I was out in the back of our place, moving something around in one of the silos when I suddenly got attacked by three wasps. Right when it happened I felt the awful, burning sting and the alarmingly intense pain immediately.
I looked to see the three nasty little buggers fly off.
They quietly and efficiently attacked my upper right arm, on the outside and inside of my bicep. I counted three sting marks. I dropped what I was doing and ran towards the house.
I felt that ice would be soothing, so I got some ice cubes from the freezer and put them on the three red sting marks around my upper arm. I am so glad that I am not hyper allergic to their sting. I have read that a person can go into anaphyalactic shock
and die within
Main Entry: anaphylactic shock
An often severe and sometimes fatal systemic reaction in a susceptible individual upon exposure to a specific antigen (as wasp venom or penicillin) after previous sensitization that is characterized especially by respiratory symptoms, fainting, itching, and urticaria.
Wasp stings are alkali but the venom has so many active ingredients that it is very unlikely that it is the alkali alone that is the single active ingredient that causes the pain.
I had a strange reaction. I could only see three red pin pricks, at first, but the pain was intense, compared to what a person could see.
My husband immediately put a baking soda paste on the stings and
I think it might have helped a bit.
The area under the stings, inside my upper arm, above my elbow got red and felt hot. A day later that red area felt itchy, but it felt painful to scratch it, so I rubbed it with a washcloth.
Today, four days later, I have a strange little rash where the area was red. It seems to be receeding, but even rubbing it feels slightly painful. The sites where I was stung each have a tiny lump under them.
As I am typing this I notice a wasp is somehow in my house, and is flying right by the window next to me. It flew into the fan and that seemed to have stopped it.
Another wasp has come to it's aid, how they got into the house is a mystery to me. I grabbed the flyswatter and tried to kill the second one, as the first one is dead in the fan.
I hit the wasp with the fly swatter and it didn't die. Fly swatters just don't pack enough punch. I ran out of the room. I saw it on the wall and hit it again,and this time it fell to the carpet it was still wiggling.
I hit it three times with the fly swatter and it is now dead.
I do not see any more wasps but they must be getting in from the back of the house, since we did a lot of remodeling there in the past week and have kept some of the doors open to the outside.
Here are a few facts about the wasp:
Another feature unique to the wasp and hornet is that the venom contains a pheromone which alarms all other wasps in the area and invites them to join the attack on the victim. Whilst one can see the evolutionary and defensive benefits of such an alarm system, it is particularly worrying for the victim. Whilst bees therefore do fly in swarms and have the reputation for attacking in swarms, do not let the comparitively solitary journey of the wasp deceive since not only can one wasp sting more than once, but it calls all wasps nearby to come and help.
I think I will be alright, and looking at the odd raised rash, I think I might put some calamine lotion on it.
Wasps are very sly. At least bees make a buzzing sound when them come after you. Mosquitos can be felt before they bite you. But wasps
are the sharks of the insect world, they come straight for you silently and sting you right when they hit the skin.
I have to check around the house now and see if I can locate anymore.
The two wasps are now dead. One died in the fan, ( thank goodness)
and the other one I swatted to death.
Tonight I will have to have my husband spray the silos with wasp killer
again, since I have become a bit paranoid lately about getting stung
Wasps - I can not live in harmony with them.