Author Topic: Hidradenitis treatments  (Read 23742 times)

Offline Heather UK

• Registered member
    • Hidradenitis Suppurativa Support
Hidradenitis treatments
« on: Tuesday July 25, 2006, 11:25:10 AM »
I have had HS for many years now. I have lumps on my thighs and buttocks. I have recently found a large spot on my breast, but I am hoping and praying that this is just a spot/bite/heat spot as it is very hot here lately.

I was wondering what treatments people use whether they are over the counter, prescription, herbal or other.

I have tried antibiotics with no luck and am using the pill which is supposed to help but I have a large outbreak lately.

I was wondering what other things I can try to minimise the spots and pain.

I was thinking of trying hydrogen peroxide, is it safe to use?
Are there any vitamins or minerals that help?
« Last Edit: Tuesday July 25, 2006, 12:02:53 PM by Heather UK »

Offline blunder_boy

Re: Hidradenitis treatments
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday July 25, 2006, 01:22:33 PM »
Hey Heather

Im not a suffer of HS but from what I have read some people have had luck with Vics for soothing purposes!

Just a thought!

Offline lindougan

• Registered member
« Reply #2 on: Friday July 28, 2006, 02:10:44 PM »
Hi Heather, I am new here. But I asked an herbalist Dr. about this and he recommended I do a couple things. First, detoxify the blood because there shouldn't be pus trying to come out everywhere. He suggested a liver and gallbladder cleanse. He also suggested the ollowing and I will include his email for if you have questions. I just ordered the unendenturated whey and transfactor 4. I also ordered Metabolite to help me slow digestion due to hypothyroid.
Good luck... and keep in mind, this was advice to me. Write him for yourself and always check with your DR.

Lindy

From: [name and email addresss removed]  Add to Address Book  Add Mobile Alert 
Subject: Re: Enquiry from website

Hi

The boils are due to a slack immune response. the word supuritva
says it all; suppuration shouldn't occur and usually doesn't with
a good immune response.

Elevate the NK cells by more than a factor of four, and the
resulting immune cascade reaction against the infection, with
4Life Research's Transfer Factor Plus Advanced Formula.

Elevate glutathione, the liver's main support and the body's main
detoxifier and antioxidant, with undenatured whey and 200-600 mcg
selenium. Mannatech's story is that their stuff tends to increase
glutathione, but I can tell you that the science is clear that
the limiting factor for glutathione production in cells is lack
of precursors and Mannatech doesn't provide them. Undenatured
whey provides these precursors in plenty, in an easily-
assimilable format.

Note that infection of all types, and physical degeneration, is
increased in the presence of depleted glutathione. Lots of
clickable clinical refrences are on my glutathione pages:
[URL removed]

OK, you are building you immune system because these infections
shouldn;t ccur at all, and meanwhile, you can cobble up a low-
power electrical current device to clear the infections topically
and very quickly. All it takes is a couple of TENS pads or gauze
pads wet with salt water and a low amount of electrical current
like you'd charge flashlight batteries with. About what current
you can barely feel is more than enough and it won't kill normal
cells if you keep the power down. If you can't do it get someone
who can, or look up the adequate "herpes zapper" for the simplest
tool I've ever that uses just one 9v battery. We've even shrunk
tumours with this $5 electrical cure.

I think you've hit it right that your low metabolism is causing
trouble. You can increase your metabolism as diabetics with
metabolic syndrome do by using the patented amino acids blend
SomaLife gHP as part of your program:
[URL removed]

Obesity, cholesterol (dyslipidemia), and failure to thrive can be
easily corrected with a program but it will take perhap six
months, with further gains mounting for at least 18 months after
that if you continue the program.

Your metabolic rate will also rise on a lower-carb diet and by
using the whey.

Each product or method is remarkable for what it does, and all
work together to normalise whatever fuctions can be normalised
even in people who take thyroid medication.

