Author Topic: Adverts on TV that you like and hate  (Read 31247 times)

Offline Wooley

• Retired Moderator
Re: Adverts on TV that you like and hate
« Reply #20 on: Sunday March 11, 2007, 06:43:37 PM »
Not keen on the new "Diet Coke Break" ad. Only because, personally, the new bloke isn't a patch on the one in the previous Diet Coke ad.

:shake:

:drool:  he was delicious!
You can say that again!

Offline totalfolly

• Retired Moderator
  • Crazy Cat Hero
  • I yam what I yam
« Reply #21 on: Sunday March 11, 2007, 09:29:21 PM »
Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!   :drool:

I'll take two, please.  ;D

totalfolly
"If you hear a voice within you say 'You cannot paint'
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced."
 -- Vincent vanGogh

Offline Hobbob

• SkinCell God
« Reply #22 on: Monday March 12, 2007, 08:34:14 PM »

I havn't actually looked at your links yet, Hobb, but I LOVE your avitar!! Cookies, huh?

I stole it off some1 on another forum i frequent  ;) Iv got a few other good 1s tho, might change my avi from time to time - change is good after all :)

btw; MattC, i posted the condom ad link on the other forums im on - its been giving alot of ppl alot of laughs :)

R.
"So i trust it goes without saying that i would feel really very sad, if tomorrow you were to fall off something high or catch something bad"

Offline LIGA girl

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Cicadas
  • Me Simpsonized!
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday March 13, 2007, 11:38:14 AM »
Perhaps it's just me but does anyone else think that the recent Foster's Twist advert (laid-back lager) is just plain silly to the point of being annoying?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bJpGm1xFq0

IMHO it's not as good as previous Fosters ads. Try these:

These Think Australian Drink Australian ads arent very complimentary to us Aussies, but on the other hand they are far better than ads we get here .... If you guys think you've got stuff to complain about, dont watch our ads, at least yours have some creativity in them. It is also interesting to see how we are regarded internationally ... not very suave I must say. Though when I think about it, our own beer ads portray Aussie men as pretty stupid, but not in quite the same way that these ones do. At least they dont take themselves too seriously, not like the old one with the hair do and the suit!  :o

Offline LIGA girl

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Cicadas
  • Me Simpsonized!
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday March 13, 2007, 11:41:14 AM »
Not keen on the new "Diet Coke Break" ad. Only because, personally, the new bloke isn't a patch on the one in the previous Diet Coke ad.

:shake:

:drool:  he was delicious!
You can say that again!

see what I mean?? Not fair, we dont get this ....

Offline Wooley

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday March 13, 2007, 02:21:12 PM »
LG, have no fear, YouTube's here:  http://youtube.com/watch?v=HI3Ft363PZ8

As for ads concerning Australian people - how about Sheila's Wheels? I have to say I absolutely love those ads - they are funny and the are really catchy too. BUT is every woman in Australia really referred to as a "Sheila"? Alf Stewart didn't help in that department either, IMHO!

Wooley

Offline LIGA girl

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Cicadas
  • Me Simpsonized!
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday March 13, 2007, 07:34:18 PM »
LG, have no fear, YouTube's here:  http://youtube.com/watch?v=HI3Ft363PZ8
Thanks Woo! I have seen this one before though ... it is a good one!

As for ads concerning Australian people - how about Sheila's Wheels? I have to say I absolutely love those ads - they are funny and the are really catchy too. BUT is every woman in Australia really referred to as a "Sheila"?
It is a generic term, like chick or babe, but is pretty dated now. I dont think it is used very often anymore. I dont know what Sheila's Wheels is .... never heard of it  ???

Offline Wooley

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday March 13, 2007, 08:02:37 PM »
LG: Sheila's Wheels is a car insurance company for women. You can see the site here but I don't think the adverts are on it.
http://www.sheilaswheels.com

The standard ad is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrKaQRIXPNw see what I mean about catchy?

During my googling for this, I have discovered entire fan sites for the Sheila's etc... has the world gone mad?

Wooley

Offline M@t

• Administrator
  • Admin Geezer
  • The World's Happiest Uncle
    • Matt's English Adventures Blog
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday March 13, 2007, 08:13:17 PM »
btw; MattC, i posted the condom ad link on the other forums im on - its been giving alot of ppl alot of laughs :)
R.

;D

I'm glad people are happy.

M.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
The Doppler Effect - Why bad ideas seem good when they are coming towards you at high speed. Don't rush things!!!

Offline LIGA girl

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Cicadas
  • Me Simpsonized!
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday March 13, 2007, 08:15:37 PM »
LG: Sheila's Wheels is a car insurance company for women. You can see the site here but I don't think the adverts are on it.
http://www.sheilaswheels.com

The standard ad is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrKaQRIXPNw see what I mean about catchy?

During my googling for this, I have discovered entire fan sites for the Sheila's etc... has the world gone mad?

thanks Woo, I can understand why those ads attract that sort of following - it is an excelllent ad!
LG

Offline andyb

• Global Moderator
  • of Wackiness
  • I've been Simpsonized!
    • Welcome to my Concorde website
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday March 13, 2007, 08:51:34 PM »
have you noticed that the car in the Sheila's Wheels advert is going backwards - not to mention that the 'driver' only has her hands on the steering wheel occassionally and isn't looking where she's going either....

as Woo says Catchy tune though!
I'm playing The SkinCell Daily Quiz - are you??

