Author Topic: Prevention of Viral Respiratory Infection; colds, flu, SARS, H5N1, v. pneumonia  (Read 116465 times)

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
  • The best medicine is caring and affection.
    • Eureka Ideas Unlimited, Anthropositor's Posts,   To Obama
Re: Prevention of Viral Respiratory Infection; colds, flu, SARS, H5N1, v. pneumonia
« Reply #240 on: Thursday May 14, 2020, 05:16:26 PM »
 What problems do we have to work out?  Apparently that was a rhetorical question, from the response.  Let's just proceed.

Take a two inch long paperclip and insert the pizza-slice shaped little wedge between the two little "fingers" of the clip, with the "crust" (curved) edge going in first, just far enough, that only the point of the piece extends slightly beyond the end of the clip.  Tip the point over the end of the clip as you insert the cotton/clip assembly into the nasal passage.  Put a fingernail just at the outer edge of the slice.  Now, withdraw the clip.  (Do not pinch the clip while doing this).  Just pull the clip out, leaving that cotton in exactly the position it needs to be in, but conforming precisely to the contours of your particular nasal passage.  Take the second wedge and repeat the same process on the remaining side of your nose.

If you did this correctly, you will now be able to close your mouth and breathe in slowly, with only slight restriction of your inhalation.  This is exactly what you want!  Your inhalations should be through the nose.  Your exhalations can be out the mouth or nose or a combination of the two.  The essence of this is an extra level of intake filtration, added to the mask you will also be wearing to protect others against your possible symptom free infection of others.

Although I used to recommend coating the nasal passage with a liberal amount of oil on a Q-style swab, much, much less oil is needed, because you do not want to unnecessarily saturate the cotton wedge, slowly clogging it prematurely.  Just roll the Q-tip against a hard surface, eliminating the excess.  I'll cover some additional details over on the Miscellany Section, as time allows.  Any questions that occur to you may be asked here or there.  To your health!  Anthropositor
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." Chinese Proverb.

"What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn examine first before you decide"-- Confucius

Pray to the Gods, for the Gods are not unless you pray to them.--Don Marquis

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
  • Administrative Bleeper!
  • Token Nutcase :D
Re: Prevention of Viral Respiratory Infection; colds, flu, SARS, H5N1, v. pneumonia
« Reply #241 on: Saturday May 23, 2020, 12:36:41 AM »
I'm late to the party, Anthro, but I'm here! thank you so much for alerting me to the freshly re-active posts!

I will admit I went on a searching frenzy for you on Facebook. As soon as I saw you were temporarily addicted, I researched a ton of the only name I had for you... with no success, which probably doesn't come as a huge surprise. The quarantine has aggravated my ADHD quite a lot, so focusing is even harder than usual. I eventually gave up and came back.

But if you're so inclined, I'm Amanda Mae on Facebook... add Oak Harbor to narrow it down. I'd love to have you on my friends list.

Back to business! I have several hesitations about your new filtration method. The first is I'm worried about sneezing it out. Or it simply falling out. Secondly, my (very limited) understanding of N95 respirators is that they employ both regular filtration and static electric layers to filtrate things in two ways, whereas this only does the former (and would therefore be about as effective as a mask). Finally and most seriously... I'm scared a startled sniff would whisk the cotton slice into my sinuses, requiring professional help to remove. (eek!)

Knotson needs the computer, but I'll be back in a few days.

Welcome back, Anthro. Thanks for trying to save the world.
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #242 on: Saturday May 23, 2020, 08:58:40 PM »
Glad to see you dear, and to get your very valid questions!  So let's dig in.  I used to be a regular on f.  But I do not trust Z as far as I could throw resident rump.  I suspect Z is more duplicitous than even Aaron Sorkin depicted him.  While I am your friend, I won't make that declaration on the f page, in the same way I would never hit the like button.  Aaron Sorkin is a dramatist par excellence, as he proved in the movie, "The Social Network."  I had feared Sorkin had made Z more villainous than he actually was.  Now, I fear Sorkin didn't go far enough, in light of the manipulation of the opinions of the electorate.

I will admit I went on a searching frenzy for you on Facebook. 

Back to business! I have several hesitations about your new filtration method. The first is I'm worried about sneezing it out. Or it simply falling out. Secondly, my (very limited) understanding of N95 respirators is that they employ both regular filtration and static electric layers to filtrate things in two ways, whereas this only does the former (and would therefore be about as effective as a mask). Finally and most seriously... I'm scared a startled sniff would whisk the cotton slice into my sinuses, requiring professional help to remove. (eek!)

Welcome back, Anthro. Thanks for trying to save the world.

I won't address the technical issues of N95 Masks, or their costs.  Perhaps later.  We really have no time for that in this evolving world crisis.

Can the nasal filter be sneezed out?  Yes it can, I am happy to say.  Would a startled sniff whisk the cotton slice into your sinuses?  Not at all likely, but there are some potential mishaps to take some care with.  In the past month and a half, in my testing, I have inserted these nasal filters well over a thousand times, into the nasal passages of my sole test animal, me.  I can say with absolute certainty, this has caused me NO difficulties whatsoever.  In a given day, I really need a couple of dozen at most.

I have noticed that if I have dozed off after a few drinks of a ferment, I have, on occasion, inserted a second filter into a passage which already had a filter in it.  These two filters stacked in the same passage are, together, a plug.  The bottom one comes out again easily.  The one further up is only slightly harder to remove.  Induce a sneeze or blow your nose.  This will do it.  If not, some other simple innovation will.  To your good health!  Anthropositor
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." Chinese Proverb.

"What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn examine first before you decide"-- Confucius

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #243 on: Wednesday May 27, 2020, 07:46:38 PM »
It has been my experience, since the early 1980's, that people in general were very resistant to doing the swabbing of the nasal passages as described, any more than three times a day.  The average was probably once a day, or once every several days, truth be known.  The procedure could not have been simpler.  "Q" style swab, dipped in a vegetable oil, coating the nasal passage for an inch or so, on each side.  I persisted doggedly anyway.

With the Corona Pandemic, that simple procedure is clearly not enough to counter forgetfulness, or apathy, or other distractions that abound in all of our lives.  I have to conclude that there is an actual... aversion, experienced by the great majority of people, everywhere, throughout the planet.

I play chess with players in dozens of countries every week.  Many of those players do not share a common language with me.  Cultural differences can be extreme, and emoji symbols do little or nothing to help.  Very often the hinder.  Yet, I really want to help all the people, of whatever culture, wherever, in view of the urgency of our collective plight.

Having done some research in this, I can tell you, you can go out and spend $10, $20, or more to get nasal filtration contraptions so defective, I will not even describe them even for illustrative purposes.

One annoying member of my Eureka Ideas think-tank, berates me for using a paperclip to insert the cotton filtration wedge in each nasal passage.  He is a piece of grit who may one day, by the very fact that he is an irritant, turn into a pearl in this old oyster's gut.  Another young lady, perhaps in her 50's whom I've known for a quarter-century, had the notion of using a bobby-pin!  A good idea.  But there is quite a variety, and some have sharp, pointed ends, with which some people would find a way to hurt themselves during insertion.  But I encouraged her to come here and share her thoughts.  That was a week ago.  Perhaps she got entangled in a snit, or she will show up, by and by.

I wanted to say something about breathing techniques that are good for you.  Here is not the place.  They are not essential to the filtration.  They just add to the efficacy.  I'll put these thoughts in Miscellany over in the Let Me Introduce Myself section.