Author Topic: Best Soap?  (Read 19408 times)

Offline steve_evans

• Registered member
Best Soap?
« on: Monday July 23, 2007, 06:24:14 PM »
I get bad eczma myself and find it hard to find a good soap that doesnt irritate my skin when i get flare ups. I have found one very good natural soap online though at www.knotz-handmadesoap.co.uk the organic soap Lemongrass. What do other people recommend? If anyone else is having issues with soap i cant recommend this site enough.

Offline j28

• Registered member
Re: Best Soap?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday October 24, 2007, 01:25:46 AM »
There are two soaps that I have tried Dove and Tom's natural soap
toms soap doesn't irritate my skin it is all natural.

Offline rachel1

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday October 24, 2007, 09:11:30 AM »
we use olive oil soap from the continental market. i think you can get it online aswell. it dosent sting the eczema areas but it cleans well. i can even use it on laurens legs.

alternativley your gp can give you a prescription for olive oil soap but its not as good from the chemist.

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
  • The best medicine is caring and affection.
    • Eureka Ideas Unlimited, Anthropositor's Posts,   To Obama
« Reply #3 on: Friday November 23, 2007, 07:12:27 PM »
Truly a puzzle that an olive oil soap would require a prescription.

I use a Baby Bath Soap which does not contain sodium or ammonium laurel or laureth sulfates.  These chemicals are very, very widespread in soaps and shampoos, even very, very expensive ones. 

The Baby Bath liquid I use is slightly more than $1 per 15 oz bottle.  It is the only soap I use on my skin or my hair.  Even if you were to buy the name brand, it would only be
2 1/2 times as much.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." Chinese Proverb.

"What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn examine first before you decide"-- Confucius

Pray to the Gods, for the Gods are not unless you pray to them.--Don Marquis

Offline Moeim2

• IsisDivining
« Reply #4 on: Saturday December 15, 2007, 02:29:49 AM »
Have any of you tried Goatsmilk Soap?  That's supposed to be gentle, even for babies.  I've used it myself, and the "slip" of it is very nice.  Very moisturizing.  I've used liquid castile soap too, as a shampoo and a soap but doesn't have the nice "slip' to it.  I'm sure it's gentle, but I like the moisturizing feel on my skin from goat's milk.  could never bring myself to drink it... tho'.  Yuck.

blessings,
maureen

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #5 on: Saturday December 15, 2007, 08:12:28 AM »
You could never bring yourself to drink goats milk and have just concluded that it has to be Yuck?  That's puzzling Maureen.

What do you think about the idea of rubbing down with yogurt from head to foot and then just rinsing with clear water in the shower?  I do it once every few months.  Leaves the skin feeling pretty good as far as I'm concerned.  Bought by the quart, it might cost twenty cents a shower with plenty left to feed the family... unless yogurt is yucky.  Do you eat yogurt? 

There is a thread in Nutrition about yogurt, kefir and kombucha.  There is some stuff over there about fermentation too.  I just finished fermenting a jug of blueberry pomegranate apple raspberry wine.  It is quite effervescent and sweet.  It will be dryer when the bubbles disappear.  It'll be gone before then though.  I only made a couple of liters.  This stuff is not made to drink out of a cordial glass, but out of a flagon.

This is the first wine I have made in a number of months.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." Chinese Proverb.

"What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn examine first before you decide"-- Confucius

Offline M@t

• Administrator
  • Admin Geezer
  • The World's Happiest Uncle
    • Matt's English Adventures Blog
« Reply #6 on: Saturday December 15, 2007, 09:04:49 AM »
I just finished fermenting a jug of blueberry pomegranate apple raspberry wine.

Sounds delicious, Mr. Positor!

Uncle Christmas.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
The Doppler Effect - Why bad ideas seem good when they are coming towards you at high speed. Don't rush things!!!

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
  • Administrative Bleeper!
  • Token Nutcase :D
« Reply #7 on: Saturday December 15, 2007, 03:04:42 PM »
Yogurt, huh? I've rubbed it on my skin more than once when the yeast gets going. For that same reason, I don't use the antibacterial stuff my hubby likes on yeast-prone parts. I use pHysoderm instead... :( Which is becoming a moral delimma. It works wonders for my skin... something in it really clicks with my particular makeup. But the only place I can get it now is Wal-Mart...  :-\ ...when I use up my drugstore-bought supply.

