Author Topic: Prevention of Viral Respiratory Infection; colds, flu, SARS, H5N1, v. pneumonia  (Read 118350 times)

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
  • The best medicine is caring and affection.
    • Eureka Ideas Unlimited, Anthropositor's Posts,   To Obama
Re: Prevention of Viral Respiratory Infection; colds, flu, SARS, H5N1, v. pneumonia
« Reply #240 on: Thursday May 14, 2020, 05:16:26 PM »
 What problems do we have to work out?  Apparently that was a rhetorical question, from the response.  Let's just proceed.

Take a two inch long paperclip and insert the pizza-slice shaped little wedge between the two little "fingers" of the clip, with the "crust" (curved) edge going in first, just far enough, that only the point of the piece extends slightly beyond the end of the clip.  Tip the point over the end of the clip as you insert the cotton/clip assembly into the nasal passage.  Put a fingernail just at the outer edge of the slice.  Now, withdraw the clip.  (Do not pinch the clip while doing this).  Just pull the clip out, leaving that cotton in exactly the position it needs to be in, but conforming precisely to the contours of your particular nasal passage.  Take the second wedge and repeat the same process on the remaining side of your nose.

If you did this correctly, you will now be able to close your mouth and breathe in slowly, with only slight restriction of your inhalation.  This is exactly what you want!  Your inhalations should be through the nose.  Your exhalations can be out the mouth or nose or a combination of the two.  The essence of this is an extra level of intake filtration, added to the mask you will also be wearing to protect others against your possible symptom free infection of others.

Although I used to recommend coating the nasal passage with a liberal amount of oil on a Q-style swab, much, much less oil is needed, because you do not want to unnecessarily saturate the cotton wedge, slowly clogging it prematurely.  Just roll the Q-tip against a hard surface, eliminating the excess.  I'll cover some additional details over on the Miscellany Section, as time allows.  Any questions that occur to you may be asked here or there.  To your health!  Anthropositor
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." Chinese Proverb.

"What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn examine first before you decide"-- Confucius

Pray to the Gods, for the Gods are not unless you pray to them.--Don Marquis

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
  • Administrative Bleeper!
  • Token Nutcase :D
Re: Prevention of Viral Respiratory Infection; colds, flu, SARS, H5N1, v. pneumonia
« Reply #241 on: Saturday May 23, 2020, 12:36:41 AM »
I'm late to the party, Anthro, but I'm here! thank you so much for alerting me to the freshly re-active posts!

I will admit I went on a searching frenzy for you on Facebook. As soon as I saw you were temporarily addicted, I researched a ton of the only name I had for you... with no success, which probably doesn't come as a huge surprise. The quarantine has aggravated my ADHD quite a lot, so focusing is even harder than usual. I eventually gave up and came back.

But if you're so inclined, I'm Amanda Mae on Facebook... add Oak Harbor to narrow it down. I'd love to have you on my friends list.

Back to business! I have several hesitations about your new filtration method. The first is I'm worried about sneezing it out. Or it simply falling out. Secondly, my (very limited) understanding of N95 respirators is that they employ both regular filtration and static electric layers to filtrate things in two ways, whereas this only does the former (and would therefore be about as effective as a mask). Finally and most seriously... I'm scared a startled sniff would whisk the cotton slice into my sinuses, requiring professional help to remove. (eek!)

Knotson needs the computer, but I'll be back in a few days.

Welcome back, Anthro. Thanks for trying to save the world.
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #242 on: Saturday May 23, 2020, 08:58:40 PM »
Glad to see you dear, and to get your very valid questions!  So let's dig in.  I used to be a regular on f.  But I do not trust Z as far as I could throw resident rump.  I suspect Z is more duplicitous than even Aaron Sorkin depicted him.  While I am your friend, I won't make that declaration on the f page, in the same way I would never hit the like button.  Aaron Sorkin is a dramatist par excellence, as he proved in the movie, "The Social Network."  I had feared Sorkin had made Z more villainous than he actually was.  Now, I fear Sorkin didn't go far enough, in light of the manipulation of the opinions of the electorate.

I will admit I went on a searching frenzy for you on Facebook. 

Back to business! I have several hesitations about your new filtration method. The first is I'm worried about sneezing it out. Or it simply falling out. Secondly, my (very limited) understanding of N95 respirators is that they employ both regular filtration and static electric layers to filtrate things in two ways, whereas this only does the former (and would therefore be about as effective as a mask). Finally and most seriously... I'm scared a startled sniff would whisk the cotton slice into my sinuses, requiring professional help to remove. (eek!)

Welcome back, Anthro. Thanks for trying to save the world.

I won't address the technical issues of N95 Masks, or their costs.  Perhaps later.  We really have no time for that in this evolving world crisis.

