Author Topic: The Ten Commandments of Psoriasis  (Read 26775 times)

Offline LOX

• SkinCell God
    • Maple Tree Studio
The Ten Commandments of Psoriasis
« on: Saturday June 24, 2006, 03:42:00 PM »
Some have seen this from me before in Private Messages, but I thought it was something worth posting on the forum for all to see.
It might help to get you through your day a little easier.

The following major points of consideration when dealing with psoriasis are a culmination of things that I have learned during my journey into, through, and out of the awful disease known as psoriasis. I would like to impart them to you, since I feel that they are of utmost importance.

In no particular order, I give you:
 -THE TEN COMMANDMENTS OF PSORIASIS

1.) Don't be ashamed of yourself.
Do not feel ashamed of your body. Feel free to go out in warm weather wearing short pants, shirts with short sleeves, bathing suits and other warm weather attire. You're still the same person you were prior to getting psoriasis, so why treat yourself differently now. Be proud of who you are. We are ALL special in our own way. Never forget that.
-Life is short, enjoy yourself.

2.) Educate yourself.
Read, read, read. Learn about every aspect of psoriasis. Learn all you can about the types of psoriasis, types of treatments used for it, side effects of various treatments, the functions of the various organs and systems in the human body, prescription medications, healing herbs, research being done, etc..  This forum is an invaluable source of information.
-Knowledge is Power.

3.) Be good to yourself.
Don't abuse your body with unhealthy habits and unhealthy food. If you simply focus on improving your overall health, there is an excellent chance that your symptoms of psoriasis will hit the road, since it no longer has an accommodating home to live in.
-Good Health is True Wealth. 

4.) Manage your stress.
Try yoga, meditation, walking, visualization, music, hobbies, reading, yard work, prayer, etc. Do whatever it takes to get stress under control. Even if stress seems to have no adverse effect on your psoriasis, stress is not good for anyone's health, whether you have psoriasis or not.
-If you have a problem and there IS a solution, why worry about it. If you have a problem and there is NO solution, why worry about it.

5.) Keep a positive attitude.
Always try to look on the bright side of things. This takes on special importance when things seem to be at their worst.
-Every dark cloud has a silver lining.

6.) Beware of charlatans.
Be very skeptical of quick fixes. Steer clear of the snake oil salesmen. Be cautious about using harsh lotions, sprays and drugs on and in your body claiming that you will instantly be cured of psoriasis.
Do your homework before you purchase something from a questionable source.
Click on the link below for a long list of scam products. Some are unsafe and cannot be legally sold in the U.S. A.:
http://www.pinch.com/skin/pshame.html
This relates to Commandment #2 (educate yourself).
-If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

7.) Be careful not to sunburn.
Sunburns can be disastrous for anyone, particularly if you have a bad skin disease like psoriasis. A severe sunburn can send a person straight to the hospital “ psoriasis or no psoriasis. Take in the sun, but be careful.
-Less is More.

8.) Use caution with things that come in contact with your skin.
When bathing, showering or just washing your hands and face, always use lukewarm water, a little on the cool side. Be careful when using a soap or lotion that you are not familiar with. Some types of soap can have an adverse effect on your psoriasis. This also applies to moisturizers, sun tan lotion, chemicals used in swimming pools, the ink used in tattoos, household cleansers and detergents, cosmetics, hair dyes and sprays, deodorants, shaving creams and gels, and even fabrics used in articles of clothing.
-Caution is key.

9.) Moisturize often.
When you find a moisturizer that works well for you, use it often.
-Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize.

10.) Consider alternative treatments.
You do have other options besides traditional drug and light treatments. There are books available and a wealth of information throughout this forum that addresses natural treatments for psoriasis. Besides a very effective way of treating the disease, a natural treatment will give you the added bonuses of:
-   A sense of self-empowerment. You will feel great that you conquered psoriasis on your own.
-   No harmful side effects.
-   Your overall health will improve. Better health = longer lifespan = more time to enjoy the grandchildren.
-   A natural treatment is about as close to a REAL cure as you will ever get with any treatment. Reason: Those who choose it and rid themselves of the disease are usually those who learn how to keep it away for good.
(healing + permanence = cure)                       
-   Inexpensive.
-   It will not disrupt your home life or work life.
-   Interesting. You will learn about healing foods, oils, vitamins, enzymes, herbs, stress management techniques, and all things pertaining to a natural treatment.
-   You will not get a feeling that you're being experimented on. A natural treatment for psoriasis is, for all practical purposes, pretty standard among most people.
-   No need to worry about losing your favorite physician due to moving or the physician leaving the practice and then trying to find another one that you like. You are your own physician. If you move, your physician moves.
-   No needles. Some prescription medications are administered by needle. Who likes needles?
       -You are the captain of your own ship. There's the wheel, take hold of it.

