Author Topic: Matt's Big Move  (Read 42640 times)

Offline andyb

• Global Moderator
  • of Wackiness
  • I've been Simpsonized!
    • Welcome to my Concorde website
Re: Matt's Big Move
« Reply #100 on: Friday May 29, 2009, 10:07:58 PM »
Do you get an option of an extension (if you wanted to) Matt?
I'm playing The SkinCell Daily Quiz - are you??

Offline M@t

• Administrator
  • Admin Geezer
  • The World's Happiest Uncle
    • Matt's English Adventures Blog
« Reply #101 on: Friday May 29, 2009, 11:16:44 PM »
Extension is available by mutual consent.

However....

Much as I like it here, I wouldn't want to stay for any significant extra time. Maybe an extra month, but no more than that.

Of course, that view is subject to change.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
The Doppler Effect - Why bad ideas seem good when they are coming towards you at high speed. Don't rush things!!!

Offline andyb

• Global Moderator
  • of Wackiness
  • I've been Simpsonized!
« Reply #102 on: Sunday May 31, 2009, 05:42:36 PM »
...you never know until it happens, or not, Matt (wise words from my Nan)

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
  • Administrative Bleeper!
  • Token Nutcase :D
« Reply #103 on: Thursday June 04, 2009, 06:05:58 PM »
Dan and I are begging for an extension... I didn't realize how much I really hate to drive until I didn't have to anymore!
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline M@t

• Administrator
  • Admin Geezer
« Reply #104 on: Tuesday June 16, 2009, 01:27:35 AM »
Something new I've just noticed.....

The longest day is shorter. Much shorter. See, I just went and stood on my patio, and I thought "Hmm... it's a bit dark".

So I checked on t'internet.

Longest day for London, UK. Sunrise at 04:43 and sunset at 21:22 for a total length of 16:38
Longest day for Columbia, SC, Sunrise at 06:13 and sunset at 20:39 for a total length of 14:25

I understand why it's happening. It just seems weird.

The Doppler Effect - Why bad ideas seem good when they are coming towards you at high speed. Don't rush things!!!

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #105 on: Tuesday June 16, 2009, 01:52:03 AM »
It is weird, isn't it?  I remember having that feeling in Mexico last summer... the days were so long here, and it got dark so much earlier there....

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: Tuesday June 16, 2009, 07:39:10 AM »
Gah, the long days are driving me crazy over here. The sun starts to rise at 4:30! :faint: And sets after 9:30. Wow. Eh, I expect the long nights'll drive me equally wakko. :)
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline M@t

• Administrator
  • Admin Geezer
« Reply #107 on: Thursday June 25, 2009, 02:02:07 AM »
Something new for this week - Fireflies

I've never seen one before, but on Sunday, I stepped outside to look up at a low flying aircraft (I think it muist have been flying into Charlotte Airport) and a few flashed right in front of my face.

I stood outside for a while, and they were everywhere. Flashing away all to themselves.

I tried to get a photo, but no luck. :(

Offline totalfolly

• Retired Moderator
  • Crazy Cat Hero
  • I yam what I yam
« Reply #108 on: Thursday June 25, 2009, 02:21:14 AM »
I love fireflies, also called lightning bugs.  :)  To me, they're among the first signs of summer.  We used to catch them when I was a kid.

Coco tickled me when she saw them this year.  I'm sure they're not new to her as she's nearly five years old, but one of them lit up right in front of her and she followed it around till she'd finished examining it.  :)

totalfolly
"If you hear a voice within you say 'You cannot paint'
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced."
 -- Vincent vanGogh

Offline CalamityJane

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Whimsy
  • Dogs speak every language!
« Reply #109 on: Thursday June 25, 2009, 02:28:44 AM »
Are those the same as dragon flies? Look like a helicoptor sort of w/beautiful irredescent colours? We get a few of those, beautiful.

Jane
It's a good day when you laugh!

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: Thursday June 25, 2009, 07:56:55 AM »
No, dragonflies are different. Fireflies have... um, lights in their butts. Seriously. They come out at night and look like... I guess... tiny little green-yellow stars. They have them in Germany, but oddly enough, the German ones don't blink.

The American ones turn their lights on and off. It's actually a pattern used for attracting mates... I've heard that if you sit quietly and use a flashlight to follow the pattern, you can entice them to come and see you.

In the country, if you can get enough of them, they make summer pines look like blinking Christmas trees.

They have no fear of humans, and between that and their slow airspeed they are easy to catch. My phobia stopped me, but as a child my sister caught countless lightning bugs and kept them overnight in baby food jars with holes punched in the lids.

