Author Topic: Advice Please  (Read 3022 times)

Offline llukoma

• Registered member
Advice Please
« on: Tuesday May 03, 2011, 05:49:48 PM »
Hello I was diagnosed with HS a couple of years ago about 4 months after the birth of my 3 year old.  I am now 8 weeks out from the birth of my 3rd child and here I am again in much worse shape with huge lumps in my armpit.  Last time my primary care gave me antibiotics and sent me to a surgeon for a consultation.  He scared the living daylights out of me so I never went back.  Eventually, it cleared up and I haven't had a problem since.  My primary gave me antibiotics on Friday and said to go back to the surgeon.  I am still in a lot of pain and it is difficult caring for the kids especially with the newborn, where you often need to do things with the baby in one hand...all I have is one arm to work with!  I go back to work in 3 weeks and I pray that this doesn't last that long.

Should I be talking to a dermatologist about this problem since I'm not interested in surgery as the go to option?
Are there natural remedies that can help to clear up this outbreak in the short term or at least help alleviate the pain?

Offline gfpaperdoll

Re: Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday May 08, 2011, 05:53:10 PM »
Hello, congrats on the new baby.  You might try changing your diet.  A lot of us go into remission by omitting the "starchy" carbs.  Or you could be lucky and it is just one offending food.  The common ones for us are: grains, (including rice & corn), dairy, white potatoes,those are the major offenders.  Then you might have issues with nuts, caffeine, oranges, sugar, bananas.

You can check us out on facebook "HS and gluten free"
also here is our thread on HS and diet
 http://www.glutenfreeandbeyond.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3729

Do you have any other little health issues that you do not think are connected to your HS like, other skin conditions, acid reflux, IBS, indigestion, constipation, migraines...  etc.  ?
let me know if you have any other questions.  I will try to check in here more often...
jeanne

Offline llukoma

• Registered member
« Reply #2 on: Monday May 09, 2011, 03:07:36 AM »
Thank goodness I don't have any other major health issues.  A few days have past and I feel a lot better.  I read that symptoms are related to hormones and weight, both of which are crazy since the baby.  And since my last major issue was after I had my daughter, I'm guessing that may be related.  I don' plan on having any more children, so optimistically I guess I can say that I will not have anymore outbreaks.  I don't know.  I would like to have an intelligent conversation with someone who understands this condition. 

How do I go about finding a good doctor who can help me.  I live in New Jersey.

Thanks for your help.

Offline gfpaperdoll

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday May 10, 2011, 05:56:41 AM »
HS is a genetic autoimmune issue.  If you have one autoimmune issue you are more susceptible to get another one.  So it is my opinion that when you stress out your immune system that your body is overwhelmed and your HS flares up.  That is why so many people, in my opinion, think that it is related to their hormones, because whether it is pregnancy or your monthly period it puts a stress on your immune system. 

YOu can check us out on facebook.  There are some people on there that are not on the diet and in continual major flares, they talk about wound treatment, hormones, antibiotics and surgery.

I hope yours goes into remission again.  It never goes away.  I had one boil 17 years ago or longer and then no other problems until 8 years ago when I became allergic to chocolate.  Gave up chocolate and all issues cleared up.  I was already mostly wheat free and then the next year I went totally gluten free.  I did not have issues again until Dec 2009 when I became allergic to nuts, rice, and chocolate again.  It has taken me a year to get into total remission again.  I am 64 and other than my food allergies and gluten intolerance I am in excellent health.  I also work out at the gym. 
wishing you the best
jeanne