Author Topic: Prevention of Viral Respiratory Infection; colds, flu, SARS, H5N1, v. pneumonia  (Read 111893 times)

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
  • The best medicine is caring and affection.
    • Eureka Ideas Unlimited, Anthropositor's Posts,   To Obama
Re: Prevention of Viral Respiratory Infection; colds, flu, SARS, H5N1, v. pneumonia
« Reply #180 on: Wednesday September 17, 2008, 08:14:19 PM »
Today, after viewing a website called "Faces of Influenza" by the American Lung Association, I tendered the following invitation:

"Your critical review of the sticky thread on Skin Cell Forum in the General Health section relating to the prevention of influenza, rhinoviruses and other airborne infectious diseases is invited.  I designed the procedure and initiated the thread,  It works excellently for those who do it regularly, and is also quite helpful in reducing allergic responses to airborne allergens."

Wouldn't it be nice if they weighed in with an opinion?  Certainly it is relevant to their activities in improving the health of the populace.  Or so it seems to me.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." Chinese Proverb.

"What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn examine first before you decide"-- Confucius

Pray to the Gods, for the Gods are not unless you pray to them.--Don Marquis

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
  • Administrative Bleeper!
  • Token Nutcase :D
Re: Prevention of Viral Respiratory Infection; colds, flu, SARS, H5N1, v. pneumonia
« Reply #181 on: Wednesday September 17, 2008, 10:12:16 PM »
Do it. Daily. And start NOW. I started yesterday, the day after my cooperating teacher brought a horrible cold into the classroom. As it turns out, it was at least a day too late... I've got that throat tingle. (Icky bad throat tingle!) Heed my warning: this isn't the first time skipping a dose has resulted in icky throat thingies and stuffy cheekbones.
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #182 on: Thursday September 18, 2008, 06:09:22 AM »
Always good to dwell on the positive as well.  Rather than thoughts of missing a dose, I think in terms of the greater comfort of the nose and how refreshing it is to go out into the contagious public with an invisible barrier that you have so easily applied before leaving the house.  This is ten times more effective than the surgical masks in vogue in many parts of Asia and elsewhere during times of possible epidemic contagion.

Since I am not troubled in any serious way with airborne allergens, I never would have noticed that bonus if others hadn't reported it.  So I certainly appreciate that input.

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." Chinese Proverb.

"What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn examine first before you decide"-- Confucius

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #183 on: Thursday September 18, 2008, 12:36:51 PM »
I hope the Lung Association responds, too, anthro.

I will start today, too.  It's only week three of school and both kids have already caught colds.

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
« Reply #184 on: Thursday September 18, 2008, 07:28:50 PM »
You're right, Anthro, and please forgive my negativity. Fact is, this cold is bad and icky but didn't kill me like I thought it would. I thought I was going to be obviously ill and told to go the heck home halfway through the day. As it is, I'm taking tomorrow off, but it feels more like a precaution than anything else.

* Bamawing probably infected all her kids... :el:
I'm more confused than a mood ring on a paranoid bipolar schizophrenic chameleon in a bag of skittles!

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #185 on: Thursday September 18, 2008, 09:01:51 PM »
I can't tell from the symptoms you describe, but two things are more likely,

First, that you do not have a cold, but are reacting to ragweed pollen or another airborne allergen.  Or second, if you do have a rhinovirus, your students gave it to you. 

Like physicians, nurses, hospital workers and patients, teachers are in one of the highest risk professions.  I can think of only one germ vector of greater efficiency than a school child.  Musca Domestica Linnaeus.

If I were a school teacher, I would never swab the nasal passages fewer than twice per workday, before leaving for school, and during lunch break.

Offline Bamawing

• Administrator
« Reply #186 on: Friday September 19, 2008, 10:46:56 PM »
A couple of years ago, when I was at a private school, I only swabbed once a day. (Very often it was in my car, until I realized that explaining why a little bitty bottle of gin is filled with olive oil was going to be difficult. After that I kept it in the teacher's lounge.) I got zero colds that year... very, very odd for a first year teacher. First year teachers are usually dying most of the time, and when you talk to a 30-year veteran, you're dealing with the strongest immune system on the planet.

But in a way, I kinda regret my abundance of good health that year. I had to "call in sick" more than a couple of times simply because the stress of the job was killing me. It bothered me to "play hooky." (That's really the biggest reason I stayed home today. I figure that I had best that whatever "day off" excuse I can get!!) ;)

Also, this cold will probably be finished tomorrow. Dunno if that's due to post-infection swabbing or just good luck, but I'm not asking questions. :)

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #187 on: Saturday October 25, 2008, 04:53:35 PM »
In the mid South USA, right now, we have both high ragweed pollen and high mold counts.  The distress they cause is very difficult to differentiate from the common cold.  Fortunately, this procedure (see post one, this thread) provides considerable relief, even if there was negligence (failure to do it regularly before the onset of symptoms).

