Author Topic: What's in your medicine cabinet?  (Read 6213 times)

Offline Avital

• I Care About Someone With Hidradenitis Suppurativa: The Bracelet Project
What's in your medicine cabinet?
« on: Sunday September 28, 2008, 07:29:46 PM »
I'll apologize in advance if there was already a thread like this. I did search.
I was thinking maybe we could pool together any various meds we've tried, maybe see what's been useful, what hasn't, etc.
It couldn't hurt, right?

Let's see.
Mupirocin/Bactroban - Old standards. Kill infections.
Cicloderm/Ciclopirox and Aflumycin - Doctor gave me today. We'll wait and see.
Gentatrim/Gentamicin - Supposedly very strong ointment for bacterial skin infections. Didn't do the job.
Tevacutan/Clotrimazole - To tell the truth, I can't even remember when I used it, just that I did. Evidently, the relief wasn't very strong.
I was also given a very expensive perscription cream from my plastic surgeon, which my mom decided was expensive enough to keep locked up until I had to use it. Now she's lost it. Way to go. Can't remember the name.
Of course, the various aloes, oatmeals, fenestils and cooling creams. And pain killers. Lots of 'em.

I must say that I'm just a little bit in shock that I've managed to collect such an assortment of meds over the past two years. And that's without all the first aid bandage-ness, hormone pills and homeopathic remedies.  ::)
Hidradenitis Suppurativa Expialidocious :)

"I don't like surgery. I don't like elective surgery, I don't like surgery that you have to have."
- Sandra Bernhard

Rude and not ginger.

Offline aenigma20

Re: What's in your medicine cabinet?
« Reply #1 on: Friday October 10, 2008, 03:18:11 AM »
  • Keflex 250mg - Noticed no more effectiveness than if I had not taken them
  • Keflex 500mg - Same as above
  • Penicillin - Same as above – also was extremely itchy while taking it.
  • Bactrim DS - No marked effectiveness, had to stop after three days as it was making my throat extremely tight, it was difficult to eat/breath. Also had nausea and diarrhea.
  • Ciprofloxacin - No marked effectiveness
  • Clindamycin 300mg - No marked effectiveness, had to stop after three days as it was causing nausea, diarrhea, and vomiting.
  • Minocycline 100mg - Took for two months, and was switched to Doxycycline. More nausea saw no benefit.
  • Doxycycline 100mg -Even more nausea, saw no benefit. Switched to Tetracycline.
  • Tetracycline - Also taken for two months with no marked benefit. Discontinued because of lack of effectiveness of Tetracycline medications and nausea.
  • Cleocin T Gel - Use around skin when it is broken around the lump. Have seen no difference with or without it, but it is continued in hopes of preventing any secondary infection with an open wound.
  • Benzoyl Peroxide Wash - Washed with it for a few weeks, but it irritated my skin too much, and again was seeing no benefit.
  • Triamcinolone .1% - No bad side effects, but didn’t notice any difference whether it was used or not.
  • Hydrocortisone 2.5% - Same as above
  • Yasmin (Yaz) - This has been helpful. J Since the lumps tend to be aggravated around menses, the ob/gyn approved me taking Yaz constantly until spotting occurred, and then I was to let myself menstruate. This was effective in the beginning but now I can only take it about a month and a half before I start spotting.
  • Seasonique - This has been helpful too for the same reason that the Yasmin was. However with Seasonique I only have a period once every 3 months.
  • I&D - It was painful of course, the healing time was greatly extended from the normal I was experiencing at the time
  • Benzocaine 20% - Helps greatly with pain in smaller lumps

Various pain medications help, but only to deal with the pain.  I've taken more than the above, what's above is what I had in pill bottles around my house when I wrote it two or so years ago.
I GoodSearch for Hidradenitis Suppurativa. 
Charity HS - USA

http://www.goodsearch.com/?charityid=822136

Raise money for Hidradenitis just by searching the Internet with GoodSearch, powered by Yahoo.

Offline Zimuel

• Registered member
Re: What's in your medicine cabinet?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday September 28, 2010, 01:40:09 AM »
My medicine cabinet usually contains first aid and pain relief medicine. First aid includes bandages, plasters, thermometer, antiseptic, and medical tape. Lastly, the pain relief like aspirin, paracetamol and ibuprofen.
My furniture Services