Author Topic: Understanding Medical Terminology  (Read 70345 times)

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
  • The best medicine is caring and affection.
    • Eureka Ideas Unlimited, Anthropositor's Posts,   To Obama
Re: Understanding Medical Terminology
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday October 06, 2020, 03:01:07 AM »
It is easy for hysteria to encroach.  Our only working bathroom has been leaking a lot from the ceiling light in front of the shower door, at the same time the floor is ready to cave in below.  This was all just a nagging worry until a couple weeks ago, when about eight feet of the ceiling just crashed to the floor as well, but didn't collapse the floor in the process. 

When we first moved in thirteen years ago, the only real problem with that side of the bathroom was that the toilet was missing.  That was pretty serious.  Though my Honey had gone through a pretty rough and ready childhood, what with the polio and rheumatic fever, which set her back a few critical years, it was my absolute responsibility to get a toilet for that hole in the floor, virtually immediately.  I was in the process of recruiting a motley crew of roustabouts who would do the bulk of the most needed flooring repairs in seven rooms.  The front door was broken out from its' framing held into place by a single really robust top hinge.  We fashioned a hasp and padlock so that we could secure it enough to be able leave the place with the illusion of security.

The arrangement with the crew, in a sense, worked out reasonably well.  I would feed them well, and supply them with liquid refreshments by the keg, and Mason jars of White Lightning, diluted with gallons of Hawaiian Punch, along with herbs and spices enough to keep everyone's spirits mellow and congenial.  I also fed them better than any Army mess Sergeant. 

But when the money ran out, the job was only about half complete.  While the precision left something to be desired, no one got seriously hurt, and we could live in the place, in Spartan fashion.  I have continued to cobble together electrical needs, empirically, as required, but have every intention of putting in a new breaker box in the next year or two.  While the furnace was unrepairable, our winters are made more temperate, by putting two-liter bottles heated in used microwaves under our coats and in our bed at night.  It is not as if this is Alaska.  It rarely gets down to 10 degrees above zero here.  When a microwave burns out, I tear the door off and it becomes a little winter cave for the passel of cats, who are my Honeys' surrogate children, replacing her two daughters, whose absence she notices on occasion.

As for the toilet, I found one that first year that had some cracks in the reservoir, for nothing.  When I put it in, my Honey could sit instead of squat.  But it did require flushing with a bucket, which we have done for all these years.

Most recently, coming back to the present, I have found a workman, who does the effective work of any three of those earlier roustabouts.  I watched him build a one room shack which turned into a four room house over a period of two months.  He originates from Mexico, his wife from El Salvador.  Their jungle is about the same size as ours, but lower and with a creek which in the heavy rains, readily becomes rushing rapids. 

I was initially pretty concerned.  These surroundings are totally red-necked and Confederate.  Worrisome, to say the least.  Anyway, amigos are where you find them.  Early on, when they were still in one developing room and having to do their duty in the bushes, I took them a couple of grilled steaks, baked potatoes and some raw Shmooo, and three pounds of Hazelnut coffee.  A sort of "Welcome to the neighborhood!"

That was a few months ago.  Now they are both working.  Time is at a premium.  Winter is going to happen too soon, for all of us.  I wouldn't let him work for me until their casa was livable.  I was rather adamant about that.  In the few days he worked for us, he rebuilt our porch ramp, replaced the floor in front of the shower, and installed a brand new flushing toilet to boot.  Oh yeah, he also moved the burnt out hulk of the Cadillac 40 feet closer to our ravine, improving our parking situation considerably.

While we have a tough winter almost upon us, it is no where near as tough as it might have been.  Life is good. 
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." Chinese Proverb.

"What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn examine first before you decide"-- Confucius

Pray to the Gods, for the Gods are not unless you pray to them.--Don Marquis

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
  • The best medicine is caring and affection.
    • Eureka Ideas Unlimited, Anthropositor's Posts,   To Obama
Re: Understanding Medical Terminology
« Reply #41 on: Today at 03:36:24 AM »
Unfortunately, the ceiling in the sole working bathroom, which had been leaking rather seriously between the shower and our brand new, water-saving toilet, fell in.  But the roof has new metal panels where it had been leaking, so it should be good for the winter, particularly if I can stuff more fresh insulation like fiber glass into the chasm, and closing it up with some ceiling drywall panels; something I can kluge together without help.  I am also pretty sure that the kitchen floor will hold up until spring.

The truth is, finishing up on the rebuild of the other rooms, may take several more months in the spring and summer.  All I need to do in the meantime is keep various opportunistic critters from setting up campgrounds in the lower cupboards.  Nothing we can't handle, in other words.

I am more concerned by the signs of hysteria I am seeing around town more and more, as time goes on.  Keeping a level head during these challenging times may sometimes be daunting, but freaking out will not make anything better.  One thing will, though.  VOTE with all the intelligence you can muster.   
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." Chinese Proverb.

"What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn examine first before you decide"-- Confucius

Pray to the Gods, for the Gods are not unless you pray to them.--Don Marquis