If you do get substantial relief of symptoms which began before the swabbing commensed, this is a strong indicator that it is an allergic response to an airborne allergen and not a viral infection.

It is also worthwhile to note that even associated bacterial infections can be playing a part in what is happening.  Doctors and dentists would do well to make this much more clear to their patients.  I have never heard of a medical professional pointing out this very important fact to their patients.

Deep seated periodontal disease is serious, not just because of the consequences to the mouth in terms of receding gums and resulting tooth loss, but because of systemic effects on the rest of the body.

And oral surgery, no matter how popular it is with the oral surgeons, is not the only method of reversal of periodontal disease.  (See the Biting The Dentist, and Broken Fang threads. 

If you do have deep seated, long standing periodontal disease, there is a great deal you can do even without a dentist, and it is very, very improtant for you to do it.  Oral disease has much to do with inflammatory processes affecting the rest of the body, and can increase the probability of such life threatening events like stroke and heart attack.

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #188 on: Wednesday November 05, 2008, 05:51:24 PM »
In the hard sciences, considerable effort is made to isolate elements to be tested to the highest extent possible, to reduce the chance that some outside feature may contaminate the test and cause unintended error.  This is certainly worthwhile but perhaps we carry it to too much of an extreme, which can also lead to failure to understand what is happening.

It has now been a quarter of a century since I first developed the Prevention Method outlined in this thread.  During all that time, I was not entirely slavishly stuck within a preconceived set of testing ground rules.  In invention or discovery, such preconceived limits can really retard important developments.  You cannot precisely plan a route into new and unfamiliar territory.

My original intention was not to "invent" or "discover" something.  It was simply to increase my chances of living to see the year 1990,  in retrospect, a rather modest goal.  When I actually got to 1990, that was the time I actually began to think in terms of teaching as many people as I could.  It was previously not likely for me to go even a year or two without a cold, or flu, or pneumonia, or all three.  And now that it has been a quarter of a century, I have extremely high confidence in the basic procedure, done regularly and correctly.

But certainly, to apply strict protocols would have meant that I could not apply other healthful innovations to my good health.  To the extent that these other things, not previously done, made me healthier, I was to some extent skewing the results of the swabbing.  In other words, to that extent, I was adding new variables, a thing which in "pure" science is not good, but which in real life, in invention and goal-oriented discovery, particularly within a fast and economical time frame, is essential.

Taking more supplemental vitamins and minerals  and other trace nutrients, negate the absolute validity of my testing of the procedure.  I have altered the original test conditions, by increasing the overall health of the test animal (me).  Nor could I expect that others who I taught would apply the same precision, or do the procedure with the same regularity that I did.  We live in the real world, and even in the most rigorous of double-blind tests, these factors play some part.

Another example would be my use of cyanoacrylate glue to reinforce or otherwise repair some of my teeth, or my methods of eliminating advanced periodontal infection without the accepted surgical procedures my dentist had "ordered" me to undergo before I fired him.  (See the threads Biting The Dentist and Broken Fang for more detail on this).

Having ultimately virtually eliminated the advanced periodontal disease by these alternative methods certainly had some impact on my vulnerability to infection in general, including respiratory infections.  So the only rigorously valid portion of my testing was in the eighties.  During the nineties and this most recent decade, these other things probably played some role, and neither I nor anyone else can really say how much.

And in this past year, my loading my diet with very large amounts of Shmooo (see the thread on Shmooo and Maca in the Nutrition subsection) on a daily basis, as the principle test animal and researcher, may also have had considerable favorable impact on my overall well being, also making me less susceptible to respiratory infections of every variety.

I encourage anyone who uses this procedure, not to do it in complete isolation from other healthful actions.  It is  a very important thing to do, but it is not the only thing to do.

See post one of this thread if you have not yet learned how.
http://www.skincell.org/community/index.php/topic,19899.0.html
To your health.
Anthropositor 

« Last Edit: Friday November 07, 2008, 04:27:26 PM by anthropositor »

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #189 on: Friday November 21, 2008, 06:25:18 AM »
A few weeks ago, being out of olive oil and coconut oil. I came up with an old bottle of flaxseed oil.  I'm not crazy about flax oil, since it has a pretty short shelf life.  Besides, with all the Shmooo I eat, flax is probably not important in my diet. 

