Author Topic: Pantomime!!! Aladdin in Birmingham 2007/2008  (Read 5199 times)

Offline Wooley

• Retired Moderator
    • My Blog
Pantomime!!! Aladdin in Birmingham 2007/2008
« on: Wednesday July 18, 2007, 06:36:31 AM »
I am SO excited as I have just booked 3 tickets for Aladdin in Birmingham for January.

http://www.aladdinhippodrome.co.uk/

Not a mega fan of Pantomimes, and haven't been to one in years BUT I AM a massive fan of John Barrowman (since 1993). DH is a recent convert since we saw him live, recording "The Sounds of the Musicals" for TV. He'd deny it, of course, but yesterday when I found out how much the tickets were, he said "it's a once in a lifetime opportunity, go for it".  And he's also been heard to say that Dr Who was best when Captain Jack was in it...

Have I waffled on enough... VERY excited.

Now... better think about sorting out babysitters for two little boys!!!

:bounce: :clap: :bounce:

Wooley

Offline Wooley

• Retired Moderator
    • My Blog
Re: Pantomime!!! Aladdin in Birmingham 2007/2008
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday November 07, 2007, 06:29:01 PM »
JB's doing a tour next year too and we're going to get tickets for that too.

http://www.johnbarrowman.com/concerts/anothersidetour.html

Ooooh so excited!!!!!!!!!

Wooley

Offline Wooley

• Retired Moderator
    • My Blog
John Barrowman
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday January 15, 2008, 12:42:19 PM »
I know no-one's interested, and I honestly don't mind... but I have to talk about it to someone so tough!!!   ;)

We're going to the panto on Saturday... so not long now.  :)

Any JBs doing a book signing in Oxford in Feb so it looks like I'll be seeing him life 3 times this year. Really pleased that a) he's not just sticking to "Torchwood" and b) I managed to convert my husband into a fan.  ;D

Wooley

Offline Wooley

• Retired Moderator
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: Saturday January 19, 2008, 08:53:51 PM »
Oh it was so SO good. All the cast were fantastic. I feel like I have seen a show in the West End of London, not a panto in birmingham.

Even DH loved it!

:)

Wooley

Offline Pariah

• Truth/Conscience: the measure of character.
« Reply #4 on: Sunday January 20, 2008, 12:03:42 AM »
Wooley -your excitement is infectious!!! I had to find out about what you saw. I went to the links you provided and then I HAD to find out more! Wow! What fun! What a treat to see! I wish the panto would come across The Pond to us!

For others on this side of the Atlantic, the following will explain what Wooley has just enjoyed. It's really N-E-A-T! :

What is a pantomime, anyway?

(An explanation for readers from outside the British Isles)

Pantomime is a curious entertainment - a form of ritual theatre staged around the winter solstice. Originally silent (a form of mime), it is now anything but, with extensive vocalisation from both the performers and the audience.

The stories are generally well-known (drawn from popular folk-tales and similar sources), populated with stock characters, including a principal boy, generally played by a young lady with shapely legs, the heroine, also played by a young lady (which gives an added edge to the inevitable romance) and a dame, played by a man as an exaggeration of a lewd middle-aged lady. Scripts change from year to year, but generally contain four strands of humour: visual, topical, corny and downright rude. In the UK this is considered to be family entertainment.

The story of Aladdin comes from the Thousand-and-one Nights cycle. The original is set in China, but a very Arabian China (populated with the same genies and magicians that inhabit the rest of the tales). The pantomime has imported the Chinese setting, but in this case, it is a very English China - hence it is set in a Chinese laundry. There are numerous versions presented here, including Stuart Ardern's Large-Cast Aladdin, James Barry's Small-Cast Aladdin, Geoff Bamber's off-beat short version for children and a rhyming version.

The tale of Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves is also from the  Nights, but is less well established in the pantomime canon - so the minor characters are not so well established. Here we present Richard Coleman's short version in verse: Rhyming Ali Baba.

finish this article at:  http://www.lazybeescripts.co.uk/Panto.htm

Thanks for sharing that, Wooley -Symiere
"...You have to BE grateful to KNOW joy...."

Carlos Santana, from an interview on CBS' "Sunday Morning"

Offline M@t

• Administrator
  • Admin Geezer
  • The World's Happiest Uncle
    • Matt's English Adventures Blog
« Reply #5 on: Sunday January 20, 2008, 07:36:01 AM »
It's behind you!!!
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
The Doppler Effect - Why bad ideas seem good when they are coming towards you at high speed. Don't rush things!!!

Offline Pariah

• Truth/Conscience: the measure of character.
« Reply #6 on: Monday January 21, 2008, 01:27:47 AM »
 :faint:
"...You have to BE grateful to KNOW joy...."

Carlos Santana, from an interview on CBS' "Sunday Morning"

Offline Wooley

• Retired Moderator
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: Saturday February 16, 2008, 06:30:08 AM »
 ;D

Please excuse terrible photo of me. He was told by the publishers that he couldn't pose for photos, but he said "stand near me when I'm signing". Of course, thinking I couldn't have a photo, I hadn't bothered with make-up or anything. Idiot!

Wooley