that im ripping my hands but cant help it, ill often find myself scratching on anything like a dog with fleas lol. Just my first post so I thought I'd put in a lot of detail sorry. Glad I found this forum though. It's nice to hear I'm not the only human In the world that struggles with every day things
« Last Edit: Monday February 25, 2013, 05:05:18 AM by Mzktlc »

Offline salvanost

• Registered member
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday February 27, 2013, 04:27:37 AM »
Thank you  salvanost! Occasionally on trips to Walmart my hands will swell and become itchy and ice cold water is the only thing that relieves it. I usually get mild blister by the next day. Have you ever heard of someone having a trigger like this? I'm not sure what it is that I am touching there that does it though? maybe the ink in on the bags or something?

i got swell when my wet hand/feet touch some surface like rubber for example from slipper
looks like lotion not work properly with wet skin
so need to cover the hand and feet with cotton sock / glove

or careful to touch anything with sweaty/wet hand or feet

Offline Mzktlc

• Registered member
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday February 27, 2013, 05:25:48 AM »
Yes sweat makes my hands so much worse, the pram handles I put gloves over,, if I get sweaty myself I try and wash it off ASAP. It's hard though who wants to wear white cotton gloves down town  :-\

Offline staceyknapp7

• Registered member
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday June 18, 2013, 07:00:58 PM »
 I've suffered from eczema all my life. I didn't have it very severe as a child...and it was only in the creases of my elbows and knees.
Then as a teenager I started getting it on my hands, but its only recently that its become really severe.
It started out with pompholyx, burning and itching. The more it itched, the more I scratched and fluid would leak from my skin.
Over a period of a couple of weeks, the eczema spread from two fingers on my left hand to four fingers on that hand and one finger on my right hand. I was using epaderm cream every 20 minutes in the day and dermovate (steroid cream) twice a day. It didn't seem to be getting better. In fact, one morning I woke up and two of my fingers had completely broke open (I have pictures, please let me know if you want to see them and I will email them) its was so bad it made my stomach turn. My skin would dry out so quick I would have to re apply cream every 10 minutes. It was so sore I started to feel really down. The worst affected fingers nail began to come off and now I only have half a nail (again I have pics). Eventually, I have managed to keep it under control (only over the past week!) although my skin is shiny and thin and still dries out quickly. Unfortunately, last night I started to get another break out and have woke up with pompholyx on one of my fingers this morning. Because it has spread so quickly on my hands, I am so worried it is going to break out on my face, I think that would tip me over the edge 

In terms of what I have been trying and advice for other sufferers, I would say this
get a full allergy test. I had a food and general allergy test. The only thing that came back positive was dust mites (I have loads of tips on dust mite allergies, email me) breakouts stem from allergies a lot of the time

don't use soaps or shower gels, instead use e45 wash. dont wash hands too often if you can help it and NEVER use hand soap, again just e45 wash (its been difficult as i have ocd with hand cleanliness!!)

keep your environment as clean as possible, but make sure you dont come into contact with cleaning products.

dont use cotton gloves, they absorb any cream you put on your hands so just dry them out. The BEST advice I can give at the moment which i  found has helped me the most is to wear latex/powder free soft vinyl gloves that are well fitted. put plenty of cream on before bed then put the gloves on overnight. they hold the moisture brilliantly. overnight hasnt been quite enough for me, so wear them in the day as much as possible as well (not convenient i know but definately worth trying).

I think i  am going to have to be referred as the glove and steroid cream treatment isnt going to last forever, plus its taking over my life and im beginning to think much of it is triggered by emotions!?
i dont think people understand just how bad it can affect everyday life and the fact that its not an 'illness' as such, people dont take it seriously.
taking doctors advice hasnt helped an awful lot, ive had to find out a lot for myself which is sad and i just hope one day there will be some miracle cure.
In the meantime, I hope I have helped people with this article, and I would seriously appriciate ANY advice that people can throw my direction.
I'm only 24 and i dont want to have to live like this forever 
Stacey.

Offline Big Ears

« Reply #32 on: Friday June 21, 2013, 09:38:10 PM »
Hey Stacy,
I feel for you and your situation, although it is a situation that we all know very well and your description of how the hands started and continued to get worse is very similar to how mine started.

This should NOT spread to your face. I have, however, had the condition spread to my feet. Not cool.

Apple Cider vinegar has helped some. My hands laughed at that.
I've used Witches Hazel and helped dry out the weeping blisters.
DRY! that is the enemy. Leads to cracked hands. I've been using a callus remove to grind away dead skin on my hands (this leads to less cracks). If your hand does crack, use medical tape to keep it closed while it heals. This seems to help the healing process by about 100% (otherwise it keeps cracking open more and more).

