Author Topic: finally after 20 odd years of suffering i now know what it is  (Read 6274 times)

Offline bouncy332

• Registered member
finally after 20 odd years of suffering i now know what it is
« on: Tuesday March 15, 2011, 09:12:00 AM »
hey guys

i just joined this site after google threw it up at me when i looked up recurring abcesses and i will be eternally gratefull to know what it is at last

i've been to the docs with it on a few occasions once it required an operation which while successfull left me not wishing to return to docs when it returned as i had to have time off work and as i'm sure many will understand i cannot afford time off work so i have for the last 15 years suffered in silence

i am returning to the docs today though in the hope of finally getting a diagnosis after reading others experiences on here

the really freaky thing is today i have been reading the benefits of manuka honey and for the past few weeks i have got myself a second job which has been labelling manuka honey for a new zealand company how weird is that lol i have been handling what could be the answer to all my problems totally unwittingly lol

the first time i got an abcess i was 18 and it was on my labia i went to the docs but only got to see a nurse who missdiagnosed it as a genital wart and in my complete niavety i then proceded to tell everyone at work i had genital warts  :o i had no idea this was an STD no wonder when a good 5 years later i discovered what they were i was embarressed and wanted to die at the thought that they all thought i had an STD, when the treatment they gave me for the wart did not work i went back and saw the actual doctor this time and he decided it was not a wart after all but an abcess and gave me antibiotics for it which cleared it up but then over the next few years i strated getting them more and more often on my thighs but i did not go to the docs as they would just burst of their own accord eventually

then 15 years ago i had a perianal abcess this one was soooo bad i had no choice but to seek medical intervention this one required an op, i had many others after this and i only sought medical advice on the very odd occasion that the pain was so severe i could take no more but i never got any kind of diagnosis just some antibiotics and when i asked why these kept occuring i was just told its because i'm overweight

the really odd thing about that is i have now lost 5 stone in 6 months and they have been worse than ever they have now moved from my thighs to my bum on both my cheeks and the soft tissue near my anus and these have been my most painfull ever some days see me in tears not knowing if i will ever be painfree ever again this has promted me today, after one has arrived in the crease at the bottom of my cheek causing me to take a day off from manuka labeling  ::), to try and find out once and for all what causes it so thanks to your site and all the fabulous informative posts i can now head up to the docs fully armed with information and hopefully get to the bottom of this (pardon the pun  ;D)

right appointment is in 20 mins so i will be back shortly n let you know how i got on

cheers to you all for your contributions to this site you really have helped me  :hugs:

Offline bouncy332

• Registered member
Re: finally after 20 odd years of suffering i now know what it is
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday March 15, 2011, 10:20:45 AM »
right i'm just back from the docs and even after telling him my thoughts as to what the reason behind my continual abcesses he still tried to blame it on my weight

he claimed that as my skin is so stretched my sweat cannot escape normally thus causing the abcesses

i then pointed out i have been suffering from them since my teens when i was a mere size 8 so skin was not stretched at all he then conceded and said then i may be right after all

i'm actually thinking he may not even know what the condition is

i have been given a course of antibiotics and a topical cream to be going on with and if they don't sort it i'm to go back for a long term antibiotic but i am kinda tempted to say sod um n just try the manuka honey and see if that works as if i try them together with antibiotics i will never know which has worked if either do that is

right now i'm going to have a damn good browse through all your posts and see what other remedies i can find i'm quite excited that i might find something to help relieve it at last

cheers again guys  :bounce:

Offline gfpaperdoll

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday March 15, 2011, 05:10:01 PM »
Sounds like your doc does not know squat about your HS.  The antibiotics are not going to do much.  What they might do is get rid of any residual issues that you might have that will free up the stress on your immune system so that it will kick in gear & help your HS.

Diet change is really what you want to be looking at.  Being overweight is another common issue with gluten problems.  Skinny people do get HS, even later in life.

I am sorry that you have suffered with this so long.

There are a lot of people with HS that have gotten remission by diet changes.  Mostly we cannot eat grains & certainly not the gluten grains which are wheat, rye, barley & oats.  We also have major problems with rice.  Some people can have some corn some cannot.  Almost everyone cannot have diary.  Other food triggers are sugar, artificial sugar, white potatoes, chocolate, nuts, and seeds.  I am seeing an increase in the people that cannot tolerate oranges.  & some of us cannot tolerate bananas.  You totally do not want to eat plaintains they are way too starchy.  Most of us do not tolerate legumes (peas & beans) or only limited ones.  We do not have a problem with sweet potatoes.

Besides the notes above you want to eat all meats, seafood, veggies, fruits and eggs.  You want to make sure that you drink plenty of water.

Offline bouncy332

• Registered member
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday March 16, 2011, 12:44:09 PM »
ty gfpaperdoll

sounds like quite a huge diet change needed then eeek

lots of research needed as i have a gastric band and some foods just won't go down this is going to be interesting finding stuff i can eat now  :o

the abcess i currently have is the biggest i have ever had and the pain jeeze well i don't need to tell you all do i you live with it too just wish i could find an immediate cure but totally understand that is not the case this is a long term lifestyle change if i want rid of these damn things

Offline gfpaperdoll

« Reply #4 on: Friday March 18, 2011, 01:50:49 AM »
If you are strict about a diet change you should see some improvements in a couple of weeks.
It is tough at first but you can do it.  Sounds like you will have to cook some of your fruits.
Be sure to use a crockpot to cook your meat to where it will "fall apart". 

Since you have had a bypass are you taking vitamins?  and which ones?  Are you taking a sublingual B12 or B12 shots?  Did anyone test your vitamin and mineral levels before you got the bypass?

I have only had one boil 17 years ago & only a couple of flares one 7 years ago due to chocolate & one since last year from rice, chocolate (again), and nuts, and cheese...  I keep mine in control with diet.  I am the diet guru for HS & have tons of people in remission - no cure, you will always have it but if you break out or in pain look for the food that caused it.  Be sure you drink plenty of water - not toooooo much, but water throughout the day...  So, I am not the one to go to for the "remedies". But I read a lot on the forums.  Some people use a topical pain spray and some people will soak in epsom salts baths.  It seems that each person has a different topical treatment regimen - temp relief, but untimately it is diet that will "fix" you !! :)