Can the nasal filter be sneezed out?  Yes it can, I am happy to say.  Would a startled sniff whisk the cotton slice into your sinuses?  Not at all likely, but there are some potential mishaps to take some care with.  In the past month and a half, in my testing, I have inserted these nasal filters well over a thousand times, into the nasal passages of my sole test animal, me.  I can say with absolute certainty, this has caused me NO difficulties whatsoever.  In a given day, I really need a couple of dozen at most.

I have noticed that if I have dozed off after a few drinks of a ferment, I have, on occasion, inserted a second filter into a passage which already had a filter in it.  These two filters stacked in the same passage are, together, a plug.  The bottom one comes out again easily.  The one further up is only slightly harder to remove.  Induce a sneeze or blow your nose.  This will do it.  If not, some other simple innovation will.  To your good health!  Anthropositor
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." Chinese Proverb.

"What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn examine first before you decide"-- Confucius

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #243 on: Wednesday May 27, 2020, 07:46:38 PM »
It has been my experience, since the early 1980's, that people in general were very resistant to doing the swabbing of the nasal passages as described, any more than three times a day.  The average was probably once a day, or once every several days, truth be known.  The procedure could not have been simpler.  "Q" style swab, dipped in a vegetable oil, coating the nasal passage for an inch or so, on each side.  I persisted doggedly anyway.

With the Corona Pandemic, that simple procedure is clearly not enough to counter forgetfulness, or apathy, or other distractions that abound in all of our lives.  I have to conclude that there is an actual... aversion, experienced by the great majority of people, everywhere, throughout the planet.

I play chess with players in dozens of countries every week.  Many of those players do not share a common language with me.  Cultural differences can be extreme, and emoji symbols do little or nothing to help.  Very often the hinder.  Yet, I really want to help all the people, of whatever culture, wherever, in view of the urgency of our collective plight.

Having done some research in this, I can tell you, you can go out and spend $10, $20, or more to get nasal filtration contraptions so defective, I will not even describe them even for illustrative purposes.

One annoying member of my Eureka Ideas think-tank, berates me for using a paperclip to insert the cotton filtration wedge in each nasal passage.  He is a piece of grit who may one day, by the very fact that he is an irritant, turn into a pearl in this old oyster's gut.  Another young lady, perhaps in her 50's whom I've known for a quarter-century, had the notion of using a bobby-pin!  A good idea.  But there is quite a variety, and some have sharp, pointed ends, with which some people would find a way to hurt themselves during insertion.  But I encouraged her to come here and share her thoughts.  That was a week ago.  Perhaps she got entangled in a snit, or she will show up, by and by.

I wanted to say something about breathing techniques that are good for you.  Here is not the place.  They are not essential to the filtration.  They just add to the efficacy.  I'll put these thoughts in Miscellany over in the Let Me Introduce Myself section. 

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #244 on: Monday June 15, 2020, 11:26:38 PM »
There are times that I eat highly spiced Thai or Indonesian foods.  When I have inserted these cotton filter wedges prior to dining, the spiciness will cause nasal secretions to increase.  If I feel an urge to sneeze,  I do so, blasting out the saturated filters, wiping my nose and continuing to dine on the hot stuff, and not installing the new filter replacements until after dessert.  For those who have not deduced it, I also do not wear my mask while dining.  I do expect the Publlicans, bartenders and other servers to be wearing properly fitted masks, and maintaining proper social distance requirements. 

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #245 on: Sunday July 05, 2020, 03:43:18 AM »
This is a Spanish translation of Post #239 detailing how they may make these nasal filters as a part of their defense against Covid-19, wherever in the world they may be, and whatever their circumstances.
Mi idea original, en marzo, era que, de una forma u otra, una espuma de células abiertas probablemente sería útil como mecanismo de filtración para los componentes microscópicos de la atmósfera terrestre. Mi intención era producir el par efectivo más pequeño de filtros de amplio espectro para su instalación en el colector de admisión respiratoria. Sí, así es, la nariz.

Quería un filtro fácil de instalar (y quitar), a un costo tan bajo, que pudiera quitarse y reemplazarse, muchas veces al día, incluso en entornos rurales, rústicos, silvestres u otros entornos hostiles, y aún estar dentro de los medios de esas poblaciones, sin importar qué otros desafíos puedan enfrentar.

Pasé unas semanas haciendo una lluvia de ideas con el puñado de artículos de espuma de células abiertas dentro y alrededor de la casa. Si bien no los he descartado, se me ocurrieron algunos problemas que necesitarán algunos ajustes. No hay tiempo para hacerlo! Simplificar. Simplificar. Lo mismo con las máscaras, protectores faciales, otros suministros de protección personal. Volveré sobre esto en la Sección Miscelánea.

