Author Topic: why I'm here  (Read 31405 times)

Offline M@t

• Administrator
  • Admin Geezer
  • The World's Happiest Uncle
    • Matt's English Adventures Blog
Re: why I'm here
« Reply #20 on: Friday December 14, 2007, 06:07:00 PM »
:clap:  It's so nice when everybody is friends! :lol:

Indeed it is :)  :shakehug: all round :)

.."spunk" or "backbone"...

Er, Itchy, over here, these two words have completely different meanings !!!  :-[  :-X ;)

I'm guessing Anthro's phrase equates to "You're a brave person..."

Uncle Christmas
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
The Doppler Effect - Why bad ideas seem good when they are coming towards you at high speed. Don't rush things!!!

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
  • Administrative Bleeper!
  • Token Nutcase :D
« Reply #21 on: Friday December 14, 2007, 06:22:50 PM »

Er, Itchy, over here, these two words have completely different meanings !!!  :-[  :-X ;)

Hm.

"Spunk" means energy, zest. I've had people describe me that way, which I imagine would be quite scandolous across the pond! "Backbone" means you don't let people take advantage of you. I guess there's some courage implied, but mostly he's saying she's NOT passive. Hope that clears things up a bit. ;D

And as to the great Antho-Bunny Smackdown, I unabashedly munch on popcorn whenever it gets going. They're both extremely smart and articulate, and yet they still respect each other. I wish more debates were this... real.
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
  • The best medicine is caring and affection.
    • Eureka Ideas Unlimited, Anthropositor's Posts,   To Obama
« Reply #22 on: Friday December 14, 2007, 06:46:04 PM »
Other opinions to the contrary, words often have several distinct meanings.  That is not even getting into nuances and the use of metaphor.  I use a lot of metaphor.  This can cause confusion, or expose confusion.  But it almost always can also result in greater enlightenment.  I am not a linguist.  I don't speak a single language to my satisfaction.  Although I may know only a few hundred words of a dozen other languages, I am usually able to identify the specific language being used even if I don't know clearly what is being said.

I have long believed that it is good to use language with precision.  But that can be quite a trap.  Who would LIKE to be stuck in lawyer-speak or doctor-speak or professor speak all the time?  Would you pick up and read a novel which was written like a legal contract?  Of course not.

I grew up under the tutelage of a Presbyterian minister who did not have a set of core values.  I was confounded by the contrast between his creed and his life.  One wonders how one can get through all the religious indoctrination of a seminary and only have a set of ceremonial skills, with only emptiness and a certain dramatic flair behind it.  My father was a fine public speaker who really had nothing real to say.  It was all ceremony.

But along with some baggage I have had to discard, he gave me the legacy of music and a certain facility with words.  And he gave me the idea without realizing it, that words without core values are worse than nothing.  The tragic example of his emptiness was a profound revelation to me.  He was not a man to be hated and reviled, but to be understood, pitied, and forgiven his trespasses.

Going back a thousand generations, I honor all my ancestral forebears, saints and scoundrels alike.  And I honor them most for having the moxey (actually the word is probably moxie) to survive at least long enough to breed.

I have a chess student who is becoming quite a masterful chess player.  I have been training him for about five years.  Four if you subtract the times I booted him out of the lineup.  (But that too is an attempt to enlighten him).  He, like my father, has no core.  Of course he is only twenty-three now so he still has some time to mature and grow something real at his center.  I don't see clear signs that it is happenning.  But we don't really learn things in life smoothly in uniform increments.  We lurch forward sometimes with an inspiration or an epiphany. And often we fall back and become forgetful of our lessons.  Those who forget must ultimately repeat the learning.

When I had the stroke I forgot a lot of what I knew about chess.  It was my big clue that there was real damage.  I struggled mightily even while continuing to teach.  You could say that for a while, I taught without a core.  The student I mentioned?  He could sense I was wounded.  But he did not know what he was sensing.  He didn't know I was damaged.  He thought he suddenly got stronger.  He still does not understand how much chess occurs off the board; chess matches are often won or lost before or after the game is over.  But that is another story.  My greatest victories have been on the brink of defeat.  Adversity is the mother of invention.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." Chinese Proverb.

"What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn examine first before you decide"-- Confucius

Pray to the Gods, for the Gods are not unless you pray to them.--Don Marquis

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #23 on: Friday December 14, 2007, 07:07:47 PM »

Uncle Christmas

Ooops... mmm, I think I can guess what the former means.... I'm assuming it's PRON related?.... :o :-X

But yes, brave, gutsy and spirited.