<bleeping> Wal-mart. :(
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: Saturday December 15, 2007, 05:10:55 PM »
bleeping-Wal-Mart is right...

Anthro.  As one who had to drink goat milk as a young child (we were visiting my mother's parents in rural Greece for 3 months... no cows to be seen.) Boiled and cooled with the requisite skin on the top, I can add an unqualified "yuck" to Maureen's.  On the other hand, I do love goat's cheese, (indeed all cheeses... cow and sheep too.  Never tried yak's milk cheese, but I hear it's rather strong smelling.) Yogurt too.  Even goat's yogurt is slightly more appealing than the milk for some reason.

As for rubbing it on your body, I think that's a great idea.  I've made myself little facial "masks" with yogurt, and it's wonderfully refreshing and softening.  You pay a lot more for creams and lotions with lactic acid in them, so why not go right to the source?  Hmm.  I might even do that today.

Your wine sounds delicious!

Offline Moeim2

• IsisDivining
« Reply #9 on: Saturday December 15, 2007, 11:01:41 PM »
I could deal with a yogurt bath..ahem.  I just can't imagine drinking goat's milk.  too different to me.  I'm sure if I was raised on it, I'd feel differently.  But then, I'm not a fan of milk, period.  Except when eating very gooey chocolate cookies :praise: of course!  As for goat's milk cheese... feta comes from that, doesn't it?  Not a popular choice for me, either.  Of course, passing by a dairy, smelling COW... makes me never want to touch dairy again!  But, love cow cheese too much so probably use selective memory when engaging in my cheese gorging!  Man, I love cheese...

Blessings,
maureen

Offline Moeim2

• IsisDivining
« Reply #10 on: Sunday December 16, 2007, 03:37:07 AM »
Yeah, I eat yogurt...but only vanilla.  Can't stand the fruity stuff.  I'm picky about which brands I like.  I could see wasting a quart or so of a brand I don't like for a bath tho'...would probably be great for my skin.

The Kefir sounds interesting... as for wine,  just dry reds for me.  Don't like sweet liquor.  Like EJ Brandy a little too much tho'.  Gotta ration that stuff... Sippy sippy and before I know it...  oops!

I have a great imagination when it comes to drinking or eating things I don't like.  I can just imagine what it tastes like and that's enough for me. 

blessings,
maureen

Offline Blue Bird

• SkinCell Grand
  • Lyricist
« Reply #11 on: Monday December 17, 2007, 06:40:12 AM »
Steve Evans- You mentioned lemongrass soap. I just bought some today, the ingredients are all pure and  natural. A large bar, it smells really good. If you have a TJ Maxx or a Marshalls store, they sell expensive designer items at cut rate prices. Anyway, they have a lot of natural soaps in expensive looking boxes, reduced by the store. Great soaps, all natural. I went on a soap buying spree today. I am also giving these to my daughters for Christmas gifts , too.

Have any of you tried Goatsmilk Soap?  That's supposed to be gentle, even for babies. 

Moeim2> Hey, I just bought a large bar of Goatsmilk soap, today, after reading your
recommendation. I love it. The name of the brand is ,Asquith & Somerset of England.
Asquith & Somerset fine fragranced Goatsmilk soap will moisturize, protect and nourish 
your skin. They use only vegetable ingredients in this soap. It smells beautiful.
Thanks for the suggestion, Moeim.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I also bought some Natural Aromatherapy Olive Oil bath soaps
The name is "Olivia Care." I bought three boxes. All different fragrances. Each of the three rather beautiful box has four large bars of soap in it.

The Story of this Soap: The year was 1805. Emperor Napoleon directed appointed Chemist Eugene Michel to create a special soap for his beloved wife, the Empress Josephine. The result of Eugenes genius is the worldwide famous "Savon de Marseille" the original soap from Marseille, France.

This unique formula, jealously guarded by generations of soap masters, comes to you in a special blend of natural frangrances from the famouse Provence region of France,. This sioap is made from pure olive oil. Some people call it a miracle cure. Rich in Calcium and Vitamin E, it has been used since time immemorial as a beauty secret for the face and body.  It is all natural and hypo allergenic, no coloring.

