Author Topic: IMPORTANT, Clarification of message from NPF on Influenza  (Read 4232 times)

Offline CalamityJane

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Whimsy
  • Dogs speak every language!
IMPORTANT, Clarification of message from NPF on Influenza
« on: Friday October 09, 2009, 02:50:36 AM »
Just received this update. Changes in RED.

NATIONAL PSORIASIS FOUNDATION

Clarification regarding Psoriasis and flu season

NATIONAL PSORIASIS FOUNDATION

Clarification regarding Psoriasis and flu season

People with psoriasis who are taking medications that suppress the immune system should only take inactivated vaccines for both seasonal and H1N1 (swine flu) influenzas.

Attenuated vaccines can be live and therefore should not be taken by people who take immunosuppressants, including biologic (Amevive, Enbrel, Humira, Remicade, Simponi or Stelara) or non-biologic (cyclosporine-Neoral or methotrexate) drugs. A National Psoriasis Foundation e-mail sent Wednesday, Oct. 7, "Psoriasis and swine flu, what you need to know," gave the wrong information about the kinds of vaccine that people who take immunosuppressants should use. The Foundation regrets the error.

Jane

PS I don't take any of these prescriptions, but I will still ask my doctor if it is a dead vaccine.
It's a good day when you laugh!

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
  • The best medicine is caring and affection.
    • Eureka Ideas Unlimited, Anthropositor's Posts,   To Obama
Re: IMPORTANT, Clarification of message from NPF on Influenza
« Reply #1 on: Monday October 26, 2009, 02:11:15 AM »
Well, dear Jane, I'm glad I looked.  This topic certainly is appropriately here and not in the General Health section.  As far as I know, the conventional vaccines in the U.S. are dead, and only the nasal virus, which is not injected, but sprayed into the nostril is a live though attenuated (weakened) form.  I expect this is probably the same in other countries as well, but it certainly doesn't hurt to check with your care provider before proceeding just to be sure.  Now I will go and look at the other sticky thread.  And soon, perhaps I will add some simplifications to the sticky H1N1 thread in General Health.  Probably not tonight though, since I am in a WiFi cafe which closes in forty five minutes.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." Chinese Proverb.

"What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn examine first before you decide"-- Confucius

Pray to the Gods, for the Gods are not unless you pray to them.--Don Marquis