Offline Moeim2

• IsisDivining
« Reply #24 on: Friday December 14, 2007, 07:34:06 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I am enjoying the verbal exchanges here very much.  You all seem to be good at speaking your mind, and that's refreshing!  I do understand the worry about giving out addresses, but for me, I could never avoid phone orders or internet orders...because there is a lot of great stuff out there, and local stores just don't have the things I want.  I would never sell names of my customers to anyone and I'm definitely not a serial killer, so your secrets are safe with me :-X

So, if any of you ever do want a sample, the offer stands.  Otherwise, I am enjoying my visits here and appreciate being allowed to be here.

Blessings,
maureen

Offline totalfolly

• SkinCell Friend
  • Crazy Cat Hero
    • Jo & Co. in Virginia
« Reply #25 on: Friday December 14, 2007, 10:53:20 PM »
I am enjoying the verbal exchanges here very much.

I'm glad.  :)  It does sometimes get lively around here, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

So, if any of you ever do want a sample, the offer stands.

Any members who are interested in Maureen's sample, please contact her via PM.  Maureen, SkinCell will permit one post on this board promoting or offering your product--further postings are considered spam.  If you plan to hang around and get to know us and become an active member, we will probably have no difficulty allowing additional posts, but I think it'll be a bit till then.  Altho I have to say, you're off to an excellent start!  ;D

totalfolly

"If you hear a voice within you say 'You cannot paint'
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced."
 -- Vincent vanGogh

Offline Moeim2

• IsisDivining
« Reply #26 on: Saturday December 15, 2007, 01:47:39 AM »
understood. 

Blessings,
maureen

Offline Blue Bird

• SkinCell Grand
  • Lyricist
« Reply #27 on: Saturday December 15, 2007, 05:19:38 AM »
 I hope that anyone who wants to, will profile Moeim2 and send her an email
to get a free sample.

I grew up under the tutelage of a Presbyterian minister who did not have a set of core values.  I was confounded by the contrast between his creed and his life.  One wonders how one can get through all the religious indoctrination of a seminary and only have a set of ceremonial skills, with only emptiness and a certain dramatic flair behind it.  My father was a fine public speaker who really had nothing real to say.  It was all ceremony.

But along with some baggage I have had to discard, he gave me the legacy of music and a certain facility with words.  And he gave me the idea without realizing it, that words without core values are worse than nothing.  The tragic example of his emptiness was a profound revelation to me.  He was not a man to be hated and reviled, but to be understood, pitied, and forgiven his trespasses.

I have a chess student who is becoming quite a masterful chess player.  I have been training him for about five years.  Four if you subtract the times I booted him out of the lineup.  (But that too is an attempt to enlighten him).  He, like my father, has no core.  Of course he is only twenty-three now so he still has some time to mature and grow something real at his center.  

Anthropositor> Was your father was a Presbyterian Minister?

Your post was a very interesting introspective and it begs me to ask that question.

Also, if your chess student has no core, what does that mean, exactly?
How or why does that affect your tutelage of him, in chess?

I am honestly interested, if you want to, you can answer in mail, or here.  :)

Matt>Uncle Christmas> Is there anyway you could let us know just what all that does mean over in the UK?

Uncle Christmas

I love it when our English language gives us so many different options and so many different meanings of the same word.

So many times when some one uses a word or a phrase, those of us across the sea from each other want to know what that means "over there". It's so much fun.

Now, Matt, what are the embarassing meanings of any of those  words.
Which words have embarrassing meanings? Is it "Moxie", "backbone", or "a spunk"?

Let me guess: There is some sexual meaning, over there, to the word "backbone".
Right or wrong?

Wow, you guys, this was fun reading all of you. 
When we understand that there is no up without a down,no over without an under, no good without a bad, no light without dark, no hot without cold, no yes without a no, we understand wholeness, and we cease to be disturbed, distressed, or perplexed by the illusion of anything less than wholeness.

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #28 on: Saturday December 15, 2007, 07:26:07 AM »
My father was a Presbyterian minister.  I never saw him pray other than in a ceremonial function.

I have higher expectations of my students than just improving skills in a game.  Chess is a martial arts kind of discipline.  A sport.  A Zen experience.  I incorporate many other subjects into the lessons.  I talk fairly frequently while playing, just as I keyboard a lot when I teach on the net. 

Excellence is not so much a matter of accumulating technical tricks and learning the various variations of the most effective chess openings.  It is equally important to have standards of behavior.  Character, finesse, discipline, effort.  But it is ethics, integrity, honor, empathy, grace; that are the foundations of the great chess combatant.  All of the elements of tactics and strategy can make you a strong player, even a champion.  But without these things, the victory is hollow.  The core is missing. 

