Author Topic: Cheesemaking  (Read 45073 times)

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
Re: Cheesemaking
« Reply #80 on: Friday February 08, 2008, 07:17:33 PM »
I'm glad to see you back too, Anthro, and I'm glad there wasn't too much damage caused byt the tornadoes in your corner of the world...

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
  • The best medicine is caring and affection.
    • Eureka Ideas Unlimited, Anthropositor's Posts,   To Obama
« Reply #81 on: Monday February 18, 2008, 05:10:21 PM »
Thank you Itchy.  I have been too busy since I got back to even climb up on the roof to check out the damage from the limbs.  Pip had five pups on Valentine's Day.  Not a runt in the pack.  It is going to be very difficult to send them to new homes.  They are an exotic cross between Shar Pei, Labrador, Rottweiller, Blue Heeler and Mastiff.  I expect they will grow up to be about eighty pounds each.

And in the cat world, I have three females getting ready to have litters.  One is Cherie a polydactyl Siamese-Himalayan bred only to Felice and Butchie, a full-blooded exotic Persian and his son, half exotic Persian and half Duke’s Mixture.  The two outdoor expectants are Big Mama and Esmeralda.  No telling for sure who all the fathers are, except for Butchie.  His enthusiasm in such matters is Rasputin-like.  He once even mounted  a pedigreed Himalayan tomcat who was so mortified by the experience he went into exile.  A sad loss to the colony, but I do not mess with Butchie’s  leadership of the feline Hobo Jungle.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." Chinese Proverb.

"What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn examine first before you decide"-- Confucius

Pray to the Gods, for the Gods are not unless you pray to them.--Don Marquis

Offline Wooley

• Retired Moderator
    • My Blog
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday February 19, 2008, 10:27:32 AM »
Welcome back Anthro! I hope that the new additions all settle in well! Sounds like you have a huge amount of animals around!

:hugs:

Wooley

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #83 on: Tuesday February 19, 2008, 04:17:13 PM »
Thank you Woo.  The pups have roughly doubled in weight in the past six days.  I commence training of  pups before they open their eyes.  Actually, with this particular litter, or at least with two of the pups, Valentine and Prince Valiant, the training started on day one.  Oddly, it is not the carefully creative lineage which is the greatest marketing aid, as I would have expected.  I often schedule several people at a time for the viewings.  When they arrive, I pour them each a flagon of homemade wine and get to know them as well as I can for 15 0r 20 minutes.  This way, I know which ones to gently discourage from buying one of the dogs.  I want none of them to go into the fighting dog world for instance.  And since I favor breeds like Shar Pei and Mastiff in the mix, I do need to filter out those who would make them into fighters or guard dogs instead of members of the family.

The clincher in the decision to get one of these dogs is not the carefully worked out crossbreeding.  What really amazes the people most is that when I go out and blow the whistle, the pups immediately come from all directions to find me.  Most people have never seen a six week old pup who has been trained to do anything at all predictably.   That is why my pups command triple digit prices.

On the cheese front, I have been developing a new kind of cheese designed to bolster the immune system.  I doubt it will sell too well though, in spite of the fact that it is delicious as well.  Few people will be able to afford $50 a pound in my neighborhood, so I will continue to mostly be making it for myself and my guests.  It is the first thing to be gone on the buffet table when I entertain.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." Chinese Proverb.

"What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn examine first before you decide"-- Confucius

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #84 on: Wednesday February 20, 2008, 06:07:41 PM »
That's quite something that you are able to begin training so early, anthro...   Not knowing a thing about dogs,  I wouldn't even have thought it possible.

Your cheese sounds intriguing.  What gives it immune boosting properties?

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #85 on: Wednesday February 20, 2008, 07:02:34 PM »
Antibodies.

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #86 on: Friday May 23, 2008, 10:51:54 PM »
The dogs and cats are getting most of the cheese I make these days, since I can't see well enough to examine the cheese for invading cultures.  Probably an over abundance of caution since I don't recall any adverse consequences from homemade cheese or wine.  And I'm using wild organisms.

Offline LIGA girl

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Cicadas
  • Me Simpsonized!
« Reply #87 on: Saturday May 24, 2008, 01:44:27 AM »
Great to se this thread revived yet again .... and timely as I have just started my first batch of goat cheese for many months today. I expect I will eat about half this batch and give the rest to my daughter, she lives in a commune and they all love home made goat cheese there, my son who lives with me does not like it, and one of my cats loves it while the other does not.

