Author Topic: Non Sequitur  (Read 48194 times)

bunnie

Re: Non Sequitur
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday January 22, 2008, 02:34:12 PM »
Many of our modern expressions and idioms came to us through the pen of Shakespeare himself. Whether he actually invented them or not is not clear, but it’s probably doubtful. However, Bernard Levin (no small writer himself) summarised a good deal of Shakespeare’s achievements when he stated that:....

“If you cannot understand my argument, and declare ‘it’s all Greek to me’, you are quoting Shakespeare.
If you recall your salad days, or act more in sorrow than in anger, you’re quoting Shakespeare.
If you have ever refused to budge an inch, have played fast and loose, have been tongue-tied, a tower of  strength, hoodwinked or in a pickle, then you’re also quoting Shakespeare.
If you’ve ever slept not a wink, stood on ceremony, had short shrift or cold comfort, or even had too much of a good thing, if you’ve seen better days, lived in a fool’s paradise - why, be that as it may, the more fool you, for it is a foregone conclusion that you are (as luck would have it) again quoting Shakespeare.”

bunnie

« Reply #61 on: Friday January 25, 2008, 08:15:35 PM »
A MODERN fAIRY TALE....

Once upon a time in a land far away, a beautiful, independent, self-assured princess happened upon a frog as she sat contemplating ecological issues on the shores of an unpolluted pond in a verdant meadow near her castle.

The frog hopped into the princess' lap and said: "Elegant Lady, I was once a handsome prince, until an evil witch cast a spell upon me. One kiss from you, however, and I will turn back into the dapper, young prince that I am and then, my sweet, we can marry and set up housekeeping in your castle with my mother, where you can prepare my meals, clean my clothes, bear my children, and forever feel grateful and happy doing so."

That night, as the princess dined sumptuously on lightly sautéed frog legs seasoned in a white wine and onion cream sauce, she chuckled and thought to herself: I don't   :-X f%*@ing :-X think so!

Offline Blue Bird

• SkinCell Grand
  • Lyricist
« Reply #62 on: Sunday January 27, 2008, 10:54:13 AM »
"If you want to let your imagination run wild,

dip into a few Bible stories. Why take a trip on acid

when you can read the Bible?"

-- PJ Harvey in Rolling Stone
When we understand that there is no up without a down,no over without an under, no good without a bad, no light without dark, no hot without cold, no yes without a no, we understand wholeness, and we cease to be disturbed, distressed, or perplexed by the illusion of anything less than wholeness.

Offline Blue Bird

• SkinCell Grand
  • Lyricist
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday January 29, 2008, 01:11:15 AM »
   Messenger Bags for the Street
     Ain't No Man Purses Here
When we understand that there is no up without a down,no over without an under, no good without a bad, no light without dark, no hot without cold, no yes without a no, we understand wholeness, and we cease to be disturbed, distressed, or perplexed by the illusion of anything less than wholeness.

Offline M@t

• Administrator
  • Admin Geezer
  • The World's Happiest Uncle
    • Matt's English Adventures Blog
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday January 29, 2008, 06:47:21 AM »
I need a shave today.

I feel like I have coarse grass growing on my face.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
The Doppler Effect - Why bad ideas seem good when they are coming towards you at high speed. Don't rush things!!!

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
  • Administrative Bleeper!
  • Token Nutcase :D
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday January 29, 2008, 07:18:02 PM »
Love is having a purring kitty on your lap. :)
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline Blue Bird

• SkinCell Grand
  • Lyricist
« Reply #66 on: Friday February 01, 2008, 12:02:15 AM »
 Are you smarter than a fifth grader?