My currently strongest chess protege will be going a few thousand miles away to teach a chess class of a couple of dozen youngsters.  It is a matter of terrible concern.  He has nothing else to bring to the table.  He will teach chess as a conflict, a brutal sport.  He will convey none of the music and the poetic beauty of it.  He can't.  He doesn't know how.  I don't even think he knows it's there.  His eyes seem to get vacant when I talk of these things.  To him, chess is only a complex of geometries.  Techniques and maneuvers to be mastered and prioritized. Things to be remembered.  Problems to be resolved.

In my mind, the why is more important than the how. 
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." Chinese Proverb.

"What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn examine first before you decide"-- Confucius

Offline M@t

• Administrator
  • Admin Geezer
« Reply #29 on: Saturday December 15, 2007, 07:44:54 AM »

For those that are confused, check out http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/search.htm, although don't blame me for the consequences.
The Doppler Effect - Why bad ideas seem good when they are coming towards you at high speed. Don't rush things!!!

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #30 on: Saturday December 15, 2007, 05:00:04 PM »

For those that are confused, check out http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/search.htm, although don't blame me for the consequences.

Oh dear.  I thought it might be as much.... :-X

Offline Blue Bird

• SkinCell Grand
  • Lyricist
« Reply #31 on: Saturday December 15, 2007, 05:56:46 PM »
  Okay, there MattC> I looked in the slang dictionary online that you posted.
 You gave no clues as to which word made you blush, so I took them all on.
Results: Backbone- nothing
            Moxie- nothing
            Spine- nothing
            Spunk- Semen

Okay, I see now. That made you blush? Holy cow balls.  :laugh:
When we understand that there is no up without a down,no over without an under, no good without a bad, no light without dark, no hot without cold, no yes without a no, we understand wholeness, and we cease to be disturbed, distressed, or perplexed by the illusion of anything less than wholeness.

Offline Moeim2

• IsisDivining
« Reply #32 on: Saturday December 15, 2007, 07:55:30 PM »
thank you for your comment, Santa's Little Blue Helper.

Blessings,
maureen

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #33 on: Saturday December 15, 2007, 07:58:14 PM »
Well now that I am newly enlightened, I am certainly glad I never said, "You have spunk written all over your face."  I am glad to note that I have not previously used the word spunk.  Now it is unlikely that I will use it in the future.

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #34 on: Saturday December 15, 2007, 08:06:41 PM »
Well now that I am newly enlightened, I am certainly glad I never said, "You have spunk written all over your face."

Anthro!   :spank: :roll: :roll: :el:

Offline M@t

• Administrator
  • Admin Geezer
« Reply #35 on: Saturday December 15, 2007, 08:35:26 PM »
That made you blush? Holy cow balls.  :laugh:

Unfortunately, I blush very easily. Luckily, most of the time, it doesn't show on t'internet.

Well now that I am newly enlightened, I am certainly glad I never said, "You have spunk written all over your face." 

:roll: :roll:

However, it should be noted that Brits are aware that spunk does have alternate (and less, shall we say, embarrassing) meanings in the US, and therefore "spunk" (and it's derivatives) has started to be used over here in other contexts.

Uncle Christmas

Offline totalfolly

• SkinCell Friend
  • Crazy Cat Hero
    • Jo & Co. in Virginia
« Reply #36 on: Saturday December 15, 2007, 08:52:17 PM »

I just about rolled out of my chair when I read that!  :roll:

totalfolly

"If you hear a voice within you say 'You cannot paint'
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced."
 -- Vincent vanGogh

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
  • Administrative Bleeper!
  • Token Nutcase :D
« Reply #37 on: Sunday December 16, 2007, 01:24:02 PM »
Oh!!! All over the face? That's something that gets lost in translation! :roll:

That little slang dictionary has come in handy a good bit when it comes to
"Britspeak." ;D Now if I can just remember the British word for German Shepard... it's driving me crazy. My friend Kessler has one named Roman, and I watched him play ping-pong last night and nearly laughed myself out of my chair! he runs arouond the table, barking like mad, and trying to snap the ball out of the air. the only thing that's funnier than that is watching a full-grown, college-educated nuclear engineer pounce on a ping pong ball like a kitten, in a desperate attempt to keep the dog fro getting it. Priceless.

Anthro, your chess mention reminded me of a webcomic I saw quite a while back. I've linked to the page in question. Be forwarned that while the page I've linked to has nothing questionable on it, the comic is, on the whole, rated R. (But it's one of those that kids won't be sneaking onto anyway because they won't understand it.)

http://www.faubcomic.com/d/20050610.html

I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline Moeim2

• IsisDivining
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday December 19, 2007, 04:47:15 AM »
Hello moderators,

How come I type a message in chat and it doesn't show up?  One line did, the rest didn't?  Is there a problem?

thx
maureen

You can delete this question once you answer it.  Just don't know where else to ask it?

bunnie

« Reply #39 on: Wednesday December 19, 2007, 11:11:09 AM »
You could just send a mod a pm moeim?