Just write back if I could be of further assistance.

regards,

« Last Edit: Friday July 28, 2006, 06:16:06 PM by totalfolly »

Offline Margarita4u

« Reply #3 on: Friday July 28, 2006, 05:53:36 PM »
ummmm I don't even know where to start here....it's clear to me that whatever "doctor" you sent this to has absolutely no clue of the nature of HS!!!!  It is very irritating to me that someone would be irresponsible enough to print this here where someone is looking for actual help with HS!!  :spank:  Please do a little research of you own first before coming here with this sort of thing...the cause of HS is unknown (except to your *cough* doctor *cough*) but they do know some things that DON'T cause it, your "doctor" is simply trying to sell a product to anyone who will buy it and it is disgusting!!

HS patients do not have "pus trying to come out everywhere" because of "toxic blood".   ::)  We are prone to infections of the hair follicles of our apocrine glands.  Many with HS have tried colon / liver / gallbladder clense, I have never heard of these type of things causing people to have less boils.  Hell, I don't even have a gallbladder so I guess having a "clean" one of those does not help HS.  :P

The boils are due to a slack immune response

I'm sorry but that is just BUNK and irresponsible to say!! Although those with weakned immune systems are more likely to get boils, the quack, I...I...mean doctor forgot to mention that those with weakened immune systems are more likely to get anything.   I have no immune problems, I'm healthy as an ox but I suffer from HS!!  I have not met a doctor yet who would say they know what causes HS especially after communicating a severe misconception of the disease itself!!

Yes, the condition is still called "Hidradenitis Suppurativa" or "oooozing sweat glands" but that is a MISNOMER that stuck on an under analyzed condition...

Pathophysiology: The condition has classically been thought to occur when apocrine gland outlets become blocked by perspiration or are unable to drain normally because of incomplete gland development. Secretions trapped in the glands force perspiration and bacteria into surrounding tissue, causing subcutaneous induration, inflammation, and infection. However, more recent studies have indicated that hidradenitis suppurativa is caused by follicular occlusion first, which, in turn, occludes the apocrine glands and causes perifolliculitis. Therefore, it is actually a disorder of the terminal follicular epithelium located in the apocrine gland-bearing skin areas, which may better be termed as acne inversa.

It sounds to me like you "doctor" looked up the latin words in the dictionary and made some huge incorrect assumptions about our condition based on the literal meaning of latin words that are admitedly out of date.  It is not as if we are walking "pus bags"!   We are prone to a specific type of infection in specific hair follicles of specific glands!!  But then again, who cares about that when they are trying to sell a product right?!?!

This is despicable and I will be reporting this post to the moderators!

« Last Edit: Monday July 31, 2006, 07:38:54 PM by Margarita4u »

Offline 1

• SkinCell Grand
  • Of War.
« Reply #4 on: Saturday July 29, 2006, 02:36:13 AM »
You Go Girl  :clap:

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
  • The best medicine is caring and affection.
    • Eureka Ideas Unlimited, Anthropositor's Posts,   To Obama
« Reply #5 on: Sunday July 30, 2006, 11:17:05 AM »
Hi Margarita,
So nice you took care of this matter with such vigor. :shakehug:
Anthropositor
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." Chinese Proverb.

"What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn examine first before you decide"-- Confucius

Pray to the Gods, for the Gods are not unless you pray to them.--Don Marquis

Offline Margarita4u

« Reply #6 on: Monday July 31, 2006, 07:53:11 PM »
Thanks Anthro and Ryan  :hugs:

I hope people will read my comments before they haul out the TENS pads and the 9V batteries!!!  ::)  :roll:

GAH!  People like this make me sick   :-X

BTW to Heather: I currently just use diet and exercise to manage my symptoms (low fat diet and 45 mins a day cardio).  I was on a two week course of Doxycycline when I was first diagnosed but I have no idea if that helped me or if it was the diet and exercise that did it.

