Author Topic: PLEASE HELP! with Dyshidrotic Eczema  (Read 8066 times)

Offline homsan

• Registered member
PLEASE HELP! with Dyshidrotic Eczema
« on: Monday June 09, 2008, 10:06:32 AM »
Hi!
I'm new to this forum and glad to have found it. I'm suffering from Dyshidrotic Eczema/Pompholyx.
I've diagnosed myself with this from looking at pictures and descriptions online and comparing them.

At the moment my fingers are more or less covered in yellowish crust (from the liquid). Before I
scratched away some layers of skin, so the skin layers are uneven and don't appear to be healing much.
some days it looks like it's getting ever so slightly better with old crusts peeling off. but then i rub
too hard and develop an itch and more liquid comes out. I can't really see any blisters at this stage, but i seem to be leaking anyway.

EDIT TO ADD: yeah, i still have the blisters. rubbing the crusts off reveal lots and lots of tiny "holes". :(

I would really appreciate any help on treatments of this particular stage, because i've been like this
for about two weeks and have barely left the house or done much of anything during this time. It's never
gone this far before. I'm currently using Propyless lotion for dry skin several times a day. Could
someone take a look at the ingredients and see if it looks ok?

http://www.apoteket.se/apoteket/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=3172&ProductSKU=204675&prodinfotype=&showBuy=true&action=showProdInfo

Sorry it's in swedish, but most of it is medical names anyway. The last one is "purified water". It should
not be applied to burned skin and contains cetylalcohol which can give local skinreaction like contact eczema (great).

I just want it to end, so i can go on with my life.

« Last Edit: Monday January 12, 2009, 11:05:16 AM by homsan »

Offline littlelady

Re: PLEASE HELP! with Dyshidrotic Eczema
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday June 10, 2008, 01:34:48 AM »
Hello homsan
I'm sorry your hands are in that shape. I can tell you this that their is nothing that I know of over the counter that you can buy that is going to help with your condition. You need to go to a dermatologist. Mine is a different type of Dyshidrotic it is dermatitis not eczema so what works for me probably will not work for you and I don't want to tell you to try something and it could make it worse. I'm sure there is someone on here that has the exact type of Dyshidrotic eczema that you have and can at least help you a little before you can get to a dermatologist. Good luck I hope you find something that works for you.       
« Last Edit: Tuesday June 10, 2008, 01:53:59 AM by littlelady »

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
  • Administrative Bleeper!
  • Token Nutcase :D
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday June 10, 2008, 10:18:49 PM »
Holy flaming catdogs, love, that looks awful!

I'm a self-diagnosed pompholyx person too, and when I discovered Skincell I had it pretty bad. I remember constant oozing, and not being able to type... What my problem was, no kidding, was that lotion is a trigger for me. It's not exactly an allergy... I saw an allergist and he gave me super-duper-mega-non-allergenic lotion. It made things worse. But like you, I was slathering on lotion several times a day...

I'm not a doctor, but your case sounds eerily familiar. Perhaps laying off the lotion for a bit would help...

The thing I've found that helps me is apple cider vinegar. Pour yourself a bowl of the stuff and dunk your hands in. If it's cold, it relieves the itch, too. Plus it moisturizes your hands... no kidding. I keep my "AVC" in the refrigerator, and just soak until it's room temperature. Although when I have a really bad flare, I'll keep it under vinegar for hours. (We have a set of glasses that fits my hand perfectly. I look pretty silly, but hey, whatever works.)

When my skin gets just plain dry (non-flared) I rub a bit of vinegar on it - although I usually use white vinegar because it's not quite as... aromatic. I still smell a bit like a pickle, but it's worth it... lotion will get me all bubbly again. :(

I hope you feel better pronto! Good luck, and welcome to Skincell! :hugs:

I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline littlelady

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday June 11, 2008, 06:29:51 PM »
Hi again homsan
I'm not saying that apple cider can't help you but I tried it and it made my hands burn so be careful I would just try it out with just one finger and see how it does for your skin but I have to say that it did stop the itch but the burning was not so good for me. What I found that works for me is Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser and the Cetaphil lotion. Of course I also have two creams from my dermatologist when they get bad which makes it go away pretty quick. Washing my hands a lot makes mine worse so I make sure after I wash them I dry them completely by padding them dry. I also wash them in cold water not warm or hot. I hope that you find something on here that will work for you. Good luck let us know what happens. Take care. :hug:

Offline homsan

• Registered member
« Reply #4 on: Thursday June 12, 2008, 11:14:07 AM »
thanks for all the advice! i was pretty desperate when typing and have since had time to frantically rub at my hands (better than scratching but not by much) twice, both times resulting in nervous breakdowns, the latter one landing me in the emergency room due to swelling (which has never happened before) and hyperventilating.

at the moment my hands are bandaged and i have an appointment with a dermatologist this afternoon. also, i started taking anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds which hopefully will have a positive effect on my eczema. unless the flareups are completely random, i would guess my main triggers are stress and anxiety.
« Last Edit: Thursday June 12, 2008, 11:18:08 AM by homsan »

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
  • Administrative Bleeper!
  • Token Nutcase :D
« Reply #5 on: Friday June 13, 2008, 11:37:53 AM »
I've been getting sympathy itches! Hope the derm can help.

And I also want to thank Littlelady... she's 100% right that what works for one person may not work for another. :hugs: I hope you get feeling better soon.
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline littlelady

« Reply #6 on: Monday June 16, 2008, 11:07:24 PM »
Hey Bamawing
Just trying to help like everybody else and your very welcome.

Hi homsan
Let us know what the dermatologist said. Hope they find out what it is. Good luck. Take care

Offline homsan

• Registered member
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday June 17, 2008, 08:29:31 AM »
well, it's been nearly a week since i saw the dermatologist and i'm happy to say my hands are healing up nicely! i'm missing a few skin layers in places, but at least i'm rid of those darn blisters.

while they didn't give me a diagnosis this time around, they did prescribe Penicillin and gave me a 15 minute Potassium Permanganate soak that, to my amazement, chased the blisters away by the next day. as a result i'm feeling a great deal better both physically and mentally.

thanks for all your support and kind words! <3
« Last Edit: Tuesday June 17, 2008, 08:32:09 AM by homsan »

Offline littlelady

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday June 24, 2008, 01:21:26 AM »
Hi homsan
I'm so glad to hear that your hands are better. Thats just hope that your skin condition does not return. Keep us in mind if you ever need us again. Good luck and take care.

Offline Angel love

• Registered member
« Reply #9 on: Monday October 23, 2017, 11:03:40 PM »
Cetaphil face cleanser, works the best for me. The more you use it the less you have to use it in the long run. I promise it rea worked for me

Offline Eliezers

• Registered member
« Reply #10 on: Thursday January 09, 2020, 08:36:20 AM »
thanks for all the advice! i was pretty desperate when typing and have since had time to frantically rub at my hands (better than scratching but not by much) twice, both times https://athletesphysiques.com/black-label-x-reviews/ resulting in nervous breakdowns, the latter one landing me in the emergency room due to swelling (which has never happened before) and hyperventilating.

at the moment my hands are bandaged and i have an appointment with a dermatologist this afternoon. also, i started taking anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds which hopefully will have a positive effect on my eczema. unless the flareups are completely random, i would guess my main triggers are stress and anxiety.

Thats too painful :/
« Last Edit: Thursday January 09, 2020, 08:38:09 AM by Eliezers »