Hang in there girl.
We are all in this together - in all walks of life.
I'm a 35 y/o male in the NW USA, I know of others that have contacted me from all over our country as well as in the UK and in India and all over!

If you look around this site, you can see that our condition is one of the less severe conditions out there and we are still blessed to have our overall health (most of us).

I've noticed that when I have other "infections" like a cold, or anything that might increase my white blood cell activity, I generally see an increase in my pompholyx symptoms.

Use prednisone if it gets unbearable. I have used it and I swear it is amazing for the symptoms of pompholyx. not good for the rest of your body, but hands and feet get relief!

Hang in there!
Take Care,
BIG EARS

Offline salvanost

• Registered member
« Reply #33 on: Sunday June 23, 2013, 06:40:51 PM »
please beware the cause from beverages too
my phompolyx allergens come from beverages
i remove all beverages i recently add as my routine drinks, coffee, tea, milk, all of them
just to decrease the trigger

if you starting to get phompolyx, better focus recently beverages and check them if they are allergen of phompolyx

the easy way to check the allergens when there is phompolyx sign
it would make the itchy and bubble sign worst really fast in matter of hours - half day

if it become unbearable
try some Antihistamines specialized for night before sleeps

Offline PatrickH

• Registered member
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday July 23, 2013, 09:26:20 AM »
Hello all, I'm new here, suffering!

I've never had bad skin complaints so this is a new one on me. I'm a 46 yo male.

I guess the soles of my feet have been itchy on and off for a few months now but to be honest I never thought much about it, and who looks at the soles of their feet? Well I do now, practically every hour!

It got bad last week, intense itching and pain when walking and I was horrified when I looked. Since then I have had to sit with a bucket of cold water to dip my feet in when it gets too bad, sleeping became difficult and so I got an emergency doctor's appointment yesterday.

He was a bit off hand and said there is no point in a diagnosis, although he said it looks like Pompholyx, it certainly does to me. Anyway, got Betnovate and Epaderm so hoping for some relief in the next few days but I am finding it hard to believe that all the vesicles on my feet will actually go away, some of them are so deep where the skin is thick.

It's also appeared on my hands, but just patches of the 1mm things at the moment. Not itchy unless I scratch.

The deep fissures and cracking on my soles are the real problem at the moment, walking is painful and I seem to have entered a twilight world of existence where from the moment I wake up it is about pain and itch management.

I was definitely under some stress which probably didn't help but now all I do is stress about this. Everything else seems secondary.

Just another day in the life with this thing innit?

I went for a paddle in sea water at the weekend, which was soothing if nothing else, but getting there is a painful walk, catch 22!

When a bit more mobile I want to go to the shops and stock up with some of the other things suggested here. Especially footbath recommendations.

Offline PatrickH

• Registered member
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday July 24, 2013, 08:43:07 AM »
Just seems worse today, lots more bubbles appearing on my hands.

I have one quick question, my right foot has a constant dull ache, in the in-step, away from where all the problems are, I'm wondering if it's where I have been rubbing all the Epaderm in or if it is just where the pain has gone, or perhaps it has been my adjusted walking?

I am also slightly distressed that I have 2 painful lumps in my groin area, that could be because I have been getting up close and personal with my feet, yanking them up to moisturise and have a look all the time.

What a nightmare.

Offline salvanost

• Registered member
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday July 24, 2013, 11:58:26 AM »
from my experience
the pain should just from the crack/blister

1. try to find any different food or drink or medicine recently consume, you must get the trigger from those
tea, coffee, all product prepared and touching nickel metal tool
my suspect milk stored on nickel storage causing some milk product could be trigger
dunno why tea could be a trigger despite tea contain nickel naturaly
dunno about food i still cannot suspect any food exclude some canned food
i'm still not tested them too so i cannot sure 100% canned drink and food were trigger to pompholyx
not all food could become a trigger, for example not all tea, all coffee could trigger the pompholyx

2. buy baby shampoo and use them for bath and clean feet and hand

3. buy small dosage of celestamine or anything similar (google it) and drink it 1pil before sleep
this medicine use 1/8 only dosage just to relieve the itch and simptom, so i thought this one better for long use than use strong steroid medicine

4. buy lotion called doublebase gel, and use em after cleaning and drying the feet and hand

5. buy cotton glove and socks , maybe 5pair to prevent them from sweating too much and contact touch with some extra trigger

6. find any extra trigger, this one cause the simptom worsened, mine rubber and any dirty plastic surface (something that become slick when get touched by sweaty hand or feet)

7. suspect anything from 6 hour ago, if the itch got worsened, that mean you contact with some trigger, found the trigger exclude the scratching activity

8. DON'T SCRATCH OR DO ANYTHING including slapping, use heat water, rub it into towel / cloth, just to relieve the itch from the bubble, it would make the simptom worse

do your best to search for trigger, trigger is anything, cannot depend on medicine
« Last Edit: Wednesday July 24, 2013, 12:02:34 PM by salvanost »

Offline PatrickH

• Registered member
« Reply #37 on: Friday July 26, 2013, 10:14:27 AM »
The betnovate seems to be working, feet look much better but right foot still hurts constantly.

