Author Topic: Peripheral problem or iPod??  (Read 6983 times)

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
Peripheral problem or iPod??
« on: Wednesday November 14, 2007, 12:44:56 AM »
Hey you tech savvies... here's a question for you.

Yesterday I upgraded my iTunes to the newest version, and now, my PC won't recognized my iPod nor David's little Shuffle.

As soon as I plugged mine in, it seemed to freeze iTunes completely.  David's didn't, but nor did it seem to register.

I eventually got it to "work" by restarting the computer and opening iTunes WITH the iPod already plugged in.  It took ages longer to register that it was there than it typically does, but at least it worked.  Tonight it doesn't seem to work at all.

The thing is, Tim has also had problems getting the computer to read his memory stick (is that the right word for that little stick-like thingy that you plug into the front of the PC?)

So... is it a problem with iTunes, my iPod (and David's, which seems unlikely), or with the computer itself?  AND, what can I do?

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
Re: Peripheral problem or iPod??
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday November 14, 2007, 12:46:15 AM »
ps.  In case any of you were wondering, I only know that those plug in things are called peripherals cause that's what my hubby called them! ::) :lol:

Offline BlistersOnMyFingers

• SkinCell God
  • of Multiple Choice
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday November 14, 2007, 11:19:54 AM »
Not sure how much I canl help as I don't  use iTunes and don't own an iPod (different mp3 player for me). 

But I'll try. :)

Couple questions:

Mac, Windows or other?

If Windows, what version and how old is the PC?
Play The SkinCell Daily Quiz Daily Trivia game.  Post your results HERE.

Offline Rich85

• Registered member
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday November 14, 2007, 12:42:35 PM »
The fact that it's having difficulty reading your memory stick suggests that the problem lies with your USB driver. Upgrading to the new version of iTunes probably messed with it - try re-installing your USB driver by following this guide: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305136

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday November 14, 2007, 08:03:39 PM »
Thanks, Rich, I'm going to try that (tonight, after the kids go to bed so they won't hear me cursing ::))

BOMF, it's Windows XP, and hmm, I think the computer itself is about 2-3 years old?
Ooops, I just checked and it says it's "version 2002" (so I don't know, does that mean that it was made in 2002?  I don't think we've had it 5 years....)

Offline BlistersOnMyFingers

• SkinCell God
  • of Multiple Choice
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday November 14, 2007, 08:28:29 PM »
Just making sure it's recent enough that it should support USB 2.0 without any problems. 

Sounds like Rich is much more well versed on this issue than I am.  Hope that fixes it.
Play The SkinCell Daily Quiz Daily Trivia game.  Post your results HERE.

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: Thursday November 15, 2007, 01:37:14 AM »
That didn't seem to work... it couldn't find a version of the USB thing to upgrade to (I guess that means that the one on there is up to date.)

Any other ideas?

Offline Bri9801

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Barman
  • The Thin Blue Line
« Reply #7 on: Friday December 07, 2007, 06:33:25 PM »
You upgraded your Itunes but have you upgrade the software on your IPod, that may be causing some kind of problem if you have a newer version of Itunes but older software on your IPod........

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: Friday December 07, 2007, 07:17:10 PM »
Good question, Bri... I thought that the software was updated automatically to whatever version is in the hard drive - that that happens when you plug the thing in, but perhaps not?

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: Monday May 12, 2008, 01:36:07 AM »
Well, I accidentally discovered how to get around the problem, if not to actually solve it.  I took the ipod into Apple, and it was absolutely fine.  They told me to restore it to factory settings and try again from scratch.  I couldn't do it - the computer would still not recognize the device.

So..... I unplugged the computer and took it into a local electronics shop.  All the usb drivers (?) seemed to be working fine, so back i  brought it and tried again.  This time, with ONLY the ipod plugged in (and the mouse), it worked with no issue.  I tried it in several of the plugs, and they all worked.  As soon as I plugged the printer and whatall back in, it reverted back to it's old tricks - not recognizing the device at all.

Sooo.  It seems as if my poor old computer, unlike me, cannot multitask!

Has anybody else had this experience?

Offline Nick

• SkinCell Friend
  • SkinCell buddy
    • SkinCell
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday May 13, 2008, 09:38:33 PM »
It sounds like Windows failing to multi task rather than your PC.
As a thought, using Linux (the latest version of Ubuntu is s'posed to be good) may help resolve the situation.

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday May 14, 2008, 02:04:30 AM »
Interesting, Nick.  I'll run that one by my domestic tech god. ;)  Thanks!

Offline Dominius

• Registered member
« Reply #12 on: Saturday June 14, 2008, 08:31:21 AM »
Glad to head things are sorted, just on thing how old is your PC. One thing that sprung to mind was the power supply, might not have enough power to have all usb slots filled... just a theory. Either way its nothing serious though  ;D