Author Topic: Prevention of Viral Respiratory Infection; colds, flu, SARS, H5N1, v. pneumonia  (Read 83181 times)

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
  • The best medicine is caring and affection.
    • Eureka Ideas Unlimited, Anthropositor's Posts,   To Obama
Re: Prevention of Viral Respiratory Infection; colds, flu, SARS, H5N1, v. pneumonia
« Reply #220 on: Sunday January 25, 2015, 11:56:36 AM »
Seems a pretty serious flu season this year, along with a concomitant measles epidemic.  Once again, I'll be skipping the flu shot.  I'm getting stronger than I have any right to expect.  I have encouraged my wife to get it, but she too feels pretty resistant.  Not easy for me to make an issue of it since the shot this year is not particularly effective.  We do, however, engage in the procedures outlined on this thread with considerable regularity.

Measles is out of place on this thread.  But it is also out of place in the population.  If you are in a country with an outbreak of measles going on, get the shot, particularly if you are young enough not to have had measles. 

I'll leave it at that, since I'm dealing with some routine winter emergencies, and am distracted by my study of the evolution of mitochondria and complexities of liver and kidney function.  All fascinating subjects.

To your good health.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." Chinese Proverb.

"What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn examine first before you decide"-- Confucius

Pray to the Gods, for the Gods are not unless you pray to them.--Don Marquis

Offline CalamityJane

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Whimsy
  • Dogs speak every language!
Re: Prevention of Viral Respiratory Infection; colds, flu, SARS, H5N1, v. pneumonia
« Reply #221 on: Sunday January 25, 2015, 06:14:23 PM »
Nice to "see" you again! Thanks for the good post and advice. I did get a flu shot, so keeping my fingers crossed!

Jane
It's a good day when you laugh!

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #222 on: Monday April 13, 2015, 04:18:58 AM »
Well, Here it is April and the flu season is about at an end.  Earlier I said I wasn't going to get the shot in spite of advancing years.  I didn't get the shot and didn't get the flu.  Now spring has brought the allergy season, according to others around here, but oiling up the nose works pretty well for that as well.

I actually expected to have some unusual problems this year because I have been applying diatomaceous earth (no earth really, just the skeletal remains of diatoms, a fine talc-like substance) to about half an acre of the land immediately around our rustic dwelling.  For the first three years here, we were extremely troubled with ticks, fleas, chiggers, mosquitoes, and smaller bugs leaving no sign but bites, which were perhaps the most numerous of all.

My neighbors virtually all scatter toxic pellets and spray insecticides in substantial amounts without much regard for their own safety, believing wrongly in my opinion, that the bugs provide the greater danger.  I have opted instead to use diatomaceous earth, garlic powder in standing water to kill mosquito larvae in all standing water, and several other herbs and spices.  My results are still preliminary, this being the first season, but we are well into it now.  Bites from all sources seem to be down by as much as 90%.  I am encouraged enough to commend these methods to others.  To your health.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." Chinese Proverb.

"What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn examine first before you decide"-- Confucius

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #223 on: Friday April 22, 2016, 06:30:22 PM »
With the death of Prince at only 57, we are reminded of the seriousness of influenza.  It is my considered and educated opinion that, no matter how easy the procedure, it is unlikely that more than a tiny fraction of the population will do it regularly.  Regrettable, but not much to do about it.  Now that flu season is pretty much behind us, those who are miserable  due to airborne springtime allergens can reduce their distress considerably, utilizing the same procedure.

Now, we are faced with seemingly new threats from emerging diseases like Zika becoming, in a very short time, an incredibly horrible and dangerous crisis.  Early conjecture was that it is only of concern in the first trimester of pregnancy.  We can expect many expert opinions of this sort to fall by the wayside as the crisis spreads and evolves.  My heart goes out to present and future victims of Zika.

I am in the idea business.  A big part of that territory is being wrong.  Last year, I reported some success in reducing bug bites in general.  But my application process, dusting the land with diatoms was not practical.  It was time consuming, labor intensive and wasteful.  One heavy rain and all the effort is washed away.

I could have just gone on the same way.  After all, bites were seriously reduced.  But I was squandering pounds of diatoms, not to mention the labor.  I had a lot more work to do.  Compared to oiling up the nose to prevent viral infection, which after all, only takes a few minutes a day,  the way I was using diatoms took twenty times as long.