You will love it when you do get your eyes done Anthro, I was only "blind" for a few months but it was fantastic getting my sight back to normal, even though it is only in one eye and that would suit me fine to leave it like that except that I am not so good at judging distances, my old eye is both cataracted and myopic so practically useless now I cant wear glasses.

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #88 on: Saturday May 24, 2008, 04:19:45 AM »
But the one eye in which you had a lens replacement worked out well?  What sort of implant did you get? 

Offline LIGA girl

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Cicadas
  • Me Simpsonized!
« Reply #89 on: Saturday May 24, 2008, 04:31:19 AM »
Yes it worked out fine, I am not sure what sort of lens I got, I dont know anything about the different sorts of lenses. I was even conscious for part of the operation, which took place  in the evening, and the next morning I woke up and took off the patch and could see really well, better than ever as I was no longer shortsighted. I do however need reading glasses now which I didnt need before, but that is normal for a 52 year old. A word of warning however, you will see dirt and stuff you never knew you had around you,I had to clean my house again after I had mine done, but couldnt do that straight away as you cant bend down or put pressure on your eye while it heals and someone told me not to sneeze either for a few weeks after the operation. There was hardly any pain afterwards either.

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #90 on: Sunday May 25, 2008, 05:46:03 AM »
Sounds like you got a monofocal lens implant and that everything went perfectly.  Puzzled by the advice not to sneeze though.  Seems counterproductive.  Sneezing is largely an involuntary action.  You can't always stop it.  Trying to stop it by holding it in or stifling it certainly wouldn't be good for the post-operative eye.  If I had an irresistable urge to sneeze, I would sneeze as gently as possible with both mouth and throat as wide open as possible, minimizing the burst effect of the sneeze.

Glad it worked out for you.

Offline LIGA girl

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Cicadas
  • Me Simpsonized!
« Reply #91 on: Sunday May 25, 2008, 05:56:41 AM »
It was my neighbour who had had the procedure herself who told me not to sneeze, and I dont often sneeze anyway so it was not a problem for me and as you say I dont know what I could do about it if I had to sneeze, I cant always stop it.  :) A few times I put my head down, forgetting I wasnt supposed to and I could feel it in my eye, apparently the lens can become dislodged in that situation. I also had to be careful when putting clothes on over my head, any pressure on my eye felt uncomfortable, but truly Anthro I dont know why you are not getting it done very soon, it is so low risk and the improved vision is just so fantastic. I was so sick of using a  huge magnifying glass to read and I am on imunesuppressants and I had no trouble with infection even though I have an increased risk of it.

Offline M@t

• Administrator
  • Admin Geezer
  • The World's Happiest Uncle
    • Matt's English Adventures Blog
« Reply #92 on: Wednesday May 28, 2008, 07:38:12 PM »
If I had an irresistable urge to sneeze, I would sneeze as gently as possible with both mouth and throat as wide open as possible, minimizing the burst effect of the sneeze.

If I have to sneeze, I don't hold back. If I do, I sometimes have a moments dizziness. Same sort of dizziness you get if bend down and touch your toes, and then stand upright too quickly.

Back on topic, I have purchased a some new types of cheese from the man in the market. I haven't tried them as yet, but I'm sure they will be nice. One of them has walnuts (and possibly some kind of extract) in, and the other is a bit of a surprise.

Matt
« Last Edit: Wednesday May 28, 2008, 07:42:14 PM by Uncle Matt »
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
The Doppler Effect - Why bad ideas seem good when they are coming towards you at high speed. Don't rush things!!!

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #93 on: Friday May 30, 2008, 08:04:08 AM »
Things are in a state of rapid change in cataract correction. I am looking at a new dual optic accommodating lens.  Very interesting   A radical departure from all the other mainstream lenses.  But there are a lot of questions for which I do not have answers yet.  Looks like I'll get a monofocal in the first eye, since it isn't the dominant eye anyway.  Probably won't wait much longer.

Offline LIGA girl

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Cicadas
  • Me Simpsonized!
« Reply #94 on: Friday May 30, 2008, 08:54:03 AM »
Anthro, can you give me some more info on that new lens, perhaps post a good website, please? I still have one eye to be done and if I can get a better lens that could be good, especially if it meant doing away with the reading glasses.