NOTE: It might be a good idea to print out this list of ten and post it on your refrigerator.
« Last Edit: Friday January 05, 2007, 12:45:12 AM by LOX »
To concur illness, a change of attitude is often necessary.

Offline totalfolly

• SkinCell Friend
  • Crazy Cat Hero
    • Jo & Co. in Virginia
Re: The Ten Commandments of Psoriasis
« Reply #1 on: Saturday June 24, 2006, 07:02:27 PM »
These are good suggestions for anyone suffering with pretty much any skin condition.

totalfolly

"If you hear a voice within you say 'You cannot paint'
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced."
 -- Vincent vanGogh

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: Sunday June 25, 2006, 12:32:43 AM »
Excellent suggestions, LOX :)

Offline hkregisseuse

• Registered member
« Reply #3 on: Sunday June 25, 2006, 01:26:57 PM »
Lox, thank you.

I'm a psoriasis sufferer and have been lurking in this forum for a while. Recently things have been very tough, lost my job, lost a long-term relationship and the advent of rare hot weather in the UK compounded with the fact that I have to cover up before going out in public have led me to having a mini emotional breakdown and some rather terrifying, desperate thoughts of self harm.

Your posting today, along with your regime posting has meant that a ray of sunshine has broken through the grey clouds for me. It is reassuring to know that I am not alone and that there is hope in treating and living with P.

Thank you.

Offline Cari2

« Reply #4 on: Sunday June 25, 2006, 01:33:48 PM »
Hang in there, 'H'! 
"Now I've been happy lately, thinking about the good things to come And I believe it could be, something good has begun. 
Oh I've been smiling lately, dreaming about the world as one
And I believe it could be, some day it's going to come."
Cat Stevens

Offline Wooley

• Retired Moderator
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: Sunday June 25, 2006, 08:34:54 PM »
Welcome to SkinCell hkregisseuse.

Make sure you come and visit us and talk when you feel you need to, ok?

:hugs:

Wooley

Offline hkregisseuse

• Registered member
« Reply #6 on: Monday June 26, 2006, 09:06:22 AM »
Thank you Cari2 and Wooley. Much appreciated! :-)

Offline LOX

• SkinCell God
    • Maple Tree Studio
« Reply #7 on: Saturday July 01, 2006, 12:28:09 AM »
Thanks for the kind words of appreciation for my Ten Commandments of Psoriasis post. Of all the many posts I've written during the past 2 and a half years or so on a couple different skin related forums, this one is perhaps the one I am the most proud of.

I am especially glad to hear that it helped brighten the day of someone.

Earths_Angell

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday July 11, 2006, 11:02:20 AM »
Wow thats amazing thanks for sharing that  :)

Offline LOX

• SkinCell God
    • Maple Tree Studio
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday July 11, 2006, 11:38:39 AM »
You are quite welcome, Earths_Angell .

Offline EX-itchell

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday July 12, 2006, 08:01:13 AM »
Lox,
I've only just read the 10 commandments post, and I wanted to add my praise too :clap:

I agree wholeheartedly.

EX-itchell
<i> <font colour="orange"> ItChElL </font>

Offline LOX

• SkinCell God
    • Maple Tree Studio
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday July 12, 2006, 11:17:40 PM »
You are also quite welcome, EX-itchell.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Offline LIGA girl

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Cicadas
  • Me Simpsonized!
« Reply #12 on: Saturday July 22, 2006, 10:12:28 AM »
Yes, I think those commandments would help me with my skin complaint too ..... you doont know untio you have a skin complaint how much it can affect your life and how debilitating it can be (and how little the medical profession seems to be able to help!)

Offline LOX

• SkinCell God
    • Maple Tree Studio
« Reply #13 on: Saturday July 22, 2006, 10:16:20 AM »
Very best of luck to you, LIGA girl.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Offline LIGA girl

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Cicadas
  • Me Simpsonized!
« Reply #14 on: Saturday July 22, 2006, 10:39:21 AM »
Hi Lox

I posted a reply to you on another board where you gave us your secret 

LG

Offline LOX

• SkinCell God
    • Maple Tree Studio
« Reply #15 on: Friday January 05, 2007, 12:46:25 AM »
I'm bumping this up to the top, since I feel it is of great importance to those who are newly diagnosed with psoriasis (or other skin diseases) and/or this forum

Offline LIGA girl

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Cicadas
  • Me Simpsonized!
« Reply #16 on: Friday January 05, 2007, 01:09:07 AM »
Lox, why dont you ask for it to be made sticky ... that will keep it at the top

Offline totalfolly

• SkinCell Friend
  • Crazy Cat Hero
    • Jo & Co. in Virginia
« Reply #17 on: Friday January 05, 2007, 01:10:19 AM »
I was just thinking about stickying it.  ;D

totalfolly

"If you hear a voice within you say 'You cannot paint'
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced."
 -- Vincent vanGogh

Offline LIGA girl

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Cicadas
  • Me Simpsonized!
« Reply #18 on: Friday January 05, 2007, 01:15:15 AM »
Great minds ....

