Author Topic: Atopic dermatitis and cyclosporine  (Read 3480 times)

Offline whippetmama

• Registered member
Atopic dermatitis and cyclosporine
« on: Thursday March 22, 2007, 12:54:44 PM »
 :)Hello, I'm new her. I will post my info/story on the intro board later today.
Have had severe atopic dermatitis since birth. Been on every treatment under the sun and just started on cyclosporine last week. Hoping to have another child and this seems to be my only option as last time I went off Imuran and then ended up on steroids fro the last half of my pregnancy. It truly was horrible and I was off work and unable to function or sleep for months. My immune system cannot go uncheked it seems.

Anyway anyone with experience with this drug? Esp women who had a pregnancy. All stories welcome.

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
Re: Atopic dermatitis and cyclosporine
« Reply #1 on: Thursday March 22, 2007, 03:20:36 PM »
Hi whippetmama,

Welcome to the forum... it's a great place for support.

I have never been on immunosuppressants for my eczema, but pregancy certainly aggravated my condition.  I know that other members have been on cyclosporine and other similar drugs, so perhaps someone will be able to share their experiences with you.  It is a good idea to post on the introduction board, too, as a broader range of members will see it. :)

Offline Firedog

• Registered member
« Reply #2 on: Thursday March 29, 2007, 12:15:10 PM »
I am new to this forum and also on Clicloporin - sp??? and want to hear of other's experience since doctor took blood test, blood pressure and even X-Ray before starting on this course and monitoring me every week.  I feel that this may be just as bad as taking steroid!! Will this cure or just another suppresant? 

Anyone tried TCM (traditional Chinese medicine)?  I live in Singapore. 

Offline whippetmama

• Registered member
« Reply #3 on: Friday March 30, 2007, 12:02:14 AM »
Hi! I really doubt it will cure, just a different supressant for me. Almost at week 2 and still not much improvement. Getting ready to shell out $300 for another 2 weeks worth before my blood tests.

Offline LIGA girl

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Cicadas
  • Me Simpsonized!
« Reply #4 on: Monday April 09, 2007, 08:09:41 PM »
Hi whippetmama

welcome here to Skincell!   :)

I  took cyclosporin for my skin condition last year and it didnt do much to improve it, though maybe my doc didnt leave me on it for long enough. I require longterm immunesuppressants in addition to prednisone & antibiotics. I had the weekly bloods with cyclosporin, but didnt have any bad reactions to it apart from high blood pressure which is pretty common with that drug. Once I came off it my BP soon went back to normal.

I am now on imuran, prednisone and erythromycin and that combo is working to control my problem, though slowly. The goal is to get off the steroids: as you say they are truly horrible. The others like imuran and cyclosporin are long term and take a while to kick in and then you decrease the steroid. Sorry I cant help with answers to the pregnancy side of things.

I hope you get some answers soon
LG