Author Topic: drink advice  (Read 6404 times)

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
  • Administrative Bleeper!
  • Token Nutcase :D
drink advice
« on: Thursday March 06, 2008, 12:02:22 AM »
I am slowly perfecting my "Bama Yama Wow This Tastes Healthy Drink." So far, I've got a fabulous smoothie going.

2 yams, cooked and peeled
a can of frozen pinapple juice
1 of the recommended cans of water
1 can of orange juice
Lime juice like you love you some lime juice

Put it in a blender, one ingrediant at a time in order, and blend until nice and smoooooth. You can add a second can of water as you pour it out... otherwise it won't all fit. Stir before drinking if you leave it in the fridge for more than a few days.

It really does make a righteous smoothie. There's just one problem... I'm not a huge smoothie fan! :( It separates out, though, and I love love love the lighter juice. (The original recipie said to let it settle.) The lighter juice tastes like all of the above, and quenches thirst to boot.

At first I tried straining it, but that's... not really feasable. The stuff has the approximate consistancy of ketchup, and there's SO much nice-tasting sauce left over that you really hate to throw away... :( (I think it would be excellent atop vanilla ice cream, myself.) Not to mention the fact that it takes literally hours to get a single glass.

The lighter juice would be a fine beverage to drink for dinner, or when I'm thirsty. The smoothie doesn't really work for either. Ideally, I would like to have no sauce at all, but I could deal with having enough for one or two bowls of ice cream. (Ok, I would like that more than I need to admit.) Plus I actually like a little pulp, so that's not a problem either.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can lighten it? I've tried adding more water, but that just makes it... watery. Diluting it with orange juice ditto. Blending the cream cheese out of it seems to help... a little. Could I press it somehow...? Does anyone have any ideas?
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
  • The best medicine is caring and affection.
    • Eureka Ideas Unlimited, Anthropositor's Posts,   To Obama
Re: drink advice
« Reply #1 on: Saturday March 08, 2008, 07:45:08 PM »
I have the feeling that I may have contributed the idea for one of the ingredients in your recipe.  It seems like quite a creative way of increasing the variety of ways that yams can be consumed.  I wonder if you really have to peel them before cooking and blending them.  I know some people who eat the skins. I usually don't.  But I eat conventional potato skins when baked, for the additional fiber that they provide, and because they are acidic, balancing the more alkaline potato interior.  I would not be a bit surprised if that rationale applied to yams as well.

Most recently, I have been looking at beets for their nutritional value.  My instinct at this point, call it a hunch, is that beet juice is considerably more healthful when combined with other vegetables, and that it is very healthful indeed.  As with yams, I always consume them cooked.  I do not know if yams or beets are among the vegetables that have to be cooked.  But until I discover some specific advantage that these vegetables have in their raw form. I'll probably continue to cook them.

I have been focusing more on increasing both soluble and insoluble fiber in my diet.  Both of these vegetables are fiberfull.  The thicker parts of your health drink are probably much better for you than the thinner portions you prefer, because this is where the fiber is.

Beets also may provide you with another taste that will reduce the chance that the drink will become routine or boring.

I must say, I am a latecomer to the vegetable bandwagon.  My inclination has always been more toward meats grains and fruits.  It is difficult for me to eat beans or squash or many other nutritious vegetables.  I try to make up for it with additional fruits, but I don't know if this is a good trade off.

It will always be a struggle for me to continue to increase my vegetable intake.  My goal is to triple it, over my lifetime daily average.  Frankly, so far I have probably doubled consumption at most.

I have not gotten into the blender or the juicer habit yet.  While  I have both a blender and a juicer, they go without being used very often.  I have no logical defense for this.  It is inertia and habit that is sabotaging me. 

I buy a lot more vegetables than I consume.  Half wind up going to the chickens or mixed with the cat and dog foods before they go bad.

One thing that has been helpful is my grater.  I make a variety of hobo soups which are thick enough with grains and grated and diced vegetables and seeds and mushrooms, along with some beef or chicken, that they can be eaten with a fork.  maybe they are actually stew.  It is the inclusion of some meat that tricks me into eating these high vegetable meals. 

The grated vegetables help greatly not only with the nutrition, but in providing a really pleasing texture.  Oh yes, and I use quite a lot of different herbs and spices, as well as freshly coarse-ground black pepper.

Even within the limits of my current level of success in adding vegetables, the impact on my health has been profound, just in the past few years.  My skin has cleared of all previous problems.  And probably my biggest source of vegetables is in these soups.  I throw the grated vegetables into the soups very late.  Grains like rice and barley go in first, then sliced things like celery and onions (sometimes sauteed first).  Chicken and beef or venison are broiled or baked leftovers, never added raw to a soup, so they can go in quite late.  Last are the grated things which are best al dente (barely cooked) and the herbs and spices of your choice and freshly cracked pepper. 

And instead of salt, I add some Potassium Chloride.  This is a great option for those who are working to lighten the excess sodium load in their diets.

My wife would never shake potassium chloride (one brand is NoSalt) on her steak at the table.  She disdains it with vigor.

It doesn't matter.  What she does not realize is that it has already been added to the marinade or the rub.  It is also hidden in these soups.  She does not need to know it is there. 
« Last Edit: Saturday March 08, 2008, 09:07:32 PM by anthropositor »
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." Chinese Proverb.