LG

Offline LOX

• SkinCell God
    • Maple Tree Studio
« Reply #19 on: Friday January 05, 2007, 01:52:11 AM »
Thanks.

I should celebrate, since this is my first post that made "Sticky Status."

:beer:

Offline LIGA girl

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Cicadas
  • Me Simpsonized!
« Reply #20 on: Friday January 05, 2007, 01:54:14 AM »
Cheers, then Lox .... :slosh: I'll drink to that, but is with organic wine of course ....

Offline Blue Bird

• SkinCell Grand
  • Lyricist
« Reply #21 on: Sunday January 07, 2007, 05:32:30 AM »

Thank You Lox, those "Ten Commandments of P" are inspiring and so very beautiful.

I don't have Psoriasis, but I have had a skin problem for the past 2 and 1/2 years. The whole experience has caused me to be only a shell of my former self. Your words almost lifted the heavy burden off of me by making me stop being so hard on myself, after falling into a spiral of depression brought on by an itchy, burning, annoying facial skin condition.

Although the skin condition used to be on my cheeks, nose, forehead and chin, after a lot of experimenting with prescription creams, natural remedies and everything else, I now only have this one dreaded "thing" on my chin. It is not exactly psoriasis, but it might as well be. It causes me endless humiliation and dread
which leads to feeling melancholy and nervous. It has certainly affected my self image and everything in my life as a whole. Posts like yours, LOX, help me more than you might know, to start to crawl out of my dark moods and frustration  and maybe one day I will feel more normal, like I used to be.

Sometimes I think it will always be there, and sometimes I think it will go away, when I see it retreating I think the lesion is starting to resolve, and that sometimes makes me feel more normal. But, whenever I wake up, the same thing seems to just still be there. I hate it.

Your poem seems to speak to me, too, and I think the honorable Total Folly was absolutely correct when she said that your "Ten Commandments" could be applied to any skin condition or skin disease. Her statement is certainly true for me, because I totally relate to everything you wrote and it touched my heart in a way that brought tears to my eyes.

How can I thank you enough for shining a light into my heart, one that seems to be broken from the unresolvability of a stupid little skin problem that could have chosen to crop up anywhere on my whole body, but it is only on my chin, it had to crop up on my face, the one thing that we all have to use to face the world.

Thank you again and again for reaching out to those around you like that, I really like your attitude and I only wish that I could feel the same way you do. Well, maybe one day, I will. My family sure hopes so, I know that. I hope your thoughts sink in and take hold of my melancholy as time goes by. Bless you a thousand times.

When we understand that there is no up without a down,no over without an under, no good without a bad, no light without dark, no hot without cold, no yes without a no, we understand wholeness, and we cease to be disturbed, distressed, or perplexed by the illusion of anything less than wholeness.

Offline LOX

• SkinCell God
    • Maple Tree Studio
« Reply #22 on: Sunday January 07, 2007, 12:58:36 PM »
You are very welcome Blue Sky. I am glad that my post helped to shine a light on your day. Your post did the same for me. Thanks.

It is certainly a blessing that we all now have a forum such as this that gives us the ability to give and receive support with others from all parts of the world.

My only other recommendation would be to keep posting here regularly.

Best -

LOX

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
  • Administrative Bleeper!
  • Token Nutcase :D
« Reply #24 on: Monday August 13, 2007, 05:44:28 PM »
I have never noticed this before. As punishment, I will forever know that it took me until now to see it.

Beautiful words, not just for P, not just for skin, but for life!!
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline rise_against_girl

• Registered member
« Reply #25 on: Friday September 28, 2007, 01:32:35 AM »
i just read the ten commandments they were really helpful, thank you :-*
"When hope becomes a strange place..."

Offline Toecutter

• Registered member
Re: The Ten Commandments of Psoriasis!
« Reply #26 on: Saturday May 14, 2011, 09:56:01 AM »
I agree 100 percent! As a 32 year old male, I was barely hanging on to my job,was riddled with pain in my joints,my whole head was flaking thick chunks of skin off,my legs arms and arms were the same,I had gone to the Doctor and was told I would have to take pain killers and use steroid creams etc for the rest of my life,I struggled through every day at work determined to hang on to my dignity of earning my own living at least.Id cry lots,Im a clean living person and enjoyed exercise,showered twice a day-then to see someone look at you and almost grimace,hurts,it hurts real bad.I didnt bother with the painkillers or steroid creams,I changed my lifestyle!
Now at 42 I have got more control on things and have learnt a huge amount.I was convinced from early on that foods had a major effect,and certainly i would say day to day chemicals/washing powders etc etc!!Im new here so Im hoping to chat to people who have suffered the same and share our experiences and hopefully it can help someone else!