Author Topic: scalp psoriasis  (Read 7495 times)

Offline may

• Registered member
scalp psoriasis
« on: Sunday October 26, 2008, 09:53:32 PM »
Hello. I'm suffering from scalp psoriasis for 5 years now.  Has been on medication on and off.  Nothing seems to work, to give longterm relief.  Could anybody share his/her story about scalp psoriasis and what was helpful in treatig it.  Thank you.

Offline Nick

• SkinCell Friend
  • SkinCell buddy
    • SkinCell
Re: scalp psoriasis
« Reply #1 on: Sunday March 15, 2009, 04:22:11 PM »
Hi May and welcome to SkinCell :hi:

Sorry to hear about your scalp P. Both me and my daughter (10) get scalp P, she gets it much worse than I do.
She recently was prescribed a coal tar Pomade which works brilliantly for her. Her P can go from head after two applications. 
We normally apply it very thickly and let it soak in for a few hours and then wash the Pomade out with normal Polytar shampoo. The results are nothing short of amazing. She can go from red raw to healthy scalp in a matter of days. The only problem is that we do not know what goes in it and we can only get it prescribed from the Bristol Childrens Hospital dermatology department. We can't even get it through our local family practice.

Offline juliep

• SkinCell Grand
  • Foster Mum
  • PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF SKINCELL
« Reply #2 on: Monday March 16, 2009, 03:05:15 PM »
hi May - and Nick

there are 2 types of pomade. I think the one you may be using consists of 10% coal tar, 2% salysilic acid in an emulsifying base. They use it at Clatterbridge on the wirral - some staff call it scalp. Nick is right it is fantastic. You can leave it in for up to a week for really stubborn p (easy if you are an inpatient). Its suitable for adults too. You can get this from your gp in its generic name (10% coal tar, 2% salysilic acid in an emulsifying base) but pharmacies don't stock it as it is made up to order and it can take 3 weeks to get a supply

The other one also contains dithranol but you only apply that to the lesions and you have to wash it out after about 4 hours but can stay in longer if you tolerate it. That one you can only get from hospital.

hope this helps

julie
its only me - Juliep

Offline Nick

• SkinCell Friend
  • SkinCell buddy
    • SkinCell
« Reply #3 on: Thursday March 19, 2009, 06:36:43 PM »
Trust Julie to have her thumb on the pulse and her ear to the ground with the good info :praise:

Thanks for the really good info Ju

Offline cazbell0

• Registered member
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday March 24, 2009, 08:06:29 PM »
Hi, i only just joined this forum after finding out i have HS, however i also have psoriasis and yesterday was prescribed diprosalic scalp application as my scalp psoriasis was awful and very scaly, i applied it last night and when i washed my hair this morning the scales had mostly gone even thr redness had gone to pink, it has to be used every night the doc said but if this is anything to go by i am highly rec it, i hopeu can get some x
chill out u no stress only makes it worse xxx

Offline dulce

• Registered member
« Reply #5 on: Friday April 10, 2009, 11:18:20 PM »
Hi May,
I haven't been on this forum for awhile but I used Luxiq w/ P&S liquid and shampoo for my scalp when my psoriasis was mild. It helped a lot. Since I don't have insurance, my psoriasis became severe and spreading on my ears. I tried the tar shampoos and what not and none helped. As soon as I get back the insurance, I will have to see what will work. Try to stay positive.

Offline may

• Registered member
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday December 14, 2010, 01:47:28 AM »
It has been a while since i posted my Q. I found remedies that work greatly for me. SerenaSkin psoriasis remedies. Ointment and spray on the scalp, and psoriasis extract taking internally cleared my scalp in a few days! http://www.serenaskin.com