The only trigger I can put my finger on was spending up to 16 hours a day in the same socks and shoes, and then I was in someone's garden for a few days and was sneezing sometimes and also had a lump in my neck gland, some sort of allergy or in my view it was the heat and the flare up on my feet making the rest of me uncomfortable. Perhaps a little dehydrated too.

I cannot pinpoint any changes in food or drink, I don't have the best diet but I do vary it, never had any indications of allergies to food and drink I think mostly it has been environmental factors. I don't drink much tea or coffee, maybe a few cups a week.

Fortunately I have been able to rest a lot this week, which is helping the recovery, boring staying in during the nice weather but if that is what I need to do then so be it.

Offline PatrickH

• Registered member
« Reply #38 on: Sunday July 28, 2013, 08:53:43 AM »
Well, following doctor's orders it's the 2nd day of no steroid use and the itching is back with a vengeance, also I can feel bumpy/rough parts on my fingers where it had been getting better.

I suppose the one good thing is that the pain in my right foot seems to have been a deep seated infection which has drawn to the surface so I am slowly squeezing and drying that out, sorry, TMI, but this is how we deal with this annoying condition. The lump has gone, still sore but I can feel that it is now clear so it just has to do its healing.

Still sleeping OK now which is something, the fissures and cracks have healed up nicely after just a few days but feet generally still very sore to walk on.

In fact on closer inspection the area around my little toe is sore and swollen, I've just done some amateur foot surgery and uncovered another area of infection. I am wondering if that is what has exacerbated the situation, a generalised infection that got in through the foot and made the pompholyx worse.

I am not a doctor but I used to be a microbiologist.

Might see about getting a general antibiotic if things have not improved next week.

Ho hum.

Offline smokytopaz

• Registered member
« Reply #39 on: Monday July 29, 2013, 08:44:13 AM »
This is something that has helped me, and no, I have no idea what causes this skin condition, I just have to try stuff to make my hands and feet feel a bit more comfortable. The part that 'hurts' is when the thickened skin dries out and cracks and splits down to a deeper layer. Creams to moisturise are ok to an extent but I use a foot cream that reduces hard skin, it contains urea. It seems to soften the hard thick skin and make it a bit more flexible, and then it rolls off in the bath. But I am not getting so deep fissures. Who knows, it might help someone else! I use it twice a day, morning and pre-bed time.

Offline PatrickH

• Registered member
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday July 31, 2013, 02:14:31 PM »
Condition still very bad, 2 nights of little sleep again.

A lot of peeling going on, but fresh outbreaks, too tired to do much more than moisturise and apply steroid.

So tired.

Offline Big Ears

« Reply #41 on: Wednesday July 31, 2013, 03:35:33 PM »
Tell your doctor that for your sanity - you need a 5-10 mg., 2 week duration perscription of Prednisone.

This will at least give you a little relief while you gather the strength to battle the bubbles again.
Take Care,
BIG EARS

Offline justme0101

• Registered member
    • Living With Dyshidrosis/Pompholyx
« Reply #42 on: Sunday August 04, 2013, 03:01:59 AM »
Condition still very bad, 2 nights of little sleep again.

A lot of peeling going on, but fresh outbreaks, too tired to do much more than moisturise and apply steroid.

So tired.

Patrick! I'm going through the same thing. I have had this thing since May, and since then it's been a case of outbreaks, followed by dryness, followed by peeling, and followed by new outbreaks on the new skin.

The thing about dyshidrosis is that there seem to be no rules to it! Different things work for different people (if they work at all!), and everyone seems to have a different experience with it. That's what makes it so difficult.

Offline PatrickH

• Registered member
« Reply #43 on: Sunday August 04, 2013, 12:24:44 PM »
Hi,

Since May is a long time to have been battling this, although I suspect it was on my feet for a few weeks before I hit the really bad stage about 3 weeks ago. It's now 2 weeks of steroid cream (Betnovate) and Epaderm and it is better but still there. Apparently it can take a long time for the vesicles to disappear so I just have to persevere. Hands are better but feet have such itchiness, and despite lots of moisturising and bathing them the skin is dry.

As others have said there is a 'cycle', it has been really hot and humid here which has not helped, but things are improving. I think it's necessary to accept that it can take a long time to clear up. Good luck with finding an improvement, and when you do, stick with it.

