Author Topic: Childhood Eczema  (Read 6325 times)

Offline Wooley

• Retired Moderator
Childhood Eczema
« on: Sunday September 30, 2007, 09:25:57 AM »
Hi everyone

I was just wondering, is Eczema worse in the winter? I know there isn't a standard answer but my daughters back is covered in E at the moment and I'm wondering if it is the colder weather, or something we're using in the bath (for example),

Thank you

Wooley

Offline totalfolly

• Retired Moderator
  • Crazy Cat Hero
  • I yam what I yam
Re: Childhood Eczema
« Reply #1 on: Sunday September 30, 2007, 12:47:29 PM »
Woo, I always have a much harder time with *E during colder weather.  :(

I hope she's not too miserable.

totalfolly
"If you hear a voice within you say 'You cannot paint'
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced."
 -- Vincent vanGogh

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: Sunday September 30, 2007, 08:52:15 PM »
I think it does typically get worse in the winter.... dry, cold air.

Poor thing!  Maybe some Aveeno powder in her bath Woo (colloidal oatmeal), followed by a nice massage of coconut oil to seal in the moisture?

Offline M@t

• Administrator
  • Admin Geezer
  • The World's Happiest Uncle
    • Matt's English Adventures Blog
« Reply #3 on: Monday October 01, 2007, 06:39:37 PM »
Aww... Poor Sarah

I'm not an expert, particularly, but one thign I will mention is food.

If she's suffered from food allergies a litle bit in the past she might be picking up something at school that might be triggering something. It's only a thought.

Kindest regards,

Me.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
The Doppler Effect - Why bad ideas seem good when they are coming towards you at high speed. Don't rush things!!!

Offline Wooley

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday October 02, 2007, 04:28:40 PM »
Thanks guys. Poor little thing but at least I know it's not atypical for E to be worse in winter. Strangely enough it doesn't seem to bother her as much as I think it should just looking at it I have to say.

Matty it's not a food issue as she has packed lunches. The school isn't even big enough to have a dinner hall.

Thanks again

:bighug:

Woo

Offline Wooley

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Monday January 28, 2008, 05:57:27 PM »
Can you believe it, my eldest son has E as well. It's so awful. I see their skin and it makes me want to cry.

At the moment DD's hands are red raw, and DS1's back and stomach are covered in it. When I was changing him into his PJs tonight I also noticed the insides of his elbows and the back of his knees are red as well.

It's SO unfair that these little ones have to go through this...

Does anyone know how likely it is that childhood E will clear as they grow up???

Wooley

Offline M@t

• Administrator
  • Admin Geezer
« Reply #6 on: Monday January 28, 2008, 06:37:45 PM »
:bighug: for you Woo..
:bighug: for DD
:bighug: for DS1

(all gently, of course)

Sometimes, these things can clear up during the teenage years, so there is hope. My best mate at primary school had Eczema, and by the time we met up again at college, it had cleared up.

Matt
The Doppler Effect - Why bad ideas seem good when they are coming towards you at high speed. Don't rush things!!!

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: Monday January 28, 2008, 07:38:15 PM »
Mine did, Woo.   It came back, but not til I was in my late twenties/early thirties...

I hope they feel better soon, poor wee ones. :hug: :hugs:

Offline totalfolly

• Retired Moderator
  • Crazy Cat Hero
  • I yam what I yam
« Reply #8 on: Monday January 28, 2008, 09:13:45 PM »
I'm sorry, I have no childhood experiences with skin problems to offer.  Just wanted to offer :hugs: for you and your children.

totalfolly
 -- Vincent vanGogh

Offline BlistersOnMyFingers

• SkinCell God
  • of Multiple Choice
« Reply #9 on: Monday January 28, 2008, 11:06:48 PM »
Something that has been working well for DS1 is Aveeno Intense Relief Overnight Cream, immediately after a bath.  The Aveeno cream all over and a hydrocortisone cream on the red spots twice a day has made a big difference. 

HTH.
Play The SkinCell Daily Quiz Daily Trivia game.  Post your results HERE.

Offline Dapper

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday January 29, 2008, 06:24:53 PM »

Does anyone know how likely it is that childhood E will clear as they grow up???

