Author Topic: PC Maintenance  (Read 6881 times)

Offline M@t

• Administrator
  • Admin Geezer
  • The World's Happiest Uncle
    • Matt's English Adventures Blog
PC Maintenance
« on: Sunday February 03, 2008, 03:05:59 PM »
Well, I switched my PC on the other day, and about 5 minutes later it emitted a queer buzzing / humming / squealing noise, whihc I eventually traced to the graphics card cooler.

I spent an hour or so cleaning everything out re-seating things, and everything seems OK now.

I was wondering what other cleaning regimes people have in place for their PCs.

It all follows on (conveniently) from an article in PC Plus magazine about noise and cooling efficiency in a PC. Apparently, there's a lot that can be done to improve the cooling efficiency, reliability and lifetime of a computer just by re-arranging things inside.

Thoughts anyone?

Matt
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
The Doppler Effect - Why bad ideas seem good when they are coming towards you at high speed. Don't rush things!!!

Offline Nick

• SkinCell Friend
  • SkinCell buddy
    • SkinCell
Re: PC Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: Sunday February 03, 2008, 05:17:01 PM »
I usually give mine a good jet wash in the garden every few months.
Normally I wait until I need to jet wash the crazy paving so I just drop the PC tower at the end of the path, take off the side panels and then go for it.
Funnily enough it does make a few squeaky squawky rattle bang fizz pop noises when we first turn it on and the kids complain awfully when I force them to dry off the water droplets while it's plugged in to the mains, but you know what kids are like. ::)

Any who, if you don't have a jet wash then a dishwasher is good. Make sure youtake off both panels so the sprinklers can do their stuff.

If you don't have a dishwasher then you can't beat a good old fashions bucket of soapy water and a stiff wire brush - it's great for getting in to those hard to reach delicate litttle places.

:lol:

(footnote - please do NOT try any of the above - your PC or Mac will not love you for it)

bunnie

« Reply #2 on: Sunday February 03, 2008, 06:06:50 PM »
 :roll: :lol: :roll:
Panic stations when anything goes wrong with mine, and why can't people explain what to do to put it right in English? All Computer speak! Its a whole new language! Why can't they say that thingy in the back with a purple plug on it or whatever! Instead of Isp and various other initialed ports! Nightmare!

Offline LIGA girl

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Cicadas
  • Me Simpsonized!
« Reply #3 on: Sunday February 03, 2008, 07:14:47 PM »
I will pass on you tips to my son Matt, he likes to play with those sort of things.

(footnote - please do NOT try any of the above - your PC or Mac will not love you for it)

Nick, I am so glad you posted that last sentence ... some of us might take that post seriously!

Offline Dominius

• Registered member
« Reply #4 on: Saturday June 14, 2008, 08:50:28 AM »
Wirebrushes and buckets of water aside, if its better air flow and noise reduction your after, make sure everything is bolted down, ie Hard Drive CD Drive and so on, cable ties for your Power Supply Units cables, and see if you can keep them all pretty much together. This will just help the air flow from your fans, helping keep everything cooler. And as daft as it sounds, keep you side panels on, as a kid i used to take them off thinking it would help get air to it, but the case is designed in a way to be effective closed. compressed air or a mini anti-static vac to get rid of dust on all components, including fans, to make sure they run at an optimum speed. and if all else fails go back to Nicks ideas! All in all, a healthy PC!!

bunnie

« Reply #5 on: Saturday June 14, 2008, 11:36:29 AM »
Can any of you techy guys help me with a problem, (in very simple steps please!)
I have an AOL toolbar, which I really like. Everything I need is on there and I have it all organised!
I have recently joined Ancestry.co.uk, and it was so slow moving around the site. I checked it out, and aol browser does slow things down on the site, so they recommend using internet explorer. Sure enough, it works a treat, quick and easy as it should be. Problem is , the  toolbar, I really don't like it,  and I wondered if I could use my aol.toolbar on internet explorer, as I know where everything is and can move around it much quicker. If I can do this, would it slow everything down again?
Sorry, I'm really dense when it comes to computers!
If I can do it safely, would anyone be so kind to give me step by step instructions how to do it? Thank You!
Bunnie

Offline BlistersOnMyFingers

• SkinCell God
  • of Multiple Choice
« Reply #6 on: Saturday June 14, 2008, 12:21:35 PM »
Hey Bunnie,

I know very little about AOL, but I see that there is an AOL Toolbar plugin for Internet Explorer you can try: http://toolbar.aol.com/

I have a hunch this will be the closest you can get to the toolbar you love. 

Good luck.
Play The SkinCell Daily Quiz Daily Trivia game.  Post your results HERE.

bunnie

« Reply #7 on: Saturday June 14, 2008, 12:54:32 PM »
Thanks bomf, but I really want to use the exact one that I have if possible, but i will certainly take a look at that as a last resort.  Is there any way I can copy my saved documents on the aol toolbar to Internet explorer? Thank you so much! I do appreciate your help.
Bunnie

• SkinCell God
  • of Multiple Choice
« Reply #8 on: Saturday June 14, 2008, 01:22:54 PM »
Typically no you can't copy a toolbar from one application to another.  Unless you're a programmer that knows how to make a new IE plugin that looks just like it.

As far as copying your documents, I really have no idea.

Sorry. :(

Offline CalamityJane

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Whimsy
  • Dogs speak every language!
« Reply #9 on: Saturday June 14, 2008, 05:16:38 PM »
Thanks bomf, but I really want to use the exact one that I have if possible, but i will certainly take a look at that as a last resort.  Is there any way I can copy my saved documents on the aol toolbar to Internet explorer? Thank you so much! I do appreciate your help.
Bunnie

Hi bunnie, Could you copy your saved documents and paste them into Word, Works, or notepad, or even send them as an attachment in an email to yourself?

That might be total twaddle on my part, but I do have doc'ts that I've taken from a webpage and pasted into Word. I have IE 7.

Jane
It's a good day when you laugh!

Offline Dominius

• Registered member
« Reply #10 on: Saturday June 14, 2008, 07:17:52 PM »
Have you tried having both of your browsers ( AOL and IE) restored and draggin the things you want from the one application to the other. It does work with certain things, may or may not work with this. If i had your problem i would give that a go. Other than that i really dont know im a firefox user and thats all ive used for years.

Good Luck!!

bunnie

« Reply #11 on: Saturday June 14, 2008, 08:33:05 PM »
Thank you so much everyone! There is nothing malfunctioning at all, I just can use Ancestry site much quicker than aol, but then when I want to upload photos from my photo album i have to go back onto aol to do it. It just means maximizing the window of aol browser,and clicking onto ancestry from there, but its such a nuisance. I then have to minimize aol, to maximixe internet explorer. I just hate the layout of the toolbar on internet explorer, I've tried changing the buttons etc, but its still not as easy for me. I am going to try dragging the stuff across as you suggest dominus, at least those files will be on that browser that I'm using constantly, if it works!
Thank you everyone!
Bunnie

• SkinCell God
  • of Multiple Choice
« Reply #12 on: Sunday June 15, 2008, 01:35:18 AM »
Hmmmmm....  Not sure why uploading from IE would be any different than loading from the AOL browser.  Your pictures themselves should still be in the same location on your computer:  usually "C:\Documents and Settings\bunnie\My Documents\My Pictures\" (same as "My Computer -> My Documents -> My Pictures").

Hope this helps.

bunnie

« Reply #13 on: Sunday June 15, 2008, 01:34:11 PM »
I see what you mean Bomf I will try that and let you know!
Bunnie