Author Topic: Post Viral Arthritis?  (Read 25898 times)

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
Post Viral Arthritis?
« on: Saturday February 07, 2009, 11:00:34 PM »
Some of you may know that I had a bit of a scary illness back at the end of November/beginning of December.  Luckily, that seems to be behind me, but in its wake I've had some puzzling symptoms...

About a week after leaving hospital, I came down with pain in both of my feet and ankles.  It made walking quite uncomfortable, and at its worse, it was making sleeping difficult as well.  About two weeks after that, the pain also came to my hands and wrists...

Over all, it's been waning, though I have good days and not so good days.  My family doc tested me for Rheumatoid Arthritis, and luckily, that came back negative, so she refered me to a rheumatologist.  The rheumatologist has given me a bit of a shock, and suggested that quite a lot of my symptoms (including the ones that hospitalized me) are suspiciously like Lupus...  and I tested positive for the "Lupus antibody" (though that proves nothing)...
He had a special genetic test done to see whether I do have Lupus, but the test takes a month to be completed!!

At the same time, my sister (who is also a doctor), suspects that this joint pain could be the result of post viral arthritis.  After researching both conditions, her theory seems to me to "fit" better... and if it is that, the arthritis usually lasts about 8-10 weeks and then disappears....

Have any of you heard or experienced this post viral arthritis? 
How long did it last?  Any lupus experience??

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
  • The best medicine is caring and affection.
    • Eureka Ideas Unlimited, Anthropositor's Posts,   To Obama
Re: Post Viral Arthritis?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday February 08, 2009, 06:04:56 AM »
Hi Itchy,
First a little crossthreading because I keep losing the curser these days.  Bama, thanks for the Firefox trick.  It works but the left eye is still going south even faster now.  I may have a few days more of seeing well enough to say bye for a month or so, if my negotiations with the hospital do not break down.  Have to go to a place where they do ultrasound measurements on the eyes since the lenses have gotten so opaque.  If I don't write for a while, don't sweat it.  I'll be back.

Itchy, I know nothing about viral arthritis or Lupus.  But I have some sort of arthritic stuff going on with hands and wrists and hips and knees and ankles.  No deformities though.  I have been goofing around with the condition for three or four months, but I'm using some pretty potentially tricky stuff.  It has been working until recently.  They are making me get a pretty complete physical because I haven't gone to a GP since the eighties.  Among all the tests will be some comprehensive blood work, so I have had to knock off my experimentation for a few weeks so that I won't tilt the tests and have to do it all over.  As soon as I made the appointment (day after tommorrow) I stopped with the chemical I was using.  But dear, it wouldn't be suitable for you with the complexity of your condition.

Anyway, it's sort of interesting though.  It took a few weeks for the pain to come back, so I am hobbling around a bit.  But right after the physical I will go home and get the joints back on track.  It was working very nicely before I stopped for the exam.  But unfortunately, I have no idea what form of arthritis I am working on.  I'm sort of an empirical guy.  All I know is, it was working pretty well, and took quite a while to reverse when I stopped.

Sort of anxious to start again after the physical.  I expect it will take only a few days to get back on track.  I hope whatever they decide for you works as quickly as that.  I'll be rooting for you.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." Chinese Proverb.

"What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn examine first before you decide"-- Confucius

Pray to the Gods, for the Gods are not unless you pray to them.--Don Marquis

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
  • Administrative Bleeper!
  • Token Nutcase :D
« Reply #2 on: Sunday February 08, 2009, 11:15:39 AM »
I've never heard of Post Viral Arthritis, but I hope that's what you've got. Lupus scares the living daylights out of me. :hugs:

Anthro, no problem. Glad I could help. :)

I think I shall worry myself sick about both of y'all now. ::) I'll try not to but jeez, lupus and blindness... *shudder* Just keep me updated, OK? :hugs:
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: Sunday February 08, 2009, 01:19:36 PM »
thanks guys.  I will certainly keep you updated.
I had never heard of post viral arthritis either, until my sister mentioned it, and apparently, the virus that causes Fifth's Disease (also called "Slapped Cheek" disease) is one of the most common triggers.  My eldest son had Slapped Cheek virus two weeks before I became ill back in November, so the symptoms fit really nicely, except for one pesky number from my blood work back in November.

Anyways, I hope you don't have to wait too much longer for your surgery, anthro... I too will be thinking of you.

:hugs:

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday March 10, 2009, 02:04:28 AM »
Well, it's been a month since I posted this, and I still haven't heard the results from that blood test for lupus, so I'm going on the assumption that no news is good news. 

The really good news is that the pain is pretty much gone now.  Just the tiniest bit of stiffness sometimes, but I can tell that's on the wane too.

What is still troubling is that my red blood cell count is still really low... it's not a good thing, but it does explain my low energy levels and lack of motivation to do anything beyond the daily necessities of taking care of the family.   :-\

Offline totalfolly

• Retired Moderator
  • Crazy Cat Hero
  • I yam what I yam
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday March 10, 2009, 03:53:01 PM »
Well, it's been a month since I posted this, and I still haven't heard the results from that blood test for lupus, so I'm going on the assumption that no news is good news.

I'm sure that's the case, but I'd be inclined to give them a call to make sure.  I always call just on the off chance somebody forgot!

Glad you're feeling a bit better.  :hugs:

totalfolly
"If you hear a voice within you say 'You cannot paint'
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced."
 -- Vincent vanGogh

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday March 10, 2009, 08:33:31 PM »
You're right, TF... willful avoidance isn't exactly an effective, proactive approach, is it? :)

Offline CalamityJane

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Whimsy
  • Dogs speak every language!
« Reply #7 on: Monday March 16, 2009, 01:28:02 AM »
willful avoidance isn't exactly an effective, proactive approach, is it?

No, it isn't, but sometimes it works out quite well -- insofar as things do go away, and don't push for other tests before their time, so to speak. Experience talking here!

With me though fright is always a factor and I tend to investigate too soon resulting in "over investigation" as my doc once put it. I'm learning.........

Jane
It's a good day when you laugh!

Offline vickywatts

• Registered member
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday September 14, 2010, 10:33:38 AM »
When someone has developed viral arthritis, he is actually suffering from an irritation and inflammation of the joints due to an infection, like mumps or rubella. But it may come from other viruses that have ultimately moved into one or more of a person's joints. While this type of arthritis is essentially considered a symptom of the condition that caused the flare-up, it has its own set of symptoms.

Offline Kool28

• Registered member
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday January 20, 2015, 05:24:40 AM »
Hi Itchy,

Any updates on this ?

I have also been told by my GP that i have post viral arthritis going on .

It has been months and i feel my joints have become weaker.

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
  • The best medicine is caring and affection.
    • Eureka Ideas Unlimited, Anthropositor's Posts,   To Obama
« Reply #10 on: Saturday June 27, 2015, 06:03:22 AM »
Odd.  It's been six years since my blind period.  I remember the arthritis, but not the extent of it or precisely what combination of things I did to get a handle on it.  Now, as I remember it, it mostly got me in the wrists.  My post above from that time was a little more cryptic than is characteristic of me.  Now I can only hazard a guess that a sulfoxide   was one component of what I was doing and there are some dangers to using such a solvent improperly and I was not explicit on the chance that someone might hurt themselves.  First, do no harm.  Whatever the details of what I did, both the arthritis and the blindness are but a distant memory.  My new interest is longevity and mitochondria, but that would be cross threading...
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." Chinese Proverb.

"What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn examine first before you decide"-- Confucius

Pray to the Gods, for the Gods are not unless you pray to them.--Don Marquis