Author Topic: Trip Probably Postponed  (Read 6079 times)

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
  • Administrative Bleeper!
  • Token Nutcase :D
Trip Probably Postponed
« on: Tuesday August 21, 2007, 02:11:06 PM »
I've told Matt and Andy, and I suppose now it's time to tell the rest of y'all. Chances are good that my trip to England will be postponed for a year.

You see, not only do I need a degree in order to teach, but I also need a license. I have a temporary one, but it cannot be extended past three years, and it's a year old already.

There are two ways to get a perminant license. The first plan was to continue teaching. After I got my Master's degree, all I would need is to teach for a year, and then my employer would send in a letter saying I did a decent job and deserved a liscense. This is really what I had intended to do, considering that I had a job (last year). In order to complete option #1, I have to take a practicum this fall... bascially, a professor will come in, watch me teach, and grade me accordingly. So *thats* what "Advanced Applications" is! Would have been <bleep>ed nice if they had put that in the handbook. >:( >:( I finally found this out about a month ago. >:( All my advisor told me was that this was "the clas you take if you don't do student teaching." Come to think of it, it woudl have been <bleep>ed nice if he had answered my question fully. But aside from my advisor problems, there is a bigger problem here: I don't have a job teaching anything.

The other way is to work an internship, called "student teaching." This is the most common method of getting a liscense. I really wanted to do this, but... I'm trying hard not to blame myself! The moral of the story is: NEVER trust your advisor. He/she does NOT know what he/she is doing. I knew this in undergrad, but the same applies for grad school. Bascially, I didn't get the classes I needed to do a student teaching. And I can't get those classes until this spring, because nobody teaches them in the fall.

* For the first time in a long time, Bamawing bites a pillow out of sheer frustration. This blast from the past brought to you by Bama's down pillow and the Goddess of the Fluffy Dawn.

So here are my options:

1. Do my best to beg, borrow or steal a job working with children, fulfilling my requirement for the Advanced Applications class. This would allow me to graduate on time. Then I have one more school year until my temporary lisence expires, which means I MUST MUST MUST get a full-time job working somewhere, anywhere. After that year, my employer can apply for my perminant liscense.

2. Postpone my graduation for a semester, take only two classes this fall, take all the needed prerequsites in the spring, and student teach next fall, graduating around Christmas. This would mean that my college school would get me a perminant lisence, and I could then job-hunt with a lisence in hand.

The biggest problem with the second plan is I'll have to postpone my trip to see y'all in England.

The biggest problem with the first plan is there are a lot of factors in there that I can't control. I mean, I have no guarentee of getting a job working with children this fall. I'll probably be able to tutor, but I don't know that a once-a-week one-on-one session is really going to count as far as this class goes. Worse yet, if I don't get a job teaching the school year after I graduate, I'm fubarred. (Fubar? F-U-B-A-R: <bleep>ed Up Beyond All Recognition.) I won't be able to extend my temporary liscense, and I won't be able to teach (therefore getting my perminant lisecense) without one.

It's hurting, y'all, it's hurting a lot. But I really think I had best postpone the trip for a while so I can make sure my career isn't totally flushed down the potty.

I'm trying to look on the bright side. This way, I get a whole 'nother year of looking forward to the trip. 12 more months of planning and dreaming and scheiming. Please, don't break any plans you've made... just push them back 12 months. I'm still comming. It'll just take me longer.

(There's also an outside chance that one of the school systems I've applied for a job at will hire me this week and guarentee me a full-time job if I graduate this May. I'm not counting on it, since schools start week after this, but hey, if you wanna hope... :) )

« Last Edit: Tuesday August 21, 2007, 02:23:48 PM by Bamawing »
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline GuzziHeroV50

• SkinCell Hero
  • Gas Guzzler
Re: Trip Probably Postponed
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday August 21, 2007, 05:34:05 PM »
:hugs: You do whats best for your future Bama :)  We'll all miss you but we'll take plenty of pics so you dont feel so left out :)

Offline totalfolly

• Retired Moderator
  • Crazy Cat Hero
  • I yam what I yam
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday August 21, 2007, 06:44:48 PM »
Aw, Bama!  :hugs:  I know you were looking forward to it.  At least it's just a postponement.  :hugs:

totalfolly
"If you hear a voice within you say 'You cannot paint'
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced."
 -- Vincent vanGogh

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
  • Administrative Bleeper!
  • Token Nutcase :D
« Reply #3 on: Thursday August 23, 2007, 06:26:07 PM »
I just had a thought...

Andy, do the trains run in the wintertime? If I graduate in December, and still don't have a job, why not just go in January? Dan's used to snow, I'm so excited I won't care, and I bet rates'll be cheaper. What do y'all think?
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline LIGA girl

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Cicadas
  • Me Simpsonized!
« Reply #4 on: Thursday August 23, 2007, 09:03:15 PM »
It's a pity  you have to postpome the trip Bama but you will still get there and have a great time   :D