And thanks for the advice Big Ears, I have read about yours (and others) success with Prednisone, next week is make or break, the steroid cream will run out in a day or two so I'm waiting to see what the condition is like then before seeing the doctor again and suggesting Prednisone.

Offline dgg

• Registered member
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday August 06, 2013, 03:52:17 AM »
Hello,

Just want to share my progress this year - suffered many years with pompholyx, requiring cortisone on it to help but not always deter the issue.  It's worst with the onset of summer.. and for last couple years, I usually have to run to a med clinic on vacation to help with a flareup to keep my sanity.  this year, I have noticed a huge improvement where I have not used any cortisone for last couple months or more.. and only very minor breakout to point of almost nothing..

- always looked to be wheat free but now very very strict on it & eat very health  (lots of veggies especially); I don't drink or smoke
-  determatolist recommended suntan lotion and avoid any creams etc - just sprays and wash hands immediately if anything gets on my hands - the brand I have used a lot over past 2 months is Aveeno hydrosport spray
- a natural ingredients bug repellent my wife whipped up from herbs, etc that works great
- ECOS 100% natural laundry detergent and NO fabic softeners

But what I believe is the turning point are these new strategies:

- Somewhere awhile back and I believe here on this forum someone mentioned they stopped using things (shampoo etc) that contained  sodium laureth sulfate. I went to the bathroom and looked at the 2 I had used daily for years.. both contained it.  I stopped and switched to a brand that had no sulfates (I picked up Giovanni tea tree triple treat shampoo brand) - perhaps others out there to choose and maybe better but this 1 has no sulfates..
- And no more sucralose as I read it can effect the kidneys which I believe is critical to not to do with any skin issues..  about 3 months back read a post on a fitness site I'm on and a guy in awesome shape that spoke to this..  went and checked my whey protein powder I was having 1x a day and sure enough it had it. So, I switched to 1 that doesn't have it (and not aspartame either).  And of course SO many things contain sucralose so I avoid them completely (especially pop).
* Also, over past 2-3 months, more water intake and picked up a fitbit and it's motivated to move a lot more in walking, hiking etc.. maybe more exercise helps? In past it was so frustrating going to gym etc due to hands breaking out but not so far these past months.

I know each person is different on levels of this skin issue and what works and doesn't work..  these new strategies have I believe really made a difference for me and perhaps others may want to consider these points (if not already done).

Cheers, Dave

Offline newguy101

• Registered member
« Reply #45 on: Sunday August 11, 2013, 09:45:24 AM »
Good day my friends with many little blisters on your hands that can itch and be painful. I am new but I wanted to share something I did that cleared my hands completely in two days.
Get two bowls of HOT water.
Pour a generous amount of apple cider vinegar in each bowl.
Get a needle or stick pin.
Stab and pull every blister just to puncture them.
Put hands in hot water mix for 20 minutes.
Dab dry hands with paper towel.
Gone.
Next day do the ones you missed.
I did this and they all went away, had to share and hope it helps some of you good people.

Offline PatrickH

• Registered member
« Reply #46 on: Monday August 19, 2013, 01:27:58 AM »
Hi,

Just wanted to report in that it has almost gone, my hands no longer look like I have had a long bath, that was very strange, I had a tough few days where my feet were still very bad and it looked like it was getting hold again but I just had to get through that. I haven't been using any steroid cream just Epaderm (a moisturiser). I didn't change anything in my diet the only thing is that it has been a few degrees cooler here, whether that is a factor I do not know.

So there is hope, having a bucket of water (hot or cold) for dipping hands and feet in helped a lot, as well as the moisturising but also letting the skin get a bit dry and flaky.

If you think about it, takes about 4 weeks for skin to replace then the 6 to 8 weeks I have been struggling with this makes sense.

Still a bit red and itchy but that should go away in the next few days, it's been a very hard slog and difficult to deal with but hopefully I can get on with life again, it was terrible not being able to move comfortably or sleep properly, so my sympathies for all those who have struggled with this.

And I am going to try and look after myself a bit more, I really don't want a repeat of this.

Take care.

Offline Anniet

• Registered member
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday September 11, 2013, 11:48:45 PM »
Hi everyone,
Another newbie here. I stumbled across this forum and this thread whislt googling for information on my possible triggers. I could have written so much of the above replys! Especially Mzktlc's post. I am 33 years of age, had never ever suffered with any allergies, skin conditions, anything at all until pregnant with my son. I developed a horrific case of PUPPS (puritic urticarial papules and plaques of pregnancy) and was a walking rash - from my knees to my neck. It was nasty. It progressed as per the usual cases and disappeared shortly after my son was born.

