Author Topic: Happy BirthdayAndyb!  (Read 19158 times)

bunnie

Happy BirthdayAndyb!
« on: Friday April 18, 2008, 07:05:54 AM »
To wish you a VERY Happy birthday Andyb , and many more to come.
Very best Wishes Bunnie.

Offline LIGA girl

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Cicadas
  • Me Simpsonized!
Re: Happy BirthdayAndyb!
« Reply #1 on: Friday April 18, 2008, 07:10:10 AM »
Happy Birthday AndyB ....

Hope it's a great day for you!   :beer: :slosh: :beer: :slosh:

Offline M@t

• Administrator
  • Admin Geezer
  • The World's Happiest Uncle
    • Matt's English Adventures Blog
Re: Happy Birthday Andyb!
« Reply #2 on: Friday April 18, 2008, 11:49:47 AM »
Happy birthday mate!

Kindest Regards,

Matt
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
The Doppler Effect - Why bad ideas seem good when they are coming towards you at high speed. Don't rush things!!!

Offline BlistersOnMyFingers

• SkinCell God
  • of Multiple Choice
« Reply #3 on: Friday April 18, 2008, 12:10:40 PM »
Happy Happy!!
Play The SkinCell Daily Quiz Daily Trivia game.  Post your results HERE.

Offline totalfolly

• Retired Moderator
  • Crazy Cat Hero
  • I yam what I yam
« Reply #4 on: Friday April 18, 2008, 12:36:28 PM »
Have a wonderful birthday, Andy!  :hugs:

totalfolly
"If you hear a voice within you say 'You cannot paint'
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced."
 -- Vincent vanGogh

Offline Blue Bird

• SkinCell Grand
  • Lyricist
« Reply #5 on: Friday April 18, 2008, 05:29:19 PM »

Dear Andyb,
Wishing you all the best in life on this day, your BIRTHDAY.
May it bring you everything you wish for, with lots of fun
and good surprises all day through.   :hugs:
« Last Edit: Friday April 18, 2008, 05:33:41 PM by Blue Bird »
When we understand that there is no up without a down,no over without an under, no good without a bad, no light without dark, no hot without cold, no yes without a no, we understand wholeness, and we cease to be disturbed, distressed, or perplexed by the illusion of anything less than wholeness.

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: Saturday April 19, 2008, 12:42:47 AM »
Happy happy birthday, Andy! :hugs: :hugs: :slosh: :bighug:  Hope you had a great day!

Offline andyb

• Global Moderator
  • of Wackiness
  • I've been Simpsonized!
    • Welcome to my Concorde website
« Reply #7 on: Saturday April 19, 2008, 09:18:51 AM »
I had a lovely day with a quiet evening in - takeaway and working through a Frasier series1 dvd* ;D

Bunnie - I love that postcard - thank you! does it have any details on the back? or do you have any idea as to the date it was produced? The anorak in me is trying to work out what locomotive may be hauling the train...  8)

Blue Bird - another great cake! Thank you! Where do you have the time to do all this virtual cakebaking?!

Thank you for the best wishes everyone!

andyb

*actually, the evening didn't start out so well - we got a dvd to watch on the basis that it had won 2 Golden Globes (incl best picture), an Oscar (R) for best adapted screenplay, and was described by GO Magazine as "the funniest film of the year" - well nearly an hour into it we still hadn't laughed (ok maybe a smile...) and I was getting fed up with it - Wifely One too - so Frasier came to the rescue and averted near disaster!

Thank you Dr Crane!

