Author Topic: Baby Jade  (Read 3092 times)

Offline skipnall

• Registered member
    • Skip Nall Photography
Baby Jade
« on: Sunday September 16, 2007, 12:29:29 AM »
Hi,

I or we are new here.  We have a beautiful 6 month old baby girl (Jade) who is really having a hard time with Infant Eczema.  It started out about a month ago and now it seems we are going through the cycle I have read about from other members here.  She seems to get almost over it and then WHAM!  A round that seems worse than the first.

We live in the Philippines and have been seeing both her Pediatrician and a Dermatologist.  Jade is being treated with Physiogel Cleanser (for bathing and shampoo), Physiogel A1 as a lotion, Advantan Ointment, Celestamine Syrup and Zyrtec drops.

We wash her clothes in soap recommended by the doctors, are keeping her away from the dog...and in fact the grand parents are taking the dog today.  We have changed her formula to a non dairy.

From what I have read here there isn't a lot that can be done but keep up what we are doing but if anyone has any thoughts or advice at all we would appreciate it.

One other thing I found here is some interesting reading about GLA fats and their benifits.  Has anyone had luck with this?

We are going to the states next week and hope to get into to see a Pediatric Dermatologist in Atlanta.

Thanks and my thoughts and prayers go out to all of you on this board whatever the condition or family member,

Skip Nall

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
Re: Baby Jade
« Reply #1 on: Monday September 17, 2007, 05:23:53 AM »
Hi Skip,

Firstly, I'm terribly sorry to hear your little one is suffering so.  It's hard enough as an adult to deal witht the horrible itch of eczema.

I'm trying to remember a post made by a member who's child had severe eczema, who posted some very solid guidelines for care.  I will try to find it for you.

As far as the GLA goes, I have had moderate success with increasing my overall intake of all the essential fatty acids, not just the GLA (I have tried many combinations of GLA, ALA, DHA... and have not found that GLA has been more helpful than the others). From a dietary perspective, this would mean supplementation with borage and/or evening primrose oil (for GLA), flax oil (ALA - an important omega 3), salmon oil (for DHA), and moreover, some of our psoriasis people have had success with cod liver oil, which is a source for vitamin D as well as DHA. 

The thing with these essential fatty acids is that they are unstable and break down as free radicals quite quickly, so ensuring that you are getting adequate antioxidants is important.  The oils also must be kept cold and away from light and heat.  There is a lot of information about them, so if you are thinking about trying them for your baby, inform yourself as much as possible.  Given Jade's age, you want to be very sure that there is nothing potentially harmful with the supplementation if you decide to proceed!

As far as other, more immediate steps to take, I would suggest very basic things;

Firstly, is it absolutely necessary to use any soap on Jade's skin?  It is possible that even the preparation you are using could be irritating - try bathing her with plain water and see if that makes a difference.

Secondly, frequent baths are helpful in reducing itch.  Ensure that you slather her with a good moisturizer when she is still damp from the water.  From my own experience, many "mild" moisturizers can sting when the skin is broken and irritated.  When I am in this state, I use only plain coconut oil which is wonderfully soothing, but I find it is not very occlusive and needs to be reapplied frequently. I'm sure any plain vegetable oil would be just as gentle, but coconut oil has a lovely consistency when applied.  I know several members here feel strongly that Vaseline is not a good idea, but I know many dermatologists who recommend sealing in moisture with it (sometimes the heaviness of that make me itchier!)

Finally, for me, sunlight and sea water help enormously - I don't know if you have access to that there, but going to the beach is a miracle "cure" (albeit temporarily) for me.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Offline skipnall

• Registered member
    • Skip Nall Photography
Re: Baby Jade
« Reply #2 on: Monday September 17, 2007, 05:49:00 AM »
HI,

First of all thanks to everyone that has replied with both kind words and suggestions.

I am not sure about the supplements because of her age.  I am afraid of doing more harm than good.

We are narrowing down a few things maybe.  The last bad outbreak was last week within 24 hours of her bath.  So we are suspect of the amount of chlorine in the water.  Looking back this all started when we moved here 2 months ago.  Prior to that we were living  5 hours north of here and our water supply was from a well, just good old fashioned water.

We now have a soap from the dermatolgist we can use without water.  Several days now with no water and she is looking and feeling much better so we will see.

A few weeks from now we will be in Florida and will be able to take her to the beach!  Here we are several hours from the ocean so it's not as easy here.

Thanks again and we will keep you posted,

Skip Nall