bunnie

« Reply #67 on: Friday February 01, 2008, 03:55:53 PM »
« Last Edit: Saturday May 24, 2008, 01:37:54 PM by bunnie »

bunnie

« Reply #68 on: Friday February 01, 2008, 04:25:45 PM »
Cupid once upon a bed of roses, laid his weary head.
Luckless urchin, not to see within the leaves, a slumbering bee!
The bee awaked! .....
With anger wild the bee awaked and stung the child.
Loud and piteous are his cries, to Venus quick, he runs he flies!
"O mother ! I am wounded through, I die with pain ...in sooth I do!
Stung by some little angry thing, some serpent on a tiny wing.
A bee it was! for once I know, I heard a rustic call it so."
Thus he spoke: and she the while, heard him; With a soothing smile
Then said, "My infant! If so much,thou feel the little wild bee's touch,
How must the heart, ah Cupid! be, the hapless heart that's stung by thee!
T.Moore
« Last Edit: Saturday May 24, 2008, 01:37:23 PM by bunnie »

Offline Blue Bird

• SkinCell Grand
  • Lyricist
« Reply #69 on: Friday February 01, 2008, 06:17:45 PM »
What's got four legs and an arm?

A Pitbull in a playground

Offline Blue Bird

• SkinCell Grand
  • Lyricist
« Reply #70 on: Sunday February 03, 2008, 04:25:31 AM »

Don't Taze me, bro.

Offline totalfolly

• Retired Moderator
  • Crazy Cat Hero
  • I yam what I yam
« Reply #71 on: Sunday February 03, 2008, 03:07:03 PM »
A month ago, the art show run by our agency's employee association opened, and the two pieces I entered, while not among the "featured artist" entries, have generated lots of awed comments...and one commission.  I'm always a little surprised when someone likes my work enough to pay for it.  And I'm anxious, too, because I know I can do good work, but, well, what if something goes wrong?  When I'm working for myself, I don't worry about that.  When I'm working for someone else, I want the piece to be as perfect as it can be.

I'm nearing completion on the commission, and it's gone together beautifully so far.

totalfolly
"If you hear a voice within you say 'You cannot paint'
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced."
 -- Vincent vanGogh

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: Sunday February 03, 2008, 05:01:48 PM »
Today for brunch I had 2 bowls of Golden Grahms. Pretty pathetic when you realize I paid $8 for it, but <bleep> it all, that's what I was in the mood for. And those were the best two bowls of Golden Grahms I've ever eaten. :)
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

bunnie

« Reply #73 on: Sunday February 03, 2008, 05:55:24 PM »
Things Mothers Say.

"I told you to go before we left the house"

"If I come over there, there will be trouble"

"Here, let me do it!"

"It's alright, nobody will notice"

"Don't put that in your mouth! You don't know where it's been!"

"After all I have done for you"

"You will thank me one day"

"One day you will learn who your best friend is"

"Who is "she", the cat's mother?"

"Don't give me that look, I invented it!"

" I won't tell you again!"

" If I had spoken to "my" mother like that"

"I'm not as green as cabbage looking"

" You must think I was born yesterday?"

"When I was your age...."

"I don't care who started it.....I'm finishing it!"

"Share and share alike"

"How would you feel if someone did that to you?"

" Come down off there!"

"Will you be quiet? I can't hear myself think"

" I have told you once if not a hundred times"

"Where have you been till this time of night?"

"What's his/her name then?"

"Where do they live?"

"Where did you get that?"

"You are not bringing that in here!"

"You are going whether you like it or not!"

"Don't stand on street corners, chatting to (boys/girls) I would rather you brought them home."

"I hope you are listening?"

"I may as well talk to the wall"

"Will you PLEASE tidy your room?"

" Have you been washed today?"

" You will laugh on the other side of your face if I come over there!"

" You will see the devil in that mirror one of these days"

" What's that on your face?"

" Will you turn that down!"

" Children should be seen and not heard"

"Night Night! God bless darling"

« Last Edit: Sunday February 03, 2008, 05:56:58 PM by bunnie »

Offline Blue Bird

• SkinCell Grand
  • Lyricist
« Reply #74 on: Monday February 04, 2008, 06:15:56 AM »
I hate how much I love you boy
I can't stand how much I need you
And I hate how much I love you boy
But I just can't let you go
And I hate that I love you so.......