« Last Edit: Saturday April 19, 2008, 09:23:49 AM by andyb »
I'm playing The SkinCell Daily Quiz - are you??

bunnie

« Reply #8 on: Saturday April 19, 2008, 09:51:44 AM »
Hi Andyb, I actually own a print of this watercolour by C.Williamson. It is of Carlisle settle Railway of course, showing the Old Steam train, but there is no other information about the engine. However I found their website here. If you have never been on it, you would enjoy it!
http://www.settle-carlisle.co.uk/
bunnie

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
  • Administrative Bleeper!
  • Token Nutcase :D
« Reply #9 on: Saturday April 19, 2008, 03:38:01 PM »
Ah! I'm glad I came on! Sorry my wishes are belated, but

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! ;D
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

bunnie

« Reply #10 on: Sunday April 20, 2008, 09:39:50 AM »
Just thought you might be interested in this Andyb. I saw it yesterday whilst shopping for postcards. I have been on this train I'm sure to Edinborough. I think it was 1954/55  I'm not sure. Would I be right? I seem to remember being told I was going on The Flying Scotsman! Anyway I found this interesting...
"Flying Scotsman" Derailed, May 1926.    The General Strike had started on May 3rd when the TUC (T.U.C.) called out the key unions - railwaymen, dockers, road transport workers, iron and steel workers - in support of the miners.  There was much bitterness as middle class volunteers were brought in to keep the trains running - a schoolboy's dream come true for many of them!  he down Flying Scotsman was derailed at Cramlington, Northumberland - almost certainly caused by striking miners, although no charges were brought following the incident."

Offline andyb

• Global Moderator
  • of Wackiness
  • I've been Simpsonized!
« Reply #11 on: Sunday April 20, 2008, 03:01:36 PM »
Bunnie - that's very interesting :nod:

We ought to clarify from the start that the unfortunate locomotive lying on its side is not, however, the famous 4472 Flying Scotsman, but rather another A1 class locomotive No 2565 Merry Hampton - most of the LNER A1 class locos (later A3 class) were named after racehorses.

'The Flying Scotsman' was actually the name of the express train that ran the 390 miles between London and Edinburgh in around 7 hours, (more info on the National Railway Museum website: http://www.nrm.org.uk/flyingscotsman/index.asp ) and it was this express that Merry Hampton was pulling when it was the victim of that sabotage by striking miners. I'm sure you'll be pleased to hear that, despite the fact that the loco and a number of coaches were derailed, thankfully, no-one was killed in the de-railment - apparently the driver had been forewarned to expect trouble and had slowed the train.

You might be interested in a book written about this incident - very much from the point of view of the striking miners:

'Let No Wheels Turn - The Wrecking Of The Flying Scotsman. 1926.' by Margaret Hutcherson.

Here's a link to a review of the book which makes interesting reading in its own right - although from the language used it seems heavily biased in favour of those that perpetrated the incident....
http://www.minersadvice.co.uk/reviews_let_no_wheels_turn.htm 

In fact, the book says a number of miners, including some who had claimed amnesty to help with the investigation, were afterwards convicted and sentenced to penal servitude for taking part in what was widely seen as a 'Class War' - although most had been freed after 3 1/2 years following a campaign by the International Class War Prisoners Aid movement.

Do read the review and see what you think....

andyb

Offline GuzziHeroV50

• SkinCell Hero
  • Gas Guzzler
« Reply #12 on: Sunday April 20, 2008, 03:08:56 PM »
A belated happy birthday to you, Andy :)

Offline M@t

• Administrator
  • Admin Geezer
« Reply #13 on: Sunday April 20, 2008, 03:09:01 PM »
We ought to clarify from the start that the unfortunate locomotive lying on its side is not, however, the famous 4472 Flying Scotsman, but rather another A1 class locomotive No 2565 Merry Hampton - most of the LNER A1 class locos (later A3 class) were named after racehorses.

If memory serves, 'Merry Hampton' was involved in another railway accident. Grantham comes to mind, but without my Dad's collection of books on Railway accidents to hand, I can't be sure.

Oh dear... I sound all geeky now.  :-[

Matt
The Doppler Effect - Why bad ideas seem good when they are coming towards you at high speed. Don't rush things!!!

Offline andyb

• Global Moderator
  • of Wackiness
  • I've been Simpsonized!
« Reply #14 on: Sunday April 20, 2008, 05:29:16 PM »
If memory serves, 'Merry Hampton' was involved in another railway accident. Grantham comes to mind, but without my Dad's collection of books on Railway accidents to hand, I can't be sure.