I got three boxes of Olive oil soap in 1.) Green Tea
                                                  2.) Mandarin
                                            and 3.) French Lavender.

I also bought a big  almond moisturizing body bar with natural ingredients in it. It smells so wonderful, and the name on it is CST. ( Strange name)

I also bought a big bar of Verbena luxurious Cream Bar soap 100% vegetable based. It smells clean and heavenly

A few days ago I went to the drug store and bought a bar of Palmers Cocoa Butter formula Soap with Vitamin E. I have been using this for a few days and it really does leave my skin smooth, clear and radiant. The advertising is true on this one.

It is supposed to diminish marks and blemishes as it says on the box. I don't have any blemishes on my face, I think I have a few marks here and there,  I already knew about the healing affects of cocoa butter, but this soap makes my face feel so good.
The Palmers Cocoa Butter soap is the only soap I bought that has an odd scent to it, you know, the scent of cocoa butter..... ;D Not the best for scent.  ;D
But it gives good results....

All of the other soaps smell so wonderful, clean and amazing, though. The sales lady actually sniffed the bag after I bought it and said, "Oh, that bag of "expensive soaps" smells so good". Yes it does.

I hope this helped someone else out there, go on a soap buying spree, at one of the stores in your area that sells good soaps, read the labels and search for stores that  discount higher end products. If you don't know, ask any shopping savvy female that you know and love. She'll know where to get them in your area.

I can't wait to shower or bathe and start using all these different soaps. 

When we understand that there is no up without a down,no over without an under, no good without a bad, no light without dark, no hot without cold, no yes without a no, we understand wholeness, and we cease to be disturbed, distressed, or perplexed by the illusion of anything less than wholeness.

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #12 on: Monday December 17, 2007, 11:41:11 AM »
The way I read the goat's milk thing was as a question, not a recommendation.

Offline Moeim2

• IsisDivining
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday December 18, 2007, 01:50:34 AM »
Hi Anthropositor,

It was a question and something I've used and liked, as well.  I'm glad to put it out there.  The one I use doesn't have any fragrance tho', but I'm sure the fragranced ones smell great too.

I love natural soaps, but I don't buy glycerin ones, because they're too easy to make.  It's the cold process ones that I love to use.  The process is very complex and dangerous with the Lye that is used which makes them more special to me.  Melt and pour soaps are just too basic.  Anyone can make those.  I would never attempt to make the "real" cold process soap... very challenging.  That's why I appreciate the end result so much.

I'm glad some of you are experimenting with natural soaps.  They are wonderful!  Funny thing is, a lot of people think Ivory Soap is gentle, but yet it is in the list of top ten soaps that can irritate the skin the most, per Dermatologists.  I won't use it, but my parents have always used it and still do with no problems. 

Blessings,
maureen

Offline Blue Bird

• SkinCell Grand
  • Lyricist
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday December 18, 2007, 02:23:55 AM »
Anthropositor> Your reading skills seem to be  lacking. I get the impression that you don't
read and comprehend, you skim and misunderstand. I , frankly am shocked that you burst out and said :
The way I read the goat's milk thing was as a question, not a recommendation.

You obviously didn't realize that I abbreviated her quote, for what it's worth.
 HOLY COW BALLS< you were wrong. It obviously was a recommendation  ::)

Because you didn't understand it, here is the lady's quote, in full.

Have any of you tried Goatsmilk Soap?  That's supposed to be gentle, even for babies.  I've used it myself, and the "slip" of it is very nice.  Very moisturizing.  I've used liquid castile soap too, as a shampoo and a soap but doesn't have the nice "slip' to it.  I'm sure it's gentle, but I like the moisturizing feel on my skin from goat's milk.  could never bring myself to drink it... tho'.  Yuck.

blessings,
maureen

GEEZ- I can't believe I had to defend some new person's information on here.

Let's read for content, there, Anthro, before you hit the post button, okay? Thanks
Apologies accepted. You could have commented on the extensive soaps I wrote about, but instead you wrongly accused Moeim2 of not recommending something she was recommending.
What was that all about?
When we understand that there is no up without a down,no over without an under, no good without a bad, no light without dark, no hot without cold, no yes without a no, we understand wholeness, and we cease to be disturbed, distressed, or perplexed by the illusion of anything less than wholeness.