Offline Blue Bird

• SkinCell Grand
  • Lyricist
« Reply #75 on: Saturday February 09, 2008, 04:11:20 AM »
 Hey, it's Friday night.
 I call "party night".
                            -Jimmy Kimmel

bunnie

« Reply #76 on: Saturday February 09, 2008, 12:06:26 PM »
I wish to share with you a part of my hobby  which is Deltiology, (the collecting of postcards.)
I only collect artist signed postcards, they are not actually signed by the artist, but they are printed copies of their work which carry their printed signature. I do collect one other type, and this other collection I have is of WW1 French Silks.
The organza material was  hand embroidered by French and Belgian women during the first world 1914-1918 war, for "pin money". A piece of organza material, made into sections, each panel with the design stamped on it, would be hand embroidered by  women in their homes. Someone would call at the houses and collect all the finished pieces, taking them to the factory or wherever to be made into these cards, which were bought and sent home by the soldiers. They are not woven silk cards, that is something quite different. The majority are made into an envelope style, which often still have a little insert in them on which to write a message. Some of these inserts themselves are by famous artists of the time such as Xavier Sager, which can boost the price. Others are just a straight embroidered panel.
These cards are avidly collected by men and women alike, because many of them are of regimental badges or emblems, or other military insignia.  Some of the messages (always written in pencil) couldn't very well carry a bottle of ink around! are heart-rending. It makes one wonder if they survived because it was maybe the last message the wife, mother,  daughter, sister, had from that soldier. Some are remarkably very bright and clean still, but the embroidery on all of them is exceptional. I have about 1000 or more so far. These  below are not mine, but off the web, although this is exactly what mine are like. I leave this link just to save time scanning, and putting some of my own  up .Click on the cards to get a close up pic.
Bunnie
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ww1-propaganda-cards.com/images/silk21h.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ww1-propaganda-cards.com/silks.html&h=375&w=605&sz=51&hl=en&start=6&tbnid=8wuJhHLoPAc1YM:&tbnh=84&tbnw=135&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dww1%2Bfrench%2Bsilk%2Bpostcards%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26ie%3DUTF-8
« Last Edit: Saturday February 09, 2008, 12:09:17 PM by bunnie »

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: Saturday February 09, 2008, 02:01:20 PM »
I totally had two cavities filled yesterday. The dentist said it would be "fun." I told him I would bring the balloons. He didn't believe me until I brought them in.

Y'all have never seen a grown man so happy to get balloons.

He gathered them up and marched around the dentist chair, singing "da da da" in a circus-y tune. He told me that he had been doing the marching and singing thing all week, and so the balloons were perfect. "I don't know why, but I've felt like a circus," he said.

"Hey," I replied, "go with it." His assistant told me that sure enough, he had been doing this all week. I think she was a little embarrissed, for some reason...

It didn't hurt as much as you always hear about, but it did hurt a little, after the novocane wore off. (Not that I'm complaining. My ear kept itching, and it was numbed up, and there's nothing wierder than scratching a numbed-up itching ear.) Apparently they inject the numbing stuff into your cheek, and that's the only thing that really hurt afterward. At the moment it hurts to smile! I've been grinning on one side of my face for about 20 hours now... ;D But I have been grinning. Everyone should bring balloons to their dentist at least once in their lives. ;D

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #78 on: Saturday February 09, 2008, 03:04:24 PM »
Note to self:

Don't eat chips in the bathtub.

Offline M@t

• Administrator
  • Admin Geezer
  • The World's Happiest Uncle
    • Matt's English Adventures Blog
« Reply #79 on: Saturday February 09, 2008, 04:58:36 PM »
I've just seen the most beautiful sunset
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
The Doppler Effect - Why bad ideas seem good when they are coming towards you at high speed. Don't rush things!!!