Oh dear... I sound all geeky now.  :-[

Matt

Matt - you're right!  :praise: (well partly!) - see this from Wikipedia:

The Goswick rail crash occurred on 27 October 1947. The Flying Scotsman express from Edinburgh Waverley to London Kings Cross failed to slow down for a diversion and derailed. 27 people were killed. It was the last major accident to occur on British railways before their nationalisation on 1 January 1948.

The train was scheduled to divert from the main fast line to a goods loop at Goswick, Northumberland, between Berwick-upon-Tweed and Morpeth, because of engineering work on the fast line. However, the driver failed to respond to the signals in advance of the diversion and took the 15 mph restricted turnout at approximately 60 mph. The engine, A3 Class No. 66 "Merry Hampton" [renumbered A1 Class 2565], and most of the train derailed and overturned.

andyb

Offline andyb

• Global Moderator
  • of Wackiness
  • I've been Simpsonized!
« Reply #15 on: Sunday April 20, 2008, 05:31:26 PM »
A belated happy birthday to you, Andy :)

That's very thoughtful of you to think of me Guzz - especially at this time when you must have so many other things to think about :hug:

Thank you

andyb

Offline andyb

• Global Moderator
  • of Wackiness
  • I've been Simpsonized!
« Reply #16 on: Sunday April 20, 2008, 05:35:31 PM »
Ah! I'm glad I came on! Sorry my wishes are belated, but

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! ;D

you're not too late Bama!

Actually, I'm still in 'birthday denial' - I resolved last year not to have any more once I'd passed 50  ::)

Still it's very nice to receive all these good wishes form y'all!   :bighug:

so, maybe I will have another next year after all.... God willing ;D

andyb

bunnie

« Reply #17 on: Monday April 21, 2008, 12:06:28 AM »
So it was pulling the Flying Scotsman service? What does that mean Andyb?
I had better tell the chap who is selling the card! You know what ebay is like if something isn't described right. After reading that review you can partly see why miners always voted labour!
My family weren't miners, but we were surrounded by the mining community, and it was a very tight knit community that I can remember.
Thanks Andyb that was very interesting.
Bunnie

Offline M@t

• Administrator
  • Admin Geezer
« Reply #18 on: Monday April 21, 2008, 11:44:35 AM »
Matt - you're right!  :praise: (well partly!) - see this from Wikipedia:

The Goswick rail crash occurred on 27 October 1947. The Flying Scotsman express from Edinburgh Waverley to London Kings Cross failed to slow down for a diversion and derailed. 27 people were killed. It was the last major accident to occur on British railways before their nationalisation on 1 January 1948.

The train was scheduled to divert from the main fast line to a goods loop at Goswick, Northumberland, between Berwick-upon-Tweed and Morpeth, because of engineering work on the fast line. However, the driver failed to respond to the signals in advance of the diversion and took the 15 mph restricted turnout at approximately 60 mph. The engine, A3 Class No. 66 "Merry Hampton" [renumbered A1 Class 2565], and most of the train derailed and overturned.

I knew it began with a G. And it was somewhere on the ECML.

Offline andyb

• Global Moderator
  • of Wackiness
  • I've been Simpsonized!
« Reply #19 on: Monday April 21, 2008, 06:43:57 PM »
So it was pulling the Flying Scotsman service? What does that mean Andyb?

Bunnie,

'The Flying Scotsman' express train service is often confused with the 4472 'Flying Scotsman' locomotive - notice the difference?

And to confuse the issue here's an image on the BBC website:

which shows 4472 Flying Scotsman the locomotive with the headboard for 'The Flying Scotsman' train! But they are two different things!!

This is why the 2505 'Merry Hampton' the loco, could be allocated to pull 'The Flying Scotsman' train - as could any other express loco - diesel included - for example in later years 'The Flying Scotsman' was hauled by a Deltic class diesel....

hope this explains?