Author Topic: seborrheic dermatitis and Mosturisers  (Read 3544 times)

Offline verybadskin

• Registered member
seborrheic dermatitis and Mosturisers
« on: Sunday August 26, 2007, 05:07:46 PM »
Hi to all

I have been  suffering from seb. derm for the last 13 years and know how frustrating it is.  i have tried a number of treatments with little success, My skin is not much red but tends to peel  a lot.  I am currently on Dakracort ointment  but I don't like it as my skin is very oily and when I put it on , it makes my face more shiny and so i tend to avoid it.    My experience is that GPs do not understand the condition and what it can do to you emotionally.  What I find amazing is that they are still using treatment devised in the 1970s, and no new treatment coming on line.  It is felt that we are left to suffer with no moral support.

My great frustration with the condition is two fold.  Firstly the lack of over the counter products available in the UK. I understand from my friends in The USA that they have more products such as Cetaphil (yet theere is good news as the company is launching  a website where you can buy their products in the UK) and something called ZNP Bar which many have had success.  It seems to me that what is good for Americans is denied to the British, it seem national discrimination is happening.

My second frustration is that people see see eczema as a dry skin condition-this is not always so- People with seb derm tend to have oily skin and as a result you skin looks wet but still peels.  It seems that manufacturers if creams have not taken this on board, as they have not developed a cream that reduces the flakiness but at the same time reduces the sebum production.  You think somebody would have developed  a cream for such.

If you have oily skin on your face do not use fish oil capsules as they tend to make you skin more oilier, so avoid them. I am taking MSM supplement which seems to make my skin more softer, but does not cure the condition.  i am looking at the moment for natural herbs or supplementation that can reduce skin oiliness. will report later.

Tell me what you think

Offline littlelady

Re: seborrheic dermatitis and Mosturisers
« Reply #1 on: Monday August 27, 2007, 01:28:22 AM »
Hello
I don't know anything about seb. dermatitis but I know how frustrating it can be and I'm sorry your having such a hard time I feel what your going through because I'm going through a bad time right now myself I can't find out what is triggering my atopic dermatitis and nothing helps much with the very bad itch. I found relieve with steriod ointment which you can only use so much and I have found some relief with epsom salt but it is really frustrating when you can't get your skin to clear up especially in the summer time. Anyway I'm sorry that I couldn't help with your problem I'm sure there is someone on here that can help you or at least lead you in the right direction. Good luck I hope your skin clears up.