The spot on your breast, did that go away?
« Last Edit: Monday July 31, 2006, 07:56:37 PM by Margarita4u »

Offline Heather UK

• Registered member
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday August 01, 2006, 08:54:48 AM »
Hi Margarita4u, Thank you for your reply.  :)

I still have the spot on my breast. It doesn't hurt but it is large and red.

Still praying it is nothing.

I also found a spot under my armpit. I again am praying it is just a spot probably caused by my epilator. This spot is much smaller.

I just dread them appearing under my arms and on my breasts as then they might end up looking like my thighs which look terrible.

I might have to just try eating healthier and exercising more too. I am going on holiday later this year and I don't want the spots that I have on my thighs to stop me from walking about and having a good time.

What does vics do, should I try it?

My thigh has very large painful boils at the moment.
« Last Edit: Tuesday August 01, 2006, 08:58:10 AM by Heather UK »

Offline Margarita4u

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday August 01, 2006, 12:15:49 PM »
Sorry to hear you are having some troubles  :hugs:

They are just the peskiest things!!   :-\  Vics helps some by easing the pain of current boils and drawing them to a head faster so they don't last as long.  Most of my scarring is on my inner thighs as well but in the last few years I have begun to get some scarring under both breasts and although my armpits are fairly scar-free I get the occasional lump there as well.  I wear sleeveless shirts all the time because in my mind I just don't know how long they will be an option for me so I'm going to wear them while I can!  :)

Have you tried tanning the inside of your thighs in a tanning bed?  That does seem to allieviate some of the scarring.  I use a benzoil peroxide wash on the thighs for the blackheads we tend to get.  Also, swimming is a great exercise you can do when you have boils so that there is no pressure on them while you exercise and the chlorine in pools has a shrinking / drying effect on the boils.  Try it out!  ;) 
« Last Edit: Tuesday August 01, 2006, 12:18:09 PM by Margarita4u »

Offline Heather UK

• Registered member
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday August 01, 2006, 12:26:12 PM »
Thank you for your help. I will try vics.

Where can I get a benzoil peroxide wash wash?

Also do you know where I can get hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Thanks again  :)

Offline Margarita4u

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday August 01, 2006, 12:30:17 PM »
My wash is prescibed by my Derm.  I'm not sure about the hydrogen peroxide but isn't that mostly used to prevent open wounds from getting infected?  I do suspect it would have some of the same drying / shrinking affects that chlorine does.

Offline Heather UK

• Registered member
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday August 01, 2006, 12:31:47 PM »
Thanks again, you have been a big help.

Will try your ideas out  ;D

I hate this skin disease  :'(

Offline Heather UK

• Registered member
« Reply #12 on: Thursday August 03, 2006, 10:25:48 AM »
I am using vicks now and it does seem to help cool the spots and numb the pain.

I am pretty sure the one on my breast is HS. What are the chances of me getting more there?

I am taking zinc. What mg should I use as the doctor just said a high dose?

Can I just check, there isn't really anything I can get from the doctors that really makes a difference with HS is there? Antibiotics don't do a thing.

When I went to the dermatolagist, he recommended the next things to try are Lymecycline and the roccutane. I have heard many bad things about roccutane so I am not really wanting to try that.

Is Lymecycline any good?
« Last Edit: Thursday August 03, 2006, 10:58:25 AM by Heather UK »

Offline Margarita4u

« Reply #13 on: Thursday August 03, 2006, 12:22:53 PM »
I am using vicks now and it does seem to help cool the spots and numb the pain.

