Author Topic: MSN 'photo' virus - HELP!  (Read 6414 times)

Offline Hobbob

• SkinCell God
MSN 'photo' virus - HELP!
« on: Monday December 17, 2007, 09:40:49 PM »
Ok, so after, oooh, 4hrs, of trying to sort things, i give up. Took me long enough to work out what was up (cheers Matt ;)), & its doing my head in.

Im sure 1 or 2 folk might have got it by now - you get a file sent thru a contact on MSN ("Look at me" "You gotta see this" or summat similar), & when the file's opened, the PC ends up riddled with probs.

Our PC has had this for over a wk - tho iv only just been told (my bloody sister got it thru a friend, & hasnt bothered to tell me  >:(), whats worse is, my sister has over 200 folk on her MSN contacts list..

Iv tried System Restore - it seems to be disarmed by this virus, & i dotn trust any quick fixes i can find thru Google.

I give up  :'(

R
"So i trust it goes without saying that i would feel really very sad, if tomorrow you were to fall off something high or catch something bad"

Offline BlistersOnMyFingers

• SkinCell God
  • of Multiple Choice
Re: MSN 'photo' virus - HELP!
« Reply #1 on: Monday December 17, 2007, 10:18:42 PM »
Do you have any anti-virus, anti-spyware, and firewall software installed?

Better yet, are there any local computer geeks in your neighborhood that you trust?  Depending on how bad the infection is, you 'puter might need some more personal attention.
Play The SkinCell Daily Quiz Daily Trivia game.  Post your results HERE.

Offline Hobbob

• SkinCell God
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday December 18, 2007, 09:12:42 AM »
We've got McAfee security centre, which normally picks things up fine, & we use Spybot, which found loads of stuff yday.

As for computer geeks, my (old) best friend has god knows how many qualifications in computer programming & stuff, but i havent spoken to him in a few yrs - id feel bad gettign in touch just to get him to fix the PC.. My boss fixes/builds PC's in his spare time, taught himself & is damn good. He spent 48hrs straight fixing our old 1, free of charge. Given that 2day is our last day at work tho, i don't wanna be annoying him about computers..

R
"So i trust it goes without saying that i would feel really very sad, if tomorrow you were to fall off something high or catch something bad"

Offline Nick

• SkinCell Friend
  • SkinCell buddy
    • SkinCell
« Reply #3 on: Friday December 21, 2007, 08:17:35 AM »
Hi Hobb,
Have you tried running Trend Micro's downloadable routine?

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Use that in conjunction with HijackThis
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/programs.php

Some trojans disarm certain applications and routines, like system restore, spyware and virus killers etc. If Trend doesn't work then I would suggest using Hijack This to identify everything running on your PC. Identify each item until you find the ones that don't belong.
Make sure you purge all of your temp files too

Offline Hobbob

• SkinCell God
« Reply #4 on: Friday December 21, 2007, 08:22:49 AM »
Cheers Nick, think it might be sorted tho.. If it crops up again, il try those links :)

R

Offline Nick

• SkinCell Friend
  • SkinCell buddy
    • SkinCell
« Reply #5 on: Friday December 21, 2007, 08:38:06 AM »
Fingers crossed for you

Offline M@t

• Administrator
  • Admin Geezer
  • The World's Happiest Uncle
    • Matt's English Adventures Blog
« Reply #6 on: Friday December 21, 2007, 10:05:13 AM »
:cf: here too....  :)

Uncle Christmas
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
The Doppler Effect - Why bad ideas seem good when they are coming towards you at high speed. Don't rush things!!!

Offline Hobbob

• SkinCell God
« Reply #7 on: Friday December 21, 2007, 08:11:16 PM »
it would appear iv stil got the damn thing - a mate just sed id sent it to them (luckily, her virus checks picked up on it & blocked it..)

R