Maybe we should continue this conversation on the Anthro hires a surgeon thread??

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #95 on: Sunday September 14, 2008, 09:01:36 AM »
I didn't see your question earlier because I haven't been making much cheese lately.  I think you might want to give careful consideration to several things before deciding what to do on that second eye.  I am a proper candidate for different kinds of lenses in each eye because I am  monofocal by nature.  For others, better binocular vision may warrant the same sort of lens in both eyes.

If your question refers to the dual optic lens I was referring to, these are some things that should inspire some caution.  Something less than 1500 eyes have been done, and the data on these operations is not easily acquired by the end consumer.  (When I say that, I refer to the patient.  When the company says it, they refer to the physician).  This is an important distinction.  I found it extremely difficult to get meaningful information from the company.  But let's leave that aside, since your inclination to understand the details of your eye correction does not seem as overdeveloped as mine is.

Here are some other things to consider.  The lens system is bigger, and perhaps double the weight.  There is no data on the long term possibly negative impact on the accommodative musculature.  The incision also needs to be larger than is the case with the other accommodating lenses.  Nor do we know what probable postoperative glare problems might need to be gotten used to.

And I don't know enough to be able to generate as much enthusiasm as curiosity.  But the company is called Visiogen.   

Offline LIGA girl

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Cicadas
  • Me Simpsonized!
« Reply #96 on: Sunday September 14, 2008, 09:31:17 AM »
Hi Anthro

I have now had the second eye done, I asked about a different lens so I did not have to use reading gasses and was told it could be done but I opted not to have that stronger lens as my eye doc said not everyone can adapt to being monofocal and they then have to have the operation redone and it is more risky than the initial operation. Both operations went well, though I experienced a lot more pain after the second one, but only for a few hours and I also had a black eye for a few weeks after that second operation. I now have very good vision but need weak reading glasses, a good outcome for a 52 year old.
your inclination to understand the details of your eye correction does not seem as overdeveloped as mine is
No, I did not opt to research extensively about this procedure as I wish to focus on the positives in my life rather than spend much time researching about my medical problems which as you probably know came on me suddenly and devastatingly at the age of 50. Now over two years later I am still on the disability pension but am now able to at least work 20 hours a week though that is a struggle for me. When I got the cataracts, which were sudden onset and due to my high intake of prednisone, it had a further devastating effect on my life - I had to give up my then employment as I could no longer read without using a very large magnifying glass and then only for short periods of time. The positive I saw in that situation was that the cataracts were very easily fixed compared to the really major health problem I have and for which I am still a constant guinea pig for my docs, one such problem is plenty enough for me to cope with ......

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #97 on: Sunday September 14, 2008, 05:04:29 PM »
LG, Clearly you chose wisely.  Your ophthalmologist is to be commended for his guidance.

I do wish I could help in some way with your Linear IgA, but it is one of those intractable diseases.  And not being afflicted by it, I am less motivated than I should be to really dig into it comprehensively.

My skin problems have pretty much entirely disappeared over the past few years, and I couldn't really say, with any precision, why.  I feel fortunate though, that the stroke and the high blood pressure and the assorted longstanding skin lesions, and now the cataracts, motivated me to delve into all the related health issues as much as they have.

Each of these illnesses have contributed greatly to my current good health, motivating me to engage in better nutrition and improve the quality of my diet, the duration of quality sleep, and improving my responses to adversity, to whatever extent I can.  I hope you get similar dividends in your quest for good health.

Offline LIGA girl

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Cicadas
  • Me Simpsonized!
« Reply #98 on: Monday September 15, 2008, 05:23:51 AM »
Anthro,

I would have to say that the lifestyle changes I have made as a result of my illness have certainly improved my quality of life too and like you I dont really know what affects the course of my illness. I now know that there is a degree of acceptance in facing such illness and that one should never assume that there is a clear answer to these illnesses, as many have often assumed with mine, but they are the ones who actually know nothing about it, ironically.

LG

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #99 on: Friday May 01, 2009, 07:29:00 PM »
This year, I intend to get back to making some cheeses again.  This time, Shmooo will be one of the more frequent additives, along with onion, caraway, dill and the various Italian herbs.  I think this will be the central way of using up my dry Shmooo even when I have the fresh Shmooo available to eat.  For cheese, the dry has quite distinct advantages.  It can be powdered, allowing great uniformity throughout the cheese.