Después de dejar de lado las espumas de células abiertas, fui al próximo candidato probable; algodón. Estar en cuarentena bastante perpetua no es impedimento para producir unas pocas docenas de variedades. Avance unas semanas. Imagine un disco de algodón peinado en relieve, de 2 pulgadas de diámetro, estampado de una hoja de algodón peinado de aproximadamente ocho pulgadas de grosor. Examina este disco. Tenga en cuenta el grano y el patrón, que recuerda las muescas en una galleta de soda. Ahora, con unas tijeras, córtalo por la mitad. Corta los dos medios discos de nuevo. Ahora tienes cuatro cuartos. Cortar cada uno de los que hacen octavos, exactamente como rebanadas de pizza. Cada una de esas rebanadas es un filtro nasal. Bien, todos, hagan una lluvia de ideas un poco. ¿Ahora que? qué hacemos? ¿Qué problemas tenemos que resolver? 

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #246 on: Monday July 06, 2020, 11:31:46 PM »
This is a Russian translation of Post #239 on making this nasal filter for yourselves:

Моя первоначальная идея еще в марте заключалась в том, что в той или иной форме пена с открытыми порами, вероятно, будет полезна в качестве механизма фильтрации для микроскопических составляющих земной атмосферы. Мое намерение состояло в том, чтобы произвести крошечную эффективную пару фильтров широкого спектра действия для установки в дыхательный коллектор. Да, это верно, нос.

Я хотел легко установить (и снять) фильтр по такой низкой цене, чтобы его можно было снимать и заменять много раз в день, даже в сельской местности, в сельской местности, в дикой местности или в других агрессивных средах, и при этом оставаться в пределах возможностей эти группы населения, независимо от того, с какими другими проблемами они могут столкнуться.

Я провел несколько недель в мозговом штурме с кучей предметов из пенопласта с открытыми порами внутри и вокруг дома. Хотя я не исключил их, у меня возникли некоторые проблемы, которые потребуют некоторой подстройки. Нет времени, чтобы сделать это! Упрощать. Упрощать. То же самое с масками, щитками для лица, другими средствами индивидуальной защиты. Я вернусь к этому в разделе Разное.

Отложив пену с открытыми порами, я пошел к следующему вероятному кандидату; хлопок. Нахождение в довольно постоянном карантине не является препятствием для создания нескольких десятков разновидностей. Перенесемся вперед на несколько недель. Представьте себе диск из гребенного хлопка с тиснением, диаметром 2 дюйма, отштампованный из листа гребенного хлопка толщиной примерно восьмой дюйм. Изучите этот диск. Обратите внимание на зерно и рисунок, напоминающий прорези на крекере. Теперь ножницами разрежьте его пополам. Отрежьте две половины диска снова. Теперь у вас есть четыре четверти. Нарежьте каждый из тех, кто делает восьмые, точно так же, как кусочки пиццы. Каждый из этих кусочков представляет собой один носовой фильтр. Хорошо, все, немного мозгового штурма. Что теперь? Что мы делаем? Какие проблемы мы должны решить?

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #247 on: Monday July 06, 2020, 11:42:50 PM »
This is the French translation of the viral Prevention post #239 in the General Health Section:

Mon idée originale, en mars dernier, était que, sous une forme ou une autre, une mousse à cellules ouvertes était susceptible d'être utile comme mécanisme de filtration pour les constituants microscopiques de l'atmosphère terrestre. Mon intention était de produire la plus petite paire efficace de filtres à large spectre pour une installation dans le collecteur d'admission respiratoire. Oui, c'est vrai, le nez.

Je voulais un filtre facile à installer (et à retirer), à un coût si bas, qu'il puisse être retiré et remplacé, plusieurs fois par jour, même en milieu rural, rustique, sauvage ou dans d'autres environnements hostiles, tout en restant à la portée de ces populations, quels que soient les autres défis qu’elles peuvent rencontrer.

J'ai passé quelques semaines à réfléchir à la poignée d'articles en mousse à cellules ouvertes dans et autour de la maison. Bien que je ne les ai pas exclus, j'ai rencontré quelques problèmes qui nécessiteront un réglage fin. Pas le temps de le faire! Simplifier. Simplifier. La même chose avec les masques, les écrans faciaux et autres fournitures de protection individuelle. J'y reviendrai dans la section Miscellany.

