Author Topic: Need Advice  (Read 2478 times)

Offline trish_j

Need Advice
« on: Wednesday April 04, 2007, 05:49:33 PM »
Hi everyone, I just found out last night that my 7 year old daughter has exema, she has it on her back and all down her butt cheek and thigh, it is really red, and she says it hurts, we saw a doc last night but he really didnt say much as to what to do about it to ease her discomfort, i really dont know much about it so i am looking for any advice. Thanks, Trish

Offline Cocoa

• Registered member
  • Super Mom
Re: Need Advice
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday April 04, 2007, 06:33:11 PM »
Hi Trish!  Sorry you had to join our club.  It sucks! 

My Daughter was born with it.  I will tell you how we treat her.

All Free and Clear Laundry Detergent
DHS Clear Shampoo
Cetaphil Soap (ONLY WHEN SOAP IS NEEDED)
Cetaphil Cream
Neutrogina Fragrance Free Body Oil
Aquaphor

You daughter doesn't sound to bad.  Mine is severe.  I have given this treatment plan to others whose children aren't as bad off as mine and their Eczema completely disapears. 

You need to let her play in the bath EVERY DAY for at least 20 mins. that has 4 cap fulls of the Body oil in it.  Do not use soap on her every unless she is visably dirty.  I usually pin up my daughters hair and only wash it every other day in the DHS to keep down on the drying from the Shampoo.  After she is out of the tub pat her down then rub her down in the Cetaphil cream.  Then Rub her down again in the morning.  She should be lotioned up at least twice a day.

For raw or scratched spots use the aquaphor.  White lotions will burn open wounds.  Give her Motrin or Tylenol when she gets inflamed.  Give her Benadryl if she is very itchy and needs extra comfort.  There is a product called Sarna that helps calm itching, but it stings at first if they have been scratching (its white).  But it does work.  Remeber white stings scratches. 

I also bought my daughter one of those cheap lady bug vibrating back scratchers from walmart.  Its a life saver.  And finally, she will flare in the heat.  An ice pack works wonders.

I have used everything perscription there is.  Nothing worked.  we finally got a consult with a member of the Northeast Pediatric Deratology Board, and the above was what she told us to do.

She says that unlike old research, now they understand that children like ours are lacking the protien that protects the skin layer and locks moisture in.  So we must consentrate on giving them a man made skin barrier.  This new theory was our break through.  Where as Tatie is far from cured.  She is able to function as a normal kid most of the time.  This is a large step up from where we were before this new process.  Before this she was unable to walk and spent all day laying on the couch because it hurt to walk.

Please let me know if this helps.  Feel free to PM me.  Its nice to meet you. 

One more thing.  My oldest daughter had it on her hind end too.  But when we switched to the All Free and Clear it dissappeared.