"What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn examine first before you decide"-- Confucius

Pray to the Gods, for the Gods are not unless you pray to them.--Don Marquis

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
  • Administrative Bleeper!
  • Token Nutcase :D
« Reply #2 on: Sunday March 09, 2008, 12:09:39 PM »
You're 100% correct about the yams, Anthro. ;) And what's even better is that it appears to be helping! Just yesterday Dan noticed a strange pattern of my behavior: I was a little grumpier than usual, and far more likely to apologize for the grumpiness. It took me 3-4 minutes of concentrated thought before I realized what time of the month it was! :yay: This may sound trivial, but before now, it's been quite obvious.

Your hobo soup sounds like my favorite Beef Stew. Ingrediants: beef stewing chunks, a little water, and whatever looks interesting in the produce section. And we have a very interesting produce section indeed: I've tried bok choy, oddly colored new potatoes (one was purrrrrple!) and other interesting-looking (and tasting) elements before Dan cottened on. He's intensly picky. Now I'm down to onions, potatos, tomatoes, carrots, and occasionally I put some green beans in. I would love English peas, but like I said, intensly picky. :-P To his credit, he'll eat my chicken pot pie, and that has a few English peas hidden in.

Dan's pickiness is the primary reason I went with a drink instead of food. Dan drinks coffee, beer, and water. Nothing else. I'm more adventurous, and having something "different" with dinner is a good thing in my estimation. Two birds with one stone. The fact that it's a drink is also the reason I go ahead and peal the yams: I don't think the skins would drink well.

I'm right there with you on the potassuim chloride. I was a skeptic at first, but it really does taste exactly like regular salt.

Dan said the same thing about the fiber. He's a smart cookie, even if he's a picky one.

Perhaps I'm looking at this the wrong way... instead of condensing the sludge I might should let it separate and then increase it somehow, giving me both my thin drink for thirst-quenching and my thick drink for thick-drink-drinking. My largest problem with it is that after I drink it, I'm twice as thirsty as when I started. Hmmmm....
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #3 on: Sunday March 09, 2008, 12:42:10 PM »
You might be able to mix that portion of your smoothie that is too thick for your taste, as the liquid needed for a package of instant chocolate pudding, slice in a banana, stir, and chill to set.

I was a bit "in my cups" last night, which fortunately only showed by an excess of typos and a bit of whimsy about the cats, on another thread, which I still had enough sense not to explain.  I figured my natural wine was too mild to really get a buzz on.  It isn't. 

The aristocrats thing is sort of an ongoing tribute to Lenny Bruce by the many entertainers who have benefited by his courage and idiocy.  He left a legacy of freedom which gets battered even now.  But the genie is resistant to being stuffed back into the lamp.  Freedom, like power, is seized, not granted.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." Chinese Proverb.

"What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn examine first before you decide"-- Confucius

Offline M@t

• Administrator
  • Admin Geezer
  • The World's Happiest Uncle
    • Matt's English Adventures Blog
« Reply #4 on: Sunday March 09, 2008, 01:48:27 PM »
Bama,

What are you using to strain with?

I remember when my Dad made Raspberry Vinegar, he'd use some muslin, and it separated most of what was left of the fleshy bit of the raspberries, and all the seeds and so on.

What came out the bottom was lovely and clear.

Matt
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
The Doppler Effect - Why bad ideas seem good when they are coming towards you at high speed. Don't rush things!!!

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: Sunday March 09, 2008, 01:51:13 PM »
On the topic of smoothies, Bama, it's really interesting your observations about your health...

A few years ago I bought a blender, and I use it for making myself fruit smoothies in the morning... a whole whack of frozen fruit... blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, mango... etc.  (or fresh berries in the summer), yogurt, and maybe some flax seeds or flax seed oil.  I find it filling and refreshing (but I have a hard time drinking it when it's cold outside... psychological perhaps).

I also use it for pureeing every manner of vegetable into a fully blended sauce that I feed to the kids on pasta, or as a sauce for homemade pizza.  Last week I made lasagne, and I "hid" zucchini, red pepper, onion, celery, carrots, sundried tomatoes, mushrooms in the sauce.  They loved it, and wouldn't have been nearly so thrilled if they could have seen the chunks of veggies in there.  I do force them to try new veggies all the time, but I tend to stick to one new one at a time, otherwise they find it overwhelming.

Anyways, as far as the smoothies go, DH likes to make a huge volume of smoothie as a "bed time snack"... and he puts in everything you can imagine... apples, bananas, etc...  He insists that he wakes up feeling more energetic and healthier on the nights he has smoothies before bed.  Interesting, huh?

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #6 on: Friday August 08, 2008, 06:26:17 PM »
Hi Itchy,
With my new monocle I can see your picture.  Lovely.  If I can get my driver over here this afternoon, I am just going to go out and be a people watcher today.

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: Friday August 08, 2008, 07:46:12 PM »
Aw, thanks anthro! :-*

Enjoy your people watching!

Offline CazAngel

• SkinCell God
  • An Enigma
    • My Facebook page.
« Reply #8 on: Sunday September 07, 2008, 12:17:55 PM »
Very interesting, thanks for posting!  ;D
With care,
Caz (Carolyn)
xx :hugs:

"Nonviolence is not a garment to be put on and off at will.
Its seat is in the heart, and it must be an inseparable part of our being." - Gandhi

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination." - Einstein