Author Topic: Pompholyx & Athlete's Foot  (Read 15222 times)

Offline Qs

• Registered member
Pompholyx & Athlete's Foot
« on: Tuesday September 29, 2009, 07:44:19 AM »
Hi all.

After a lot of reading around on pompholyx I have decided to post to see if I can get some advice.

Background - 22 year old male, who very rarely gets ill. I had Pityriasis Rosea last year which cleared up on it's own after a week or so, but other than that I have had no other previous skin conditions.

I noticed that I had what appeared to be athlete's foot mid-last week. Since then I started getting small blister like bumps under the skin on both of my palms. I was prescribed some Daktacort hydrocortisone cream for the athlete's foot by the senior sister at my local surgery. A couple of days later I noticed that the bumps on my hands were getting worse, so I went in again to see the duty doctor. She advised that I continue to use the Daktacort on both my hands and my foot and come back in a few days if I wasn't seeing any results.

Cut to four days later and my hands are a right mess. I have large blisters all over both hands and up the sides of my fingers - everywhere else (back of hands, arms etc) is totally clear! The blisters appear to have clear fluid inside them, are itchy and painful to touch.

Obviously distressed, I went back to the doctor's who diagnosed it as Pompholyx :( I was only the second case the doctor had ever seen. I have now been prescribed some Dermovate, which is apparently a very strong steroid cream. Does anyone have any experience of using this? And if so, how effective did you find it?

My main question is this - Has anyone had Pompholyx due to athlete's foot? And if so, once the Athlete's foot is healed up, will my hands return to normal? I do hope so. :(

Thanks in advance :) It's good to see that I'm not alone.

Qs

Offline M@t

• Administrator
  • Admin Geezer
  • The World's Happiest Uncle
    • Matt's English Adventures Blog
Re: Pompholyx & Athlete's Foot
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday September 29, 2009, 11:26:38 AM »
Hi Qs!!

I had a very similar problem to yours, and was prescribed steroid creams. They were no help whatsoever, and eventually ended up making it worse.

It seems in both our cases that the pompholyx eczema was triggered by the athlete's foot. If this is true in your case, the only way to get rid of the eczema is to remove the trigger; the athlete's foot.

After over a year of unsuccessful steroid creams, I found a private doctor who prescribed some anti-fungal tablets called Terbinafine. I think the dosage was two 250mg tablets per day for 2 weeks. 2 weeks after the end of the course of treatment, both the athletes foot and the eczema had cleared up.

If I was you, I'd go back to your doctor, and talk to him about the athlete's foot and the Terbinafine, and try and get a prescription written for the tablets. If the athlete's foot is the cause, you'll be fixed in no time :)

Matt.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
The Doppler Effect - Why bad ideas seem good when they are coming towards you at high speed. Don't rush things!!!

Offline Qs

• Registered member
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday September 29, 2009, 11:38:39 AM »
Fantastic. Thanks for the swift response, it is greatly appreciated! I'll see if I can get some pictures posted of my palms later today as that may help.

I'm not currently sure if the dermovate is helping or not at the moment, it sure does intensify the burning and 'prickling' sensation thats for sure! :(

Matt, did you have Pompholyx on your palms, the same as me, and if so then how bad was it? (are there any pictures on the forums?)

I did have some lamisil spray in the very first instance (prior to receiving the daktacort) but it got used up quite quickly. I believe the spray and pills both contain terbinafine hydrochloride, so I'll see how much the pills are over the counter, if available, else I'll go back to the doctors.

Thanks again Matt, I will post any updates here.

Qs
« Last Edit: Tuesday September 29, 2009, 11:43:44 AM by Qs »

Offline M@t

• Administrator
  • Admin Geezer
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday September 29, 2009, 11:05:36 PM »
In my case, most of my problems were on my foot. I did occasionally break out with a few blisters on the sides of my fingers, but it was never anything like as bad as my foot.

There are some photos of my foot in my personal album in the Skincell Gallery. Hopefully yours will never get as bad as that...

I seem to recall that Lamisil does contain terbinafine, but I think the dosage is much lower than the tablets.

Once it all healed up, I did find that there was the occasional tingling in my feet. In this case, I'd get some neat pre-chilled apple cider vinegar on a bit of folded kitchen towel and dab it on to the itchy area.

Don't do this if you have open sores, as it may hurt more than the itching, but it certainly kills the tingling sensation.

The Doppler Effect - Why bad ideas seem good when they are coming towards you at high speed. Don't rush things!!!

Offline Qs

• Registered member
« Reply #4 on: Thursday October 01, 2009, 11:45:32 AM »
An update for you all.