When he was five months old, I started to get issues with my fingers, the GP put it down to frequently washing my hands from having a newborn and it slowly went away with creams etc and being told to use rubber gloves for washing dishes etc. About a year or so later it came back and I was referred back to the dermatologist and was diagnosed with having pompholyx, three or four months went by with various steroid creams and a short dose of prednisone (which did nothing) and again it disappeared.

It reared it's ugly head again this year - funnily enough it has been about May each time. This year it hasn't responded as well as it did last year. I've been using celestone betamethasone cream and sorbolene cream, and I recently discovered that vaseline make a dry skin cream which absorbs into the skin so quickly (I hate having creams/stuff on my hands). Yes it is fragranced but it seemed to be doing the trick, so between the GP and I we just put it down to dry skin as I hadn't been paying too much attention to the appearance. My fingers were cracking and so painful (as you all know and understand!).

A few nights ago I put on some rubber gloves to do the dishes thinking that was the 'right' thing to do so as to not unnecessarily be washing my hands. I'd also been preparing food with latex food preparation gloves. That night, about 2am, I woke up with the most intense itching on my hands, thought it was a mosquito bite (or something) so took an antihistamine which helped me get back to sleep and stopped the itching and the next morning when I looked at my fingers they were red raw. It suddenly struck me that perhaps my trigger was rubber?! yay! I had not been able to pinpoint it to anything before as I hadn't changed washing detergents/powders/shampoos anything. So here I was all happy that I might have found my trigger.

As the skin was still dry and it affects my fingertips, the dry flaking skin just gets caught on things so I thought last night I'd slather my hands in vaseline (as this has worked before to 'cure' the dry skin). Well, this morning I woke up itchy and red raw too... There must be some ingredient in vaseline that is in rubber, now not being very good with chemistry, I have no idea! But again, the antihistamine (fexofenadine this time) has worked a treat.

I think I really need to get a referral back to my dermatologist and get an allergy/patch test done as I just can't seem to find the trigger. The pompholyx only affects my fingers, not the palm of my hands and has never (yet) spread to my feet. The strange thing is I can wear rubber 'croc' shoes with no issue so the possiblity of an allergy to rubber hadn't even crossed my mind.

The recurring thing for me that stands out is that it starts in or about May - which may not be a surprise to any of you as you all seem to come from the UK or US, but I'm in Australia - so the start of your summer is the start of my winter and therefore the climate theory doesn't work for me!

I'm still confused, but I'm so so glad to have stumbled across this forum. Thanks everyone, it really is so nice to know that I'm not alone. I've been meaning to get some vitamin supplements so I'll look at some of the ones mentioned in earlier posts. (Also being in Aus means I get plenty of vitamin D!).

Offline smokytopaz

• Registered member
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday October 01, 2013, 07:55:58 PM »
Having made a new discovery myself, I will ask a stupid question, what shampoo are you using?

Offline kaatrin

• Registered member
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday October 01, 2013, 10:58:36 PM »
Having made a new discovery myself, I will ask a stupid question, what shampoo are you using?

I am using Free & Clear shampoo and conditioner.  They are awful, but when I slipped up and used regular stuff I broke out instantly.  I tested positive for "fragrance mix" on my patch test.  Does anyone know of any better shampoo that is without fragrance?

I am having continuous flare on my fingertips since December 2012.  I was 7 months pregnant when it started and it really flared up after the baby is born.  It is concentrated mostly on my thumbs and index fingers - makes even typing painful.   I do not really respond to steroids - I got Vanos cream from the doctor but it does not seem to do much.  During the last 10 months I have been finding new blisters every day.  I do not use anything with fragrance, I wear white cotton gloves most of the time and I avoid water like poison.  My fingertips are still raw and cracked.  Will it ever go away?  I am so embarrassed at work, I used to have really nice hands and nails always nicely done before this.  And the pain is sometimes so bad.

I noticed that if I touch dirty (dusty) things I get red spots on my hands that go away quickly.  I wonder if it is related.

I tested positive on patch tests for cobalt, gold, fragrance mix and blue dye. 

Offline smokytopaz

• Registered member
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday October 02, 2013, 08:29:22 AM »
I don't think they include this in patch tests but there is a preservative which is nowadays commonly used in shampoo, conditioner, wash up liquid, liquid detergent and baby wipes as well as a fair amount more. They are called methyl chloroisothiazolinone and methyl isothiazolinone, Isothiazolinone and Kathon CG. It can trigger atopic dermatitus and if you continue to get it on your skin this becomes severe and very closely resembles pompholyx. Since I discovered this, and I do have a tendency to react to preservative anyway as well as nickel - I have tried to eliminate it and my hands now are healing, looking much better than almost any time in the last three years. Most dermatologists don't recognise it yet, but as it is becoming more and more common they soon will. So maybe its in your personal care products, it almost certainly is in baby wipes. My skin now appears to be healing so I am hoping that I have finally found my answer. I know everyone is different, but it might be worth considering.

