Author Topic: PPP  (Read 5178 times)

Offline trishy

• Registered member
PPP
« on: Saturday November 18, 2006, 10:04:04 AM »
Ive done a bit of research on PPP and I think its what I've got. It started in April this year with a small scaly patch on my right foot.
Went to GP and was told it was just dry skin and to apply moisteriser! :o
6 weeks later I go back and it had covered my entire heel. Was then prescribed Lamisill to try for 4 weeks. Went back again as it had started on my left foot.Asked if I needed to see a derm but was told it was eczema and Betnovate would relieve it. All the time it was getting more and more painful and spreading. Saw GP again, only to be given Dermovate. What a surprise.... It didnt work. If anything it made it worse. I went back to my GP and told him I wasnt happy and wanted to see a Derm, he then informed me there was a 13 week waiting list on the NHS or I could go private at the cost of approx £150 ??? and I would be seen in 2 weeks. I went private and it took the derm less than 5 minutes to diagnose. She also found it in my right ear ( i thought I always suffered ear infections!) and on my right calf.
Within 24 hours of using Dovonex and Diprosalic my feet are now weight bearing. what a relief. Are GPs totally unaware of this condition or is it because it looks similar to Pompholix Eczema?
Thanks for reading  ::)   

Offline masemler

• Registered member
Re: PPP
« Reply #1 on: Sunday November 19, 2006, 03:29:34 AM »
Hi Trishy,  Look at PPP or pustular psoriasis thread.  There is a ton of info for you.  I am sorry you went through what you did.

Offline trishy

• Registered member
« Reply #2 on: Sunday November 19, 2006, 05:29:00 PM »
Thanks masemler, I will check it out. Trishy :)

Offline Guinevere

• Registered member
« Reply #3 on: Sunday November 19, 2006, 07:49:46 PM »
Hi Trishy,

I'm glad to hear that you have been properly diagnosed. Doesn't it just burn your butt though that so many GP's are SO COMPLETELY clueless with so many skin disorders! Hell, I went to 3 different derms that couldn't tell me what I had. I'm so worked up right now about just getting the info OUT there. I have a GP an OB/GYN, a derm and the kids have a pediatrician and I am fully prepared to walk into each and every office next time, arms overflowing with info about my disease. I just don't want anyone else to have to go through years of misdiagnoses, mistreatments, pain etc. OK, I'm done now  ;D I'm glad your feeling better. Good luck!

Lisa~
I refuse to have a battle of witts with an unarmed man

Offline B. Lewis

« Reply #4 on: Monday November 20, 2006, 08:45:18 PM »
Hi, Trishy,

I have PPP also and I went to my dermatologist who was treating me for eczema, which I had on my legs and stomach.  I showed him my feet and hands which looked totally different than my eczema, and he said it was the same! He thought it could possibly be psoriasis but I told him it started with pustules.  I didn't have any pustules at the time that I saw him, though, so he didn't believe me.  My Rheumatologist told me that there was a form of psoriasis that is pustular.  So I asked the derm about it and he started treating me for it.  I guess that it is such a rare form of psoriasis that most doctors don't recognize it.  You are very lucky that Dovonex works for you.  It didn't work for me.  My feet became very raw while I was using it.  I think it is because it prevents the skin from replicating so fast that when the skin peels off, new skin doesn't grow.  I am using Methotrexate (MTX) now and my feet are great!.  I still have a little on my hands but nothing like it was.  I treat any new pustules with Clobetasol.  The MTX helps my Rheumatoid Arthritis so it is a win/win.  I am also on Enbrel for my RA and they use that for PPP also.  Good luck to you.   BJ

Offline trishy

• Registered member
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday November 21, 2006, 12:12:08 PM »
Hi BJ. and Lisa.
Thank you both for making me feel Im not alone! :)
I have been using the Dovonex  for 5 days and although initially there was an improvement I now feel that my feet arnt getting any better. Perhaps Im impatient and expecting miracles! They are much better than before though so I shouldnt complain.
I have RA also but that doesnt cause me too much discomfort at the moment so Im not taking anything for that.
Keep ya chin up you two, We have each other! ;)
Thanks for your thoughts, Trishy :-*

Offline PaulBeck

• Registered SkinCell Member
« Reply #6 on: Friday November 24, 2006, 02:30:13 PM »
Hi Trishy!  :hi:  Welcome to SkinCell!
We COMPLETELY understand the frustration you went through getting a proper diagnosis for PPP.  In fact, the course you followed is almost IDENTICAL to the one I went through.
I haven't heard of Diprosalic - that being betamethasone with the addition of salicylic acid - but I know that Diprolene (betamethasone) is considered only a short term fix and usually isn't used for more than two weeks according to Schering/Plough, the manufacturer.  I think you may wish to discuss that with your derm as it appears that PPP is a VERY LONG TERM thing.  We've got people here that have had it for 42 years!  (Sorry about this bit of bad news  :'(  )
A number of PPP sufferers, and others with difficult and debilitating forms of skin disease such as HS, are getting relief with a variety of medications such as Soriatane (acetretin), Methotrexate and Keflex.  These are all possibilities you may want to explore with your docs/derms.
I'd also encourage you to check in to the PPP thread under Skin Complaints and Skin Disorders.  Lots of good info there.
I've been clear now for some time and am fast approaching a time when I can stop taking Rx medication (completely I hope).  It was a combination of dietary modifications and Soriatane that did the trick for me.  The dietary modifications seem have had the more profound and lasting effects as my derm has told me I can stop taking the Soriatane because I'm so well controlled.  As long as I diligently avoid triggers, I don't flare up.  Triggers for me: stress (this is an almost universal trigger for the majority here), wheat products in certain combinations and alcohol.
Best wishes.
K
Of all species on Earth, only humans are arrogant enough to believe they can actually OWN something.

Offline trishy

• Registered member
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday November 28, 2006, 11:21:42 AM »
Hi Paul.
Thanks for the advice, I will be seeing my derm on 21st Dec so I would like to go in there armed with loads of questions.
I dont hardly drink alcohol as it affects my face and neck and i look like a ripe tomato! :-[
The Diprosalic does indeed contain betamethesone and salicylic acid but Ive been told to use it once a day for 5 weeks along with the Dovonex and I have to say that after 2 weeks of use my feet are the best they've been since I got this PPP. :)
I realise that PPP isn't going to go away completely and I will probably have it for life, but if I can keep it under control by identifying triggers like yourself I will be able to deal with it. (HOPEFULLY)
Im glad to hear yours is under control and you can cut out the RX medication.  :)
Dont you feel soooo much better when you're not in pain!
Keep smiling, Trishy ;)