Author Topic: Under My Nails  (Read 2757 times)

Offline paperclip

• Registered member
Under My Nails
« on: Wednesday October 07, 2009, 12:42:52 PM »
Hello to all new to the board,

Just stumbled across this forum and had to join, its great to see people in the same boat all sharing valuable information.

I was looking for some info or to see if anyone had a similar problem with the skin under their nails cracking very easily. I like to keep my nails short for obvious reasons. But when ever I cut them they skin always splits across. see attached picture.

I also wanted to know if anyone uses 1%Icthamol in Zinc ointment, the thick yellow paste and what there experiences where. I have been prescribed this over the last couple of years to use along with dermovate. Although it does work if I persistenyl use it for a couple weeks, its chore putting on the cotton gloves at night and even more so scraping it off in the morning, by which time my hands are swollen roasting hot and very itchy.

I have never been diagnosed with pomp eczema but I think i might have it as I get the small clusters of blisters that I can never resist bursting which break out and flare up
see attached pic. I have a lot scarring on my fingertips as you can see

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
  • Administrative Bleeper!
  • Token Nutcase :D
Re: Under My Nails
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday October 07, 2009, 02:59:15 PM »
Oooh, that looks awful! I got sympathy itchies just looking at your pictures.

Looks like it may well be pompholyx to me. Not that I'm a derm or anything. But the blisters, cracking skin and the fact that heat makes it itch and swell (if I read that right) are all symptoms.

That and in two cases on this forum alone, doctors seem pretty dumb when it comes to diagnosing this "common ailment."

Don't know anything about the stuff you're on, but perhaps someone else will. Any kind of lotion or goop is my trigger, so I have to avoid all that like the plague.

Best of luck, and welcome!
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline paperclip

• Registered member
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday October 07, 2009, 08:37:30 PM »
Thanks for replying. When you say Any kind of lotion or goop is my trigger, so I have to avoid all that like the plague.

Does that mean you cant use anything to moisturise when your skin is very dry?

Offline andyb

• Global Moderator
  • of Wackiness
  • I've been Simpsonized!
    • Welcome to my Concorde website
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday October 07, 2009, 10:35:59 PM »
Those could have been my hands in the second photo just recently! - although I have been in contact with lots of chemicals I don't regularly come into contact with. We're in the middle of decorating our extension which includes using such things as expanding foam, plaster, coving adhesive, paintbrush cleaner, white spirit, etc etc.

Even with the greatest care in the world it's easy to come into contact with 'trigger' chemicals. Examples, some types of liquid soap will cause my fingers to crack, fuel spillages when filling the car or bus up (petrol and diesel - even wearing those disposable gloves you find at filling statons), washing up liquid, laundry detergent, clearing weeds in the garden, anything with lanolin in it, even some preparations that are designed for 'sensitive skin' can cause me a problem.

I can't comment on the zinc preparation you mention but I did go through a phase of wearing polythene gloves a few years ago with the betnovate I was using at the time - with some good results. Nowadays I just grin and bear it knowing that the symptoms if they arise are usually gone in a couple of days... although I realise not everyone will have that exerience.  :(

Welcome to Skincell btw! :hi:

andyb
I'm playing The SkinCell Daily Quiz - are you??

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
  • Administrative Bleeper!
  • Token Nutcase :D
« Reply #4 on: Thursday October 08, 2009, 08:07:25 AM »
Thanks for replying. When you say Any kind of lotion or goop is my trigger, so I have to avoid all that like the plague.

Does that mean you cant use anything to moisturise when your skin is very dry?

Not really. I can (and do) use oils a lot, especially after a shower or something when they're feeling soft. I also found an expensive "oooooh this is all natural" spray at a health food store that works. The best, oddly enough, is vinegar. I'm sure my old standby, apple cider vinegar, works too, but I usually just rub a drop or two of white vinegar into my skin. The effect is instant.

I think I'm a little strage with this trigger, though. Most people have triggers like metal (honestly, that's another one of mine, but it's easier to avoid nickel than lotion) or cleaning chemicals.
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!