Offline Moeim2

• IsisDivining
yummy soap!
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday December 18, 2007, 05:05:48 AM »
Olive based soaps are wonderful too.  I love soap!  Probably my family and friends should feel blessed that I use them all the time! :laugh:

I use liquid soap too, but not a big fan of synthetic fragrances, so stick primarily to botanical scented cold process soap.  Natural scents from essential oils, primarily.  herbs too!  but I have to admit, that I love the Sensual Amber bath line offered by The Bath and Body Shop a franchise here in the US.  Totally fake, but smells so good!

enjoy your soap shopping.  there are so many fantastic choices out there. 

blessings,
maureen

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday December 18, 2007, 05:22:05 PM »
It is true that I responded to the excerpt, not the entire post.  I responded to it as if it was a reflection of the entire post.  I did so because on those rare occasions when I post an excerpt myself, it represents in microcosm pretty accurately, but in briefer form, the larger post.

I am a careful reader.  I am much less likely to "skim" than I am simply to refrain from finishing in its' entirety a post which to me seems to me more and more of -- limited practical value -- which seems only to be faux enthusiasm for products which may in fact be the sorts of things that that individual is marketing.  This is precisely that sort of situation.

You have caught me dear!  There are some posts I simply do not finish, for cause.  Now that you have found me out, I have done painful restitution.  I have fully read the remainder.  I found it to be -- fluffy.
Anthro

Offline Moeim2

• IsisDivining
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday December 19, 2007, 04:23:01 AM »
Geez, Anthro,

If you are referring to my website re: goats milk soap... I wouldn't sell it if I didn't like it!  And I haven't directed anyone here to buy it there.  As you see, it's available in many different forms in many different places.  I just like it!  Just because I recommend something doesn't mean I expect any of you to buy it from me.  You can go into any bath and body shop or import store and find goats milk soap.  It's not exclusive to me.

blessings,
me

Offline suhana

• Registered member
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday January 09, 2008, 05:49:31 AM »
I want to suggest you Ayucare Neem soap which I’m using since past two years. As Neem has anti bacterial properties it’s very useful to any kind of skin irritation.

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
  • Administrative Bleeper!
  • Token Nutcase :D
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday January 09, 2008, 10:30:06 AM »
I want to suggest you Ayucare Neem soap which I'm using since past two years. As Neem has anti bacterial properties it's very useful to any kind of skin irritation.

I bet it would do wonders with some skin irritations, but if the problem is yeast, anti-bacterial is the *last* thing you want. Probably works great on acne, though.
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline sssyeahright

« Reply #20 on: Wednesday January 09, 2008, 02:36:45 PM »
been using the kiss my face products, olive & green tea, smells nice. but a question entered my mind in one of moeim2 she stated she loved the "slip" of goats milk soap well i have to take into consideration the hardness of water  we have very hard water here no slip if you will unless you have a water softening system hooked up to your home you bathe with what flows from municipal wells.

Offline Moeim2

• IsisDivining
« Reply #21 on: Thursday January 10, 2008, 02:18:20 AM »
Hi SSS,

Re Goats Milk Soap, we have hard water here in California too, but it really does have a nice feel to it.  I haven't noticed any decrease in "slip" due to the hard water.  Buy some somewhere and try it. you may be pleasantly surprised...  Even in hard water, it still goes on creamy and feels great!  The main problem we have with hard water is the shower stall scum and my hair definitely doesn't respond well to it, so have to use leave-in moisturizing cream to counteract the dryness.

Blessings,
maureen

Offline Blue Bird

• SkinCell Grand
  • Lyricist
« Reply #22 on: Thursday January 10, 2008, 06:01:26 AM »
 Hey, we have well water here, and we have hard water, too.

I was raised on city water that was just perfect, but that was then and this is now.

I wanted to mention that I remember asking my physiology professor about whether the type of water you have makes much difference in the body, and he mentioned that no, it does not, water is water, and the insides of the body may even benefit from the minerals in hard water.

