Author Topic: Zinc gluconate is working for my HS  (Read 13013 times)

Offline d21

• Registered member
Zinc gluconate is working for my HS
« on: Tuesday March 23, 2010, 07:23:40 AM »
Hello all, new member here.  I self diagnosed HS recently, probably stage I.  After many years of the sores Ive finally found out what it is and have acted promptly.  Ill bypass all the emotional talk b/c you all probably know it already and few would accuse me of being an emotional person.  Anyway, zinc gluconate tablets are WORKING for my sores.  I had matching armpit bumps that wouldn't heal but both are almost gone and healing up with 100mg (2x50mg) tablets once a day for the last week and a half.  I've also been doing a mostly gluten-free diet (as recommended by another poster here) and for the first time I really feel like real progress is being made, not just a short "intermission" from my next bump.  If you haven't tried this combination, particularly the zinc, I highly recommend it.  The zinc was from my local Walgreens for something crazy cheap like $4/bottle.  There's a study floating around from Europe that also showed progress with zinc on HS.

Offline gfpaperdoll

Re: Zinc gluconate is working for my HS
« Reply #1 on: Saturday March 27, 2010, 05:56:44 AM »
Hi d21, How are you doing now?  Are you still taking the tumeric & zinc?  Are you still on the gluten free diet?

Did you have any other little health issues that have cleared up that you did not think was connected?

Hope you are doing better & would like to hear the details.

Thanks
jeanne

Offline d21

• Registered member
« Reply #2 on: Sunday March 28, 2010, 09:32:17 AM »
Im still good!  Since my first post Ive kept with the zinc and the mostly gluten-free diet.  My weakness is the occasional beer.  So both of my armpit bumps swelled up just a tiny bit (I think also in reaction to beer!) but have since gone down.  No exponential swelling and filling with puss or anything, just a little sensitivity then back to healing.  I'm excited!  Also switching to the mostly gluten-free diet hasn't been too tough.  I just eat a lot of meats and veggies now instead of more processed foods.

Btw, you were the poster I was referring to and thanks for your input on the gluten free diet.  I think it is helping. 

Offline gfpaperdoll

Gluten Free & Boil Free!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Sunday March 28, 2010, 05:42:17 PM »
Oh thank you so much for the acknowledgement.  I keep hoping that my posts are being read & that people will try the gluten free diet.  Like one person said last year, she had nothing to lose by trying the diet.

I am not sure where you live but there are several brands of GF beer.  They are available most everywhere in the U.S. now, bars, restaurants, groceries, & liquor stores.  I have heard that there is also some type of alcoholic cider that does not contain gluten - sorry I do not know what it is called. 

I will say that I am shocked how fast that a gluten free diet helps people with HS.  Most other autoimmune illnesses that are helped by the diet takes at least a month or two and sometimes a year or two.  Even with other skin conditions associated with gluten it takes at least a couple of months to six months or longer to clear up. 

All the hype that we get in the U.S. about how you need grains is just not true!  The high grain diet (wheat) is actually killing a lot of people & making a lot of doctors a lot of money.

I tend to eat a version of the Paleo diet, which is grain free, dairy free, legume free, no white potatoes, & sugar free. 
I do eat sugar at times, & I eat Pinto beans.  For breakfast this morning I had 1/2 lb of bacon, banana, sliced apple, 1/2 a pear sliced, baked with brown sugar & a handful of raisins.  Dinner will be pork ribs that I am cooking in the crock pot with that I will have some stir fried greens or a salad & maybe a baked sweet potato.

I have the occasional dairy cheat, but not often.  I can tolerate butter but really I have no need to use it.  I save all my bacon grease & cook with it if I need oil.  I use EVOO for my salads.  Did you give up dairy?  That is about 50-50 the people that cannot tolerate dairy.  I am always amazed at the number of people with HS that already know that they are "lactose intolerant".  Anyone that is "lactose intolerant" really should be dairy free.  Being lactose free is not being dairy free, it is the casein in dairy that does us in.  Anything with whey in it is dairy. And it is one of the signs of a gluten problem...

Well, Congratulations to you on your new health!!!! 

I encourage you to find out about gluten intolerance/celiac and how it is not just a digestive issue.  You can also be gluten intolerant and very ill and not have celiac.

Let me know if you need anything.
jeanne

Offline d21

• Registered member
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday March 31, 2010, 05:46:35 AM »
No, no dairy-free or anything else.  

I think I've confirmed a negative relationship between my HS flare-ups and beer.  Things were improving as I posted before, until a couple of recent visits with friends and moderate to light beer consumption.  One of my armpit bumps has flared back up again.  On a good note, it's still not as bad as prior flareups (thanks to the zinc I think) but I can't ignore the almost immediate reaction today to a 22oz Yuengling Lager.  Within hours I was in pain with a swollen armpit bump!  I guess Ill have to look into gluten-free beer (not a fan of the $15/6pack price tag at local stores though) or drop beer altogether for some other form of social booze.  But either way, the standard wheat and barley derived beers are out of my diet from now on.
« Last Edit: Wednesday March 31, 2010, 05:52:54 AM by d21 »

Offline gfpaperdoll

Wheat, Barley & Yeast
« Reply #5 on: Saturday April 03, 2010, 03:25:48 AM »
It could be the combination of wheat, barley & yeast that you cannot handle.  Personally I think barley is lethal.  I have been severely allergic to barley all my life.  Do you get a metallic taste on your tongue after the beer?  That is one of the things that barley does to me.

Glad you found out one of (& I hope only one) trigger for your breakouts!!! :)

Another perspective could be the money you save on bandages, doctor visits and medicines might be worth a carton of gluten free beer!
Wishing you the best
jeanne