Author Topic: 9+ Years Of Seborrheic Dermatitis On Face  (Read 9570 times)

Offline Aj11

• Registered member
9+ Years Of Seborrheic Dermatitis On Face
« on: Monday December 08, 2008, 01:21:42 AM »
Hello I'm an 18 year male that has had seb derm on my face and scalp for the best 9+ years. It started behind the ears and then spread to the face. When it first occurred on the face  my skin which is normally brown began to discolor into looking white. A kid at my school even asked me if i had what Michael jackson had. That was about 5 years ago and now the whiteness has somewhat gone away and is now less noticeable. I have been to many dermatologist's in the past and have been prescirped lots of steroid, protopic, and other creams which i used for a while but now don't use because of the skins addictiveness to it and other side effects (skin thinning).Also they didn't really help me that much. I gave up on trying for the past 2 years i have only used a cleanser on my face and moisturizer twice a day and juz lived with the peeling of the skin. Every morning i wud juz take a washcloth and wipe all the dead skin off my face and repeat that everyday. I don't know what to do and I'm seeing a derm in a couple days and I'm looking for advice. I don't know if this could possibly be related to Candida I really have no clue. I was planning on asking for loprox or ketoconazole cream when I go to the Derm.

Treatments Tried
Protopic, Ellidel (allergic reaction), Hc cream 0.5% to 2%, UAV Light Treatment, Shampoo on face (tried H&S but didn't really work out) and probably others that I have forgotten.

SUMMARY OF CONDITION

Face
•   Affects ear folds, inner ear, forehead, eyebrows, in-between eyebrows, entire nose, cheeks, mustache area, parts of beard, chin, and parts of neck
•   Areas affected are scaly (yellowish), red, discolored, and eyebrow hairs are shedding.
•   Over the past 9+ years I have had this condition on the face it has never been itchy but ~ 2 months ago it has had periods of itchiness
•   Forehead has scaly bumps
•   Occasionally when exercising or physical activity face gets periods of burning prickling sensation(1-3 seconds)
•   When beard grows long scaling gets worse in the beard area
•   Under close light scales around chin and lower cheeks are more visible

Eyes
•   Diagnosed with Blepharatis by general doctor ~ November 4
•   Eyelids were matting together when waking
•   Currently eyelids have dandruff
•   Eyes sore as day goes on

Scalp
•   Scalp dandruff comfortably maintained
•   Most effective shampoo used in the past has been Stieprox (antifungal) but currently using Head and Shoulders (Pyrithione Zinc)
•   Noticing abnormal amount of hair loss on scalp for ~ 1 month even though seb derm is controlled on scalp

Offline Wiggly

• Registered member
Re: 9+ Years Of Seborrheic Dermatitis On Face
« Reply #1 on: Monday December 08, 2008, 06:51:26 PM »
Has your doc ever given you antibiotic tablets?

Have you been tested for any food intolerances or allergies?

Offline Aj11

• Registered member
« Reply #2 on: Monday December 08, 2008, 07:12:03 PM »
I have never been given any antibiotic tablets, but from my understanding they cannot kill the problem effectivly enough and symptoms will return once your off them plus side effects. Check out this link with a video on using antibiotic tablets like nizoral.

http://www.health-truth.com/2.php

I had an allergy test done many many years ago. Im going to ask for one next time I see the doctor.
do allergy tests include food intolerances?

Offline Wiggly

• Registered member
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday December 09, 2008, 03:40:37 PM »
I'm not sure if the normal allergy tests include food intolerances - mine didn't. It was testing for IgE antibodies. Do you have hayfever or asthma?

Has your doctor ever recommended any dietary changes? My friend has been diagnosed with a candida problem and has been put on an anti-candida diet - I'm not sure how helpful it's been for her though.

I suffered from chronic eczema that only became seb-like when it got infected. The doctors used to give me normal antibiotics such as erythromycin and my skin would clear up fantastically. I was never given anti fungals like nizoral. My main problem was my continuous scratching which was breaking the skin and causing multiple infections - once I got that under control I was fine. Most people don't even realise i have eczema now.

Yours sounds somewhat different though - although it is familiar to me as that is what my skin was like during its accutely bad periods. Maybe it would be worth the doctor trying you on normal antibiotics? Are you scratching it badly?

Offline Aj11

• Registered member
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday December 10, 2008, 05:53:29 AM »
My doctor does not believe that diet will change any problems but most doctors don't believe in internal medicine anyway. I went to the derm today and he recommended maby i could go on nizoral antibiotic tablets but its dangerous, short term, and I have to take alot of tests while I'm on it to ensure my health is fine.

Over the past 9 years my skin was hardly ever itchy but lately it has begun to itch but not that badly. Itching is not a big concern for me because it is usually not itchy

Offline Wiggly

• Registered member
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday December 10, 2008, 08:30:59 AM »
Most doctors don't seem to hold much belief in dietary changes and I can understand because it's very rare for there to be a complete improvement. With most people anyway it's multiple factors.

That's good that your skin is not itchy and that you're not sctraching it - too many eczema/other skin sufferers cause horiffic damage to their skin this way (I should know as I was one).

It may still be worth you trying some form of dietary change, if you're happy to?

Offline Aquababe241

• SkinCell God
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday December 16, 2008, 05:08:22 PM »
Hello there, you seem to have it really rough with your skin!! I had something similar on my face this year, so I started drinking carrot/parsley juice made with my juicer. 

I also did a colon cleanse with Colonix for 2 months last year and 3 months at the beginning of this year.

My diet normally consists of lots of meat/chicken/fish and salad on the same plate.  It's very filling and the protein heals the skin while the salad tones your complexion.

The flaking has reduced a lot and is only on the sides of my face and on my chin.  I haven't been juicing for several months now, but I do drink something called kefir which is made using goat's milk.  Get more info on the internet if you can. Kefir is very good for skin - full of Vitamin B, amino acids and protein.

Cut out sugar and anything with sugar in it, including fruit and you should see a big difference.

Bread is full of yeast and so is wheat.  I know your doctor said dietary changes don't make a difference, but that's what saved my skin as I had exfoliative eczema from head to toe and there were heaps of skin scales everywhere to the point I had to renovate my flat to make it look nice again.

Have as much veg juice as possible - yes you may have to fork out a few hundred dollars to get a decent one, but the long term benefits will be noticeable in your skin, trust me...

All the lotions and potions the doctors prescribed never worked but the diet change and colon cleansing did - BIG TIME - you'll also feel really refreshed and perky....so what have you got to lose?

Hope this helps -

Aquababe
It's really nice to be free, free to be me
I'd rather be free and happy
Than nobody and sad