Author Topic: Misdiagnosed Seborrheic Dermatitis or Perioral Dermatitis?  (Read 3758 times)

Offline sati

• Registered member
Misdiagnosed Seborrheic Dermatitis or Perioral Dermatitis?
« on: Tuesday May 13, 2008, 10:59:43 PM »
I went through a really rough time in the last 6 months...

I first noticed tiny bumps [pin sized and hard] in the central areas of my face, exfoliated them away and never had a problem. Three weeks later I started to feel a burning sensation above my upper lip, then a month later I noticed redness between my upper lip and nose that sort of spread out to form a second mustache. I tried to ignore it and didn't seem to have a problem, but one day while in the shower I noticed it burned to wash my face.

Went to the derm. and was diagnosed with perioral dermatitis, but after a month of doxycycline and klaron I wasn't getting any relief from the burning or redness above my upper lip + the little bumps came BACK!!

I was then given Metro Cream (Noritate) and minocycline... tried that for 8 weeks and the redness really started to spread to my cheeks, plus my nose was now becoming very red and the sides where my nose meets my face were dry, raw and it hurt to smile or yawn...

I have now been told it may have been seborrheic dermatitis all along, but i don't get any flaking. ...just itching, some burning above my upper lip (which was ten times worse when I was using a mild cleanser, noritate, and spf 15 lotion every day) and feeling of dryness on my cheeks, but they don't look dry...

is this normal for people with seb derm? I mean: not flaking, just getting tiny little bumps, areas on cheeks that are sometimes pinkish-red, redness in the mustache area just below the nsoe and extending to the sides plus nearly constant burning/itching???

Offline sati

• Registered member
Re: Misdiagnosed Seborrheic Dermatitis or Perioral Dermatitis?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday May 22, 2008, 05:45:30 PM »
Does anyone have any information on this? possible causes, something??!?!?!

Offline GuzziHeroV50

• SkinCell Hero
  • Gas Guzzler
Re: Misdiagnosed Seborrheic Dermatitis or Perioral Dermatitis?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday May 22, 2008, 05:51:42 PM »
The original bumps dont sound like seborrhoeic dermatitis, unless its a type different to mine.

My SD just makes my skin flake badly on the scalp, forehead and sides of the nose.  The flaking is worse wherever hair grows such as the eyebrows and mustache line.  Mine only goes red and sore if I scratch/rub the skin at the points of irritation.  Also, I got a patch of flaking on my chest as well.

Sorry I cant help more...it could be some type of SD Ive not heard of, but it certainly isnt the same as mine.