Après avoir mis de côté les mousses à cellules ouvertes, je suis allé voir le prochain candidat probable; coton. Être en quarantaine assez perpétuelle n'est pas un obstacle pour trouver quelques dizaines de variétés. Flash avant quelques semaines. Imaginez un disque de coton gaufré peigné, de 2 pouces de diamètre, estampé d'une feuille de coton peigné d'environ huit pouces d'épaisseur. Examinez ce disque. Notez le grain et le motif, qui rappellent les empreintes sur un biscuit soda. Maintenant, avec des ciseaux, coupez-le en deux. Coupez à nouveau les deux demi-disques. Vous avez maintenant quatre trimestres. Coupez chacun de ceux qui font des huitièmes, exactement comme des tranches de pizza. Chacune de ces tranches est un filtre nasal. D'accord, tout le monde, réfléchissez un peu. Et maintenant? Qu'est-ce qu'on fait? Quels problèmes devons-nous résoudre?

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #248 on: Monday July 06, 2020, 11:52:46 PM »
This is the German translation of Post #239:

Meine ursprüngliche Idee im März war, dass ein offenzelliger Schaum in der einen oder anderen Form wahrscheinlich als Filtrationsmechanismus für mikroskopische Bestandteile der Erdatmosphäre nützlich sein könnte. Meine Absicht war es, das kleinste wirksame Paar von Breitbandfiltern für den Einbau in den Ansaugkrümmer der Atemwege herzustellen. Ja, das stimmt, die Nase.

Ich wollte einen einfach zu installierenden (und zu entfernenden) Filter zu so geringen Kosten, dass er mehrmals am Tag entfernt und ersetzt werden kann, selbst in ländlichen, rustikalen, wilden oder anderen feindlichen Umgebungen, und immer noch im Rahmen von diese Bevölkerungsgruppen, egal welchen anderen Herausforderungen sie begegnen.

Ich verbrachte ein paar Wochen mit dem Brainstorming mit der Handvoll offenzelliger Schaumstoffe im und um das Haus. Obwohl ich sie nicht ausgeschlossen habe, habe ich einige Probleme festgestellt, die einer Feinabstimmung bedürfen. Keine Zeit dafür! Vereinfachen. Vereinfachen. Das gleiche gilt für Masken, Gesichtsschutz und andere persönliche Schutzmittel. Ich werde darauf in der Sektion Verschiedenes zurückkommen.

Nachdem ich offenzellige Schäume beiseite gelegt hatte, ging ich zum nächsten wahrscheinlichen Kandidaten. Baumwolle. In einer ziemlich ständigen Quarantäne zu sein, ist kein Hindernis für ein paar Dutzend Sorten. Flash vorwärts ein paar Wochen. Stellen Sie sich eine Scheibe aus gekämmter geprägter Baumwolle mit einem Durchmesser von 2 Zoll vor, die aus einem gekämmten Baumwolltuch mit einer Dicke von etwa 8 Zoll ausgestanzt ist. Untersuchen Sie diese Festplatte. Beachten Sie die Maserung und das Muster, die an die Vertiefungen eines Soda-Crackers erinnern. Nun mit einer Schere halbieren. Schneiden Sie die beiden halben Scheiben erneut ab. Jetzt haben Sie vier Viertel. Schneiden Sie jeden von denen, die Achtel machen, genau wie Pizzastücke. Jede dieser Scheiben ist ein Nasenfilter. Okay, alle zusammen, ein bisschen Brainstorming. Was jetzt? Was machen wir? Welche Probleme müssen wir lösen?

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #249 on: Tuesday July 07, 2020, 12:03:18 AM »
This is a Chinese translation of Post #239:

我最初的想法是在三月,當時以一種或另一種形式,開孔泡沫很可能用作陸地大氣微觀成分的過濾機制。我的意圖是生產最小的一對有效的廣譜過濾器,以安裝在呼吸進氣歧管中。是的,沒錯,鼻子。

我想要一個成本低廉,易於安裝(和拆卸)的過濾器,使其可以一天多次更換和更換,即使是在鄉村,鄉村,荒野或其他惡劣環境中,也仍然可以使用這些人群,無論他們可能遇到什麼其他挑戰。

我花了幾週的時間與房子內外的一些開孔泡沫物品進行頭腦風暴。雖然我沒有排除它們,但我提出了一些問題,需要進行一些微調。沒時間做!簡化。簡化。口罩,口罩和其他個人防護用品也是如此。我將在“雜項”部分中再次討論。

將開孔泡沫放在一邊後,我去找下一個可能的候選人。棉。處於永久隔離狀態並不妨礙提出幾十個變種。快閃幾週。想像一下一張直徑約2英寸的精梳壓紋棉盤,是從厚約八分之一英寸的精梳棉片上模壓而成的。檢查該磁盤。注意顆粒和圖案,讓人想起蘇打餅乾上的凹痕。現在,用剪刀將其切成兩半。再次切割兩個半盤。現在您有四個季度。切成八分之一,就像切比薩餅一樣。這些切片中的每一個都是一個鼻過濾器。好的,大家集思廣益。現在怎麼辦?我們做什麼?我們必須解決什麼問題? My gift to the people of the Earth.  Anthropositor