Author Topic: NPF release re Scalp Psoriasis  (Read 4513 times)

Offline CalamityJane

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Whimsy
  • Dogs speak every language!
NPF release re Scalp Psoriasis
« on: Wednesday July 28, 2010, 02:38:34 AM »
Hi all, received this from the National Psoriasis Foundation (www.psoriasis.org) today:

National Psoriasis Foundation
Learn e-news: August 2010

Dealing with scalp psoriasis

At least half of people who have psoriasis will experience it on their scalp. Plaques on the scalp can be irritatingly itchy, embarrassingly flaky and difficult to treat.

Luckily there are many treatment options—and tricks to make treatment more effective.

Treatment options
Many treatments—including special shampoos and topical medications—specifically target scalp psoriasis. Ultraviolet light (UV) is sometimes used as well. Systemic medications such as methotrexate or biologic drugs work on the whole body and are not commonly used just for scalp psoriasis. They may be tried if psoriasis is present somewhere else on the body or if the psoriasis is moderate to severe.

Learn more about topical and other treatments for scalp psoriasis >>>

It may take some experimentation before you find a treatment that works for you. Visit the Foundation's online treatment guide and search for "scalp" for a list of products and treatments.

Special tips for scalp treatment

* Soften scales. Psoriasis scales must be softened and removed so medication can penetrate the plaques. Over-the-counter softeners, warm water and warm oils are all softening techniques.

* Remove plaques gently. Removing scales too vigorously can break the skin and lead to an infection, break hair off at the scalp, causing temporary hair loss, or lead to a Koebner response—a tendency for psoriasis to appear on damaged skin.

* Part your hair in half-inch sections to apply treatments directly onto the scalp. For more tips download the National Psoriasis Foundation scalp psoriasis booklet (PDF).

Scalp itch
Itching is often a problem for people with scalp psoriasis.

* Over-the-counter tar shampoos and shampoos containing menthol, topical steroids, and oral antihistamines can help reduce itching. Search the online treatment guide for products.

* Use a conditioner after every shampooing and limit use of hair dryers and other styling tools to keep the scalp from drying out.

* For relief, press a wet, cold towel against the itchy spot or run cold water over your scalp.

Hair loss
Hair loss sometimes occurs in people with scalp psoriasis. This is usually not because of the psoriasis, but because of the treatment.

Removing scales too forcefully, frequent scratching or harsh medication can be the culprits—and so can stress.

Read tips for avoiding hair loss and reducing stress.

More information

* For more information about scalp psoriasis and treatments, download this booklet (PDF) from the National Psoriasis Foundation.

* To learn how others deal with scalp psoriasis, search the
      It Works For Me database.

Jane

It's a good day when you laugh!

Offline Wooley

• Retired Moderator
Re: NPF release re Scalp Psoriasis
« Reply #1 on: Thursday July 29, 2010, 08:28:09 PM »
Thanks for sharing that, Jane.

Woo x

Offline CalamityJane

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Whimsy
  • Dogs speak every language!
« Reply #2 on: Friday July 30, 2010, 02:34:27 AM »
Hi Woo, thanks for your thanks!

It's a great organization, all I did was copy and paste hoping it would help somebody!

Nice you noticed!! ;D

Jane

It's a good day when you laugh!

Offline may

• Registered member
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday December 14, 2010, 02:03:50 AM »
Natural treatment cleared my scalp psoriasis that I had for years. I used serenaskin psoriasis remedies - ointment and spray on the scalp, and extract - internally. Ointment softened the plaques so it was easy to remove them, and it kept scalp moisturized all day long. In about a week the scalp was cleared. I'm no skeptic anymore. http://www.serenaskin.com