Author Topic: eczema flare.  (Read 4521 times)

Monkeyboots

eczema flare.
« on: Thursday May 03, 2007, 05:13:29 PM »
My eczema is playing up at the mo. The thing is my skin never totally got better from last years bout of skin probs although it did start to look a lot better, but now it feels irritated, sore on the cracks and looks unsightly again.. I moisturise regularly morning and night but  I get  fine cracks on my legs like fine cuts. I also have a strange texture to my skin now in the areas affected it looks shiny on the scaly areas. My shoulders just seem to stay constantly dry.  I saw the derm recently and he said just to stick to very bland things for the skin and prescribed diprobase which I have used before but doesn't seem to help.  I had been using cocoa butter a while back but he said not to use that best to keep it simple.

Does anyone find having hayfever makes their skin flare up? Just out of interest..

I was hoping not to have to worry what I wear this summer but my skin is bad again. I don't dress skimpily anyway but my shins and my arms look scaly, like I don't moisturise! Frustrating.. :(

Offline Montego

• Registered member
Re: eczema flare.
« Reply #1 on: Monday May 21, 2007, 07:55:26 PM »
Monkeyboots-

Have you tried taking any oils internally (Flaxseed, Borage Oil or Fish Oils)?  Maybe the dryness is due to a deficiency in your Omega's, EFA's or GLA's that you get from normal food consumption but may require supplements if you are not getting enough.  I think treating the problem internally is just as important (if not more) than treating it externally.  I have invested in soooo many different types of creams, and while I have found some to work better than others, not one has ever taken away the dryness totally.  I am in the process of treating my issues internally in hopes of clearing up my skin. You may want to try one of these oils to see if it does anything for you. 
Also, I know my allergies contribute to my skin flaring up.  There are certain seasons for me that are worse than others so I'm sure if you have hayfever it could be contributing to your flare up.  According to my nutritionist, it's all connected.

-Montego

Monkeyboots

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday May 23, 2007, 09:33:11 AM »
Thank you Montego,

I am taking Evening Primrose at the moment and before that I was taking fish oils. I will buy some more capsules again.  I agree with treating the whole person not just the symptom too.

Monkeyboots

« Reply #3 on: Sunday June 10, 2007, 10:53:04 AM »
Feeling really fed up with my skin. Its quite irritated again at the moment. I am taking cod liver oil and evening primrose capsules but so far no noticeable improvement.

My arms just look tight and liney, my hands look very liney too old for my age the texture is a bit strange but they are not too bad. The backs of my shoulders seem to get very dry and itchy and its harder to reach there with moisturiser!  On my tum I have a roundish patch which looks dry and a bit rashy. My hips feel dry and itchy and I have had a recurrent rash on my hips which possibly could be clothing related so I don't always wear knickers.  :o My thighs are very dry , itchy, scaly and rashy at times. I also have a lot of thread veins there now and I have quite a prominent vein there too so it looks a mess. My lower legs are dry and often get liney and fine cracks and sometimes a raised rash over the top.  The texture is part shiny (unnaturally so) part scaly but not peely.

I am using E45 at the moment that seemed to soothe it for a bit but then it seemed to stop working so I tried Vit E oil but despite being an oil that didn't seem to do anything my skin seemed to look really dry again by the a.m. So I am back using E45 for now.

I had my thyroid checked recently but I haven't heard back so I think that was normal. I kind of hoped in a way there would be an explanation for why these last couple of years my skin has suddenly had such wide scale problems.. ???

My next derm appointment is November. He only prescribed diprobase before anyway which didn't seem to help in fact felt uncomfortable on my skin. He did give me Retin A for my other prob of pigmentation on my face. To be honest I haven't found the dermatologist very helpful so far, but I know they can't know everything and it can't be easy to find the right treatment for each person.

Feeling low.. :(

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: Monday June 11, 2007, 08:22:11 PM »
I'm sorry you're suffering so, MB

Do find the sun helpful?

Another thing to consider if you want to combat the dryness is taking frequent baths and immediately locking in the moisture (don't towel off completely...).  I love coconut oil as its completely non-irritating, but it may not be heavy enough for you.  There are lots of people here who probably disagree, but plain petroleum jelly does a good job acting as a barrier keeping the moisture in, especially if regular moisturizers are irritating.  Of course, it is greasy, but you really need very little.

I also find that increasing my omega 3 intake is helpful when my skin feels really dry.  Primrose oil is omega 6, and cod liver oil has some omega 3, but not as much as flax seed oil, salmon oil, and borage oil.  I add a tablespoonful of flax oil to a salad (or pasta sauce - not while it's cooking though), or if I'm taking capsules, I take 6000 mg.  These might be worth adding to your diet too, MB.

Monkeyboots

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday June 12, 2007, 06:23:46 PM »
Thanks itchychick,  :)

Unfortunately the sun doesn't seem to improve my skin, it has had bad times in winter and summer. I know the sun can be beneficial to some eczema sufferers. Unfortunately not noticeably for me. I think in the heat I tend to get a heat type rash aswell on top of the dryness problem. I have found behind my knees gets very itchy and rashy and on my hips. I am trying to stick to loose clothing to help the air circulate.

Thanks for the advice about the flaxseed oil being a better source of omega 3. Maybe the cod liver oil isn't giving me enough. I have been taking 2000mg (2 one a day tabs) of cod liver oil and 1000mg of evening primrose each day, so when I have some cash I will get some of the seed oils to try.

After work yesterday I asked in the pharmacy about eczema treatments and he recommended 'calmurid'. (uric and lactic acid). (then he told me the price £12  :o anyway after making them search for it I bought it) It did sting a bit at first but I mixed it with the diprobase and dare I say it does seem to be working a bit on the dryness. Fingers crossed.

Really appreciate the reply thanks itchy, hope you are doing o.k at the mo.

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday June 13, 2007, 12:38:19 AM »
Thanks for asking, MB... my skin is in a bit of a quiescent period... I won't say great (it's so scarred!), but at least it's not really itchy at the moment... just some stubborn areas.

I've tried similar creams (the lactic and uric acid).  I'm pretty sure they both have a mild exfoliating effect (because of the acids), and hence the sting.  I hope it helps you!

If you are in the UK (which I gather you are), you might check into a cream called "Doublebase".  Bunnie posted about it, and recommends it highly.  It's not available in Canada, but it sounded promising.  I'll see if I can find the link to Bunnie's post.

Monkeyboots

« Reply #7 on: Thursday June 14, 2007, 05:23:06 PM »
Hi Itchy, :)
glad your skin isn't being too troublesome at the mo.

So far the cream does seem to be helping, I think maybe as the texture of my skin was strange the exfoliating effect is good for it.  The thing I have noticed with a lot of them is they help a bit for a while and then my skin seems to get bad again, so hopefully this one will be the exception.

If not thanks for tip about Doublebase I will look out for it.