Also, I wanted to mention that when we had a second bathroom installed in our home, the plumbers who installed it told me to take care of the new fixtures by using
a product called "THE WORKS". It removes hard water build up and if you spray the shower area and the sink with it, and wait, it does the work for you. The discoloration
from the minerals just melt away, and rinsing it off provides the sheathing action
that makes the product rinse down the drain, and VOILA, you have a clean tub and sink again, without any hard water build up.

I recommend "THE WORKS", for those of us with hard water, it's available in any grocery store.

Moeim> I am also prone to getting frizzy hair. I also use leave in moisturizers.
In the summer, when I swim in our pool, my hair gets downright bushy and frizzy.
I have tried every moisturizer out there, lots of them are good and I have to use them to beat the frizzies. Almost anything helps me.  8)

Offline Moeim2

• IsisDivining
« Reply #23 on: Friday January 11, 2008, 03:48:16 AM »
Hi Blue Sky and all of you,

Thx for the recommendation of "The Works" ...I think I've seen it in stores.  Frankly, I have never found any product that faciliates cleaning the orange scum on my shower, but it's worth a try.  Most cleaners I've used are corrosive to my skin and the chemical fumes in them make me nauseous so have to have the bathroom fan and door open when using them.  The other problem is my stupid shower stall has a lip towards the bottom and it's impossible to get under it and scrub that junk off.  I've got bad knees so can't kneel down and get to those areas either.  My son tries to clean it, but does a terrible job... so no luck there either.

But I'll try that product and see if it works.  Is it corrosive too, or gentle regarding fumes?

thx
maureen

Offline Blue Bird

• SkinCell Grand
  • Lyricist
« Reply #24 on: Friday January 11, 2008, 05:53:22 PM »
 Moem> I think ithe product "The Works"  smells pretty good, the bathroom smells
very clean after using it. I understand fully how no amount of scrubbing can take off the rust-like colored mineral deposits without using this product.

I am anxious for you to purchase this product from your supermarket and use it to see for yourself how amazing it is on hard water stains. Buy the sprayer bottle, it is about
$2.19, and spray down your whole bath-shower stall area.

The first time you use it, leave the bathroom and go back in about 10  minutes.
You will most likely see streaks where the mineral deposits are slipping away and down the drain. Rinse it down, and then use the product again, spraying everything down again. If you want to, use a pair of household rubber gloves and a scrub brush and scrub everything really good. Then rinse it off and use it once again if neccessary.

I am confident that you will be amazed at how absolutely sparkling clean this product makes the tub and the fixtures. The hard water mineral deposits will just wash away and you will also put this product on your regular household cleaning supplies list as a must have product for removing hard water mineral buildup in the shower and sinks.

I am sure you will read the label, but you are not to mix bleach with this product.
Mixing bleach with it will produce toxic fumes, like mixing amonia with bleach produces toxic fumes. Other than not mixing bleach with it, I have never had a problem with it.

I wouldn't have known about this product, either, if a plumber hadn't told me to use it on my newly installed fixtured because he knew we had well water which is hard water, and he knew the manufacturers suggestions for maintaining the product when the owner has hard water.

Please let me know what happens when you buy and use "The Works" on your hard water stains, soap scum  and mineral buildup on your bathroom fixtures. I know you will be as amazed and as pleased as I was with the results.

Offline Moeim2

• IsisDivining
« Reply #25 on: Saturday January 12, 2008, 07:35:52 AM »
I will definitely go to Orchard and buy that stuff. I'll keep you posted on the results.  I would love to figure out how to deal with this scum problem so am open to anything that might work.

Blessings,
maureen

Offline Blue Bird

• SkinCell Grand
  • Lyricist
« Reply #26 on: Sunday January 13, 2008, 07:12:06 PM »
 I thought I had better mention that if you have never used this product, called
"The Works", before, it might take a while for it to work. If the hard water mineral deposits have really built up, you will have to give it time to work. I think you probably realize that. I just don't want anyone to be dissappointed if it doesn't clear everything out as easily as I might have made it seem.

Once you have gotten rid of the mineral deposits, it will become increasingly easier to maintain the shower and sinks as the deposits build up again.

So, just to review, it might take "The Works" longer to work, if it is being used for the first time on a mineral buildup. I would think you should let it sit on the shower and bath fixtures for at least 20 minutes at a stretch.