Offline kaatrin

• Registered member
« Reply #51 on: Monday October 14, 2013, 11:29:47 PM »
Hi Smokytopaz, actually Methylisothiazolinone + Methylchloroisothiazolinone was included in the patch testing I had done - I had the North American Series 80 patch test manufactured by Dormer - on their website there are detailed descriptions of the series. 

I am glad that you found something that you are sensitive to.  I still have no idea.  Now I am off steroid cream for 2 weeks and have huge breakout.  I am starting phototherapy next week.

Offline salvanost

• Registered member
« Reply #52 on: Sunday October 20, 2013, 08:28:05 AM »
well that's explain why i got some itch feel while using some soap and wet tissue
but my main trigger still from home made coffe, milk and tea

Offline smokytopaz

• Registered member
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday October 30, 2013, 05:03:38 PM »
A month into avoiding methyl chloroisothiazolinone and methyl isothiazolinone, checking everything that may touch my skin and changing the product to something that does have these in...... and? My hands are 95% clear and joy of joys also my feet.   :D It has not been easy finding substitutes nor has it been cheap but I am about there. Anyone want several bottles of shampoo, conditioner, washing up liquid, laundry detergent or packets of make up remover and baby wipes??

Offline Aquababe241

• SkinCell God
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday December 17, 2013, 09:16:59 PM »
Hi folks! Sorry to be so silly, but what is pompholyx? Is it blisters on the hands and feet soles that are very itchy? If so, while I was in Turkey for 2 weeks this year, I got a few on my hands and soles of my feet. I did not know what they were....

Anyway, when I returned back to the UK, the blisters disappeared on their own.  However, the rest of me was a flaking mess! I had to stop the medication that I had been taking for 4 years for something else, stop eating out and stop using all creams, ointments and salves except simple one-ingredient things like coconut oil, shea butter or olive oil.

Jason Vales juicing books practically saved my skin and sanity...! I will be forever grateful to him.

Obviously, we are all on different spectrums of learning curves when it comes to our skin and what we are willing to do to get it clear.

Having spent my teens in Nigeria and seeing people with flawless skin all around me, plus my own eczema going into remission while I was there and 8 years after returning to this country...I realised that Nigerians mostly have beautiful skin because they eat a lot of meaty stews made up of things like oxtail, liver, tripe, cow foot, chicken feet, neck, chicken gizzards etc. Nigerians eat these soups either meat, or fish based at least 2ce a day.

Even in their 60s onwards, they have beautiful skin.  I realised that in my quest to eat raw I have cut out these types of stews and as a result I am ageing very fast, especially after last year's flare up of seb derm on my face.

So what is so special about these stews? It is all the minerals and gelatin which the bones and skin provide when cooked real slow for several hours. Gelatin s the building block for collagen, which keeps joints young and supple and skin firm, smooth and wrinkle free, even in old age.  Call them bone broths aka Weston Price Foundation.  Most cultures do bone broths, or stews or chicken soups from scratch...Pardon the pun...

Since I cannot get organic cow feet in UK, I am opting for organic pigs feet.  Study the Chinese. Pigs feet broth is renowned for keeping their skin young and beautiful. And most of them have it everyday.

When ethnic people switch over to the Western diet, that is when their skin goes strange. Also, most people who stray away from how people used to eat pre World War 2 gradually, get more and more wonderful diseases which we are still at a loss as to how to treat.

Ah we'll..hope this leaves a few clues as to the answers...

Love from Aqua
It's really nice to be free, free to be me
I'd rather be free and happy
Than nobody and sad

Offline crisbabau

• Registered member
« Reply #55 on: Friday February 07, 2014, 06:32:19 PM »
Hello everyone,

I had Pompholyx since September 2012. I did not see any doctors and did not take any medication all this time. Based on my diet, I realized what kind of food triggered my flares. When I look at some of the pictures I took 8 months ago, I feel disgusted. One nail in particular was extremely deformed (see attached photo). That nail is normal again.

I realized that I had flares one day after I would eat anything that contained oil (any kind of oil). I stopped eating deep fried foods, deep fried chips, sunflower seeds, cashew nuts, almonds. My hands look a lot better now. I don't have any blisters anymore unless I eat the foods mentioned above.

Hope this helps someone in pain.

Offline cfcath

• Registered member
Pompholyx Advice - PLEASE READ
« Reply #56 on: Friday February 21, 2014, 02:56:49 PM »
Hello everyone.