:clap: WONDERFUL!  :bighug:

As far as the chances of getting more on your breasts I really cannot say, there's no telling with this disease  :'(  I find that it picks spots that it "likes" for a while and seems to break out there no matter WHAT you do to the area and then, seemingly with no rhyme or reason it will leave you alone altogether or pick a new spot and go crazy on it  :-\  There is no telling.  Right when I was getting the least amount of brekouts that I had ever experienced before in my life and the ones I did get were very mild they decided to go to a spot they had never been before on me, my belly.  I, like you, wasn't even sure if it was HS because I had never gotten them there before and they seemed a little different feeling in that area, it's confusing and scarry when you get them somewhere new.   I'm sorry but no one can tell you if that will be a new area of concern for you or not  :( but here's the best I can do!   :cf:  I will hope not with all my might!!  :hugs:

Here's a post on SC regarding zinc and HS http://www.skincell.org/yabbse/index.php/topic,14770.0.html or we could get Anthro to tell you all he knows about zinc but expect to be here for a loooooooooooong time  :roll:

So far from my Derm I have gotten Doxycyline which did seem to help me and the benzoil peroxide wash I was telling you about but there are cases of people getting Acitretin, for example, from the Doc and going into complete remission for some time.  The tricky thing about your question "there isn't really anything I can get from the doctors that really makes a difference with HS?" is that different things work for different people so there really is no telling  :'(  It's trial and error but it's important to find a Derm who will work with you on an ongoing plan of management for the ones you have and work on limiting new ones that works for you no matter how many different approaches you need to try but also read up on side effects of things and don't take things you are not comfortable taking and ask a lot of questions, it's your body!!!  If the Doc needs to go look it up and tell you next time when you come to him / her with a question, that's totaly fine, I would much rather hear "I don't know but I'll find out" from a Doc then hear them stamper around and make stuff up  :roll:

I have never heard of Lymecycline, but of course you know, anything that ends in "cycline" is an antibiotic?  Roacctine is an acne medicine so I would be curious as to the point of that, pretty sure I would tell them "thanks but no" on the acne meds.  I do use a benzoil peroxide wash on my affected areas which is also used for acne (and says so right on the bottle) but I only use that for the black heads that we tend to get in our lovely boil-prone parts.

Hope that helps a little, glad to hear you are getting some relief  :peck:

Offline Heather UK

• Registered member
« Reply #14 on: Thursday August 03, 2006, 12:28:24 PM »
Thank you very much, lots of information  :)

I am always worried about things, but now I am worrying that the spot on my breast could be a form of breast cancer. It is so large and doesn't hurt at all. I am probably just being paranoid but I am tempted to go to the doctors about it.

Offline Margarita4u

« Reply #15 on: Thursday August 03, 2006, 02:19:34 PM »
I am probably just being paranoid but I am tempted to go to the doctors about it.

The way I see that one is if you are "just being paranoid" then it never hurts to see the Doc to put your mind at ease, but if you erred in the other direction and didn't go when it turned out to be something that you should be worried about then you have made a serious mistake because early detection makes the difference between life and death in those situations.  I say don't put it off one more second!! Call your Derm today!!!  :nod:  That way you can be sure to be around to worry about something else if you're like me.   ;)  You could let them know that you are having good results from the Vicks while you are there so that Derm can pass the info on to any HS'ers in their care.  :hugs:

I went once for a bump on my leg that was funny looking and didn't go away.  They biopsied and it was a benign tumor but my Derm praised me up and down for having the good sense to get it checked out.  I know it's scarry but just take a deep breath and get through it, you'll be glad when it's all done.  :hug:

Offline Heather UK

• Registered member
« Reply #16 on: Thursday August 03, 2006, 04:27:59 PM »
Thanks for your reply.

I have an appointment with the doctor for tomorrow. Unfortunately I cannot make an appointment with my dermatologist directly. I have to be referred from the doctor each time.

I am hoping when I go in tomorrow he will say that it is nothing to worry about. If I heard it was HS that it would actually put my mind at ease! Would they have to biopsy as it is a red lump or can they tell straight away if it is nothing?

I just hope that it is nothing as I don't want to ruin my holiday with it either.
« Last Edit: Thursday August 03, 2006, 04:31:02 PM by Heather UK »

Offline Heather UK

• Registered member
« Reply #17 on: Saturday August 05, 2006, 09:48:56 AM »
The doctor said he is pretty sure it is relaed to my HS.

He gave me flucloxacillin 500mg 4 times a day for 2 weeks.