I went to the doctor who wouldn't prescribe me with the terbinafine pills until I'd waited for a couple of weeks and tried the dermovate. Apparantly pompholyx usuallly disappears withing 2-3 weeks on it's own (has anyone heard of this happening?).

The dermovate is having an effect though... I'm applying it twice a day and all of the blisters have now turned a orange/brown colour and have become flat against my skin, looking very similar to liver spots. Admittedly my hands are very dry, but they are easier to use now and are less painful.

I've also stopped using the daktacort that my doctor prescribed and went and bought some Lamisil Once. I did some reading around for this product prior to purchasing it, as it is quite expensive, and couldn't find a bad word about it.

Applied the Lamisil last night after a bath and now can't wash my feet for 24 hours.... joy :p

Will update this thread with any further updates.

Thanks again to Matt for the continued advice. :)

Qs

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: Thursday October 01, 2009, 03:28:28 PM »
Hi Qs, welcome to the forum!  I've been following, but haven't posted, and I wanted to jump in here.  Keep going with the topical, but if you are not getting relief, I would either push for that script or get another opinion.  No need to suffer if there is the potential of beating it back with tablets.  As for the 2-3 weeks of pompholyx, your doctor can tell that to my hands.... I've had it almost continually for the past 3 years.

Offline M@t

• Administrator
  • Admin Geezer
« Reply #6 on: Thursday October 01, 2009, 04:19:48 PM »
In my case, the pompholyx did clear up on its own, but only after the trigger (the Athlete's Foot) had been removed. Once this was accomlished with the Terbinafine tablets, the pompholyx disappeared.

Unfortunately, the NHS dermatologists and my GP were thinking along the same lines as your doctor, and kept pressing for the steroid creams, which (at least in my case...) did little or nothing for the pompholyx, but fueled the Athlete's Foot.

It was a vicious circle.

Of course, once I started "feeding" the Athlete's foot with the steroids, it became much harder to get rid of, so the standard over the counter medication didn't work any more.

Matt

Offline Qs

• Registered member
« Reply #7 on: Monday October 05, 2009, 08:33:07 AM »
Thanks for the welcome! :) The topical is actually working quite well strangely. All of the small bubble like blisters under my skin have disappeared, and those much larger blisters have now dried up and are flaking off - with new clear skin underneath :)

I'm still using the dermovate twice daily for my hands. I'm feeling a bit like a snake at the moment though, but it looks promising.

As for my Athlete's foot, I have stopped using the Daktacort cream. As per my previous post Ive pinned my hopes on the Lamsil once, and it looks to be doing the same thing as for my hands - skin has dried up and is flaking off, revealing new clear skin underneath.

Am going to give it another couple of days and then go back to my doctor for a quick check up.

*touch wood* I'm beating it back.

Qs

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
  • Administrative Bleeper!
  • Token Nutcase :D
« Reply #8 on: Thursday October 08, 2009, 08:09:54 AM »
Hi! :hi: Welcome to Skincell, and I'm glad you're beating it back!!

(As soon as I saw the title, I thought "Matty would be the one to talk to about this.")
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline Qs

• Registered member
« Reply #9 on: Monday October 12, 2009, 08:39:36 AM »
Another update!

After using the dermovate frequently my hands dried up something awful. I went to the doctors again and she prescribed me with a weaker topical steroid cream for my hands and some crazy moisturising cream called Aveeno.

I've stopped using the steroids now as I feel they're doing more harm than good (as my hands don't actually have any blisters on them now *touch wood*), and am only using the Aveeno twice a day.

Still using the daktacort on my foot as I know Athlete's Foot is notoriously annoying to fully get rid of. Will give it another week or so with this and then see where I go from there. Also, if anyone has A.F in the future I highly recommend Lamisil Once.

Thanks to all those on the forum for their advice thus far. :)

Qs

Offline tom_s

• Registered member
« Reply #10 on: Friday September 23, 2016, 02:16:38 PM »
All,
After reading this thread, I decided to try and attack my pompholyx by destroying the Athletes foot.
I had Pompholyx on my left hand and right foot.
I used Daktarin Activ on both feet twice a day and within 10 days the blisters had cleared up. I now have completely clear skin on my feet. No bumps, and it is slowly recovering and building up skin layers again.

My hands are a different story. I have gone through a treatment of Lamisil Once followed by twice daily soaks in apple cider Vinegar followed by Daktarin Activ spray.
I was initially really please and though I had cracked it...
However - 15 days in and I have now reached a stale mate. The blisters have without doubt reduced significantly. However - they are still appearing occasionally, and my skin doesn't seem to be repairing back to normal.

Any thoughts? Is there something I am missing from the treatment?
How long did it take your hands to cure post treating the athletes foot?