In the Summer last year I was diagnosed with Pompholyx. I had been suffering with the dreaded itchy bumps/bubbles and dry skin to the point where my hand looked like that of a burn victim, it was so bad it looked like I had done the washing up with hydrochloric acid. Touching objects felt like I was holding my hand over a flame, and I ultimately had to walk around with bandages on my hands. They were in an absolute state, to the point where it was ruining my life. I totally understand what all of you are going through, it was horrible and something I hope never happens to me again, or to anyone for that matter.

It got so bad before my wedding that I was considering getting married with bandages on my hands, but luckily I managed to get some help. These forums have been such a great help to me that I thought I should take the time to post this message in the hope it helps someone else. I went through months of trying different products (E45 - all types, manuka honey, bulldog, allergenics, eucerin, aveeno, steroid cream, fungla cream... plus dozens and dozens more). I wont bore you with what didn't work, just with what did:

So, initially (after no creams worked, steroid cream just made them worse to begin) to clear the main bumps that were covering 90% of my hand I was prescribed steroid pills (prednisolone 30mg per day for two weeks). I took these and the bumps went away instantly. If you have a massive flare up, I can guarantee these help. Then, to clear the burning feeling and the dry tender skin, I CANNOT recommend this enough. Go and buy it now:

- Cetreben

It comes in a massive pot and is wonderful. It clears up dry skin in days and has hardly any ingredients, you can also use it to wash your hands as it lathers. It is brilliant.

So, I had another flare up on holiday, so I took the steroids again and they cleared straight up away, but obviously I couldn't keep taking Steroids. After lots of research and getting tips from other sufferers I started taking the following vitamins:

Zinc
Vitamin D3
Sea Kelp
B6
Flaxseed oil

These are about 8 quid a month from Holland and Barrett on average, it is affordable. I do not know if these help, because since taking these I have had a few small flare-ups, but nothing like before (touch wood). I regularly use cetreben and never ever touch or come into contact with other commercial washes, Cetreben also do a shower gel, and I hear natural products are OK. But I suggest avoiding cleaning products.

Anyway, after months I still have had the odd flare up, but in general I am controlling it using only cetreben and taking those supplements. If I ever get itchy, I take:

Benadryl Allergy relief

I take one of these a day to make sure I do not start itching, you can take up to three. They are great and two doctors have said one a day does not harm you. I also smear on some:

Cider Vinegar to itchy areas

It seriously relieves itching and dries the bubbles up, The smell wears off after 5 minutes or so too. I also apply:

Steroid cream (Dermovate) to clusters of bubbles. A think blob for a few days, I do not rub it into my skin

So... After tons of visits to the dermatologist I was convinced I had an allergy to something, I knew I would always have Pompholyx, but I KNEW something was contributing to it flaring up. I know it gets worse when:

I am hot / sweating
I am stressed
I drink a lot of alcohol, particularly if I sweat the next day
Handle lots of dusty objects
Drink a lot of coffee

But I assume that, in general, these would probably contribute to most Eczemas anyway, I knew there was something else. So after pushing and pushing and pushing I FINALLY got put through for patch-testing. It turns out that I have a REALLY big allergy to this:

Methylchloroisothiazolinone / Methylisothiazolinone (aka Kathon CG)

My back, after the patch test was SO itchy, and the results were VERY similar bubbles to Pompholyx on my hands. It is defintiely related. Now I know exactly what it is that I am allergic too, and this preservative is found in SO MANY different things, particularly head and shoulders (which I was using daily when my hands were at their worst). Please, if you take anything away from these ramblings, push for a patch test. I am not saying it will cure your Pompholyx, but if you are allergic to something it WILL stop flare-ups. I cant stress this enough.

So, in a nutshell, this is what helped me:

USE:
Cetreben moisturiser
Cetreben Shower Gel
Dr Organics Shampoos
Steroid Cream (do not overuse. Apply thick blobs to any appearing bubbles nice and early, do not rub in and do not use for more than a few days)
Cider Vinegar (Apply onto bubbles when they appear, it really helps itching and dries them up)

AVOID:
Anything with Methylchloroisothiazolinone / Methylisothiazolinone (aka Kathon CG)
Cleaning products
Excessive sweating when possible
Excessive alcohol when possible
Commercial washing products

TAKE (I do not know if this does help, but it doesn't harm you either way and is good for your skin):
Vitamin D3
Zinc
Sea Kelp (Iodine)
B6
Flaxseed Oil

ALSO:
Benadryl Allergy Relief, one a day

I hope this helps anyone suffering, I know what you are going through. It made my life miserable and still has an impact on my life now, but hopefully with the above you can keep it at bay. Please feel free to send me a PM if you want to know anything in more detail.

