Author Topic: Help - I have today been told I have Seb. Eczema  (Read 4010 times)

Offline artichick

• Registered member
Help - I have today been told I have Seb. Eczema
« on: Monday February 04, 2008, 06:54:08 PM »
Hi all,

I have been told by the Dr. today that I have seb.eczema to all to all my other problems! 

Can you please give me some advice as to what I should and should not do i.e. face creams, food, etc.

Any help will be gratefully received.  I am just about at the end of my tether with having yet another incurable skin problem that will probably mean I will end up living a life in one room too embarrassed to go out into the real world.

bunnie

Re: Help - I have today been told I have Seb. Eczema
« Reply #1 on: Monday February 04, 2008, 07:29:11 PM »
Hello artichick and welcome to skincell !
I am just about at the end of my tether with having yet another incurable skin problem that will probably mean I will end up living a life in one room too embarrassed to go out into the real world.
I know it feels like that, it's awful. and difficult to think positive when your skin is inflamed and blotchy, and just to add to everything you are irritated to pieces with it. Do you have psoriasis also?
You may have seen this, I found it gave some pretty good advice, what do you think?
http://www.eczema.org/sebadult.pdf
I was rather interested in this bit I have quoted below
:
The term seborrhoeic eczema (pronounced seb-or-A-ik) was used to describe the condition a long
time ago when it was thought to be caused by excess production of the skin’s natural grease, called
sebum. While it is true that seborrhoeic eczema does occur in areas where sebum-producing glands
are greatest in number, greasy skin is not in fact the cause of it - some people affected by it actually
have dry skin.
Recently, it has come to light that a particular yeast, called pityrosporum ovale, is often found on the skin of people with seborrhoeic eczema. It likes to live where a lot of sebum is produced, so concentrates around those areas where the rash usually occurs. This yeast may well be responsible for seborrhoeic eczema developing in many people - reducing the number of yeasts living on the skin  by using special medications can improve the condition considerably.
Another yeast, which causes thrush, may also be found on the skin of those with seborrhoeic eczema.
While thrush does not cause this type of eczema, it can make the condition worse. It often infects
those areas of skin that have become moist and sore, such as in the body folds. Infection with bacteria can also make the rash worse and encourage it to spread.
So basically, one type of yeast seems to be the instigator, and as with all skin conditions fungal infections are often found and, this exascerbates the situation. Maybe the answer is to have scrapings taken, determining if either of these are in fact present, and prescribing you a treatment sensitive to whatever they find.
It is certainly something I would ask about.
Hope this is of help...
Bunnie
« Last Edit: Monday February 04, 2008, 08:31:46 PM by bunnie »

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday February 05, 2008, 01:38:46 AM »
Hi artichick,

I'm so sorry you are feeling so down about this.  I know that some of our members have had good success in controlling seb. eczema.  I know that Guzzi has had excellent results with Selsun, which, I think, does contain some type of anti-fungal.  You may have to experiment a bit to see what might work for you, and bunnie's suggestion of a scraping is a good one, if your doctor has not already done this.

Good luck, and keep us posted. :)

Offline artichick

• Registered member
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday February 05, 2008, 09:17:49 AM »
Hi both,

Thanks for replying.  My Doc has not taken a scrapping so will have to speak to him about that.  I am guessing that with my other skin problems this was inevitable.  With all that nasty stuff around  :-[  He has given me some cream to put on it twice a day for 5 days so I am hoping this will improve it.

Bunnie I will have a look at the site you recommend. Thanks for the push in that direction.  I just feel that I am floundering in the dark at the moment.  Got home and paniced as I suddenly didn't know what I should be doing as regards yet another skin problem.

Itchychick thanks for the suggestion as regards Selsun.  I will have to look into that one too.

Thanks for being there.  This place is such a great place to come when you are feeling like the only one!!!!  Usually someone comes and helps.  It is a place where I can be open with my problems and people understand.  In the real world people just nod in what they think is the right place then get on with their lives with not much of a backward glance in my direction. Thanks again. 

Offline GuzziHeroV50

• SkinCell Hero
  • Gas Guzzler
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday February 05, 2008, 11:17:15 AM »
Hi artichick!  I do indeed suffer from Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and I found my control was Selsun shampoo (available from a chemist) and I found this helped as a skin moisturiser: http://www.westons.com/cgi/sh000247.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2ewestons%2ecom%2fcgi%2fsh000247%2epl%3fREFPAGE%3dhttp%253a%252f%252fwww%252ewestons%252ecom%252facatalog%252fsearch%252ehtml%26WD%3dcyclax%26PN%3dOnline_Catalogue_Cyclax_Nature_Pure_7290%252ehtml%2523a2219863&WD=cyc303&SHOP=%20&PN=Online_Catalogue_Cyclax_Nature_Pure_7290%2ehtml%23a2219863#a2219863

EPIC LINK! ;)

What you must be aware of is that if a treatment makes your skin burn or itch, it isnt for you.  Different people find different treatments work for them and it can be very frustrating being on the medication merry-go-round till you find your combination.  We will help you find something that helps :)

Offline artichick

• Registered member
« Reply #5 on: Sunday February 10, 2008, 09:42:57 AM »
Guzzihero -

thanks for the link. (I am glad I didn't have to type that one in - lol).  I just love this site and the people on it.  The help you are giving me is fantastic.  I felt very much alone with this problem and I dont know anyone with this condition as far as I know!

So far I only have it on my neck and behind the ear and I so want to be able to try to keep it under control to stop it spreading.  As I also have HS I can do without the added problems. 

Am I right in thinking I need to keep my skin moisturised?  Are there any foods I should avoid?  Or does it not work like that?

Sorry if I am asking stupid questions - as you can see I am really floundering.

Hugs - artichick

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: Sunday February 10, 2008, 06:53:11 PM »
Hey there, artichick.

Hang in there, you will get a handle on what needs to be done.

I just wanted to comment on your question about foods.  Although I don't have your conditions, I have found that when I eat a healthy diet (lots of veg, some fruit, and not too many carbs), as well as take my supplements (in particular the essential fatty acids in the form of fish oil or flax seed oil) that my skin is much more "even tempered" and less reactive.  The oils in particular help to keep me from feeling really dried out, if you know what I mean.   It's probably unlikely that food are triggering your condition, but it might be worth your while to do some reading and find out whether any additional supplements may be helpful, based on what your diet is.  Hope that helps!

Offline artichick

• Registered member
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday February 13, 2008, 09:06:02 AM »
Thanks itchychick,

Thanks for the info.  I do follow as healthy a diet as possible for most of the time.  Have to have to odd splurge though - lol.  I think most of my problems are stress related as I could worry for Britain in the Olympics and come out with a gold every time.

Though I am wondering if it might not be genetic as my mother has Vasculitus, which I understand is another autoimmune problem. 

Must do so more research on this.