Just make sure everyone in the family knows you are using a cleaning product on the shower and bath so that no one goes in and runs a bath while you have the product on the walls and surface of the tub.

We've never had a problem with this product, but it doesn't mean someone out there
won't have a problem with it, just because we don't. I hope this product works for you all who might try it. Just give it enough time for a heavy  mineral build up.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

New Soap> I just bought some soap yesterday called "Kirks Castile".
Has anyone used this soap before?
 On the label it says "Kirks Original Coco Castile" Healthy, Beautiful Skin Since 1839."
"Pure Botanical Coconut oil soap. Ultra Gentle with no drying residue."
All natural, hypoallergenic skin care with no animal by-products or synthetic detergents.

I tried it in the shower this morning. It seems nice, it doesn't really have much of a scent to it, well, I guess it wouldn't if it's "hypoallerenic". I am not sure how much I like it or not, does anyone else have an opinion on this soap?

Offline Moeim2

• IsisDivining
« Reply #27 on: Sunday January 13, 2008, 07:36:33 PM »
Hi Blue Sky,

I would definitely leave the product on a while.  Re Coco Castile Soap, sounds very nice.  Coconut Oil is excellent for the skin and castile is gentle enough for babies.  Let me know how you like it.

Blessings,
maureen

Offline Blue Bird

• SkinCell Grand
  • Lyricist
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday January 16, 2008, 06:20:35 PM »
 Well, I found out that I don't really like the "Kirks Original Coco Castile" soap.
Since it is supposed to be very gentle, I found it to be a bit harsh, and I am not sure why this is so. It has almost no scent to it, and I suppose that is to be expected from a soap that claims that it is "Pure Botanical Coconut oil soap. Ultra Gentle with no drying residue.All natural, hypoallergenic skin care with no animal by-products or synthetic detergents." 

Usually my skin can take almost any soap, but I found it odd that it felt irritated by a soap that is supposed to be hypoallergenic. I look forward to anyone else having any comments on this soap from their own experiences with it.

So, I am not going to recommend it. However, others might like it.

I found I had to quickly use Dove and then some olive oil soap to counter the strange affects of the Kirks Coco Castile soap. I know, this should not have been the way things worked out with this supposedly hypoallergenic and mild soap. *shrugs*

Moeim> I am very curious about if you found the product called "The Works" in a local store yet, what the outcome has been and how it worked for you.

Offline Moeim2

• IsisDivining
« Reply #29 on: Friday January 18, 2008, 03:03:37 AM »
Hi Blue Sky,

I haven't gone to the hardware store to buy "the Works".  Plan on doing it this weekend.  I'll keep you posted on how it works.  Sorry you didn't like the Castile Soap.  I know it's gentle, but I don't like it as a shampoo nor body soap.  It is really good in a face/body scrub which is what I use it for.  I like to feel "slimy" when I get out of the shower.   I won't use any commercial products on my face. For body, an olive-based soap would be a good idea, too.  I use my own products on my face.   I like cleansing oil better than soap for my face.  I don't wipe it off, I rinse it off and lightly pat my face dry so I can keep it working on my face when I go to sleep.  Dove is actually good for the face.  It was the top recommended commercial soap on the dermatologist list some years back.  I assume it still is.  No matter what  a bar soap is made of , I don't like the feel of it on my face, ever.  Skin is a different thing.  I like liquid soap for the shower and the St Ives Shea butter is really good.  I also love the goatsmilk soap but it gets messy since I haven't got a soap dish for it, so rarely use it.  It is awesome in a bath, tho'.   But, I won't use it on my face either.

I'll let you know how the "works" works!

Blessings,
maureen

Offline Blue Bird

• SkinCell Grand
  • Lyricist
« Reply #30 on: Sunday January 20, 2008, 06:08:20 AM »
 Moeim> Thanks for your input on Castile soap. My skin is just used to Dove and the Olive oil soaps. The Castile soap, while it is supposed to be mild, actually felt harsh to me. Just like Ivory soap is listed as being mild, but it feels harsh to me. I am going to take your recommendation and look for St. Ives Shea butter liquid soap.