Cheers,

Sean
« Last Edit: Saturday February 22, 2014, 07:59:33 AM by M@t »

Offline Maria94

• Registered member
Alternative medicin against pompholyx
« Reply #57 on: Sunday August 24, 2014, 09:22:32 PM »
Hi, everyone!
My name is Maria, I'm 20 years old and I'm from Norway.
I have been struggling with what I strongly believe to be pompholyx for about two years now. One morning I woke up with swollen lips and a terrible aggressive incredible itching rash mainly on the inside of my hands and under my feet. Well, the rash wasn't that sudden, but my lips swolling up certainly was. I went to the emergency room and they told me it was some kind of allergy and gave me a pill for that.
After that incident I had no rash for half a year, but then it bursted out again. Frustrated I went from doctor to doctor, and none of them could offer me any help except to exclude any serious illness.
At last I went to a skin specialist and I thought I finally was going to be saved from this itching hell that had not only ruined my night sleep for a while, but my psyche was harmed too. I may sound a little melodramatic here, but people like you with the same condition may understand my feelings.
He offered me antibiotics and cortisone tablets, which are strong medicaments. They solved my problem but they also gave me a lot of side effects. I was also given strong steroid cremes and allergy pills to curb the itching.
These strong medicaments helped there and then, but as the skin specialist also admitted they would not solve the cause of the problem, but only treat the symptoms coming from it. I continued to get my rashes and the winter/spring of 2014 I had a rash every month (for over six months), and each outbreak lasted for three or four weeks, and this was with the assistance of strong steroids. The rashes under my feet made walking painful but the rash on both my hands was the worst; it kept me up at night.

Then, and here comes my miracle: My mother in law took me to her acupuncturist. At first I must admit I was a little skeptical, but I was willing to try anything that could cure me. I only needed one session with this acupuncturist. He took one look at both my hands which were full of rash, and then he took my pulse through my wrist. After doing so, he stated very specific what my problem was: I had a damage on my nerve, and the nerve damage was located on the left side of my chest. He then asked me if I could remember on which hand my rash first had outbursted. I honestly couldn't remember, and I told him so. Then he said firmly: "It was on your left hand, because that's were your damage is located."
I just laid there and looked at him like he had just seen through me or something. I have had some pain in my chest and in my left arm, but I didn't tell him about that because I couldn't imagine how that would be relevant to a rash on my hands and feet. When I got home I tried to think back at the time of my first outbreak, and then I remebered it actually had started at my left arm. The acupuncturist put a nail in my chest and instructed my boyfriend to press the spot of my nerve damage every day. When he pressed at that very spot it hurt so much I cried out in pain. He had definetly spotted something.

It has been three months since that visit. My boyfriend has been doing his homework and I have not had a single outbreak. I know it still hasn't been such a long time yet, but for almost a year now I have had outbreaks every single month, and now it's all gone.

I really wanted to tell you this, because I visited this forum when my pompholyx was at its very worse, and I sat here crying reading your posts about your symptoms and your frustration. I am fully aware that I cannot promise any of you anything, but I still want to encourage you to try acupuncture.
If you guys are like me and have tried every doctor and medicament there is, and was just as depressed as I when I read online there was no cure for this condition, please give this a try!

Thank you, that was all I wanted to say. I sympathize with all of you and I sincerely hope you will all get rid of this one way or another.

Best wishes from Maria. :)

Offline madeleine20

• Registered member
« Reply #58 on: Monday October 13, 2014, 05:51:57 AM »
Hello, I just wanted to share what I have discovered about pompholyx. I have had it on and off since I was about 6 so I have been through just about every treatment in the book. I know how much it can weigh on your self confidence, not to mention the physical disability and un-comfort it presents. So this is what I have found:

1. As annoying as it is, there is a trigger, and it seems to be different for everyone, you just need to find yours. I would definitely start with diet, thats what I did. When I would get an episode, I would stop eating dairy, gluten and sugar. And by slowly introducing these one at a time back into my diet and seeing my skin's reaction, I worked out that most definitely for me, it is sugar.

2. Apple Cider Vinegar. Mix with water (around 40/60) and soak your skin for about 10 minutes. When I have a really bad episode, as well as cutting out sugar, I hit it hard with the vinegar and it does wonders.

3. Stress or change. I find I will get an episode if I have moved somewhere new, or gone on holidays, or I am particularly stressed.

So these three things means that I never get a complete episode of pompholyx. EVER. I am sure if I cut out sugar permanently I would no longer get it at all, but it's hard !! I like cake lol. But if I do see the beginnings of it, those small blisters (which usually come if I have eaten alot of sugar over the last few days). I cut out sugar straight away and it never takes hold, it is gone within a couple of days with no interruption to my life at all, the beginnings aren't even really visible so I don't have to worry about being self conscious.

I hope this helps someone, don't give up hope on finding your trigger !!
Maddy