I was thinking about taking probiotics as well, anyone else do this?
« Last Edit: Saturday August 05, 2006, 10:32:03 AM by Heather UK »

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
  • The best medicine is caring and affection.
    • Eureka Ideas Unlimited, Anthropositor's Posts,   To Obama
« Reply #18 on: Sunday August 06, 2006, 07:59:37 PM »
Hi,
You are not likely to do yourself any harm with probiotics.  But rather than take something that is labeled "probiotic" you may find that it is more economical just to eat live-culture yogurt, kefir, acidophilus milk, natural cheeses, etc. with some regularity.  You can even use yogurt and kefir topically, but with HS, be extra cautious.  And even such odd fermented foods as saurkraut can have some "probiotic" activity.

Now, as to zinc.  It is an essential trace mineral.  But a little goes a long way.  Ingesting more than 30 mg a day for more than a week or two is probably not prudent.  Count all sources in your total.  Consider what is in your multivitamin-mineral along with whatever form, such as zinc gluconate, that you might be taking.  It is also readily available for topical use as zinc oxide ointment.  You could experimentally use it on a small HS lesion for a short time, but be very cautious.  The only problem I have with HS is, it hurts my friends, like Margarita :hug:.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." Chinese Proverb.

"What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn examine first before you decide"-- Confucius

Pray to the Gods, for the Gods are not unless you pray to them.--Don Marquis

Offline Heather UK

• Registered member
« Reply #19 on: Monday August 07, 2006, 08:41:09 AM »
Many thanks, you have all been such a great help  :)

Offline Margarita4u

« Reply #20 on: Friday August 11, 2006, 12:29:25 PM »
The only problem I have with HS is, it hurts my friends, like Margarita

Anthro!   :hugs:  You are so sweet!

Heather, so glad the Doc was "good news" or at least better than your worst fear news  :hugs:

Hang in there and let us know how you're doing!

Offline Heather UK

• Registered member
« Reply #21 on: Saturday August 12, 2006, 10:58:58 AM »
The spot on my breast is going buy just had a outbreak on my thighs. Extremely painful. I cannot walk much at all  :'(

Offline ket

• Registered member
« Reply #22 on: Sunday August 13, 2006, 09:15:35 AM »
Hi Heather
Hope you feeling better today hunny! sorry to hear you got another outbreak!
Keep smiling  :), thinking of you and hoping you feel better soon.

liz xx
Smile everyday no matter wot life throws ur way :-)

Offline Daisey

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Little Angels
« Reply #23 on: Sunday August 13, 2006, 06:27:56 PM »
Heather~

I hope you get some relief soon  :bighug:

Daisey
Life is a wonderful journey, enjoy every day, be thankful for love, & live for the moment! :-)

Offline Heather UK

• Registered member
« Reply #24 on: Monday August 14, 2006, 08:20:25 AM »
Thank you all for your support.... it is great to feel like someone cares  :bighug:

Offline peta

• Registered member
« Reply #25 on: Sunday August 20, 2006, 05:56:53 AM »
Hi Heather, i had been recommend to rub OXY10 into affected area, i just got one on my breast and thats what doctor had suggested  she also put me on antibiotics (distaph 500) 4x daily 4 6days and also put me on the pill (dianne35). Hope something helps for you. Take care

Offline Margarita4u

« Reply #26 on: Tuesday August 22, 2006, 01:24:04 PM »
Hey Peta  :hugs:

Do you feel any of that stuff is working for you?  Any side effects from the pill?  I am kicking the idea around of going on the pill but I'm over 35 so it might not be worth the risk of blood clots for me.  :(

Offline smokey

• cheeky girl!!!!
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday August 29, 2006, 10:27:26 PM »
hi heather, i have hs too, and have a lump the size of a gobstopper or a large marble on my breast its not painful i call it my third boob! ;D I tried flucloxicillin didnt work for me but i hope it works for you, and i tried oxytetracycline that didnt work either, im now on a combination of rifampicin and clindamycin and though the side effects are nasty im going to persevere with them the result i hope will be better than the symptoms of the disease.

