Author Topic: Sea Salt  (Read 11272 times)

Offline sillyspirit

• Registered member
Sea Salt
« on: Thursday June 15, 2006, 09:59:05 PM »
Taking a bath with some sea salt helps the itch...helps me sleep better at night......wont clear up any skin problems but sure is nice not to be so itchy and my skin alittle softer.  Hope it works for anyone who trys it.

Connie

Offline Lapesca

• Registered member
    • Dead Sea Health Spa Ltd
Re: Sea Salt
« Reply #1 on: Friday June 16, 2006, 05:01:36 PM »
My excema has improved so much after visiting Jordan on business. I normally really start to suffer this time of the year and I don't like to keep using steroid creams to 'heal' my sore bits. Particularly I itch in my armpits...now I'm a hundred percent better, I hope it lasts !! ;D

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
  • The best medicine is caring and affection.
    • Eureka Ideas Unlimited, Anthropositor's Posts,   To Obama
« Reply #2 on: Friday June 16, 2006, 05:26:24 PM »
Hmmmmmm.  Just trying to figure this out Lapesca.  Do you suppose that if I took a trip to Jordan and took a nice salty bath in a spa of some sort there, it could help the rash I get from being fed a canned meat-product like... oh I forget the name for it.  Can anyone help me?
Anthropositor
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." Chinese Proverb.

"What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn examine first before you decide"-- Confucius

Pray to the Gods, for the Gods are not unless you pray to them.--Don Marquis

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #3 on: Friday June 16, 2006, 06:52:28 PM »
WOW!  I can't believe it!  I don't even need to go to Jordan!  I was hunting around on the internet for a jar of Unguent de la Mountebank and I came across something even better.  I found this place where I can get a whole kilogram of mud from the lowest place on Earth (and therefore from the lowest people on Earth) for only $28 plus 17.50 in British pounds for shipping and handling!  I wonder what that comes to at the current exchange rate?  It can't be over $70US.  For a whole kilo of MUD! 

I really, REALLY wanted the Unguent de la Mountebank stuff because of all the wonderful things I've heard about it, and I know there is plenty of it out there, sold by some of the biggest pharmaceutical companies in the world.  But meanwhile, anytime I can get a jar of MUD and it's only going to set me back seventy bucks, well, I've just GOT to!  Got to go now.  Have to hurry to get my order in.  With a value like this, They are likely to run out quick!
Anthropositor
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." Chinese Proverb.

"What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn examine first before you decide"-- Confucius

Offline Alohamora

• SkinCell God
« Reply #4 on: Friday June 16, 2006, 07:25:50 PM »
$70 huh? 

I think I'll just keep on with my $2.79 epson salts baths. 

You are what you eat.

Offline Nick

• SkinCell Friend
  • SkinCell buddy
    • SkinCell
« Reply #5 on: Friday June 16, 2006, 08:11:45 PM »
... oh I forget the name for it.  Can anyone help me?
Anthropositor

Ahh, you mean SPIM ?   ... Nahhh surely not - pull the other ring-pull ;D

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #6 on: Friday June 16, 2006, 08:16:51 PM »
Aw Gee Aloha,
Do you think I should go back to looking for the Unguent de la Mountebank instead?  Maybe you're right.  But I was SO looking forward to smearing a big steaming pile of mud all over me!   ...Okay, you win.  And thanks dear.  Yours is an opinion I have grown to trust.
Anthropositor

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #7 on: Friday June 16, 2006, 08:19:27 PM »
Close Nick, but no cigar.  Let's mess with the vowel a bit...
Anthro

Offline Wooley

• Retired Moderator
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: Friday June 16, 2006, 08:44:52 PM »
SPOM? ... oh no wait that's a fish isn't it?

Offline totalfolly

• SkinCell Friend
  • Crazy Cat Hero
    • Jo & Co. in Virginia
« Reply #9 on: Friday June 16, 2006, 09:36:29 PM »
SPUME?  Oh, wait--no E.

totalfolly

"If you hear a voice within you say 'You cannot paint'
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced."
 -- Vincent vanGogh

Offline Alohamora

• SkinCell God
« Reply #10 on: Friday June 16, 2006, 09:43:43 PM »
Don't get me wrong Anthro, I like mineral bath salts.  It's salted canned meat products that I've aquired an aversion to.

( I do hope sillyspirit isn't too put off by our mumblings and grumblings. )

« Last Edit: Friday June 16, 2006, 09:48:08 PM by Alohamora »
You are what you eat.

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: Saturday June 17, 2006, 02:38:15 AM »
 ;D ;D :roll:

But really, sillyspirit, if you are still here, I too have found that swimming in the sea helps my skin (for me though, I think it is the combination of both the salt water and the sun) :)

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #12 on: Saturday June 17, 2006, 06:18:23 AM »
I feel so misunderstood.  I wasn't going after Sillyspirit.  I'm not much for soaks in saltwater, but whatever seasons your popcorn.  I'm glad it's working for her and wish her well.  I do hope she is getting her sea salt in the local supermarket so her bath will cost her a dime (or a few pence).