So, since I no longer had any plans to ingest it, I decided to use it for this procedure.  Sort of counter intuitive, since flax is a dark and somewhat viscous oil.  It also has a bit of a flax odor to it so I was a little concerned about vomeronasal interference.  But it turns out just fine.  The nasal passages are as comfortable as they have ever been with any other vegetable oil.

Doing it daily before going out into the world is far more important than which oil you do it with.

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #190 on: Friday March 27, 2009, 02:18:04 AM »
Flu season got a late start in the southern US, but it is making up for lost time.  Quite a few people are still getting sick.  Usually this is about the time I start to get relaxed about the procedure.  This year, I will continue on for maybe another month, just to be on the safe side.

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #191 on: Friday April 24, 2009, 07:05:12 PM »
New and alarming news.  In the U.S. have been several instances reported of Swine flu with components of avian flu.  Less than a dozen, with no fatalities yet.

But south of the Mexican Border their have apparently been 70 deaths since March from the same or very similar strain.  More later if I cam find a more comfortable seat in another cyber cafe.

Just a heads up though.  Normally this is about the time the flu risk begins to wane a bit.  Anyone notice that things don't seem to be going according to normal patterns this year?

I had very successful eye operations, but well after, developed a bacterial infection that one medical professional speculated might have gotten started during those two short stints in the hospital.  No way to make any real connection though.  All I know for sure is that my white count went way up.  Seemed like it started as strep throat, moved to the chest, then to the left ear.  At least it didn't have the appearance of MRSA, but whatever bacteria it was dined comfortably on tetracycline and amoxacillin for about a month, without so much as a bacterial belch. 

I was running a continuous elevated temp of up to 3 degrees F only occasionally getting it to drop to 99.2, and making me feel my metamorphosis to worm food might not be far off.  I just started to turn the corner yesterday with Cipro.  But I lost fifteen pounds during the last month and about half my strength.

So this flu news is not too great for me.  One thing is sure.  I won't easily be induced to visit anyone in the hospital, and I will be continuing to do the procedure outlined at the top of this thread, two or three times a day.  Time for me to get out of this cyber cafe.

Offline itchychick

• Global Moderator
  • Peachy Sunshine
« Reply #192 on: Friday April 24, 2009, 08:05:21 PM »
Sorry to hear about your illness, Anthro.  I'm glad you are on the mend now.  It takes time to get your strength and energy back, so do take it easy.

I've been following all this about the Swine Flu.  A friend of mine left for Mexico yesterday for a week long holiday.  Luckily they are not in the area where the fatalities have happened, but it makes one wary nonetheless.  I was actually thinking about you this afternoon - you and the proceedure.  I was taking a very long walk, and as my eyes started watering (allergies?), my mind wandered to this flu and the need for vigilance still.  Thanks for the reminder.

Offline Wooley

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #193 on: Saturday April 25, 2009, 09:59:39 AM »
Anthro, I am sorry that you have been so unwell. I hope that you manage to avoid any further illness.

:hugs:

Wooley

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
Re: Prevention of Viral Respiratory Infection; colds, flu, SARS, H5N1, v. pneumo
« Reply #194 on: Friday May 01, 2009, 06:11:30 PM »
Thanks Itchy & Wooley.  Whatever bacteria was doing it to me has found the Cipro about as disagreeable as I have.  And now that the seven day supply is gone, the temperature elevations are lower and of shorter duration.  I am seeing a normal temp at least part of the day every day now, and the peaks are much lower and of shorter duration.  I may regain full strength in a matter of weeks or less.

I wanted to say a few words about this ongoing pandemic worry.  First, a few corrections.  It has been labeled "swine" flu.  There is only the flimsiest notion that this H1N1 strain ever went through a pig.  The closest thing to evidence is that the original presumed epicenter, a small town in Mexico, happened to be near a very large industrial pig farm.  I have no idea if any of the reporters looked around for industrial chicken farms in the neighborhood, or major waterfowl populations migrating through.  My guess is, probably not.

Of course it is worrisome that this particular strain seems to transmit easily, human to human.  And it is always possible for further mutation, but the current facts seem to indicate that, as dangerous influenza's go, this is a pretty mild strain, with a very low mortality rate.  While it it is certainly worth watching with some care, we shouldn't go off the deep end.  Suggesting that healthy people should avoid air travel or public transit systems is panic, as is the closing of entire school systems.  This is over-reaction.