Offline LIGA girl

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Cicadas
  • Me Simpsonized!
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday March 13, 2007, 08:57:52 PM »
have you noticed that the car in the Sheila's Wheels advert is going backwards - not to mention that the 'driver' only has her hands on the steering wheel occassionally and isn't looking where she's going either....

Then they didnt actually have to come to Oz to film the ad  ...

Offline Wooley

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday March 13, 2007, 09:17:08 PM »
Apparently they aren't Australian and they don't trade in Australia either.

It is one of those tunes that gets stuck in your head though.

Woo

Offline M@t

• Administrator
  • Admin Geezer
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday March 13, 2007, 10:21:15 PM »

As Woo says Catchy tune though!

This ad would be a good example of how not to drive..... ;D

M.
The Doppler Effect - Why bad ideas seem good when they are coming towards you at high speed. Don't rush things!!!

Offline LIGA girl

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Cicadas
  • Me Simpsonized!
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday March 14, 2007, 02:34:55 AM »

I re- watched it and picked up that it is only in one shoot that they are going backwards, tho in another one, a dog is driving!

The really funny part for me is the difference between these gals driving in the outback and the sorts of drivers and cars you would actually see there .... certainly nothing like them. But it does have that happy, glam feeling about it, with a certain Thelma & Louise feel too.

For a creepy view of the outback, google Wolf Creek and look at the wikipedia account of this film. Dont look at the official website  - it would be too scary. I saw this film  a few years ago and resolved that I would never go west of the Great Divide ever again!

Offline Wooley

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday March 14, 2007, 06:10:27 AM »
I think it's most likely safe to say that people watching Sheila's Wheels adverts realise they are a bit of a laugh and wouldn't really think they are a true portrayal of Australian life  ;)  I couldn't find any of the other ones but I've seen some longer versions before with men with hats (with corks hanging down), looking all butch in bars with pints of whatever... and then moaning on about how they wished they were sheila's or similar. The longer versions are actually really funny.

Woo

Offline LIGA girl

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Cicadas
  • Me Simpsonized!
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday March 14, 2007, 10:46:17 AM »
There is a series of beer ads here that were a bit like that, and they were really funny too. It started out with this group of guys going for a fishing trip, then realising that the boat was stuck on a beach and wouldnt ever float anywhere, due to the poor planning of their leader, but luckily there is a huge hold on the boat full of coldies, so they are set. The ads then go on to detail the adventures they have stuck on the beached boat while drinking beer and trying to fish. They have all sorts of odd visitors, such as a backpacker and his nonEnglishspeakingbutverybeautifulSwedish girlfriend. The backpacker has to convince one of them that it doesnt matter that she doesnt speak English ...

Anyway, the point of the ads seems to be that men are pretty stupid, but give them some cold beers (and possibly some mindless sex) and they will be perfectly happy! this is such a change from ads a few years ago where men were of the James Bond ilk, or even the Crocodile Dundee type, as you've probably got in the Sheila's Wheels ads by the sound of it, and they had some sort of attractive masculine quality. Now, it seems, the dumber and less attractive the better! At least in ad land ...

Offline andyb

• Global Moderator
  • of Wackiness
  • I've been Simpsonized!
    • Welcome to my Concorde website
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday March 14, 2007, 08:21:47 PM »
and even more strangely boys doing the Shake'n'Vac advert in the playground and giggling inanely  ??? ).

Unfortunately, but sometimes rather amusingly, one of our teacher's at school had the shakes, and because he was also seen hoovering up in the staff room (after a big teacher's bust-up about other messy teachers) he got the nickname "Shake N Vac".

Hey Matt - I've tracked down the Shake'n'Vac advert - cringe factor 10 methinks - see what you guys make of it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRlGQvOxDwI  ;D

andyb
I'm playing The SkinCell Daily Quiz - are you??

Offline LIGA girl

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Cicadas
  • Me Simpsonized!
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday March 14, 2007, 11:31:02 PM »
Yes, andyb, pretty bad. How old is it? I'd give it a 9 on the cringe scale.

LG

Offline M@t

• Administrator
  • Admin Geezer
« Reply #39 on: Thursday March 15, 2007, 05:49:01 PM »
and even more strangely boys doing the Shake'n'Vac advert in the playground and giggling inanely  ??? ).

Unfortunately, but sometimes rather amusingly, one of our teacher's at school had the shakes, and because he was also seen hoovering up in the staff room (after a big teacher's bust-up about other messy teachers) he got the nickname "Shake N Vac".

Hey Matt - I've tracked down the Shake'n'Vac advert - cringe factor 10 methinks - see what you guys make of it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRlGQvOxDwI  ;D

andyb

AAAAAAGH that tune..... ;D
AAAAAAGH that skirt......;D
AAAAAAGH the words.... ;D

Serious cringing there!!!!

Still hilarious though. To think, todays air freshener adverts have animated animals in them (the elephant that speaks in a yorkshire accent? How weird is that?

M.