*edit*

I found a youtube video of them... it'll help explain why Matty had such a hard time taking a picture. Honestly, I would think a lit lighting bug would be one of the most difficult things in the world to photograph... except for those strange German ones that keep their lights on. (I saw them!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuPh_U6pi1E
« Last Edit: Thursday June 25, 2009, 08:01:20 AM by Bamawing »

Offline CalamityJane

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Whimsy
« Reply #111 on: Thursday June 25, 2009, 04:20:39 PM »
Hi Bama, thank you for the explanation! I looked at the video.....they sound like lovely little bugs.

We don't have them here.......I'm sure I would have seen them if they were around.

Thanks Bama,

Jane

Offline CazAngel

• SkinCell God
  • An Enigma
    • My Facebook page.
« Reply #112 on: Friday June 26, 2009, 06:20:33 PM »
Oh, I love lightening bugs. I haven't seen one in quite a while. Very pretty bugs. I love your description, Bama. Bugs with lights in their butts!  :roll:
With care,
Caz (Carolyn)
xx :hugs:

"Nonviolence is not a garment to be put on and off at will.
Its seat is in the heart, and it must be an inseparable part of our being." - Gandhi

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination." - Einstein

Offline M@t

• Administrator
  • Admin Geezer
« Reply #113 on: Friday July 03, 2009, 12:28:49 AM »
Gah, the long days are driving me crazy over here. The sun starts to rise at 4:30! :faint: And sets after 9:30. Wow. Eh, I expect the long nights'll drive me equally wakko. :)

I will say one thing with certainty.

In the winter it really does get depressing. You're up and out the door before the sun is up, and it's pretty much gone down again by the time you're back home after work.

Anyway, we're past the 4 month mark now, it's 4th July weekend, although it feels a bit weird celebrating independence from Britain. Lot's of fireworks and lots of hot dogs. Just like Guy Fawkes night, only nice and warm.

And to top off the week, I had a good session at bowling and bowled my best round ever!!

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
« Reply #114 on: Friday July 03, 2009, 07:11:08 AM »

Anyway, we're past the 4 month mark now, it's 4th July weekend, although it feels a bit weird celebrating independence from Britain.

*giggle* I always did wonder how that would affect an Englishman. I've been bracing myself for some serious homesickness this coming-up weekend. I know where I can get hot dogs, but where can I get fireworks in Germany? ???

Congrats on the bowling! ;)

Offline M@t

• Administrator
  • Admin Geezer
« Reply #115 on: Friday June 18, 2010, 10:18:03 PM »
Well y'alls....

The time has come to head back to English soil.

I'll be back in the home land by the end of the month, and I'll be back at work soon after.

It's been nice in the States. :)

Offline CalamityJane

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Whimsy
« Reply #116 on: Saturday June 19, 2010, 02:09:36 AM »
Hi Matt - glad you had a nice time in the States. It's an opportunity most folk don't get and something you'll always remember.

Looking back on your previous posts here, this one caught my attention:

I will say one thing with certainty.

In the winter it really does get depressing. You're up and out the door before the sun is up, and it's pretty much gone down again by the time you're back home after work.

Anyway, we're past the 4 month mark now, it's 4th July weekend, although it feels a bit weird celebrating independence from Britain.

What is the difference between the UK and the N.American time changes? I can't remember, but we have the looooong days in summer - sun up much too early and not completely dark till after 10:00 pm. In the winter, we get up in the dark, and it's getting dark _at_ 4:00 pm. However, I recall that in UK when I lived there. But I remember clearly that by Jan.13, _at_ 5:00 it was still light enough to walk home from work.

Jane
PS I think I mucked up the quotes, sorry.

Offline M@t

• Administrator
  • Admin Geezer
« Reply #117 on: Saturday June 19, 2010, 12:19:38 PM »
Well for Charlotte, longest day is 14h 31m 16s, and shortest is 9h 47m 38s

For Sheffield, longest is 17h 00m 50s, shortest is 7h 29m 24s.

It's to do with lattitude. Taken to extremes, if you're at the poles, then you have 6 months of night and 6 months of day, and at the equator, you have 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of night.

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: Sunday June 20, 2010, 04:13:12 PM »
It freaked poor Twiga out bigtime in our recent trip to England. We were waaaaaaaaaay up north... Andy says we could have hopped the border to Scotland, although we were having so much fun in the little town of Durham that we didn't. She was staring out the window and saying "It's 10:00... and I can still see." and later "It's 11:00... and I can still see!"

Offline andyb

• Global Moderator
  • of Wackiness
  • I've been Simpsonized!
« Reply #119 on: Tuesday June 22, 2010, 09:45:46 AM »
During June and July the sun rises through our bedroom window at 4 something in the morning - the rest of the year the window is in the shadow of the house next door - but the room takes on a whole different appearance - not that I really appreciate it at that time of the morning...  zzz