It's usually the worst in childhood.  For many people it clears up a lot [or, not uncommonly, 100%] as they grow into adulthood, from what I've seen and read.  My skin got much better when I was a teenager, although it got a lot worse again when I got into my 20s, but it has never been as bad as when I was a child.  In the worst case, at least as you get older you can work more effectively to control it, in terms of treatment and taking such careful care of your skin and being careful about everything that touches it, which is difficult for children to do. 

Offline Wooley

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday March 25, 2008, 09:24:43 AM »
Well they say things happen in 3's.   ::) :'(

I was just changing the baby and on the back of his chubby little leg is a massive patch of  *E  what have these little ones done to deserve this??

The other thing is, it seems to be starting earlier with him as well.

DS1 is incredibly itchy and has the patches in the "usual" places - elbows and knees. DS doesn't seem to be so bad now but her skin as a whole feels really rough like the skin of an old person.

It really really makes me feel so sad for them, and (stupidly) guilty...

Wooley

Offline M@t

• Administrator
  • Admin Geezer
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday March 25, 2008, 06:54:43 PM »
:(

:bighug: for DS2

Don't blame yourself, Woo. It's not your fault. It's not their's either. Yoou have wonderful children, and they definitely don't deserve it.

Kindest Regards,

Matt.

Offline totalfolly

• Retired Moderator
  • Crazy Cat Hero
  • I yam what I yam
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday March 25, 2008, 07:38:52 PM »
Woo, your feelings aren't stupid.  :hugs:  As Matt has said (and as you know) this isn't your fault, but you can't help feeling bad for them.

Poor wee ones.  :(  I know how miserable I am sometimes, and I hate to hear about children with these conditions.

totalfolly
 -- Vincent vanGogh

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday March 25, 2008, 09:58:47 PM »
Woo.  I understand that feeling of guilt.

I remember feeling that way when DS1 was diagnosed with asthma.  I couldn't help but feel that if I had done things differently during pregnancy, it wouldn't of happened. :(

Recently I had the same conversation with my mother.  She felt the same when it came to my blood disorder.  It's illogical, but a normal feeling. 

If it helps, just keep reminding yourself that in the grand scheme of things, there are a lot worse things than eczema...  your kids are lucky to have a mum like you. :hug:

Offline bongi2222

• Registered member
« Reply #15 on: Thursday April 24, 2008, 02:45:35 PM »
Hi there,

Itchichik is right there are worse things than eczema, but when someone suffers from a problem,
even if the problem is not too serious but impedes one's life quality, it's not really much of comfort.

Someone in my family had cancer, suffered immensly, and complainged a lot as quite understandable,
and was shocked to find out there were more severe cases in the same type of cancer, but
didn't get comfort sort-to-speak from this, but rather came to realize he should thank god his
condition was controllable till he got free of the cancer though left with ex-radiation problems...

What i'm trying to point out is that, there's almost always more severe cases or more severe possibilities, but it's not necessarily comforting for someone that deals with his own "agony". Usually, it is comforting
to know that a case is possibily controllable, that there's what to do, and that there are guys like in this forum that support you and share their knowledge and experience, be it helpful in practice and even if not.

As per the specific eczema case in question, it might be helpful to try to diagnose it's origin. If it is atopic, then nowadays there's protopic & elidel which i know from friends that could be very helpful - my friend has little children too who suffer from atopic eczema on their body skin and this type of cream is a real help for them, as alternative of cortisones cause thinning of the skin in their case.

Since the eczema in this case seems to be spread and not localized, and probably itching is involved, while one can't prevent small kids from scratching it  :(, maybe some anti-alergic medicine could alleviate the itchiness and if not, then some soothing cream like others suggested.

As per change in eczema with age & time. Usually the way atopy is expressed in the body, may change in time & form, and it is reported in many documents that childhood eczema may disappear in time, but as people mentioned it could return later. Unfortunately modern medicine didn't find yet a way to fix genes, only recently finished to map them and there's still a long way there...

Many hugs & sympathy. Sometimes it's trial & error to find what works best, and even at that, it may change in time.  :bighug: :bighug: