Anyone else had Pinta?

Yes
0 (0%)
No
0 (0%)
What is that?
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: mysterious itchy hand and foot rash  (Read 7932 times)

sdskin

mysterious itchy hand and foot rash
« on: Sunday February 18, 2007, 04:00:17 PM »
I was recently diagnosed with Pinta, a skin disease that is not supposed to be in the USA. It is common in Mexico and I live in San Diego, CA.  The doctors had no idea what is was and thought it was eczema. It presents as a lump on the finger or leg or foot which gets thickened and hard.  From that, an itchy rash develops on the hands and feet. The rash is flat and red and circular. Very hot and uncomfortable. I researched on the internet and found information on Pinta, which is a Trempanema bacteria, the same family as syphilis. It is NOT an STD, but the test to see if you have it is the blood syphilis test. If you have a strange rash on your hands and feet that itches and you have not had relief using creams etc. it may be worth your time to resesarch Pinta. I had to educate my doctors and almost beg for the antibiotic to treat it since none of them knew about this disease.

People with eczema are at greater risk since the disease enters through broken skin from towels, skin to skin contact etc.  I got mine from a gym when I had cracked skin on my hands.

It is not syphilis, but unfortunatley the test is.  The symptoms are very different from syphilis: first lesion is hard and conical on the hand or leg/foot area and the rash is itchy. A syphilis rash is not usually itchy and the lesion is totally different. Antibiotics totally cure Pinta, although you want to treat it early since it can permanently disfigure your skin.

Hopefully no one else will get this, but I feel that I have to let people know that a disease that we are not supposed to have is here in the USA and doctors need to know or else while they treat it for eczema, it will spread and could become epidemic.

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
  • The best medicine is caring and affection.
    • Eureka Ideas Unlimited, Anthropositor's Posts,   To Obama
Re: mysterious itchy hand and foot rash
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday February 21, 2007, 04:33:27 PM »
It is not syphilis, but unfortunatley the test is.  

Syphilis was often referred to as "the great pretender" because it could manifest itself in so many different ways.  I found nothing in your post that demonstrated that you used logic or evidence to conclude that your condition was something else.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." Chinese Proverb.

"What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn examine first before you decide"-- Confucius

Pray to the Gods, for the Gods are not unless you pray to them.--Don Marquis

sdskin

Re: mysterious itchy hand and foot rash
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday February 21, 2007, 06:43:12 PM »
Syphilis and Pinta are both Trepanema bacteria, but present very differently. Also, syphilis is not spread by towels and gym mats etc. Educate yourself and you will see they are different infections (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treponema for a start). It is important for people to know this since Pinta will be misdiagnosed since doctors and the general public do not know about it. My doctor and dermatologist would have diagnosed me with syphilis had it been. In fact, when I suggested a syphilis infection for that matter, they all but laughed at me. Syphilis is not only an STD, it presents with a chancre. Pinta is not sexually transmitted and it presents with a papule.
Treponema/Spirochaete
There are 293 isolates of treponema to date. The high false positive rate of 2% in the RPR test may be cross reactivity to strains of treponema other than Treponema pallidum subsp. pallidum rather than non-reactivity to treponema. Other subspecies of treponema pallidum besides pallidum are known to cause bejel, yaw, and pinta. There has been a surge of pinta in recent years and the number of annual new cases worldwide is equal to that of breast cancer.
The causative agent of periodontal disease is treponema denticola. It is estimated that 80% of adults will have this at least one point in their lives. Treponema parvum causes gingivitis. Oral isolates of treponema have been shown to spread to the aorta, which may be the mechanism whereby treponema denticola infection during pregnancy causes preterm birth or low birth weight by fetal transmission. It has been documented that some strains of treponema can be spread by food utensils. Treponemas are spirochaetaceae bacteria. A related spirochaetaceae, borrelia burgdorferi, was found to be the causative agent of the infectious disease outbreak in Lyme Connecticut in 1975. Lyme disease is now documented in 49 of 50 states and 25% of new cases are not from tick transmission.