But LAPESCA!  Consider yourself swatted with a grey velvet glove in challenge for a verbal duel.  And you can bring your daddy (partner in your lucrative little...endeavor.)  If you have even a smidgen of honor, have your second contact me here.  Otherwise.... :spank: shame on you.
Anthropositor

Offline Wooley

• Retired Moderator
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: Saturday June 17, 2006, 08:16:09 AM »
Anthro, believe me you haven't been misunderstood!

;)

Offline Alohamora

• SkinCell God
« Reply #14 on: Saturday June 17, 2006, 01:29:58 PM »
I didn't misunderstand Anthro.   I was concerned about sillyspirit, since she's new here and hasn't come back to the thread.  I did wonder if she caught your meaning.

Anyway, salt water (sodium chloride) soaks didn't do anything for me.  Epsom salts (magnesium) feels relaxing though I can't say it did anything for my skin, everything was already healed by the time I tried it.

It looks like there's places on the net that sell dead sea salt (mostly magnesium and potassium) for 2 or 3 bucks a pound for 5 to 10 pound containers.  But I can get the epsom salt from the local drug store with no shipping charge. ($3 for 3 pounds)

Soaking in a nice warm tub sounds much more appealing to me than applying mud all over your skin.

You are what you eat.

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #15 on: Saturday June 17, 2006, 05:01:56 PM »
Hi Aloha,
Just off the top of my head and without any research at all, I am inclined to be less unenthusiastic about either magnesium chloride or potassium chloride (in modest amounts) added to the bath water, on occasion.  You can get a few ounces of potassium chloride at your supermarket (usually in the same area as salt).  Morton makes two varieties, NoSalt and LoSalt.  NoSalt is straight potassium chloride.  LoSalt is a combination of potassium and sodium chlorides.  You may find a trace of some anticaking substance in them as well.  I occasionally use NoSalt in my cooking as a balancing electrolyte to sodium, combining it with regular salt, to my taste.  I do reccommmend it, used in this way, for anyone wishing to reduce their sodium load in their diet.

I went blueberry picking yesterday picking perhaps 5 quarts.  The gallon (almost 4 liters) I bought for $8.  The rest (in my stomach) were free.  So, of course, I stuffed myself.  Then I went out for a steak dinner.  I am a bit phobic about throwing away food, due to occasional periods of involuntary abstinence in my life.  So when I leave a restaurant, my plates and bowls are EMPTY, and any bones are in transit to my dog.  And when I cook at home, even my egg shells are ground and returned to my chickens or applied to my garden.  I waste NOTHING if I can possibly help it.  Ooops... I feel a rant coming on...

Okay, I'm better now.  When I was eating all those blueberries, various carnivorous bugs were eating me without my even noticing!  When I finally got home I discovered at least thirty new volcanic craters exuding lymphatic lava.  If I had thought of it, I would have had a bath with a few of those salts thrown in, but instead, I just keep scraping off the new lava-domes when they form.  Some of them are like little grains of clear amber...
Anthropositor

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #16 on: Saturday June 17, 2006, 08:04:03 PM »
 :hugs: for anthro... I think you were on the money regarding Lapesca...

As far as the sea salt goes, I think that for me (and this is by no means scientific), it's the mild antiseptic qualities of the salt, COMBINED with the sun - which, btw, is an immune suppressor (and for eczema, this would obviously quiet the immune response), that helps.  It seems to "fry" my patches.  I've tried replicating at home and I do not get the same effects.  I can't seem to get the bath water salty enough to replicate the sting of the sea, and of course, no sun in my bathroom ::)

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #17 on: Sunday June 18, 2006, 01:42:45 AM »
Hi Itchy,
I agree with you.  What works for each of us in the complexities of our own personal battles to normalize our own particular skin difficulties, takes precedence over any general theories and opinions.  I think you exercise considerable thought, imagination and good judgment in your treatment modalities.  To your health.
Anthropositor

Offline sillyspirit

• Registered member
« Reply #18 on: Monday June 19, 2006, 05:28:51 PM »
I'm still here everyone.... First off I buy my sea salt at a health food store for 50 cents a pound and use about a cup in bath water. I wouldn't be on here talking about it if it didn't help me....just wanted to be nice and help out anyone who is open minded suffering with skin problems.  I don't own a store or a business selling sea salt.

Offline totalfolly

• SkinCell Friend
  • Crazy Cat Hero
    • Jo & Co. in Virginia
« Reply #19 on: Monday June 19, 2006, 05:44:50 PM »
Sillyspirit, nobody here was questioning your motives, and none of these remarks were directed at you.  :hugs:

totalfolly

"If you hear a voice within you say 'You cannot paint'
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced."
 -- Vincent vanGogh