This year I changed the technique, beginning as winter waned, well before the last hard freeze.  Instead of applying the diatoms to the land,  I applied the dust to both my skin and to the interior surfaces of my clothing, with extra emphasis to the socks, into which my trouser cuffs are tucked.  Sometimes, I initially prepared my skin with EVOO in the Roman way.  I presume any cooking oil would do just fine.

Disclaimer: The bloody lesions on my arms (that were my reason for coming here in the first place) have been gone now for years.  Others here have much more intractable skin problems.  What I am doing now with diatoms and olive oil, could conceivably cause some complications in your particular skin condition.

My particular health concern was that my lungs have seen better days.  The lower lobe of my right lung is gone, along with a rib I would rather have kept.  Diatoms cannot be applied to the skin in the way that I do it, without a few million particles becoming airborne.  I, of course, wish to minimize inhalation of this dust as much as possible.  So I use the procedure which is the theme of this topic (oiling up the nasal passage to prevent viral infection) because it also filters fine dust.  On top of doing this, I also negatively ionize the air, precipitating out the dust to the nearest positive surface.  To date, I have experienced no noticeable congestion.

That about covers it for now.  Hello to any who may remember me. 

Offline CalamityJane

• SkinCell Grand
  • of Whimsy
  • Dogs speak every language!
« Reply #224 on: Monday April 25, 2016, 04:21:39 AM »
Hello, and nice to 'see' you again!

Your posts have always given to pause to think, and this one is no different. The Zika virus worries me for everybody but mostly pregnant woman (although for the life of me I cannot fathom why a pregnant, or pregnant hopeful), would travel to those areas. One bite here anywhere on me produces a very sore, large red welt and swelling to go along with it. Hoping my newly installed screens over my windows will help somewhat.

I've have done the nose coat, so to speak, but have normally used an OTC ointment which seems to be quite effective. Don't need very much.

Very foolishly I went out into my garden (I use that term loosely), but wanted to get some blackberry vines away from things I like, plus ivy, morning glory (no glory there IMO).....the vines were long and quite high, but I cut them into pieces about a foot long or so.....and away from a clematis....While I was at it a thought drifted through the fog that I should have my jeans in my socks.......

A couple of days later, I found some largish bites on my ankles (just 2 or 3), but left leg, had 6 much smaller bites of something just below the knee at the back......not itchy, just there. Plus now some bigger ones on my left thigh........

Something must have flown, crawled up my pant leg, I'm guessing......so here endeth my lesson!

Always good to see a post from you!

Jane  :hi:
It's a good day when you laugh!

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #225 on: Saturday February 18, 2017, 04:38:44 AM »
Hello folks!  We are, once again, close to the peak of flu season.  I have turned 76 so I think hard these days before deciding against the vaccine, in favor of using the prophylaxis outlined in this thread.  (New people might want to go to the top of this thread to get oriented).  last year I came back with some thoughts about Zika, a horrible disease affecting unborn children.  Since my wife is now 80, Zika viral infection was not exactly a pressing issue in our household, in spite of several mosquito species capable of carrying Zika are readily available in the surrounding woods and streams, in all stages of development.  Last year, I spent some effort observing several kinds of larvae, live, under the microscope.  I was in hopes of finding an easy way to kill the larvae.  If there is such a way, I have not yet been able to find it, and currently have no hot new things to try.

I am working with less clients and chess students these days, so even at the peak of flu season, I wouldn't be all that concerned.  But my wife still works with a lot of public, and will not be persuaded to take a few months off, at least until the season is over.  Another factor is that many of the people my wife works with spontaneously hug her.  That, coupled with the fact that she spontaneously licks her fingers when she counts her money, a lifetime habit which is so ingrained that she does not know she does it, even after the dozens of times I point it out to her while her fingers are still damp.  I understand that this season, protection from the shot is about 50% effective.  Not so good, considering that going to the physician or to another source to get the shot also exposes you to other people desiring protection, who may already have the flu, but who may not yet be symptomatic.  No perfect answers.

Sometimes illness is a rude surprise.  We know not from whence it comes, or how serious it could be.  On the evening of the greatest disaster the United States or the world has recently experienced, I, like most, was literally in shocked, deep depression.  Under the circumstances, this was to be expected.  Apparently, a physiological manifestation of my distress was about to distract me from my psychic misery.  In essence, my body was about to add injury to the insult I was already experiencing from the body politic.  And similar sorts of things were happening in various other seemingly reasonable environs on the planet.  But I do not wish to digress.

