Author Topic: Benefits of sun on eczema?  (Read 4812 times)

Offline anoni

• Registered member
Benefits of sun on eczema?
« on: Thursday June 28, 2007, 12:57:54 AM »
I've read that the sun does wonders for some people's eczema, and oddly enough my recurrence of eczema has been in the past 4 years, where I've begun to avoid the sun. (But it also went away for a year in there, so who knows.) Now more sun exposure isn't really an option though, I have a very pale complexion and the sun burns me like hell, and I don't think it's worth it to go back and burn in the sun and risk major skin cancer...

Is there any way to get the benefits of the sun without actually going into the sun? Is it the Vitamin D that helps, or something else?

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
Re: Benefits of sun on eczema?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday June 28, 2007, 04:49:54 PM »
Sun really helps my e, anoni....

There has been a lot in the news lately about how avoidance of sun has led a great many people to vitamin D deficiency (especially in the Northern hemisphere), and the Canadian Cancer Society recently issued a blanket recommendation that ALL adults supplement with vitamin D as several big studies have been linking cancers to insufficient vitamin D.

I know that some of our members with psoriasis have been on a supplementation programme featuring vitamin D as well as the essential fatty acids (omega 3 in particular), and have had really good results.  If you can't tolerate the sun in small doses, it might be worth experimenting with (carefully), but I wouldn't expect huge changes in a short period of time.

Offline verybadskin

• Registered member
« Reply #2 on: Sunday August 26, 2007, 05:11:52 PM »
The sun tends to help people whose eczema is caused by fungi (yeast)-such as seborrheic dermatitis and bacterial eczema.  The UV in the sunlight will kill the fungus and bacteria and as a result your immune system will not response and you skin will look better.

Offline BlistersOnMyFingers

• SkinCell God
  • of Multiple Choice
« Reply #3 on: Sunday August 26, 2007, 05:24:08 PM »
My derm offers UV treatment in his office.  I tried it for my atopic eczema a few years back, but for me it made things worse. Everyone is different, so I suggest asking your derm what he/she thinks.
Play The SkinCell Daily Quiz Daily Trivia game.  Post your results HERE.

Offline littlelady

« Reply #4 on: Monday August 27, 2007, 01:17:46 AM »
Hello
The sun also made my atopic dermatitis worse. But like blistersonmyfingers said everybody is different. Good luck I hope it helps you.

Offline turtlegurl

• Registered member
« Reply #5 on: Friday June 13, 2008, 07:49:37 AM »
yes, i have been using UV treatment for a few years now and it has helped tremendously.
"Life...it's like gettin' a blueberry muffin in a coffeeshop when what you ordered was the apricot-nut. There aren't any apricots or nuts in it, and you get tied up in knots just thinkin' about what you're missin', when the smarter thing to do is realize that blueberries have a nice taste, too."