Oh, you mentioned the hardware store, well, you don't even have to go to a hardware store, you can buy "The Works" at a grocery store.

Funny thing is I just found a product that has the same ingredients as "The Works" in it, and it was being clearanced out. It's from Rubbermaid and it's called "Shower, Tub and Tile Cleaner" Removes rust, calcium, soap scum, minerals and hard water stains. Either one does a great job. Depends on which one is on sale and will cost the least when you go looking. Good luck

« Last Edit: Monday January 21, 2008, 05:37:07 PM by Blue Sky »

Offline Moeim2

• IsisDivining
« Reply #31 on: Sunday January 20, 2008, 07:26:50 PM »
Hi Blue Sky,

Let me know how you like the St. Ives Shea Butter liquid soap.  It's actually got pieces of shea butter floating in it!  Very moisturizing.  I'll check out the Rubbermaid brand as well for the shower cleaner. 

Blessings,
maureen

Offline Blue Bird

• SkinCell Grand
  • Lyricist
« Reply #32 on: Friday February 01, 2008, 12:40:52 AM »
 Moeim2> I want to thank you for all your valuable advice.
I have some good news to report on a speciality soap that I bought
because I read what you had to say and I took your advice.
 I bought a large bar of soap called "Goats milk cream with
Marigold oil." I bought it because you mentioned that Marigold extract, also known as Marigold oil, also known as Calendula oil is one of the healing products that you use in your home based soap business.

I had never really read about nor studied the healing properties of Calendula oil. I believe this soap that I just bought and started using a few days ago, is my godsend. The smallish lesion I had leftover from my first bought with contact dermatitis, is now receeding and peeling away. I can see it getting smaller and smaller in only a few days time.

I didn't just use it to wash my face with. I decided to just put the soap up to the small lesion I have, wet the soap, and rub it on there, as if it were an ointment or a sort of a soap plaster on top of the spot. It turns out that this is exactly what I needed to fight this flaky little spot that has been driving me crazy for a few years. It is making it go away.

Here is what part of the box says:
 Fresh goats milk has long been used as a skin moisturizer. Goat's Milk contains capric and caprylic acids which reduce the alkalinity found in many skin care products. This reduced alkalinityresults in a pH level closer to healthy human skin.
 We have also added Calendula Oil from the Marigold plant, a plant lipid recognized for its antioxidant and emollient properties. Plant lipids, such as Calendula Oil can be very helpful in hydrating and keeping skin from feeling dry and uncomfortable.

This bar of "Savon Lait de Chevre"
Savon ultra-hydrant au lait de chevre frais,
avec huile du fleur de souci
 Or, in English:
 Goats Milk Soap
with Fresh Goats milk and marigold Oil
  It cost all of $1.99.

I am ever so grateful to you, Meoim2, for opening this idea to me, so that I could try it for myself. You are certainly a valuable person, with a lot of knowledge.

Everyone of us has to try different things on any skin problem that might arise in us, because not everything works for everyone. We all have different skin types, different nationalities, and we all have different types of skin conditions that make certain things work for us.

I certainly have you to thank for this break in treatment advancement
for me. Thank you so much, Moeim2. I am so glad you came on here.
I will continue to use and buy this product, because the results, in only a few days, have been almost miraculous.

:hugs:

Again, Thank you so very much.

Calendula oil - it's working for me.

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #33 on: Friday February 01, 2008, 01:01:40 AM »
Blue Sky,  it's great that this soap is helpful to you.

I just wanted to tell you, in case you weren't aware, that you can buy Calendula ointment in several forms.  I find this stuff to be VERY helpful in healing my scratched up bits...

I've tried several calendula based ointments, but my favourite is one by a German (I think?)company called Unda.  This is it (sorry about the French, but it's the only site I found!
http://www.unda.be/etapes/prod_content.html?id=7&rub=1&prod=15

Offline Moeim2

• IsisDivining
« Reply #34 on: Friday February 01, 2008, 03:55:34 AM »
Hi Blue Sky,

I'm glad the soap is working for you.  Calendula is absolutely a miracle botanical.  Also, thank you for the kind words about me and my passion..skin of course!  ???  Goat'smilk soap feels wonderful on my skin... I can't think of a better combo than that and calendula!

blessings,
maureen