Many of you may know the years I have spent working on my extremely elevated blood pressure.  In the absence of proper care from the HMO which should be supplying it, my wife and I had no options for care than the Emergency Room of a hospital.  This is the most expensive way one can receive treatment, and is certainly not a good option for refugees of advance age, our sort.  I had succeeded, by my own experimental means, in getting my blood pressure to drop about half-way to where I wanted it to be.  A good start. 

In any case, on the day after what I like to refer to as Brexit times three for America and the rest of the world, I had an explosive urge to dump my solid wastes.  My body suddenly had my entire attention when I turned and saw considerable evidence of both hematochezia andand melena, both simultaneously.  One would not expect to see these two conditions at the same time.  I was bleeding from very high in the G.I. tract, near the stomach, and very near the colon (the other end), at the same time!   How refreshing.  Some other sh*t to hold my attention.  Okay then, an ironically good time for it.

The hemorrhages went on for a couple of weeks as I tried to get the intestines back to health.  A week went by, the two.  I comforted myself that my blood pressure was not likely to kill me now, with both sides in the double-digits.  (Joke). I used a cane in each hand, and planned all my movements carefully.  I instructed my wife what to do should I become unresponsive.  I'm guessing I may have lost a few quarts of blood, but it was over a long period of time.  And I was making new blood deliberately as soon as I saw that I really had to do that.  So maybe I was never more than a quart light, at any given time.

Meanwhile, from about a month and a half before the election, my permanently estranged elder sister informed me that she wanted to see if it was possible to set aside a trumpian tower of bygones of Tolstoyan proportions.  Our dialogues went on by phone and electronically, perhaps forty or so contacts, several of an hour or more duration.  I found it hard to get out of serious mode.  That hurts us all, folks!  Taking things too seriously.  Too personally.  Troubles often come in bunches.  Mirth and joy are worth going after, but they often come singly and may need some tending.  If you can't find it, fake it.

So swab the nose, don't lick your fingers when counting money, wash your hands a lot and keep them clear of the nostrils.  But really discover your happiness.  Be easy with yourself and those in your life.  That could be your best medicine. 

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #226 on: Thursday August 31, 2017, 03:14:30 AM »
Hurricane Harvey poses problems unprecedented in American history.  As this event continues to evolve, it will test the mettle of all of us in the region to get our bearings as best we can.  Let us try for some perspective at this particular early point, while the emergency continues to evolve.  Katrina, the hurricane more than a decade ago, took approximately 1800 human lives.  So far, Harvey has taken perhaps 20.  An ongoing monsoon in Mumbai, India has killed a reported 1200.  How many of us even noticed?  How many of us have an idea of the current number of clearly genocidal wars that are ongoing today?  I'll not dwell on it.  The subject at hand is respiratory infection of various kinds which have the potential to very quickly mutate into pandemics of global magnitude.

It is worthwhile to note, however, that disease prevention is complicated much more in environments where thousands upon thousands are jammed together under Spartan conditions including exposure, privation, and extreme overcrowding of throngs of refugees who have already lost everything they own, and are suffering the existential shock of starting their lives again from scratch.

My wife and I lost our home eight years ago.  Being of advanced age, it was exceedingly difficult to begin again.  Yes, we are unlikely ever to retire.  She, in her eighties, and myself in my late seventies are also unlikely ever to live in a rest home.  The cost is prohibitive and probably will remain so.  My blindness of a few years, nine years ago, is now just a past nightmare which ultimately had a happy ending.  My eyes now both work scintillatingly well, exactly according to my game plan.

So I say this to the current crop of abject refugees where ever in the world you may be; Don't lose heart!  Fear is the mind killer.  And under your emergency circumstances, get some cooking oil somehow, and especially if you are in an overcrowded emergency shelter somewhere, under adverse conditions, swab your nasal passages several times a day with the oil.  Peace be upon you all.

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #227 on: Wednesday November 01, 2017, 09:11:09 AM »
Computer acting up in storm so this will be short.  H7N9 Avian influenza, newly discovered in 2013 has evolved dangerously.  It is now killing 40% of humans infected in China.  Ferrets, the best human proxy appear to have a considerably higher death rate after aerosol transmission from ferret to ferret, but in terms of the numbers, the sample is small.  This is one to watch and be well prepared for. Along with the prevention presented here, it might be prudent to increase vitamin C intake to four or five grams a day in the absence of negative indicators.