It is not over-reaction to swab the nasal passages with fresh cooking oil as described on post one of this thread.  And if a worse strain should appear on the horizon, even doing the procedure several times a day is a prudent activity.  Certainly far more effective and convenient than wearing all those silly masks.

And of course, simple hand washing, and keeping fingers away from nose, mouth and eyes is prudent as well.

A final note: my recent systemic bacterial infection has kept my immune system in high gear.  This has been extremely inconvenient, and took a lot of the wind out of my sails, but it is not all bad.  For example, I seem to be less troubled by creaky joints.  I have no idea why.  Could be the constancy of elevated temperature for weeks and weeks.  Could be that I lost so much weight over such a short span of time.  For whatever reason, it's a bonus.

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #195 on: Sunday May 03, 2009, 09:28:03 PM »
While there is some danger of "cry wolf syndrome" setting in, making us more complacent in the aftermath of some overreaction to the initial crisis, we should also realize that it is appropriate for public health officials to err on the side of caution. 

The danger is not all immediate.  I think we are very likely to sidestep a pandemic this late in the flu season.  But it is also likely that there will be a hidden reservoir of infected people that could jump start next flu season along with the expected strains we are already planning for.  But that too is a guessing game.

The trouble is there is a lot of guessing involved in designing vaccines.  Not only that, the retail price of these vaccines seems to have quintupled in a very few years.  What will this mean for the budgets of the various countries, especially considering that getting the vaccines out in anything approaching a timely way, in quantities that will protect the populations does not seem in practical prospect.

But even if this alarm settles down without much current illness, we need to watch next season quite closely and develop our best preventive strategies.

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #196 on: Tuesday May 12, 2009, 10:41:46 PM »
Certainly the most economical strategy, and one which can be implemented without public health intervention and the astronomical costs that attend any multinational effort to prevent or contain a pandemic, is for individuals to apply the methods described in post 1 of this thread, and do the other prudent things to maintain optimum health.

It is also worthwhile to note that the consumption of pork products poses no risks whatsoever of viral infection.

Offline Vincent18

• Registered member
Re: Prevention of Viral Respiratory Infection; colds, flu, SARS, H5N1, v. pneumo
« Reply #197 on: Saturday May 23, 2009, 02:41:03 AM »
Thanks for sharing this prevention about the given diseases.

Moderator's Action:
Removed signature spam

« Last Edit: Saturday May 23, 2009, 10:27:16 AM by Uncle Matt-Matt »

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #198 on: Sunday June 14, 2009, 12:47:03 AM »
Well, while I suppose that technically the strain of influenza AH1N1's current spread does qualify it as a pandemic, the designation is a little unfortunate because, so far, it has been such a mild strain.  No large numbers of people are likely to succumb to its' effects.  What this means unfortunately, is that a great many people will be lulled into complacency over the word pandemic itself.

I have noticed an extreme increase in the cost of conventional flu shots which I don't believe is well warranted or justified in any way.  Perhaps it is, in part, due to inflation of the various currencies due to the world economic crisis, but I suspect some rampant profiteering.  I believe, in the last five years, I have seen the signs posted, advertising the shots, going from $5 up to (this year) $35.  That is pretty steep.  And that is just for the general flu shots.  It will be interesting to see what will happen when they produce the vaccine for this "swine" flu.  If I am not wrong, it will not be incorporated into the regular flu shot, which is often for about three expected strains.  I personally think that this is a decision with profit at the base.

Those of you with no unusual health difficulties might best choose to employ the procedure described at the beginning of this thread.

Offline anthropositor

• SkinCell Grand
  • Iconoclast of Ideas
« Reply #199 on: Friday July 31, 2009, 02:23:58 AM »
Well, the AH1N1 "swine" flu strain has some odd features.  Although, to date, it has not been dangerously virulent to very many people, it would appear to be unusually easy to transmit from human to human.  This may explain why the flu "season" has extended this year right into the next influenza season.  I do not immediately recall when this has occurred before.  Maybe never.

It is for this reason that I am becoming a bit more pessimistic about the possibilities.  It is clear that, should this virus get really ugly, either in the numbers affected, or in the severity of the illness produced, we are extremely vulnerable in one very important way.  We will be very short of vaccine throughout the world.  This will mean some sort of rationing will be necessary.

During this part of a typical year, I am usually pretty relaxed about doing the procedure for a few months.  This year, I am not relaxing.  I am continuing to do it twice a day.  It is not a hardship to do this.  Particularly when you consider that you are not only preventing colds and flu, but are also reducing allergic responses to airborne allergens sharply.  From my perspective, there is no downside at all.