Author Topic: Eczema Remedy  (Read 2898 times)

Offline BritK

• Registered member
Eczema Remedy
« on: Monday June 07, 2010, 10:28:32 PM »
Wanted to with you a quick welcome! One of the more interesting things about having been a Skincell person for years is I've seen so many treatments - each person is different - and sometimes things that seem unlikely work wonders! Best of luck to you.

Thanks for the welcome! I'm seeing the homeopath on Friday- free on the NHS. I'm unemployed and couldn't afford to see one privately. Luckily, there is a clinic here on the NHS. I'm getting my unemployment money on Wed so will be buying the following (after doing some research and having read that people have had their eczema vanish with these):

organic nettle leaves ( to infuse and drink the water)
organic dandelion leaves- these can be infused like the nettles or eaten in a salad
apple cider vinegar capsules/tablets- I couldn't drink vinegar!

More sweet almond oil for the skin and more bee ointment

I have just made a very soothing ointment this evening. Here is the recipe:

Get a clean old jam or pickle jar and put some dried calendula flowers in it to half full.Fill the rest of the jar with extra virgin olive oil.  Put the lid on. Shake the jar so the flowers  well into the oil. leave the oil and flowers for about a week in a warm place- don't put in the fridge. Shake a few times a day. Then get a bottle/jar of coconut oil and put it in a pan of hot water- not on the stove- just leave the bottle or jar of coconut oil in the pan until it has completely gone liquid. Strain the flowers from the olive oil using a metal strainer.Strain them into a bowl. Then pour in about the equal amount of coconut oil into the olive oil. Stir well. Then add two drops of myrrh essential oil and lavender essential oil. Pour the oil into little glass jars. Put into the fridge to set. The coconut oil will bind into the olive oil. It will take about 20- 30 mins to set. The consistency will be like vaseline. If you live in a hot climate- over 70f then you will need to keep the ointment in the fridge as coconut oil becomes liquid at around 70f. It can still be used in liquid form, just if it is set then it is easier to use. The calendula and myrrh have anti inflammatory properties, the oils promote skin healing and soothe. Lavender is also soothing. If you wish your ointment to set quickly put it in the freezer for about 10- 15 minutes. I am finding it to be very soothing as the eczema on my hands has been burning all day and it is easing with this ointment. I'm a holistic practitioner and have a diploma in Indian Head Massage and have looked at the healing properties of oils- I am finding they are far better than the creams in chemists. Oils feed the skin with nutrients and aid healing.

Offline BritK

• Registered member
Re: Eczema Remedy
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday June 08, 2010, 03:34:30 PM »
Here is an update on my ointment. I found last night that the ointment needs to be kept in the fridge to stay set. This however is quite a good thing because the ointment is then cool and feels very soothing on the skin- great for when the eczema is hot and inflamed. I found this morning that the eczema is a little improved- the redness has faded a little and the skin softer.

To make this ointment to stay set one would have to add beeswax. To do this melt some beeswax- boil a pan of water , take a metal bowl and put in the beeswax and put the bowl over the simmering water and stir the beeswax  until melted then add to the other blended oils- pur into jars right away as beeswax sets quickly. The more beeswax you add the harder the ointment becomes. I would recommend about half the amount of beeswax to the other oils.

There are other plants one could infuse as well as or instead of Calendula- Chickweed leaves, St John's Wort and Chamomile- the idea is to infuse plants with anti inflammatory properties.

I would just like to tell you all that it is not a good idea to put the ointment on and then go out in the sun (if the eczema is on skin that would be exposed to the sun eg hands or legs and one is wearing shorts)- keep the eczema skin covered from the sun- this is to prevent sunburn. This is especially important if one used St John's Wort.
« Last Edit: Tuesday June 08, 2010, 03:48:50 PM by BritK »