why dont you read some of the other posts on the forum especially i think its one by toonyamad or something like that, it might scare you but you will see that its not the end of the world some people are worse than you and i.

i cried when i read them, and it made me realise that im one of the luckier ones if you like because, im not that badly afflicted.

i hope you find something that works for you, keep in touch and let us all know how you get on, sharing this is the only way to spread the pain which may lessen it for some and help with finding products and treatments to relieve the symptoms even if its only for a while :hugs:
Life is for living, not worrying about tomorrow.

Offline GScar

• May your days be pain free.
« Reply #28 on: Saturday September 02, 2006, 08:12:08 AM »
and meanwhile, you can cobble up a low-

i about fell out when i read this past. OMG who in their right mind would 'cobble up' something that shocks you. and i'm telling you right now if it cost $5 and is an elctical device you shock yourself with i'm staying away from it. this guys has no clue what HS even is and it is so obvious.

Offline B. Bass

• Registered member
« Reply #29 on: Saturday June 01, 2013, 08:03:05 PM »
Hi Heather, I am new here. But I asked an herbalist Dr. about this and he recommended I do a couple things. First, detoxify the blood because there shouldn't be pus trying to come out everywhere. He suggested a liver and gallbladder cleanse. He also suggested the ollowing and I will include his email for if you have questions. I just ordered the unendenturated whey and transfactor 4. I also ordered Metabolite to help me slow digestion due to hypothyroid.
Good luck... and keep in mind, this was advice to me. Write him for yourself and always check with your DR.

Lindy

From: [name and email addresss removed]  Add to Address Book  Add Mobile Alert 
Subject: Re: Enquiry from website

Hi

The boils are due to a slack immune response. the word supuritva
says it all; suppuration shouldn't occur and usually doesn't with
a good immune response.

Elevate the NK cells by more than a factor of four, and the
resulting immune cascade reaction against the infection, with
4Life Research's Transfer Factor Plus Advanced Formula.

Elevate glutathione, the liver's main support and the body's main
detoxifier and antioxidant, with undenatured whey and 200-600 mcg
selenium. Mannatech's story is that their stuff tends to increase
glutathione, but I can tell you that the science is clear that
the limiting factor for glutathione production in cells is lack
of precursors and Mannatech doesn't provide them. Undenatured
whey provides these precursors in plenty, in an easily-
assimilable format.

Note that infection of all types, and physical degeneration, is
increased in the presence of depleted glutathione. Lots of
clickable clinical refrences are on my glutathione pages:
[URL removed]

OK, you are building you immune system because these infections
shouldn;t ccur at all, and meanwhile, you can cobble up a low-

I think you've hit it right that your low metabolism is causing
trouble. You can increase your metabolism as diabetics with
metabolic syndrome do by using the patented amino acids blend
SomaLife gHP as part of your program:
[URL removed]

Obesity, cholesterol (dyslipidemia), and failure to thrive can be
easily corrected with a program but it will take perhap six
months, with further gains mounting for at least 18 months after
that if you continue the program.

Your metabolic rate will also rise on a lower-carb diet and by
using the whey.

Each product or method is remarkable for what it does, and all
work together to normalise whatever fuctions can be normalised
even in people who take thyroid medication.

Just write back if I could be of further assistance.

regards,

I am felling sleepy because of the length of the post. But i am having the same. and i also ask the same help.

Offline B. Bass

• Registered member
« Reply #30 on: Sunday June 02, 2013, 12:22:09 PM »
and meanwhile, you can cobble up a low-

i about fell out when i read this past. OMG who in their right mind would 'cobble up' something that shocks you. and i'm telling you right now if it cost $5 and is an elctical device you shock yourself with i'm staying away from it. this guys has no clue what HS even is and it is so obvious.

It is really funny.,lol

How can it cost just $5 ?